Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Brainamp posted:

WAR is good and angry.

Very angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The grand melee makes sense to me, because you have representation from the aristocracy as well as the commoners. It's a morale building exercise for a reformed Ishgard as much as the cities states in general, so her group which is already well known and well liked by the people gives them a reason to support the melee.

With her group more technologically inclined than standard knight orders, and more likely to have less rigid strategies, they potentially have a leg up against Garleans and non-dragons.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess that makes sense. I just wonder how he explained it.

"I'll send Hilda."
"Hilda? Is she one of the Temple Knights?"
"Well, she's sort of like the leader of the neighborhood watch."

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
A common thread through the HW storylines (I can only speak to a handful of blue quests/class quests) is Ishgardians having to deal with how the society is set up. I don't know how much this approaching on spoilers, but just to be safe: I wouldn't necessarily call it "fluidity", but a nonzero number of people with blue ? above their heads are trying to keep a low profile and technically are a part of the nobility.

The theming of HW is basically how can we be more inclusive and less stratified.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Heavensward's major theme that runs throughout is about learning to move on and let go of the past, no matter how bitter that might be. Thordan is so enamored by the fairy tail ideal of King Thordan and His Knights Twelve that he literally becomes him, to the detriment of the world. Nidhogg is so obsessed over his brood-sister's death that he holds a genocidal grudge for ten centuries. Ysayle believes in a Saint Shiva that never existed and is only able to have an impact on the course of events when she recognizes this and makes her own choice. Alphinaud goes from a whiny, spoiled brat to a courageous young man when he finally lets go of his guilt over his past mistakes and directly puts himself in the line of fire. Ishgard advances as a nation once it shakes off the grip of a thousand years of orthodoxy and embraces change. All three of the job quests are about either defying convention (Astrologian, Machinist) or learning to overcome past trauma (Dark Knight).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Vermain posted:

Heavensward's major theme that runs throughout is about learning to move on and let go of the past, no matter how bitter that might be. Thordan is so enamored by the fairy tail ideal of King Thordan and His Knights Twelve that he literally becomes him, to the detriment of the world. Nidhogg is so obsessed over his brood-sister's death that he holds a genocidal grudge for ten centuries. Ysayle believes in a Saint Shiva that never existed and is only able to have an impact on the course of events when she recognizes this and makes her own choice. Alphinaud goes from a whiny, spoiled brat to a courageous young man when he finally lets go of his guilt over his past mistakes and directly puts himself in the line of fire. Ishgard advances as a nation once it shakes off the grip of a thousand years of orthodoxy and embraces change. All three of the job quests are about either defying convention (Astrologian, Machinist) or learning to overcome past trauma (Dark Knight).

I'd go as far as to say "Moving on from the past" is the entire theme of FFXIV. The failure to do so is what led to the downfall of the Allagan Empire. Fordola even now is struggling with that. It's not just Heavensward.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

gently caress O3S, got that clear, never doing it again. I still don't know how BLM is supposed to operate in the latter half of that fight. I'm probably just dumb, but I should've just stayed RDM and not hated my life every forced movement section.

I've firmly decided that if anyone brings up Mindjack for the next week, I will have to kill them.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 17, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f-NQZYCZnA

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Vermain posted:

or learning to overcome past trauma (Dark Knight).

On the downside, the questline falls a bit flat when the biggest trauma you have to overcome is fetch quests.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TFRazorsaw posted:

The Griffin is Ilberd isn't he

You would think so, but it's actually just an ordinary griffin. :v:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

SonicRulez posted:

I'd go as far as to say "Moving on from the past" is the entire theme of FFXIV.

I'll go with this. Most of the problems we run around fixing are Sins of our Fathers. Even stuff like Bahamut.

The DRK 60-70 is definitely about overcoming the past traumas, the loss of Elf Bro and Iceheart hurt our PC.

It weighs as it should.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

O4S might be even worse :v:

o3s is easy as poo poo compared to o4s

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

TFRazorsaw posted:

You're only reminding me of how much I wish Hildibrand would interact with the Scions.

Y'Shtola would either have the time of her life or lose her mind.
I have a feeling at a minimum she'd prank Matoya by leaving Nashu with her before leaving on a long adventure.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Holyshoot posted:

o3s is easy as poo poo compared to o4s

my static spent a bit over a month to clear O3S and cleared O4S after about two months or so.

Hali is tough because the fight is looooooong, there's a ton of forced movement and target swapping, and mistakes usually kill multiple players instead of just yourself.

Ned isn't as bad because all his stuff is just different configurations of a base few attacks, and once you make it halfway through the fight you already know how the second half will go.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That last point on O3S is the killer to me. Spellblade Holy (in all forms), Queen's Waltz (everything but pillars), books. You're killing yourself and a minimum of one other person every time you botch it. You can be playing a perfect game and still fall over because two people started playing footsie over who will take which buff during books.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Doing the Kojin tribe quests is a real trip. It's not every day you see a Lalafell look DOWN to talk to someone.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I love the kojin beasttribe dudes. I loved heavensward. Other things in this game? Theyre allllll right

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
isn't 4.2 supposed to be in like a week? how do we know so little about it still? or was i told wrong and the patch isn't actually that soon

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

There is a live letter on Friday. Initial estimate that Yoshi P gave was 'end of January' during the live letter last month, so it'll probably be the 30th unless they have to push it back for whatever reason.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The pro mindjack strat that I always used as a caster was to stand in the middle of the four squares then when everything goes out I just move to the middle of the square my reaper is on, face away, and don't pop sprint. It's easier than trying to run along the edge.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Countblanc posted:

isn't 4.2 supposed to be in like a week? how do we know so little about it still? or was i told wrong and the patch isn't actually that soon

Hoping it isn’t - we’re still working on Exdeath!

But it’s likely Jan 23rd or 30th. Live letter this Friday will tell us more.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bell_ posted:

I have a feeling at a minimum she'd prank Matoya by leaving Nashu with her before leaving on a long adventure.

She's way too smart to do that because she knows she'll have to pick up Nashu eventually and Matoya would prank her back ten times as hard.

Though this would lead us to the adventures of Nashu and her pal, Kermit.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Ibblebibble posted:

I fantasiad to femroe from dragongirl and I have no regrets. Tallest in my static whoo

My static might not be the best, but we're probably one of the tallest.

Two edgelords, two lady giraffes, and a Roegadame.

Also, I never thought the mechanics part of reapers was that hard. Go into the tile by your reaper, point the arrow at the opposite corner, don't go into the outside ring. The difficulty is in getting your stupid idiot healers to top everyone off beforehand. :unsmigghh: Nothing in O3S is really that hard on its own, the problem is that it's a really long fight and one mistake (or badly-timed lagspike) by any person has a very high chance of screwing at least one other person over, which probably means a wipe or an enrage.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The best part is when she's doing Spellblade Holy and one of the players that gets targeted for a swap lags so bad that they don't move.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

So is O3S with a party finder learning group pretty much not a thing that could happen? All the descriptions of it here make it sound like O3S and O4S are pretty much only successful for statics with discord/teamspeak only, but I always see tons of PF groups so I'm confused.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fffff. My anime hair clips through samurai headband from Rabanastre. Oh well, gonna keep it anyway cuz I like me some headbands and while I'm all set on my monk when it comes to those things, they don't quite fit my samurai.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
o4s is a victory lap compared to o3s. you only need to learn exfaust and half of ned and then you've won because neds dark secret is that it's just a 6 minute fight played twice in a row.

not a fan of this raid tier overall, creator was way more interesting.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Rosalind posted:

So is O3S with a party finder learning group pretty much not a thing that could happen? All the descriptions of it here make it sound like O3S and O4S are pretty much only successful for statics with discord/teamspeak only, but I always see tons of PF groups so I'm confused.

I cleared 3 and 4 ahead of my static around release month from weekend PFs. It’s very possible in a physical sense, just might take a bit more time nowadays since both the most skilled and most driven PF players have by and large gotten everything they wanted out of Savage.

e: if you don’t have a whole lot of time to grind it out I’d suggest making money instead to buy a set of next tier’s crafted gear and jump on PFs patch day.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 17, 2018

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Rosalind posted:

I gently caress around in no-hope party finders sometimes when I'm bored and I have occasionally seen one clear.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also if you yell in fc chat or something you might get some vets to help out which really boosts the odds.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rosalind posted:

For at least a while there were at least some O3S learning parties in PF that were actually legit, but I don't know if that's the case at this point. My first clear was with a fill-in who had only done it in PF so outs definitely possible. Voice comms help a lot but are not an absolute requirement as long as everybody is paying attention.

O4S is basically one long dance where one person screwing up is likely to kill at least one other person and snowball the whole run to death. The mechanics are if anything simpler than O3S but they are combined in a bunch of different ways that force you to basically memorize the whole thing from start to finish so you only have to actually think about things like "I have stinky cloud so get hit by this laser".

Then Grand Cross Omega happens and you do it all in rapid succession (or cheese it with a healer LB).

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Tons of people cleared in PF back in the day, the problem is that most of those people aren't in PF now.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just went into Bardam for the first time. I considered watching a guide first, but i thought "Nah, dungeons are more fun if you go in blind, someone will tell you important stuff before bosses".

My luck that i got a group of mutes. The only thing anyone (other than me) said was one dude going "don't LB the boss" before the last boss, and that's it. I knew i was in for a ride when i died on the very first (double-pack) trash pull. Yeah, i was pulling singles for the rest of the run.

But man, what a trip that blind run was

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was just constantly so confused. Like,

Do i as tank intercept the charge of the first boss on my healer? Turns out, apparently not. He died despite me taking 22k to the face. And somehow came back to life later.
What's up with the sheep?
Where do the coeurl come from and why does their AoE span the entire arena?
Do you have to take the boss charge point blank? Apparently not, cause the SMN who just did that is deader than punk now.
What's the deal with the giant stamps from the sky?
And what the gently caress was the deal with the second boss? I went in blind and i was the only one who didn't get hit in the first round. Don't i get to tank anything?
Surprise Indy Traps are a real dick move when every dungeon conditions you to tank with the back towards the path leading further. And they just KEPT COMING
And everything hit so drat hard. The final boss had me at 12% health just two seconds after the pull.

It was like i was new to the game all over again :allears:

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I normally don't explain anything when I see the new person message pop up unless they ask because I figure either 1) they want to go in blind, which I'm all for, so I don't want to spoil anything, or 2) if they didn't want to go in blind, they probably looked it up ahead of time.

For the first boss, whoever gets the charge marker just wants to get far away. The boss'll anger the animals standing near the end of the charge, and depending on what they are, you get different aoes. So ideally you don't want the person with the marker running to the coeurls.

The second boss is just aoe dodging, and only one person needs to finish each round.

There's plenty of room to avoid the stones by pulling things to the left, but it's more fun to not warn new people about it.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I have fond memories of not telling newbie tanks about double Holy Bladedance in Singularity Reactor and watching them splatter from full HP. Of course, nowadays the adds die before they can even got off a single one.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Also, the reason they said not to LB the final boss is that it's the rare boss fight where the aoe LB is more effective than the single target one; the strategy i've seen is to use it during the phase where the boss' wings activate and just quickly nuke him out of it immediately.

Though it's weird they told you that if you were the tank. I mean it's still good advice, but

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

vOv posted:

I have fond memories of not telling newbie tanks about double Holy Bladedance in Singularity Reactor and watching them splatter from full HP. Of course, nowadays the adds die before they can even got off a single one.

Conversely, popping your Hallowed/Holm/Living Dead to survive the instagib was the awesome cherry on what was already an amazing trial.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That group was just weird. The first time the last boss cast his gaze mechanic, i then had three people and one angry bird beating on me

Well, i continued a bit and met Magnai. After his little spiel, i turn to Yda and she's like

"Oh, now i know why he feels familiar! He reminds me of Urianger!"

:sbahj:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I have a problem, I think. I'm waaaaay way behind on my story, but the Animus arr relic isn't vengency enough for the fight I need to do to continue the story so I keep postponing it but the books are taking forreeeevvvveeerrr

Why do I care about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Also, the reason they said not to LB the final boss is that it's the rare boss fight where the aoe LB is more effective than the single target one; the strategy i've seen is to use it during the phase where the boss' wings activate and just quickly nuke him out of it immediately.

Though it's weird they told you that if you were the tank. I mean it's still good advice, but

There's a quirk of timing if you put out the right amount of DPS on the last boss though where you'll skip his wing phase. Generally if you have a melee dps and can get a Bladedance off when the boss hit's 16% you'll skip wing phase entirely.
Getting that Bladedance off requires knowing how the boss's attack phases work, mostly if it's already in an attack phase. In short: every time it casts Wind's Unbound it's locked into whatever it's going to do next, be those flutterfalls or Eyes of the Fierce. When transitioning to the Wings phase of the fight he has to cast a new Wind's Unbound. You have to start your Bladedance so it's animation is going when he starts casting or it's going to be wasted due to jump invulnerability.