Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ilor posted:

Cross-posting from one of the painting threads:

Progress! I've been working on some WW2 historicals of late, including some 8th Army Desert Rats:

So that the Afrika Korps dudes I just finished basing will have someone to fight!

Here's British the 2" mortar team:

One thing that always bugs me about multi-based weapons teams is how you handle wounds/casualties. The game for which these minis are intended is Chain of Command, where casualties and "shock" on a unit are integrally important. A lone MG-34 gunner without an a-gunner working hard swapping belts for him is less effective, so you want a way to track multi-man teams. The solution to this (as it is for seemingly all problems) is magnets! The base is a 2" diameter steel plate (i.e. a washer with no hole in it), and the loader is affixed to the base with magnets like so:

Now you see him:

Now you don't:

Mmmm, magnets...

In this last picture, the cracking you see is what happens when you apply DullCote when it's 3 degrees F outside - in the 10 seconds it took me to walk outside, spray my poo poo, and walk back in, it had already crackled like that. These guys need another coat (there's still some shiny bits from the MinWax wash), but I'll wait until it warms up a bit.

How'd you put the magnet on and still have the model flush with the base

Played my first game of Bolt Action and folks its just Black Powder but in the future. This is a good thing.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phi230 posted:

How'd you put the magnet on and still have the model flush with the base
I've drilled holes in the mini such that the magnets are set in, with only maybe 1/32" sticking out. That way, the magnets sit flush to the plate, but there's enough height allowance for the basing sand. In actuality, I could have even set the magnets a little deeper - the loader actually "hovers" above the sand just a tiny bit, but it's invisible at tabletop height.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Those look great, and magnets are always cool. Nice solution to individual casualties.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Cessna posted:

Those are beautiful. Seriously, you're killing me here.

(But I'm awful at plastic. Give me cold, hard metal.)

With the new Victrix Republican cavalry coming out soon in plastic, there won't be any reason to buy metal Republican Romans ever again :getin:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Phi230 posted:

Bolt Action [...] in the future

Boy do I have some bad news for you about a war that happened about 75 years ago.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MeinPanzer posted:

With the new Victrix Republican cavalry coming out soon in plastic, there won't be any reason to buy metal Republican Romans ever again :getin:

Those are beautiful.

But I'm really bad with plastic. I've tried making 28mm plastic Napoleonics, and they were so fiddly. It seemed like I broke Every. Single. Bayonet.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Basically, the problem is twofold: In TY, if a unit in a platoon wants to stay 'in command' of their unit leader, they have to be within 6" of that tank. If they leave that bubble, if they move, they have to try and move back into command-so right away, the rules encourage clumping your unit together. To make matters worse, the physical size of the models is noticeably larger than the previous WW2 vehicles in base Flames, which means that larger units, by necessity, turn into a giant parking lot.

I like TY, and I wish I had the chance to play more of it, but that aspect is... not a good system.
Having been reading the rules properly now that I have a hardcopy, this isn't actually true. Tanks can be much further apart if they are advancing "line abrest" formation. It appears to be at least in part user failure.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Arquinsiel posted:

Having been reading the rules properly now that I have a hardcopy, this isn't actually true. Tanks can be much further apart if they are advancing "line abrest" formation. It appears to be at least in part user failure.

You never want to use line abreast because only the tanks within 6" count for morale. If you kill all those around the leader (and remember you allocate your own hits and soviets have paper for armour), then the middle tank is "on his own", because the abreast tanks are only in coherency, not in command, and he tests to run away (with the rest of them).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Just fukken play Cold War Commander, weird as it is with the whole damage thing.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also wait for NORTHAG

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
This is more milhist than milgame, but you all might appreciate it. I was interested in dueling in the British Army and found this article about "law and honour" in the 18th century army. It includes a review of a couple of court cases where officers were court martialed for conduct unbecoming an officer when they didn't fight a duel. Including in one case where an officer failed to challenge his commanding officer after the CO called him a "shitten dirty fellow."

http://reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Gilbert_00.pdf

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

With the news that Saga 2nd Edition is coming in a few weeks, I decided this would be a good time to jump in. Any thoughts on which warbands would be good starters against each other? I assume vikings of some kind versus brits?

It's got to be plastic, which shouldn't be a problem as Gripping Beast seem to have a good selection. I'm just looking for two good warbands for messing around with the game and demoing it to friends.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

What are these half-circle bases that are used for command staff and standard bearers? Is it legal for Black Powder??

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

You never want to use line abreast because only the tanks within 6" count for morale. If you kill all those around the leader (and remember you allocate your own hits and soviets have paper for armour), then the middle tank is "on his own", because the abreast tanks are only in coherency, not in command, and he tests to run away (with the rest of them).
Ah! But then you use the damage shuffling rules to allocate those hits away from the tank you want to keep alive and :smithicide:

But yeah, it seems like it's totally doable to not have a carpark, you just need to put in way more effort.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Arquinsiel posted:

Ah! But then you use the damage shuffling rules to allocate those hits away from the tank you want to keep alive and :smithicide:

But yeah, it seems like it's totally doable to not have a carpark, you just need to put in way more effort.

Yeah, it's just way more effort for an entirely aesthetic outcome that only hurts your chances of winning unless your table is weirdly laid out or something. Also you can only jump hits within 6" of the target, too :v:

Somewhat tellingly they just removed the rule in V4. Nobody ever uses it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

Yeah, it's just way more effort for an entirely aesthetic outcome that only hurts your chances of winning unless your table is weirdly laid out or something. Also you can only jump hits within 6" of the target, too :v:

Somewhat tellingly they just removed the rule in V4. Nobody ever uses it.
Yeah, TBH I can't really see any reason to use it yet. I'll have to game out a few scenarios with dudes on tables just to try work out if there's actually a reason to try use it beyond maybe keeping your command dude alive.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

With the news that Saga 2nd Edition is coming in a few weeks, I decided this would be a good time to jump in. Any thoughts on which warbands would be good starters against each other? I assume vikings of some kind versus brits?

It's got to be plastic, which shouldn't be a problem as Gripping Beast seem to have a good selection. I'm just looking for two good warbands for messing around with the game and demoing it to friends.

vikings or saxons are a good goto for footslogging melee dudes. i think normans are a good second choice, as they rely on cav and archers, so it provides a different playstyle

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits
I've just picked up the Perry's ACW battle box to split with a friend to play Sharp Practice with. I'm going to be playing as the union, and I'm wondering about how to paint them up.

Specifically I'm considering painting them up as a USCT regiment. However, I'm torn on this for a couple of reasons.

First, I suck painting darker skin tones. Does anyone have a good guide?

Secondly, I'm sort of... Uncomfortable? Having white officers as would be historically accurate. Is this just me being dumb or should I just nudge history to one side and make the NCOs and COs African American too?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Phi230 posted:

What are these half-circle bases that are used for command staff and standard bearers? Is it legal for Black Powder??

It's a pretty common way to make flexible regiments for army sized Napoleonic battles. Basically, some armies (like the French) don't have unique facing colours for most of their infantry regiments. So you can just smash out a couple of hundred identical footsloggers (center and flank companies) and then paint up a new semicircle for each regiment that a scenario asks for and you'll have the correct regiments. Meanwhile, an Austrian or British player would have to make sure that the facing colours are at least close enough. Or, you could choose not to be a rivet-counter. It's up to personal preference.

In this case I assume that it's supposed to represent three battalions of the same light infantry regiment, as one of the flags is a fanion. By 1812 Napoleon had ordered a change to the flag structure, where only the first battalion of a regiment would carry an eagle and the tricolor flag. The rest of the battalions would carry simpler flags, with different colours (white, red, gold, blue, green). They were supposed to be plain, but many battalions started to stitch their battalion numbers on them, and then decorate them in gold etc. until they looked little like the simple identifier that they were meant to be. Others ignored the order and kept using more flags and eagles than they were supposed to. So you can go either way and still have history on your side, there are written records regarding some regiments but far from all.

I haven't played BP but I don't think the rules cares about more than unit width, so it should work fine.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jan 18, 2018

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Nifara posted:

I've just picked up the Perry's ACW battle box to split with a friend to play Sharp Practice with. I'm going to be playing as the union, and I'm wondering about how to paint them up.

Specifically I'm considering painting them up as a USCT regiment. However, I'm torn on this for a couple of reasons.

Secondly, I'm sort of... Uncomfortable? Having white officers as would be historically accurate. Is this just me being dumb or should I just nudge history to one side and make the NCOs and COs African American too?

Dark skin tones can be easily painted by applying a regular flesh tone base coat and then applying a couple of dark brown washes over that until you're happy with the result. I've used Citadel Colour washes, specifically their Devlan Mud or Agrax Earthshade washes to accomplish this. It works really well, and as you're using washes the coats will dry darker in the recesses of the face, creating natural low and highlights as the light undercoat shows through.

The officers are a matter of personal choice, but I don't think painting them to reflect the actual makeup of a regiment like the 54th Mass. is a terrible sin that you need to feel bad about-- that's the way the actual regiments were staffed. It's not like you're perpetuating the Lost Cause myth.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 18, 2018

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Nifara posted:

I have a clubmate doing WW2 US for Chain of Command, and he has a similar problem. The US army was racist as hell and the segregated units would be led by white officers, because racism. I think you have to go with your gut, either do the historically correct representation (which is good since it showcases how things were and avoids whitewashing history), or nudge things (which is good if it means that you enjoy painting and gaming with your army more).

These things are tricky, I mean, I myself can enjoy painting Heer and DAK platoons, but would feel uncomfortable painting up and playing a SS platoon. It's a personal thing where there's no right answer.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Fearless posted:

Dark skin tones can be easily painted by applying a regular flesh tone base coat and then applying a couple of dark brown washes over that until you reach a desired colour.

I'll have a couple of goes at some test models and see what looks right. Thanks!

lilljonas posted:

I have a clubmate doing WW2 US for Chain of Command, and he has a similar problem. The US army was racist as hell and the segregated units would be led by white officers, because racism. I think you have to go with your gut, either do the historically correct representation (which is good since it showcases how things were and avoids whitewashing history), or nudge things (which is good if it means that you enjoy painting and gaming with your army more).

These things are tricky, I mean, I myself can enjoy painting Heer and DAK platoons, but would feel uncomfortable painting up and playing a SS platoon. It's a personal thing where there's no right answer.

It is hard. I'm honestly looking at it and considering (in a cowardly fashion?) just going with a white regiment instead so I don't have to think about it. Which feels just as bad.

I've just been looking into if there were any African American troops serving outside the USCT, and there weren't, but apparently there were a small number of black officers (80 COs in total), so I'll just pretend it's them.

Thanks for all the help folks. It's even harder as a brit trying to navigate this because it's hard to see where the cultural baggage is.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I know what you mean. When I was painting my Veitnam US, I did a bunch of research on how many of the platoon should be black. While it's well known that the poorer Afro-American population was drafted disproportiantly to the richer parts of the population, I read in a few places that due to the civil right movement, a lot of (mostly white) officers decided it was simpler to keep the in non-combat roles.

In the end, I went sod it and painted about a 3rd. its 15mm, I'm the only person who is going to notice.

Now I'm doing AWI I'm wondering if I should sneak one or two black faces into the British line, as they did recruit from the local population more. I rewatched The Patriot the other day (not as bad as I remeber, but its the American Dream version of the AWI) and I noticed they slipped a black guy into the British ranks during one of the battles.

Yay for our idiot ancestors right!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The Continental Army had black soldiers, too, especially Northern regiments.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

****furiously starts researching the correct skin colour ratio of AWI units in 1778****

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm not woke, but I'm going wild-ish with skin colors in Necromunda!

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

JcDent posted:

I'm not woke, but I'm going wild-ish with skin colors in Necromunda!

I've really enjoyed painting my necromunda minis so far for the genuine breadth of skin tones you can include. I've got gangers with dark tones, light, inflamed, rotting, dyed skin and all kinds of other wacky stuff. Lots of fun.

Of course, it's easier when you're not representing actual real people ;)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

I know what you mean. When I was painting my Veitnam US, I did a bunch of research on how many of the platoon should be black. While it's well known that the poorer Afro-American population was drafted disproportiantly to the richer parts of the population, I read in a few places that due to the civil right movement, a lot of (mostly white) officers decided it was simpler to keep the in non-combat roles.

In the end, I went sod it and painted about a 3rd. its 15mm, I'm the only person who is going to notice.

Now I'm doing AWI I'm wondering if I should sneak one or two black faces into the British line, as they did recruit from the local population more. I rewatched The Patriot the other day (not as bad as I remeber, but its the American Dream version of the AWI) and I noticed they slipped a black guy into the British ranks during one of the battles.

Yay for our idiot ancestors right!

There were some emancipated slaves and men of french-african heritage in the French Napoleonic army as well, after the very convoluted on-again-off-again legislation regarding the colonies, especially Saint-Domingue. During part of the Revolution they were considered equal citizens. Many worked their way to France where there was temporarily a strong support for emancipation before the policies switched back as the revolutionary zeal started to die down. Several ended up in the army (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas-Alexandre_Dumas for a very interesting example of this).

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So you can paint one 6mm man as a black dude!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

There really are two types of wargamers. Those who worry over the ethnic diversity of thier forces, and those who stick swastikas on anything.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Grey Hunter posted:

I did roughly the same thing, also for 15mm Vietnam. I went with about 20% very dark skin, 20% mid-tone skin, the rest light skin.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You guys are worrying me now. When I get around to painting my 1960's Irish in the Congo will I be able to get the right shade of sunburn? :ohdear:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arquinsiel posted:

You guys are worrying me now. When I get around to painting my 1960's Irish in the Congo will I be able to get the right shade of sunburn? :ohdear:

Hope you saved a bottle of old GW Tentacle Pink...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Crosspostin!

And for more Vietnam goodness, have a FNG battle report!

Yeah. Here are mine.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

lilljonas posted:

I haven't played BP but I don't think the rules cares about more than unit width, so it should work fine.

Commanders in Black Powder are very abstracted and don't have a specified facing width like a block of infantry does- both it and the Pike and Shotte book have lots of pics of little commander dioramas that are pretty neat.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hey Lilljonas,

Are these the same samurai models Warlord has been releasing for a while, just in new boxes? http://articles.warlordgames.com/ashigaru-spearmen/

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Hey Lilljonas,

Are these the same samurai models Warlord has been releasing for a while, just in new boxes? http://articles.warlordgames.com/ashigaru-spearmen/

Yes those are the old Wargames Factory sprues that Warlord got when they bought up parts of WGF. Warlord now sells them as plain sprues with round bases (the basic warband for ToH), with various metal heads (the ToH expansions) and as plain sprues with square bases and transfer sheets (the boxes you linked).

E: their release text is also hilariously wrong.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 18, 2018

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
The new metal ones though are pretty nice, particularly the Bandits and Brigands set.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Hope you saved a bottle of old GW Tentacle Pink...
Dwarf Flesh with a hilight of that might actually work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
My entire AWI army is white (because it's primered and nothing more)