Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oh he got modified outside of the womb? That's probably an exciting experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm very surprised there haven't been very many memes of that. Maybe after the Greatest Generation episode. Just thinking of Bashir looking at a picture of a tree and a picture of a house and wracking his brains is making me giggle

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Much like with artificial Intelligence, people take the fiction that surrounds incidents like Chernobyl far more seriously than they probably should.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

remusclaw posted:

Much like with artificial Intelligence, people take the fiction that surrounds incidents like Chernobyl far more seriously than they probably should.

Are you telling me S.T.A.L.K.E.R. isn't a documentary???

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

CPColin posted:

Uh, we know.

And it's spelled Geordi. Buncha sad nerds in here.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I think one of the bigger issues around genetic engineering has to be that in order to develop it, you're going to have to run trials at some point, and it's likely that some of those trials won't end well. Remember those turbo-goons that Bashir worked with a couple of times?

And in the Federation, nobody's starving to death, nobody's dying on the streets for lack of shelter. You don't have to compete for scarce resources to be able to live comfortably. You can live a happy and fulfilling life without being good at any particular job or task. Your life will be valued as it is, not for what you can provide to others.

So would an improvement in baseline intelligence and hand-eye coordination really be worth the cost inflicted to the people for whom those trials ended poorly? People who, remember, wouldn't have been able to consent to the tests in the first place. And even if it appears to work successfully, who knows what kind of unseen consequences could arise down the line.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm very surprised there haven't been very many memes of that. Maybe after the Greatest Generation episode. Just thinking of Bashir looking at a picture of a tree and a picture of a house and wracking his brains is making me giggle

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

So would an improvement in baseline intelligence and hand-eye coordination really be worth the cost inflicted to the people for whom those trials ended poorly? People who, remember, wouldn't have been able to consent to the tests in the first place. And even if it appears to work successfully, who knows what kind of unseen consequences could arise down the line.

Not to forget that, the last time we did it, they took over the world and started World War III.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Epicurius posted:

Not to forget that, the last time we did it, they took over the world and started World War III.

Yeah you can't gloss over this, genetic engineering lead to the near extinction of the human race.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah you can't gloss over this, genetic engineering lead to the near extinction of the human race.
Have you considered that perhaps grinding brutal forever-war for the sake of genetic improvement is how things are "meant" to be? :smaug:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's to keep us from ever surpassing our Vulcan masters

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

One of my favorite bits about Star Trek is that it seems like a lot of the poo poo we do as humans is seemingly rare in other races. I.e. nuking our own planet, genetically engineering ourselves for war, or generally compromising our entire culture and beliefs to get what we want. The Vulcans, Klingons, and Cardassians all hosed themselves up one way or another but they did it traditional, non "sci fi" science style. Basically just allowing their natural bloodlust and idiocy ("culture") to take its course. Humans, on the other hand, went to great lengths to be as exteme as possible. It also seems like humanity reached space waaaay faster than other humanoids ever did. The fast pace growth of society and culture and technology, and the natural ruthlessness of humans is, in my humble goonpinion, why humans tend to be the main faction of the Federation. Also apparently they breed like loving rabbits in the future and just outnumber the other species by a huge margin, probably due to the whole post-scarcity thing.

Basically what I'm saying is humans would be the victorious villains if they didn't impose so many restrictions on themselves. I would like to submit the mirror universe as additional evidence.

e: actually the more I think about it, the more the UFP seems like the villains right now! They are creating a decadent and lazy and greedy population who alwaya try to impose their beliefs on others. It's super hosed up.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 18, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nessus posted:

Have you considered that perhaps grinding brutal forever-war for the sake of genetic improvement is how things are "meant" to be? :smaug:

the warhammer 40k thread is over that way

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Nessus posted:

That can't be true. Humans are destined to turn into lizards that can't breathe an oxygen-rich atmosphere. Just like how that one species on Enterprise was destined to go extinct so the other sapient species on the planet could take their place. Don't you know how evolution works?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

We are all Barkley and therefore spiders

this further supports my argument

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

One of my favorite bits about Star Trek is that it seems like a lot of the poo poo we do as humans is seemingly rare in other races. I.e. nuking our own planet, genetically engineering ourselves for war, or generally compromising our entire culture and beliefs to get what we want. The Vulcans, Klingons, and Cardassians all hosed themselves up one way or another but they did it traditional, non "sci fi" science style. Basically just allowing their natural bloodlust and idiocy ("culture") to take its course. Humans, on the other hand, went to great lengths to be as exteme as possible. It also seems like humanity reached space waaaay faster than other humanoids ever did. The fast pace growth of society and culture and technology, and the natural ruthlessness of humans is, in my humble goonpinion, why humans tend to be the main faction of the Federation. Also apparently they breed like loving rabbits in the future and just outnumber the other species by a huge margin, probably due to the whole post-scarcity thing.

Basically what I'm saying is humans would be the victorious villains if they didn't impose so many restrictions on themselves. I would like to submit the mirror universe as additional evidence.

e: actually the more I think about it, the more the UFP seems like the villains right now! They are creating a decadent and lazy and greedy population who alwaya try to impose their beliefs on others. It's super hosed up.
IIRC "canon" is that humans reached space very late. Vulcans (and therefore, Romulans) and Klingons have been warping around for centuries. See Enterprise.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Cingulate posted:

IIRC "canon" is that humans reached space very late. Vulcans (and therefore, Romulans) and Klingons have been warping around for centuries. See Enterprise.

"Fast" in this case means "short time span between invention of agriculture and warp drive," not "first in the galaxy to travel faster than light." Although I don't think Star Trek has ever really said whether humanity was unusually fast or slow in that regard.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Trek is full of such insane OSHA violations too, speaking of risks. Just like maddening pointlessly unsafe designs and practises that fly in the face of the federation being some advanced utopia that values life. Chinese factory workers probably work in safer conditions that a typical starfleet crew.

*O'Brien spending all day in EVA laying out quantum-neutrino safety nets over the hull because 15 other enlisted ranks tried to space themselves this week*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"Fast" in this case means "short time span between invention of agriculture and warp drive," not "first in the galaxy to travel faster than light." Although I don't think Star Trek has ever really said whether humanity was unusually fast or slow in that regard.

I'm sure there was something that mentioned the Vulcans were surprised by, but still prepared for a rapid human leap forward.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Well, there's always that reddit thing about the Humans as the Doc Browns of the galaxy. But the Vulcans also nuked themselves, if I remember correctly. But there's this, from Enterprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZf_nDuD4mI

about how Vulcans worry about humans because both Vulcans and humans have similar histories, and both had a war that almost wiped them out, but it took Vulcan 1500 years to recover, while humanity rebuilt in a century.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mission Log Podcast has made it to All Good Things... :woop:

Now just to get through a month of TNG movies...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Epicurius posted:

Well, there's always that reddit thing about the Humans as the Doc Browns of the galaxy. But the Vulcans also nuked themselves, if I remember correctly. But there's this, from Enterprise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZf_nDuD4mI

about how Vulcans worry about humans because both Vulcans and humans have similar histories, and both had a war that almost wiped them out, but it took Vulcan 1500 years to recover, while humanity rebuilt in a century.

Watching that clip again, pay attention to this exchange:

Star Trek: Enterprise posted:

"We don't know what to do about humans. Of all the species we've made contact with, yours is the only one we can't define. You have the arrogance of Andorians, the stubborn pride of Tellarites, one moment you're as driven by your emotions as Klingons, and the next you counfound us by suddenly embracing logic."

"I'm sure those qualities are found in every species."

"Not in such confusing abundance."

I didn't realize it at the time, because I really had no idea that YA was a genre of... well, let's call it literature... but if you think about it, the writers of ST:ENT just pulled the ol' Divergent on us. Or, if not Divergent, then literally any other YA novel in which the protagonist is different from everyone else, and they all just don't "get" her because she's not like everyone else, and oh my God don't you just identify with this person who, until the meet cute with her love interest, is the only character in existence who can't be easily categorized and defined in such one-dimensional terms?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I think at the start of Little Green Men Nog talks about how quickly we advanced to warp drive compared to the Ferengi.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

Watching that clip again, pay attention to this exchange:

I didn't realize it at the time, because I really had no idea that YA was a genre of... well, let's call it literature... but if you think about it, the writers of ST:ENT just pulled the ol' Divergent on us. Or, if not Divergent, then literally any other YA novel in which the protagonist is different from everyone else, and they all just don't "get" her because she's not like everyone else, and oh my God don't you just identify with this person who, until the meet cute with her love interest, is the only character in existence who can't be easily categorized and defined in such one-dimensional terms?
It’s a post-hoc justification of the lamentable fact that all other races in trek are monocultures.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
That was not new to Enterprise though. Aliens commenting on how different humans are is an old tradition in Trek.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want a scifi where aliens keep telling humans they are an extremely uniform monoculture poorly equipped to deal with change or new ideas. Soulless minions of orthodoxy.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I want a scifi where aliens keep telling humans they are an extremely uniform monoculture poorly equipped to deal with change or new ideas. Soulless minions of orthodoxy.

Warhammer 40k.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah, yeah, very true.
Man, I'd love something with at least the production values of STD but set in the 40k universe. Imagine a 40k version of star trek. Just give me a 6 episode mini-series I don't care so long as the gothic grimdark is set to 11 and the whole thing is secretly hilarious.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

yeah but honestly that description applies pretty well to just about everyone else too. except maybe the orks? but even then that's more just forcing their environment/new ideas to change to them.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I don’t mean to derail anything, but I’m rewatching TNG from beginning to end, which I haven’t done in a long while. Even as a kid/teen, I realized season one was pretty poor in a kitschy kind of way. But...from a 2018 perspective, that first year is horrific. Like, I remember Datalore being a highlight, but after just watching it, it’s straight up Saturday morning cartoon poo poo.

We’ve gotten some great television in the last decade, but it’s just made a lot that came before it just embarrassing in retrospect. It’s just funny how something can seem decent when it airs, but you end up remembering it being much better than it really was as the years pass.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Hu? In 40k, humans are all over the place. I don't really know the lore, but humans are the only ones who have multiple armies or however it's called (space marines, chaos marines, imperial army etc).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cingulate posted:

Hu? In 40k, humans are all over the place. I don't really know the lore, but humans are the only ones who have multiple armies or however it's called (space marines, chaos marines, imperial army etc).

Right but culturally it's all about blind loyalty and faith, they've totally lost the basic understanding of the scientific method or discovering new things and just worship their existing old technology and cargo cult poo poo. New ideas are heretical, new technology is heretical, any minor change to the social order or government is heretical, and all worthy of a planet being exterminated. They are not interested in discovery or exploration, only making sure their empire remains utterly loyal and homogenous to the point of crippling stangnation.

A humanity like that but surrounded by typical trek species instead of the rest of the 40k grimdark setting that tries to justify how horrible the empire is relative to the other threats out there would be hilarious.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Right but culturally it's all about blind loyalty and faith, they've totally lost the basic understanding of the scientific method or discovering new things and just worship their existing old technology and cargo cult poo poo. New ideas are heretical, new technology is heretical, any minor change to the social order or government is heretical, and all worthy of a planet being exterminated. They are not interested in discovery or exploration, only making sure their empire remains utterly loyal and homogenous to the point of crippling stangnation.

A humanity like that but surrounded by typical trek species instead of the rest of the 40k grimdark setting that tries to justify how horrible the empire is relative to the other threats out there would be hilarious.
Aren't they all like that, with the exception of the Tau dudes? Isn't that what makes it grim dark - that all the races are just fighting for survival? The orcs and elder aren't progressing either.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cingulate posted:

Aren't they all like that, with the exception of the Tau dudes? Isn't that what makes it grim dark - that all the races are just fighting for survival? The orcs and elder aren't progressing either.

The tau are anime, eclipsing the horrors of all other 40k powers.
And yeah, the whole setting is grimdark overload to the point of comedy, which it originally was, but they forgot it was a joke and are now lack any self-awareness about their universe.

It would be a nice contrast to see a scifi where humanity is more like the 40k empire of man in terms of reputation rather than the constant self-congratulatory "oh you humans are so impressively creative and curious, it's your diversity and spirit of adventure that's your unique strength unlike our inflexible one-note culture!" trope we usually get in scifi.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Alan Dean Foster's "The Damned" trilogy has an interstellar alliance desperately seeking allies to help them fight this expansionist theocracy and their mind controlled slave races, when they come across humanity, whose propensity for and skill at violence astounds them (The alliance's current warrior race, who makes up most of their soldiers and warship captains can, with appropriate training and psychological conditioning, kill another sentient being without passing out from horror. The rest of the alliance considers that race barely civilized).

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The pitch is fantastic, but the novels are hot garbage btw

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mossyfisk posted:

Yeah this :(

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

mossyfisk posted:

Foster is one of those authors whose ideas are better than his writing.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Tunicate posted:

Its for you to dump your razor blades into.

The Tetanus Trap is my favorite episode of Star Trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
If Odo is just one big shaped mass of homogenous liquid, are the eyes just for show? If he can see out the eyes, he should be able to see out of every other inch of him too.