Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Benne posted:

I remember being mildly optimistic for Jim Mora Jr. because he grew up around here and had a history with the team (his dad worked for Chuck Knox way back in the day), so maybe the hometown guy could do something fun even if his Falcons tenure was nothing special.

That went out the window pretty drat fast.

E: In some ways, I kinda feel bad for Mora and the way that whole thing went down. He clearly loves the area and the Seahawks job was supposed to be his triumphant homecoming. Now he's a punchline at best, reviled at worst, and he'll never get the Washington job he wanted all along. But then again, he made this bed with the pointless bridge-burning and crappy on-field results, so he has only himself to blame.

It was a weird situation all around.

Post your favorite Jim Mora Jr Moments

Mine was him putting Josh Wilson the 5'9" corner on Larry Fitzgerald and then after the game said he needed to play dirtier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If Schotty and Norton poo poo the bed, I wouldn't be surprised if they're 1 and dones. Seahawks have shown to move on if you are mediocre / bad to start (I guess I'm only going after Jim Mora Jr.). Carroll also has 2 years left on his contract so I wouldn't be surprised if they go elsewhere before making him a lame duck HC.

Either way I'm really not looking forward to next season.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
If the Seahawks have a losing record next season because of BS and Norton would they fire Carroll too?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'd say yes, just because this team is talented enough that barring enormous injuries 8-8 or better seems likely. So if they do worse than that it really is the coaching.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

If the Seahawks have a losing record next season because of BS and Norton would they fire Carroll too?

Pete Carroll asked for full control on his hires, so he'd be a part of the problem. Compound that with the fact that he's the oldest coach in the NFL, followed a trend of getting worse each season since the super bowl victory, well... I dunno.

In other news, Cliff Avril and Kam have indicated they plan to play next season, which... :ohdear: they're going to die on the field, aren't they?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
:siren: https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/status/953404007724150784 :siren:

quote:

The Seahawks announced three additions to their coaching staff Tuesday, naming Brian Schottenheimer offensive coordinator, Ken Norton Jr. defensive coordinator and Mike Solari offensive line coach.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Post your favorite Jim Mora Jr Moments

Mine was him putting Josh Wilson the 5'9" corner on Larry Fitzgerald and then after the game said he needed to play dirtier.

I liked the part where Olindo Mare made five field goals after trash red zone playcalling, missed a sixth, and Mora blamed him for the loss.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oh thank God it's official I can kill myself now

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Be sure to take a long walk off a short pier but make sure schotty didn't design your route

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I posted the schotty.gif as a joke of something to look forward to on Field Gulls and people started defending it was a good play call :suicide:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Its Rinaldo posted:

I posted the schotty.gif as a joke of something to look forward to on Field Gulls and people started defending it was a good play call :suicide:

Field Gulls sometimes defend the poo poo aspects of the Seahawks like trump supporters support trump

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
At least they won a Super Bowl before the team dropped a super bowel in the bed.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Its Rinaldo posted:

what the actual gently caress

This upsets me more than the first time I saw goatse.

Schwack posted:

At least they won a Super Bowl before the team dropped a super bowel in the bed.

Yeah, all things considered it was a drat good run :)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Field Gulls went all-in on Pete's rah-rah gimmick and will defend any dumb poo poo he does to the ends of the Earth.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Field Gulls sometimes defend the poo poo aspects of the Seahawks like trump supporters support trump

Since Danny Kelly left, it’s just another crappy fansite. Their Twitter is hilarious now, whereas before it was practically a must follow.

Tonight’s gem, for instance:

https://twitter.com/FieldGulls/status/953423618536497153

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There is a part of the brain that holds out and says "Maybe somehow it will work this time!" And you wanna listen to that over conventional wisdom that says "Schotty's record is pure dogshit and there's nothing to indicate it will be different this time around."

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Benne posted:

Field Gulls went all-in on Pete's rah-rah gimmick and will defend any dumb poo poo he does to the ends of the Earth.

Didn't you write for FG for awhile? I thought someone was contributing there after John Morgan left.

I expect a poo poo season, but I've been wrong before. I remember when Carroll was universally seen as a dumb hire.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Schwack posted:

Didn't you write for FG for awhile? I thought someone was contributing there after John Morgan left.

I expect a poo poo season, but I've been wrong before. I remember when Carroll was universally seen as a dumb hire.

I was a mod and occasional writer, then when Morgan left I basically played interim coach before Kelly came in.

Turns out a 3-articles-a-day quota is hard to meet when there's an NFL lockout and literally nothing to write about.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

At least we will know if we need a new head coach after next year shakes out. Pete Carroll is going full crazy and if the Hawks fall apart next year all fingers will be pointed his direction.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Much like his aging body, Pete's team is slowly deteriorating after peaking during its younger, prime years. Ultimately ending in a wet fart.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As long as Wilson stays healthy I think it's a 9-7 team. It's not like we've gotten long years of incredibly playcalling.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Yeah, all things considered it was a drat good run :)

Basically how I feel about it. There's nothing a Carroll team can do on the field to sour his legacy for me--he won us a Super Bowl! I wasn't sure we'd ever get one. Even more fun that they won my favorite game of all time against our biggest rivals on the way.

If this is the end of the era, then it's been a hell of a ride.

dont even fink about it posted:

As long as Wilson stays healthy I think it's a 9-7 team. It's not like we've gotten long years of incredibly playcalling.

And there's always this. They have a franchise qb, so they should be at least "good" while he's in his prime.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Benne posted:

I was a mod and occasional writer, then when Morgan left I basically played interim coach before Kelly came in.

Turns out a 3-articles-a-day quota is hard to meet when there's an NFL lockout and literally nothing to write about.

That’s awesome. Why did Morgan and then Kelly leave? Because it was too much work for too little pay? Did they get hired properly at different places?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

dont even fink about it posted:

Hell, we were only a few field goals away from being a 12 win team. Shoulda beat Tennessee too. Theres a 13-3 season if we just make a few missed plays and catch a break or two at the right time.

Still though, improved oline play and this team is ready for another deep playoff run. Even just league average blocking and everything falls into place.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That’s awesome. Why did Morgan and then Kelly leave? Because it was too much work for too little pay? Did they get hired properly at different places?

I think Morgan got burnt out but Danny left for a paying gig doing football writing things.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Its Rinaldo posted:

I think Morgan got burnt out but Danny left for a paying gig doing football writing things.

That's awesome. Good for him. I loved the site years ago and when they left I immediately stopped reading because the quality dropped so much.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That's awesome. Good for him. I loved the site years ago and when they left I immediately stopped reading because the quality dropped so much.

Morgan was writing for his own football blog for awhile last season, and it was great, but it dropped off. Someone really should be paying that dude for his work, it made Field Gulls a fantastic all-around football blog.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It's wild to see Danny Kelly on the Ringer and all that. He's a drat good writer (and fun podcaster) and I'm really happy to see him do so well.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Alright, so this is a long shot, but there is some optimism.

Here's where Schotty was as an NFL OC
New York Jets (2006–2011)
St. Louis Rams (2012–2014)
Georgia (2015)

Certainly no QB like Wilson.

Also, the OL might be above terrible. Pocic looked decent as a rookie, Brown is a good LT, and the C and RT are still young. If this OL coach is just halfway decent, there might be a not bad OL. In which case there might be something.

Player wise on offense I'm only concerned about LG and RB. If Rawls can stay healthy then okay.

Quote this halfway through the 2018 season as a somber reminder of foolishness.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Seriously, kind of excited to see what the OL does this year. And there's a huge difference in win utility between a below-average OL and a literally-the-worst OL.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm sorry y'all I just can't be optimistic, maybe it's just the TFF in me but I can't picture any scenario where this works out well for us.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Alright, so this is a long shot, but there is some optimism.

Here's where Schotty was as an NFL OC

St. Louis Rams (2012–2014)

As weird as it seems, these three years when Schotty was OC for the Rams were the best three years, production-wise, than anytime between 2007 and 2016 for the Rams.

Not an endorsement by any means. just pointing out something I found interesting.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
DENIAL: No way they'll hire Schotty, they're not that stupid
ANGER: Goddamnit they hired Schotty, gently caress this team
BARGAINING: Well, Schotty never had a QB as good as Russ
DEPRESSION: This offense will be so boring next year
ACCEPTANCE: (circa August) Russ looks good in the new scheme!

Took less than a week for us to hit Stage 3

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I'm trying to go right to Stage 5. They probably won't be very good! But all things must end. Besides, it's not like I loved the last couple of years. Bevell's offense made me want to drink bleach.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Also, the OL might be above terrible. Pocic looked decent as a rookie, Brown is a good LT, and the C and RT are still young. If this OL coach is just halfway decent, there might be a not bad OL. In which case there might be something.

Player wise on offense I'm only concerned about LG and RB. If Rawls can stay healthy then okay.
My guess for next year's starting OL isn't much different than this year. I don't see another top draft pick this year to this group.

LT - Brown - 32 years old, 10 year veteran, 1st round pick
LG - Pocic, 22 years old, rookie last year, 2nd round pick, assume he moves here full time
C - Britt - 26 years old, 4 year vet, 2nd round pick
RG - Ifedi - 23 years old, 2 year vet, 1st round pick, Hawks wont give up on him but move him back inside where he was 'okay' in 2016
RT - Fant - 25 years old, 2 year vet, UDFA, assume he still has a spot after being pencilled in as OT starter in 2017 before injury

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Tank44 posted:

My guess for next year's starting OL isn't much different than this year. I don't see another top draft pick this year to this group.

LT - Brown - 32 years old, 10 year veteran, 1st round pick
LG - Pocic, 22 years old, rookie last year, 2nd round pick, assume he moves here full time
C - Britt - 26 years old, 4 year vet, 2nd round pick
RG - Ifedi - 23 years old, 2 year vet, 1st round pick, Hawks wont give up on him but move him back inside where he was 'okay' in 2016
RT - Fant - 25 years old, 2 year vet, UDFA, assume he still has a spot after being pencilled in as OT starter in 2017 before injury

And I’m fine with that. The dudes you listed are young and had the worst ol coach in the league. It’s plausible there is a marked improvement.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Benne posted:

DENIAL: No way they'll hire Schotty, they're not that stupid
ANGER: Goddamnit they hired Schotty, gently caress this team
BARGAINING: Well, Schotty never had a QB as good as Russ
DEPRESSION: This offense will be so boring next year
ACCEPTANCE: (circa August) Russ looks good in the new scheme!

Took less than a week for us to hit Stage 3

9-7 might still get Pete fired, mind

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
The only hope I have is that Norton will crack down on the DL being lovely sore losers.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
I have hope in Solari.... I remembered our OL from 2008 and 2009, and was feeling depressed that we picked that guy back up again... But then I saw that he was the OL coach for the 49ers from 2010-2014. that was a solid OL, lots of talent, but the scheming worked well too. Maybe he can coach our shitheads up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

windshipper posted:

I have hope in Solari.... I remembered our OL from 2008 and 2009, and was feeling depressed that we picked that guy back up again... But then I saw that he was the OL coach for the 49ers from 2010-2014. that was a solid OL, lots of talent, but the scheming worked well too. Maybe he can coach our shitheads up?

FWIW, Staley and Iupati loved the guy.

• Locked thread