Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was that time when they were doing a "sit-in" in Congress over gun control and Paul Ryan had all the cameras turned off and all the cellphones confiscated except Duckworth kept hers inside her prosthetic leg and they managed to continue Periscope-ing audio from inside the chamber.

That was the saddest thing that showed just how performative and shallow the dems are. In a better world all of them would be primaried from the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

remember that time dems did a sit in for MfA and shut down the government for daca?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Sounds like you got your timelines confused. This is the "dems are a waste" timeline and there is no other option.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Sounds like you got your timelines confused. This is the "dems are a waste" timeline and there is no other option.

Don't question my headcanon

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

There was that time when they were doing a "sit-in" in Congress over gun control and Paul Ryan had all the cameras turned off and all the cellphones confiscated except Duckworth kept hers inside her prosthetic leg and they managed to continue Periscope-ing audio from inside the chamber.

That amazing sit-in for using the No-Fly List, which is a secret list of 80,000+ people that are mostly names that sound just a little too Muslim, in order to prohibit firearm purchases. Yeah, race based constitutional rights denial is incredibly Woke, yes sir

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
to the tune of theme song from the hit animated series "the simpson's"

the suck zoooone

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

gradenko_2000 posted:

The hilarious part about that sit-in was that it was to push for banning people on the no-fly list from buying guns, which is straight up unconstitutional under even strong gun control interpretations of the 2nd because there is no due-process needed to land yourself on that list

E:FB

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Taintrunner posted:

That amazing sit-in for using the No-Fly List, which is a secret list of 80,000+ people that are mostly names that sound just a little too Muslim, in order to prohibit firearm purchases. Yeah, race based constitutional rights denial is incredibly Woke, yes sir

gently caress I forgot that part, yea. It wasn't just anti-gun which is a dumb position. No, it was establishment democrat anti-gun, so they had to take a potentially defensible position, and make it loving awful and indefensible.

Serf
May 5, 2011

smuggling stuff in your prosthetic leg is an extremely powerful move, and one that i have done myself on occasion

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Feldegast42 posted:

The hilarious part about that sit-in was that it was to push for banning people on the no-fly list from buying guns, which is straight up unconstitutional under even strong gun control interpretations of the 2nd because there is no due-process needed to land yourself on that list

E:FB

No, you see, they were playing 11th dimensional chess by forcing Paul Ryan to hold a vote on it!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
That sit in was the worst and even generally good Dems like Bernie supported it. He brought them pizza.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

:eyepop: :popeye:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

mastershakeman posted:

realtalk: what is the USA's actual legal immigration framework? It's some # of permit slots issued to each country and they usually don't max those out, but the numbers are super complicated and no one in the media or politics actually knows theM?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know the full details, but Dems compromising on legal immigration would likely mean that illegal immigration rises, which would lead the GOP to further expand "border protection," which the Dems are always happy to support....

Taintrunner posted:

holy poo poo I forgot about this lol

what a bunch of imbeciles

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, I mean I guess I get the logic of REPUBLICANS WON'T EVEN TRY TO KEEP GUNS OUT OF THE HANDS OF TERRORISTS as a position if you're like sleep-deprived enough or something, but that was just a bad idea all around, and entirely too many otherwise good and cool people* supported it and were part of it.

Though I guess it annoyed Paul Ryan, so not a total waste.

___
*Keith :(

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

yeah this doesnt really address the quota systems per country and whatnot though. i dont' think it's just 9800 per country max, full stop, but that's the only thing i've seen from cursory looking around

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

And this doesn't mention that from visa to citizenship you have to go through probably a dozen individuals who have absolute power to deny you for any number of reasons. I was super lucky and was able to become a citizen in 15 years. My wife was almost as lucky and it took her the same amount of time, but in the mean time she was blocked from going home for her mother's funeral. A colleague hasn't been as lucky and his green card has been delayed for 3 years because he once was a member of the social democratic party in East Germany during the brief moment before unification where they were allowed to exist as opposition to the communist party.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

joepinetree posted:

And this doesn't mention that from visa to citizenship you have to go through probably a dozen individuals who have absolute power to deny you for any number of reasons. I was super lucky and was able to become a citizen in 15 years. My wife was almost as lucky and it took her the same amount of time, but in the mean time she was blocked from going home for her mother's funeral. A colleague hasn't been as lucky and his green card has been delayed for 3 years because he once was a member of the social democratic party in East Germany during the brief moment before unification where they were allowed to exist as opposition to the communist party.

Well that simply won't do

We can't have social democrats in America, they might, I dunno, vote for Bernie or something

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

*toots saxamaphone to a different beat, gets sent away for 6 hours*

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

loquacius posted:

Well that simply won't do

We can't have social democrats in America, they might, I dunno, vote for Bernie or something

The guy interviewing him likely didn't even know anything about social democracy, just saw Sozialdemokratische Partei in der DDR - East Germany in the list of organizations he belonged to and decided "It has social in the name, East Germans were commies, I don't want to deal with this poo poo, I will just send his application to be audited."

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
DDR was good, as proven in this rhizzone post

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

zegermans posted:

*toots saxamaphone to a different beat, gets sent away for 6 hours*

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I lived on both sides of the South Texas border until adulthood. I crossed the bridge 2-5 times a week for years. The only time I got pulled aside and checked by US Customs was when I wore my Cuban cap with a red star on it.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the McBain movie but Senator Mendoza is Senator Clinton and McBain is the Suck Zone

"But Mods, I have proof that she's head of a national primary-rigging conspiracy!"
"I don't wanna hear it, SuckBain!"

e: Scoey is Vilerat

loquacius has issued a correction as of 18:11 on Jan 17, 2018

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Opposition

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/953283464098406401

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
~ * 2 0 0 8 v i b e z * ~

it's okay booker 2024 will fix it by giving the rich a shitton more money taken from the tent cities propping up across america

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

John Tester has to win those Montana rancher votes who care very deeply about *checks notes* the asset limit requirements of wall street stress tests

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

This is going ot be really fun now that the banks are even bigger from 2008.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I loving hate America sometimes

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

fyi the entire west should be de-incorporated and become non-voting territories again

there's no reason for montana, the dakotas, and wyoming to exist

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

I loving hate America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost