Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
A great many pages I ago I asked a question and multiple people answered. Thanks guys, I now know what Tether is. How anyone believes in this is still mystifying though.

The sooner this stuff crashes properly the bitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Marketing New Brain posted:

Also when you try to sell it Warren Buffett won't yell at you to HODL and threaten your life on Reddit.
:lol:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I think Bitcoin is a technology not a get rich scheme. Just like electricity or the internet, Bitcoin is a technology that is changing dramatically the way we function as human beings, how we transfer value between us. Volatility is induced by those who just want to get rich, panic sells are orchestrated by whales who know exactly what kind of people recently entered the market: uninformed, anxious and inexperienced "traders" who WILL sell their coins for a loss, basically handing money over to those willing to be patient.

This is the story of Bitcoin since the beginning and with the crazy amount of people rushing to the market is only gonna get worse.

However, when Bitcoin reaches mass adoption and acceptance by the majority of the world, volatitly will be a thing of the past. Why would the world accept Bitcoin you might ask, well because it is simply better, cheaper and more efficient than what we have now.

Remember, there were sceptics of the internet, electricity, even loving toasters, there will always be resistance to innovation, it is simply our self preservation instinct kicking in. That doesn't change the fact that innovation always win.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

lazorexplosion posted:

I think Bitcoin is a technology not a get rich scheme. Just like electricity or the internet, Bitcoin is a technology that is changing dramatically the way we function as human beings, how we transfer value between us. Volatility is induced by those who just want to get rich, panic sells are orchestrated by whales who know exactly what kind of people recently entered the market: uninformed, anxious and inexperienced "traders" who WILL sell their coins for a loss, basically handing money over to those willing to be patient.

This is the story of Bitcoin since the beginning and with the crazy amount of people rushing to the market is only gonna get worse.

However, when Bitcoin reaches mass adoption and acceptance by the majority of the world, volatitly will be a thing of the past. Why would the world accept Bitcoin you might ask, well because it is simply better, cheaper and more efficient than what we have now.

Remember, there were sceptics of the internet, electricity, even loving toasters, there will always be resistance to innovation, it is simply our self preservation instinct kicking in. That doesn't change the fact that innovation always win.

Source your quotes.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Tether is the natural progression of crypto’s steady and accelerated march through the history of human finance, it represents the quantitative easing point, soon it will careen gracefully out of our timeline and into the future

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lazorexplosion posted:

Honest question: what about the huge transaction fees and time to process and the huge amount of eletricity required to mine it? I really dont see how it can be still practical as a currency

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Alpha Mayo posted:

I still can't get over the fact that the biggest exchange printed fake money to save Bitcoin from going under 10000, while the biggest "legit" exchange, Gdax, mysteriously went offline at the same time. lol

The tether printing is clear market manipulation and is absolutely ridiculous. Amazing to watch in real time last night - printed new tethers followed by an immediate price recovery. That I agree is ridiculous.

The Gdax thing is weird too, but less “unacceptable”. Trading exchanges for the traditional stock market all reserve the right to arbitrarily suspend trading on one or all instruments. Can be based in extreme volatility concerns, or desire to protect the investor. SEC can even suspend trading on individual instruments for up to 10 days. There are also stock and market wide thresholds that trigger a pause in trading to allow the market to stabilize.

http://www.finra.org/investors/alerts/when-trading-stops-halts-suspensions-other-interruptions

Now lol at the idea that the Gdax thing was anything akin to an intentional trading halt. Just saying in a normal regulated market we may have also seen a pause in trading.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

lazorexplosion posted:

How much did you lose?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Waltzing Along posted:

How much did you lose?

I actually also stumbled onto that comment in the /r/bitcoin daily discusso thread

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
This thing sounds like a paid for ad: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/16/skeptics-say-bitcoin-has-no-value-heres-why-theyre-wrong.html

I laughed when they talked about the utility of Bitcoin.

quote:

Bitcoin's utility lies in its potential to be a more efficient currency or commodity than we already have."

And they go on to explain how you can buy a donut with it as easily as you can a house or mansion.
I'd hate to think what the fee on just buying a $.70 donut would be.

And I don't see how it's more useful than actual cash that I can use to buy something from someone when we don't have access to the Internet.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hate having to wait 10 minutes for the next block to be mined for my transaction to go through at the donut shop. Even worse when my donut transaction ends up in the wrong chain.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

The fees are only $20 now that bitcoin is down 45% so things are looking up for bitcoin!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Fame Douglas posted:

I hate having to wait 10 minutes for the next block to be mined for my transaction to go through at the donut shop. Even worse when my donut transaction ends up in the wrong chain.
Any restaurant that accepts bitcoin probably just accepts zero confirmation transactions.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

We've already been though this how this works, you go to a bar and try to pay by bitcoin. The bartender remarks that you're the only one who has ever attempted it. You pay by bitcoin, paying a $20 fee to buy $15 in drinks. Then you ask the bartender how it works if the transaction could take hours to be confirmed. Then the bartender tells you he didn't realize it would be like that and makes you pay by credit card. He tells you he'll cancel the bitcoin transaction and the machine says it's canceled but actually you can't cancel as you find out the next day when the transaction finally goes through. The bartender can't send your $15 of bitcoin back because the fee would be greater than the amount and you're too embarrassed to go back and ask anyway so you paid by both credit card and bitcoin and paid $50 for $15 of drinks.

(This literally happened)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://web.archive.org/web/20180117034728/https://www.reddit.com/r/bitconnect

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

Honest question: what about the huge transaction fees and time to process and the huge amount of eletricity required to mine it? I really dont see how it can be still practical as a currency

stop spreading FUD, which of those jew bankers is paying you to write these things?!

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Sammus posted:

Please help, I have invested over $500,000 into Bitconnect and currencies on the exchange with the help of a business loan. I planned to withdraw within a month or two. Now I cant access the funds to sell and the market crashed, I cannot pay for the business, my family needs the funds, I need help. Please for the sake of all that is good in the name of assistance, I need financial advice. This is the worst day and I feel like making $5,000,000 by gambling on the crypto market with another loan before its too late and the prices go up again (using another exchange). I cannot deal, please help and give advice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitconnect/comments/7qxkgr/lost_my_life_savings_in_bitconnect/

Can't even check out the BitConnect subreddit because it is invite only. I really wanted to read other people's misery, but maybe it's better if I don't. My friend was talking to me like 3-4 days ago about some coin where it didn't matter if the market went up or down, you still made money. I assumed he meant bitconnect, but I didn't say anything because he gets really defensive when I disagree with him. I really hope he didn't lose everything or worse, talk his brother into investing a large amount of his 20k that he already had in the market.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You know things are bad when the suicide hotline is posted twice

Also from the middle of that screenshot

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
the most hilarious part about tether is currently this:

44 Kraken USDT/USD $11,536,700 $1.03 0.23% Recently

Yes that's right, one Tether currently buys you $1.03 USD on Kraken. This happens every single time the market is down a lot.

There's an explanation for this but the real answer is crypto.txt

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

oversteer
Jun 6, 2005

Furiously F5’ing gdax to see BTC drop beyond 10k

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There is no way that tether is legit, but people don't care because it's pushing up the price of Bitcoin.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

There is no way that tether is legit, but people don't care because it's pushing up the price of Bitcoin.

Not only do they not care, they are APPLAUDING

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

lazorexplosion posted:

as your financial advisor I advise you to buy Tether, i've got a good feeling 1 per dollar is just the floor

:smuggo:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

yesterday's bounce has been totally erased so this should be another eventful day for bitcoin crash-watchers

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Looks like somebody maxed out his mother's credit card to buy bitcoin without telling her. At least the fact that most crypto enthusiasts are basement dwellers means they're unlikely to take the traditional response of jumping off a tall building.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

lol

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

OhFunny posted:

So it's like a central bank intervening to stop a stock crash.

Way to reinvent the wheel, but dumber.

That's basically all Libertarianism is in the end. People want modern conveniences, modern technology, and a modern standard of living. Those things are only possible with an advanced society and an active government that spends lots of money.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
Ironically Tether is probably a far better currency than any of the other cryptocoins. Pegged to the dollar, controlled by a central authority, seems not to struggle with fees or volume of trades, pointless to speculate on. Tether, the currency of the future!

Business
Feb 6, 2007

It seems like, looking at the chart, there was another gigantic high volume period right at 10,000. So it's what, either a million limit orders being sent through or some type of price manipulation?

Hamburger Sandwich
Nov 24, 2007
Unfortunatly, I think the chicken nuggets story is from a 4chan meme

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I can't even comprehend why a crypto-currency is necessary. I have used cash for less than 1% of my transactions since the early 2000's. I can pay bills with my bank account online, I can transfer money to people with any number of apps connected to my bank accounts, I use online investment accounts like Vanguard and Betterment and never interact with cash, and I can make daily purchases using debit or credit cards.

Why the gently caress is a crypto even needed?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I can't even comprehend why a crypto-currency is necessary. I have used cash for less than 1% of my transactions since the early 2000's. I can pay bills with my bank account online, I can transfer money to people with any number of apps connected to my bank accounts, I use online investment accounts like Vanguard and Betterment and never interact with cash, and I can make daily purchases using debit or credit cards.

Can't be tracked, or something

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

holy loving :lol:

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

you don't understand, the GOVERNMENT is stealing money from you! we must switch to a currency where they can't just print money.

and also for buying drugs.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

WalletBeef posted:

holy loving :lol:

Thread: Join my suit against Crypto-Dan

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

“I invested my college savings in Bitcoin. Is this a dip or a crash?” asked one user. “I am very scared since I don’t have more money to pay for school starting March. It’s all on cryptos.”

Another person offered a more bullish view: “I lost my college fund to this price drop. I will not be able to pay next semester if the price doesn’t recover but I am confident it will.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL