Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Are either Marie Antoinette or Defiance worth my time?

Marie Antoinette is pretty boring but it does have a few good scenes and the actors in it acquit themselves pretty well. Once I got over the huge quality disparity between Virgin Suicides and it, I enjoyed it well enough, though it makes a ton of unforced errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

drunken officeparty posted:

Dredd was terrible when it came out and it's terrible now

I dare anyone to come up with a hotter take

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'd be curious to hear someone list something that was terrible when it came out but is good now. I can think of lots of examples that are the reverse of that but can't think of any that were bad and are now good just by virtue of time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jolo posted:

I'd be curious to hear someone list something that was terrible when it came out but is good now.

Glen or Glenda

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jolo posted:

I'd be curious to hear someone list something that was terrible when it came out but is good now. I can think of lots of examples that are the reverse of that but can't think of any that were bad and are now good just by virtue of time.

In a year from now? Mother! and The Bad Batch.

I liked them a lot, but they are polarizing films with an audience that I assume will grow with time.

I think more people will enjoy Downsizing when it moves to streaming.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

married but discreet posted:

this *doesn't* need to be made into a movie

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Jolo posted:

Starship Troopers

E I don't think it was ever terrible, but I'll incorporate the opinions of people who were adults at the time since I was like 10 or so and obviously I'd love that. "Oh no, please don't take me to the ultra-violent space bug movie with the requisite verhoeven nudity," said no 10 year old ever

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 17, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

Marie Antoinette is pretty boring but it does have a few good scenes and the actors in it acquit themselves pretty well. Once I got over the huge quality disparity between Virgin Suicides and it, I enjoyed it well enough, though it makes a ton of unforced errors.

That's pretty apt. Yeah, it's a little boring, but at the same time really interesting. Coppola made some really unique casting choices that worked surprisingly well, and she doesn't treat it as a period piece even though it takes place over 200 years ago.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
This is gonna sound weird maybe, but I thought Tombstone was schlocky garbage when it came out but it's now one of my favorite westerns. I have a hard time defending my original assessment.

E: the dana delaney/billy zane subplot maybe? It's just so overshadowed by literally the rest of the cast today.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

precision posted:

Glen or Glenda

Glen or Glenda owns.

Most of Ed Woods work has improved over time

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A Serious Man is up on Netflix and its very good if there's any of you haven't already seen it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

veni veni veni posted:

A Serious Man is up on Netflix and its very good if there's any of you haven't already seen it.

A Serious Man is criminally underrated and discussed, it’s my favorite Coen bros. movie, which is really saying something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A Serious Man was my favorite until Inside Llewyn Davis, it's great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jolo posted:

I think Speed Racer is gradually getting revisited. Kurosawa's Dreams was savaged upon its release but is looked upon as a classic now. Exorcist III has aged incredibly well.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Jolo posted:

I loving loved the counselor and could never understand why people chose to give it so much poo poo.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

married but discreet posted:

Stallone was a better Dredd.

Also, seconding The Counselor. It's dark as poo poo but wtf who didn't expect that from Cormac?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GonSmithe posted:

A Serious Man is criminally underrated and discussed, it’s my favorite Coen bros. movie, which is really saying something.

That reminds me, it was loved on release and I really liked it when it came out, but my friends and I just rewatched No Country for Old Men and it clicked with me personally now in a way I did not expect.

Also the Big Lebowski wasn’t nearly as adored on release as it was ten years after the fact.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like I'm being boring saying that No Country is my favorite, but what can I say? it's a great movie.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Here's another hot take for you guys: No Country is the only good Coen movie. And it's really good. But the others are watchable at best.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Here's another hot take for you guys: No Country is the only good Coen movie. And it's really good. But the others are watchable at best.

This is spicy af and dumb as hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Woah this one is extremely hot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Here's a hot take: that gum you like? IT'S GARBAGE! IT'S loving RAW! YOU DONKEY!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is helpful that people with lovely opinions are starting to announce themselves ahead of time

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

What are some of your favorite movies?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I will say, I didn’t get the hype around Lebowski when I saw it the first time, but that time I was watching the Comedy Central edit, hadn’t read any chandler, and was also like 15.

In college I took a film class and wrote a scene analysis on the “this is what happens when you gently caress a stranger in the rear end” bit. The professor called me out on picking that scene so I could use “gently caress a stranger in the rear end” over fifty times in a school paper. I also got an A because it’s a well done, complicated scene from a fantastic movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It really surprises me every time someone mentions that Lebowski was pretty much a stinker in the theater. I loved it from jump street.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I don’t think the Cohens have made a bad film.

I have never seen The Ladykillers

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

sponges posted:

I don’t think the Cohens have made a bad film.

I have never seen The Ladykillers

I even liked that one. Intolerable Cruelty is my favorite though. It's exquisite.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Barton fink is a little slow for me

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

What are some of your favorite movies?

If I had to pick one top of all time, it's The Wrestler.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I wasn't too hot on Barton Fink at first either, but John Goodman just loving dominates in that.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

K. Waste posted:

To the Wonder is tight, y'all.
I'm missing something. It's a pretty film, I sure can't fault the DP. Is it that character development through voiceovers as opposed to dialog is artful? Marina is practically a caricature of a free spirit, dancing around like a nymph. They couldn’t resist making Jane dance around a bit, too. Learning forgiveness and a priest's unresolved crisis of faith, I guess, is the compelling part?

Is this one of those inside-joke “jazz is about the notes you don't play” movies film students gush over that regular people don’t get?

Edit: \/ \/ \/ I'm on that bandwagon.

bort fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 17, 2018

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
hot take: Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad

i actually don't know if that's a hot take but they're streaming so

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

SleepCousinDeath posted:

hot take: Better Call Saul is better than Breaking Bad

i actually don't know if that's a hot take but they're streaming so

I don’t know if it’s a hot take either but it’s absolutely true. Every character in Saul is incredible. Chicanery is a masterclass in acting and it’s unbelievable that Michael McKean received no recognition for it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It definitely is

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

bort posted:

I'm missing something. It's a pretty film, I sure can't fault the DP. Is it that character development through voiceovers as opposed to dialog is artful? Marina is practically a caricature of a free spirit, dancing around like a nymph. They couldn’t resist making Jane dance around a bit, too. Learning forgiveness and a priest's unresolved crisis of faith, I guess, is the compelling part?

Is this one of those inside-joke “jazz is about the notes you don't play” movies film students gush over that regular people don’t get?

The voice-overs don't convey the character development, you get that from watching what the characters do. The narration is the self-conscious commentary by the characters, it's them trying to rationalize character development. You're getting hung up on a very common misapprehension about experimental cinema, which is that it's being held outside of the grasp of "regular people." The truth is that Malick has always made very straightforward romantic films as far back as Badlands and Days of Heaven, and his development as a filmmaker has only been towards making them even more cosmetic and refined. He's the Michael Bay of international art cinema.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The religious themes didn’t click for me, and so I got “boring love story” out of it.

Interesting that it was Ebert's last review.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Cohen brothers chat and no one mentions Raising Arizona?!

Shame on you goons.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
The new Godzilla anime movie is on Netflix now and it’s pretty great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Marie Antoinette ... worth my time?

The music is fantastic and they shot on location. It looks great. Worth checking out if you like Coppola's other films.