Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sweet 16 is just a white person quinceañera. It's is absolutely a huge deal to some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
whats court in this context? is it like a confirmation?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Sweet 16 is just a white person quinceañera. It's is absolutely a huge deal to some people.

They cant be the same thing, a quinceanera has a chance to be fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

datajugend posted:

whats court in this context? is it like a confirmation?

Her bridesmaids, basically.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The court is directly taken from quinces, so the one in the post could be a hybrid thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

They cant be the same thing, a quinceanera has a chance to be fun.

Oh yeah obviously a huge difference between a bunch of giddy, drama-obsessed 15 year old girls and giddy, drama-obsessed 16 year old girls.

Night and day I tell you what.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Kuros posted:

Would It Be Selfish Or Rude For Me (15F) To Ask My Court (15-22F) To Pay For Their Own Dresses?

First World Problems.

I grew up in an area with a lot of upper-middle class people, and this is definitely a thing among a certain subset. Of course, I was never invited to those parties so I can't tell you what went on there. I see she's the "poor friend", that means her parents probably "only" pull in low six figures based on my experiences.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Danaru posted:

I apparently have no idea what a sweet 16 is :stare:

It's likely cotillion type thing where the sweet sixteen girl is "introduced" into polite society. By being the "poor friend" it means her dad is a family doctor that ONLY makes 200k/year.

OR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWc6IMHzqIc

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
What are you even celebrating at 16

being legally able to bone?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah it's roots are in weirds sex/purity things. Dads will also have weird mock wedding ceremonies where their daughter pledges to only gently caress when and who dad approves of.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh yeah obviously a huge difference between a bunch of giddy, drama-obsessed 15 year old girls and giddy, drama-obsessed 16 year old girls.

Night and day I tell you what.

I more just meant cultural differences tended to result in one being fun and the other being dreadful, but thats my experience and not universal.

The exception was qotillions in new orleans for women joing a Krewe because those were next level poo poo compred to whatever garbage this woman is planning

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I loved watching that MTV show for the tantrums those brats would have.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it's roots are in weirds sex/purity things. Dads will also have weird mock wedding ceremonies where their daughter pledges to only gently caress when and who dad approves of.

:barf:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Thats a different almost exclusively American thing called a purity ball.

Qotillions and Quinceneras are basically “Hey fellas, this lady is fully trained in home making and now a woman, start your courting now”

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had to look it up because I'm not american and only barely heard of it, but it's grosser than I thought. The US was colonized by serious sex weirds, but these purity ball things have only been around since 1998 but caught on big in the south.

"A purity ball is an American formal dance event attended by fathers and their daughters which promotes virginity until marriage for teenage girls. Typically, daughters who attend a purity ball make a virginity pledge to remain sexually abstinent until marriage. Fathers who attend a purity ball make a promise to protect their young daughters' "purity of mind, body, and soul."[1] Proponents of these events contend that they encourage close and deeply affectionate relationships between fathers and daughters, thereby avoiding the premarital sexual activity that allegedly results when young women seek love through relationships with young men"

There's also purity ring ceremonies which are similar and have dads putting rings on their daughter as a pledge for total abstinence. Lots of weird poo poo like that that mostly centre around some big production to make a show of dad's 100% owning their daughters sexuality and a defense of their "purity"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Purity balls or whatever are pretty weird but they almost exclusively exist in states that, in hindsight, should have been just been allowed to secede. They are not a thing in most of the country barring the occasional whack job fundamentalist.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I defiled a chick who had a purity ring from daddy way back when :evil:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

at the barbecue in a Big Dogs shirt that reads "if you can't handle my weird idea of family behavior,then stay out of my daughter!"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Barudak posted:

Qotillions and Quinceneras are basically “Hey fellas, this lady is fully trained in home making and now a woman, start your courting now”

yeah implying that Cotillions/Quinceneras/sweet 16's/other forms of débutante balls are about weird sexual purity things / originate from "purity balls" is completely wrong

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I defiled a chick who had a purity ring from daddy way back when :evil:

You helped do the good work of proving that abstinence-only policies are ineffective and foolish.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, purity balls are a different thing than what this girl is doing. Purity balls are for creepy super-religious people that mostly seem to live in the south. The "court" stuff is more along the lines of suburban McMansion-dwellers in my experience.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
(VT) I think my landlord is coming into my house and stealing food?

quote:

I moved to a new town in October and am renting out a house. My Landlord lives next door to me and has a key to the house that i'm renting. I thought he was a nice guy and all was good until around December.

It started with my doors to my house being unlocked when i swore i locked them. I always lock my doors before bed and when i leave for work. I asked my Landlord if he was coming in and working on the house and he said no.

Then i started noticing my milk and food running out very quickly, i live alone and i don't eat much. So a day or two after i shop my food shouldn't be gone. Today was the last straw, i woke up and saw a note left in front of my coffee pot that said, "need bread" and my coffee pot was already full of coffee grounds and water, ready to go just needed to be turned on when i didn't do it yet.

My question is, Can my landlord legally come in and take my food and just chill around the house without my permission? If it's not legal how do i go about this when he denies it all? Should i buy security cameras to prove it in court? I'm a 23 year old female living alone. I never had something like this happen before, i don't even know where to start.

quote:

Buy a camera.

Buy a CO detector.

One of them will explain what's going on.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

It's based on an old tradition where a woman was introduced into society by her parents as eligible for courtship and engagement.

In the south cotillion is more of "polite manners" training where you have a fancy dinner and get dressed up and prove you know which way to pass the salt and which pinky you put up when you're in a lacrosse locker room circle jerk.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

Which in and of itself is wierd enough.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Danaru posted:

(VT) I think my landlord is coming into my house and stealing food?

lmao

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

true but it's not 'even if that daughter's not getting molested this is gonna screw up her view of relationships something fierce' weird

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

I don't think they really are weird though, at least in their original incarnations- coming of age ceremonies are extremely common cultural traditions, and setting up a system where people's now-marriageable teenage offspring are formally introduced to others of appropriate social status so mutually beneficial marriages can be arranged/occur seems pragmatic as hell for aristocrats

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Quinenera's are a lot more fun and less teen drama because it's generally more a party adults throw for themselves where the teen attends, not catering to the whims of a teen idiot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Quinenera's are a lot more fun and less teen drama because it's generally more a party adults throw for themselves where the teen attends, not catering to the whims of a teen idiot.

Plus most Sweet 16s lack the critical Tio who knows how to play every hit on the accordian

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
[Detroit] My friend's vandalism led to a car exploding

quote:

My friends and I were all hanging out one day, coming back home after a store trip.

We stopped off at a pizza shop to grab something to eat, and my friend and I were outside the shop while our two female friends purchased the pizza.

My friend, he goes by doodoo, got the bright idea to stuff something into the tailpipe of a car as a prank, I don't know what he was trying to do. I urged him to stop but he did it anyway. Whatever he put in the running car's tailpipe caught fire. He took off running, and I left with my two other friends.

I plan on giving an honest statement about what happened, he was a complete idiot. Should I do this?

Also what charges are he going to face? Thank goodness nobody was in the car.

edit: doodoo's finger prints are all over the car and we were in front of stores so I bet there are cameras

The post is already pretty good, but holy poo poo this one line from the OP in the comments:

quote:

what charges are he going to face

I am not going to prison over a friend who calls himself doodoo.

I don't have a lawyer, I'm 17, where can I get one? what do I do if they arrest me

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

La Brea Carpet posted:

It's based on an old tradition where a woman was introduced into society by her parents as eligible for courtship and engagement.

In the south cotillion is more of "polite manners" training where you have a fancy dinner and get dressed up and prove you know which way to pass the salt and which pinky you put up when you're in a lacrosse locker room circle jerk.
lol

"She's on the market boys"

Potato Swift
Oct 27, 2012

i fought the saw and the saw won
Good news, I found the Burning Man guy’s breakup poetry:

quote:

where did you go, love:
when I told you I was ready
when I cast my doubt aside
when I forged my commitment
in a ring.

seed planted
hopeful heart
even though, you knew I knew
it wasn’t meant to pass.

upon purple dawn
the temple whispered
otherwise

where did you go, love
when I beckoned the rest of me
to the table
when I promised these aching scavengers
no need to feed on shadows
any longer.

ten years
and then, the death of us
the birth of a child anew.

the knife, the heart
the dusty road
the song like grief’s sinew.

where did you go, love
when you called from across the desert
a siren from the great grey inbetween

what right do you have
to accept my heartbreak
and the words
that stitch the wound

perhaps no one will follow
bearing these seastorm eyes,
left instead to echo
like memories
like starlight
and perhaps that is enough.

thirty four years, today
and the body trembles
naked

the long departure begun

maybe
that is why i’ve found you, love
amidst the aching possibility
that you are, have always been
my sweetest adversary.

time, collapsed
’round the ancient spiral
fingers entwined, footsteps lingering
every inch a long exhale
companions
on the long walk home.

– IM
I’m on mobile so it’s hard to put together highlights, but I urge you to check out his articles:
http://www.ianmack.com/love-school-journal/
http://www.ianmack.com/videos/lessons-occupy-love-summit-talk/
http://www.ianmack.com/tamera-story-love-interview/
http://www.ianmack.com/evolution-free-love-burning-man-tamera/
http://www.ianmack.com/a-blue-moon-love-story/
http://www.ianmack.com/rise-relationship-anarchy/
http://www.ianmack.com/stealing-key
http://www.ianmack.com/videos/healing-love/
(They’re all exactly what you think)

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

Danaru posted:

[Detroit] My friend's vandalism led to a car exploding

The post is already pretty good, but holy poo poo this one line from the OP in the comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kM7aXofMC4&t=239s

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

LGD posted:

I don't think they really are weird though, at least in their original incarnations- coming of age ceremonies are extremely common cultural traditions, and setting up a system where people's now-marriageable teenage offspring are formally introduced to others of appropriate social status so mutually beneficial marriages can be arranged/occur seems pragmatic as hell for aristocrats

My quibble is with the very concept of marriagiable teenage daughters, Jim Bob.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

LadyPictureShow posted:

Either that’s a copy/paste from an oooooold GBS thread, or the joke about ‘Man baby’s mom makes him chicken nuggets while he still lives at home’ became something of a meme.

Then again I’ve been a goon for like, 12 years. Who knows where that first popped up.

(I don’t know poo poo about bitcoin; I know the price rocketed a few months back; I’m guessing there’s people crying about not selling when they had the chance?). I do know there was a guy posting in r/relationships about hating his cousin, and other redditors called him out about ‘quit being jealous that he profited off of bitcoin.

Tendies and goodboypoints are a well established meme that holds it's value fairly well. A good investment if you are looking to invest.

Though dump your tide pod stock asap as it has gone normie. Also, Ugandan knuckles is a bubble so speculate if you aren't risk averse but don't bet the farm.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

My quibble is with the very concept of marriagiable teenage daughters, Jim Bob.

:eng101: try using context clues to enhance reading comprehension :eng101:

e: or fight the power by bravely staking out your opposition to the partriarchial customs of the artistocracy and nouveau riche from the late early modern period through the early part of the 20th century i guess

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 18, 2018

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Chomp8645 posted:

Purity balls or whatever are pretty weird but they almost exclusively exist in states that, in hindsight, should have been just been allowed to secede. They are not a thing in most of the country barring the occasional whack job fundamentalist.

When you talk about how states should have been allowed to secede you're implicitly saying it would have been fair to continue slavery in exchange for you being able to socially distance yourself from rednecks

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

InediblePenguin posted:

When you talk about how states should have been allowed to secede you're implicitly saying it would have been fair to continue slavery in exchange for you being able to socially distance yourself from rednecks

This should help things make a bit more sense

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Everybody is so drat serious on this dead comedy forum in a thread that is made to laugh at idiots from another dumb forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

MF_James posted:

Everybody is so drat serious on this dead comedy forum in a thread that is made to laugh at idiots from another dumb forum.

Having people praise you for stating the correct opinion is no joke, it's everything