Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for some "business casual" shoes that don't loving suck to walk in?

I have a pair of Timberlands (not boots) that aren't horrible, but I'm doing like 11k+ steps on concrete and two or three days into the week my joints are killing me.

I thought about a pair of slip on Docs, just because they're not as gaudy as the boots, but I don't know any other shoes in that style. I've legit never had to dress business casual every day until this job.

At least I can wear jeans on days where I may get dirty

Skechers makes some shoes and boots that'll pass for business casual. I love their memory foam insoles.
I've also been very happy with the Nunn Bush boots I've had for the last 5 years or so. They're getting pretty run down, so I need to look for another pair of the same model, which I don't know because the lettering has worn off of the tongue label.

Tomarse posted:

You can also get lace up shoe Docs which are basically just a 3 hole shoe version of the boots. They come with black stitching too so you could count them as 'business casual'. I wear a pair for work and often walk a lot and they are really comfy

I've got some Doc Marten dress shoes, but with the waffle stomper soles, and they are way more comfortable than a "dress" shoe has any right to be. Co-worker turned me on to them. First time I ever spent actual significant monies (more than, like, $35) on a shoe, and I do not regret it. They're a decade old and still going strong. To be fair, I don't daily them since I stopped having to wear a shirt and tie to the office. Still wear them to church and "suit" events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've always thought the desert boot is pretty ugly until you are actually wearing them. Then suddenly they look great.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

jamal posted:

I've always thought the desert boot is pretty ugly until you are actually wearing them. Then suddenly they look great.

It's because they aren't styled at all at the top of the shoe but you lose that complaint under a pant leg. At least that's what it was for me.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I just wear my toecapped work boots all the time, unless I need something lighter to drive one of the more daintily-pedaled cars.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Darchangel posted:

I've got some Doc Marten dress shoes, but with the waffle stomper soles, and they are way more comfortable than a "dress" shoe has any right to be. Co-worker turned me on to them. First time I ever spent actual significant monies (more than, like, $35) on a shoe, and I do not regret it. They're a decade old and still going strong. To be fair, I don't daily them since I stopped having to wear a shirt and tie to the office. Still wear them to church and "suit" events.

I have a brown and a black pair of exactly these and yeah, I don't get how they are so comfy. Probably getting on to 15 years old at this point.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have a brown and a black pair of exactly these and yeah, I don't get how they are so comfy. Probably getting on to 15 years old at this point.

Do you make your own shoes? Just wondering.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I wear black steel toed sneakers for my business casual

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Do you make your own shoes? Just wondering.

In name only

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
In a decidedly non-AI move I just blew my sports car fund on paying off most of my credit card. :randno:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

slothrop posted:

In a decidedly non-AI move I just blew my sports car fund on paying off most of my credit card. :randno:

Congrats! Credit card interest could end up costing you way more than a nice sorts car if you let it.

Pay off that debt then start saving for something fun.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Sorry about disappearing for a month. Lot of stupid poo poo going on, along with some stressful close encounters. The weight of 2017, both personally and the state of the nation kind of hit me really bad, too.

2018 is going to be an alcohol-free, high-stress year of change. I did just get out of the NG by hitting my ETS, though, and am currently fighting with the VA for education benefits :argh:. I missed a call for an interview today about nursing school, because there's a small chance that I blocked the school on my phone's blocklist, or a high chance they misdialed and just gave up. Gonna get up early tomorrow and try to give them a call.

I used my final natty guard paycheck to purchase some quick struts and shocks for the crown vic and finally installed the keyless entry system (really an aftermarket alarm but without the alarm poo poo hooked up because :lol: gently caress Ford's switching grounds on all of their expensive-rear end individual lighting and control modules that can only handle 100-200 mA of input and also all aftermarket alarms are garbage) that I bought way back in June. So I've got that going for me, I guess.

The ex finally actually left (though she's paying her part of the lease until March, thank everything) and I'm just alone here wandering an empty house that's way too big for one person while looking at $440/month studio shitpartments nearer to the school that I hope to get into by May. Work is stressful and life generally sucks but I need to get all of the car poo poo done before I move while I still have a garage.

Does anybody in the Phoenix area want a workbench and a bunch of power tools like a Wen drill press and old skilsaw and craftsman router? I also have a bunch of Harbor Freight angle grinders, a 9 inch buffer, etc.

(that is a solid-core door as the work surface)

Or perhaps a pleather sectional couch with one cushion that's all cracked because IDK why we picked it up from offerup in March?

Or an LG Waveforce Direct Drive washing machine that I'm 99% sure was stolen when I bought it a year ago for $120 off of offerup from a house in South-South-Phoenix in a Spanish-speaking-only neighborhood with a lot more appliances plastic-wrapped in their back yard but it turns out it's a loving $1500 washing machine

(I bought a portable Haier machine to replace it for space concerns)

This is mostly a giveaway, and if nothing I'll just list it on CL/Offerup when it's closer to moving time for really cheap.

2017 was loving stupid and 2018 hasn't been that much better of a start.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Does it mean your starting your ten year trip into a mid life crisis if one day at 31 you randomly decide that Porsches look good?
Asking for a friend.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Glad you're back MGS, sorry to hear you've had a lovely time of it.

Is it worth trying to stay in that place and get some roommates to cover rent rather than ditching all your hard earned loot? I understand that may not be an option for various reasons and sometimes a fresh start is what you need.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Nah this place is waaaaay west Phoenix, 32 miles from Mesa and the school I want to go to. There are a ton of studios less than a mile from the school, and I need a stable budget (and budgetary plan) for the application and school itself. It's going to be 5 days a week not including clinicals once that starts in the second semester and I think being able to walk to save on gas and wear/tear is a better option.

Also, I plan on keeping my current job in the downtown county hospital in Phoenix, and the morning traffic going from Mesa -> Phoenix at 5:30, while terrible, is an order of magnitude less lovely than the morning traffic going from Tolleson (where I am now, basically) -> Phoenix at the same time. The 202 is terrible, but the 10 is loving suicide.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for some "business casual" shoes that don't loving suck to walk in?

I have a pair of Timberlands (not boots) that aren't horrible, but I'm doing like 11k+ steps on concrete and two or three days into the week my joints are killing me.

I thought about a pair of slip on Docs, just because they're not as gaudy as the boots, but I don't know any other shoes in that style. I've legit never had to dress business casual every day until this job.

At least I can wear jeans on days where I may get dirty

Merrell. For real.
I had a couple pairs of Johnson Murphy for a while but I tore those up pretty quick.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 18, 2018

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Nah this place is waaaaay west Phoenix, 32 miles from Mesa and the school I want to go to. There are a ton of studios less than a mile from the school, and I need a stable budget (and budgetary plan) for the application and school itself. It's going to be 5 days a week not including clinicals once that starts in the second semester and I think being able to walk to save on gas and wear/tear is a better option.

Also, I plan on keeping my current job in the downtown county hospital in Phoenix, and the morning traffic going from Mesa -> Phoenix at 5:30, while terrible, is an order of magnitude less lovely than the morning traffic going from Tolleson (where I am now, basically) -> Phoenix at the same time. The 202 is terrible, but the 10 is loving suicide.

I don't really *need* any of that poo poo you are getting rid of, and certainly have no place for that couch, or really the work bench, but I might be able to re-do the garage to fit it. Drill press and stuff would be nice to have.

If you don't find any goons that actually have a use for all that stuff, shoot me a message and I'll work with you to get it out of your place, and as a bonus if you ever need to use it, or for that matter decide that you want some of it back, you are welcome to do either. The washer would probably just get put on my back patio or in the garage and get covered unless my current washer dies, which hopefully it won't since it's fairly new.

If you see yourself really wanting any of it back after you finish school, I could probably store it for you here (except for the couch, no place for that), unless I move for some reason which I don't currently see happening.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'll keep you in mind, then:) . It's just a Wen 9 inch drill press, but it works well and has a true chuck. Gotta move out by March 1st but also gotta have my taxes to do that. Gonna be a busy February.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slothrop posted:

Is it worth trying to stay in that place and get some roommates to cover rent rather than ditching all your hard earned loot?

All other reasons aside, roommates are almost always stress and drama which sounds unwelcome to say the least.

Glad you're okay MGS.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Glad to see you back MGS.

So bit of a rant (unrelated to MGS). Stepdad finally took my advice about getting a desktop, but him being as cheap as he is, he was trying to save a buck and was hitting up independent computer shops. My experience with most of those has been... less than pleasant.

Owner of the shop showed him a high end Lenovo gaming rig. Stepdad sent me the model #, I notice the discrepancy in the claimed age (shop claims 1.5 years old.. it's a Haswell i7), but the specs look pretty decent when I look it up - i7-4770, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Geforce GTX 630. A bit on the expensive side for what it is, and he doesn't need such a powerful video card (he does day trading and does need multiple monitors, but the 630 would be overkill). He asks if it's something I would personally buy, I say "probably, it looks pretty decent for a prebuilt system... a little more than I'd like to pay, but if he's willing to warranty it, go for it - it'd probably be about the same cost as building one", so he got it.

I went over tonight to help him hook it up. Immediately notice it's not running an OEM license on Win10, so that's probably pirated (it originally shipped with Windows 8.1, so the 8.1 key is in the UEFI.. if the previous owner did a legit 10 upgrade, it should be showing an OEM key, I think? not entirely sure on that one), and has Office 2007, so I know drat well Office is pirated. Wait, why's it showing 8GB of RAM, and where's the video card? Pop the side panel off... it has 1 stick out of a 4 stick set of G Skill RAM (32GB set going by the part number, but some super high end RAM that someone probably paid a fortune for years ago), so it's down to 8GB. The original video card is long gone (though you could see the dust buildup on the PCI-X slot from the video card fan), just onboard video. :sigh: And that 1.5 year old claim was bullshit like I suspected - mfg date was 5/2013. Though I'm not worried about the HDD - it has a HGST drive in it, I have 3 of those in my current system, one of them with 8 years of run time on it now. They're solid drives in my experience. No idea what kind of CPU HSF it has.. it's not the stock one, but it's quiet, and seems to run cool.

I'm pissed that he got mislead about the system, and that he wound up overpaying considerably, but it seems like a solid system for a pre-built, and very serviceable. I removed Office 2007, installed my (legal, 5 PC license) copy of Office 2016, ran Windows update (it was up to date, so at least the seller handled that for him), got Chrome going, and I'm going to slap one of my old video cards in it to get it running multiple monitors (hopefully it doesn't disable the onboard video when it sees another card.. it only has one PCIx 16 slot, several of the short PCIx slots, and no normal PCI slots - at least it has 3 USB 3.0 ports, so if it comes to that, we can just toss a couple of USB 3 to DVI/HDMI dongles at it).

He's been clinging on to the idea that a $300 laptop can do everything a much beefier desktop can do for far too long (and bitching about it being so slow, and bitching about not being able to hook up 4 loving monitors, bitching about the 1366xwhatever resolution of the cheap panel in low end laptops, etc). I'm sure a high end laptop with a docking station could do what he wants, but it's a lot cheaper to do it with a proper desktop.

He also went and bought a "new in box, just been in storage for a year" 24" monitor to go with it. I asked him to at least check for the mounting holes on the back before buying it (since he plans to get one of those ridiculous 4 monitor stands), and to make sure he's getting a cable with it. Got a Samsung LED monitor, but from 2011. No VESA mount holes, no cables except for the power supply (why does Samsung love external power supplies so much?!). :argh: I was able to find an old VGA cable in the garage though.

It's a PC I wouldn't mind for myself (I'm running a ~2009 i5 FFS), he just wound up overpaying pretty badly on it based on the model # and a lack of information given by the seller. :sigh: Got a Samsung SSD ordered for it too, it'll be waiting for me to install when I get back from my short vacay.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jan 18, 2018

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Doc Martens is a trademark that got bought out- the original manufacturers still operate under the name Solovair, from what I have heard the "new" doc martens branded shoes aren't nearly as good quality as the old ones.

Another option for cheap smart shoes can be hitting up military surplus places, cheap leather dress shoes and sometimes they are even halfway comfy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Dad got scammed

I'd be taking that poo poo back and demanding a refund, they gave him a fraction of the claimed spec. I'd also leave bad reviews wherever possible.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I just saw a real RHD Ferrari F40....! (RHD? WTF?). Even at 30 years old, it simply smashes the poo poo out of any new supercar for pure jaw dropping gorgeous looks.

I've never wanted to go buy a lottery ticket so bad in my life and hope.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd be taking that poo poo back and demanding a refund, they gave him a fraction of the claimed spec. I'd also leave bad reviews wherever possible.

Yeah uh... that part where he paid cash? Owner said he couldn't give a receipt if he paid cash, as they both knew paying cash would avoid taxes.

Also, he paid cash to avoid paying tax, so the shop owner can tell him to gently caress off, as he has no proof it came from him. And despite all this, stepdad still feels like the owner is an "honest guy". It's a lot easier to just let it go instead of trying to get him to change his mind. We discussed returning it, he'd rather just chalk it up to an expensive lesson (... and still wants to go buy RAM from him :argh:).

He probably overpaid by about $100-150, if ebay is to be trusted. 95% of the listings I could find are for the i5 version though, I only found one with the i7. It'd still cost more to build a current gen i7, if I went with a 7700 (which is the closest thing in the current i7 lineup to what he has), and it still beats the poo poo out of my own PC. A somewhat recent i5 with a SSD would have served his needs just as well IMO, but he had to have an i7 once he found out it existed.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 18, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I just saw a real RHD Ferrari F40....! (RHD? WTF?). Even at 30 years old, it simply smashes the poo poo out of any new supercar for pure jaw dropping gorgeous looks.

The F40 shits on an amazing amount of modern cars in terms of style.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Apparently the only RHD ones were a run of seven(!) built for the Sultan of Brunei.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Last night there was a heavy storm with strong winds across most of the UK. It was so noisy that it woke me up in the night and I had to put ear plugs in to get back to sleep.

Top subject on my local area facebook group from someone who apparently lives around 200metres away from me:

:ughh:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Amazing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I saw someone street parking one outside a bar in London a few years ago, which was both :staredog: and :awesome:.

Does Australia still have that thing about requiring RHD conversion of imports?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

gently caress I love community FB groups, so much entertainment. Well that, and thinly veiled racism.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

DesperateDan posted:

Doc Martens is a trademark that got bought out- the original manufacturers still operate under the name Solovair, from what I have heard the "new" doc martens branded shoes aren't nearly as good quality as the old ones.

Another option for cheap smart shoes can be hitting up military surplus places, cheap leather dress shoes and sometimes they are even halfway comfy.

I've heard that, but I also know people who have the new ones and no issues. It's a crapshoot.

And I just got out of the military, I have plenty of those dress shoes. If you think they're comfy you're a goddamn masochist.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yeah uh... that part where he paid cash? Owner said he couldn't give a receipt if he paid cash, as they both knew paying cash would avoid taxes.

Also, he paid cash to avoid paying tax, so the shop owner can tell him to gently caress off, as he has no proof it came from him. And despite all this, stepdad still feels like the owner is an "honest guy". It's a lot easier to just let it go instead of trying to get him to change his mind. We discussed returning it, he'd rather just chalk it up to an expensive lesson (... and still wants to go buy RAM from him :argh:).

He probably overpaid by about $100-150, if ebay is to be trusted. 95% of the listings I could find are for the i5 version though, I only found one with the i7. It'd still cost more to build a current gen i7, if I went with a 7700 (which is the closest thing in the current i7 lineup to what he has), and it still beats the poo poo out of my own PC. A somewhat recent i5 with a SSD would have served his needs just as well IMO, but he had to have an i7 once he found out it existed.

gently caress people who take advantage of those who don't know any better.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

gently caress I love community FB groups, so much entertainment. Well that, and thinly veiled racism.

The one for my little nothing town in NH is just people bitching about Taxes and how great the local pizza place is (it isn't very good tbh)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So did he overpay for the claimed or actual spec? Seeing as he's down a pile of ram and a high end-ish video card (don't know, not an expert) that sounds like a lot more than $150.

This basically:

mariooncrack posted:

gently caress people who take advantage of those who don't know any better.

At some point I'm going to need a decent desktop for kids homework etc, and home cad sucks on a laptop. I'll want an all in one because PCs are ugly and I want to minimise that. Shallow I know but that's the hole I'll dig for myself.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Sorry about disappearing for a month. Lot of stupid poo poo going on, along with some stressful close encounters. The weight of 2017, both personally and the state of the nation kind of hit me really bad, too.

Don't worry about the state of the nation right now. Put your own oxygen mask on before helping others.

2018 is going to be an alcohol-free, high-stress year of change.

Excellent! Going alcohol-free sees immediate, enormous improvements. It'll get you back up top quick. Your attitude seems to be going in a great direction. Nowhere to go but up, right?

I find, personally, I am happiest when I am affecting enormous amounts of positive change in my life. Fight that entropy.

The ex finally actually left (though she's paying her part of the lease until March, thank everything) and I'm just alone here wandering an empty house that's way too big for one person while looking at $440/month studio shitpartments nearer to the school that I hope to get into by May. Work is stressful and life generally sucks but I need to get all of the car poo poo done before I move while I still have a garage.

Rich and successful people often long for the days they were just starting out in a studio apartment, broke, with any number of doors ready to be beaten down. You got this.

William Earnest Henley - Invictus posted:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Adiabatic you were right about the roads in Costa Rica. I have never gotten motion sick from a car ride before but crossing the cloud forest last night broke that streak.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yup. The 1800s were when the truly ground-floor existential poetry was created. My touchstone on that bend is Thanatopsis by William Cullen Bryant. And there's the bulk of Ralph Waldo Emerson's work, both as a preacher, and (after his wife died) his life after leaving the church. Henry David Thoreau is much lauded, but pales in comparison to Emerson, who was Thoreau's mentor.

That's meatpimp's primer on Transcendentalist poetry for today.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Alcohol chat...

I go completely dry periodically, about a month at a time a couple times a year. Right now is one of those times, been dry since just after new year. I'm not a small guy but my blood pressure drops and I lose weight, even when not changing anything else at all. Still eat out from time to time, snack on poo poo food, eat ice cream, make a milkshake, whatever.

I also sleep by order of magnitude better. As in, I have a broken rib right now and I find I wake up less from discomfort than when I "regularly" drink. If I drink, I wake up probably 7+ times per night, even if I haven't drank at all that night at all or a couple nights before. It takes me about a week for my body to get used to its no alcohol mode. It's a crazy feeling waking up sort of refreshed than rather than exhausted each time. It's also nice that I can actually sleep in on a weekend with quality sleep - something I can't do if I drink at all.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I really only drink when I hang out with my pops. My mom works nights Sun Wed and Thurs so we hang out and have a couple cocktails. It does affect my weight loss I'm sure but hes said before he looks forward to those nights and the old man is 68 so I figure its worth the extra calories to hang out with him. I could just not drink of course but I'm not good at socializing and the alcohol helps with that.

Darchangel posted:

The RX-7 is currently a non-running vehicle (surprise!) but I can do them in the Crown Vic, if you like. Also, not a Lambo, but it does burnouts (full disclosure: have to power brake for a proper burnout. Only get a little scratch just nailing the gas):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJvi40eyUE
:whatup:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

rdb posted:

Adiabatic you were right about the roads in Costa Rica. I have never gotten motion sick from a car ride before but crossing the cloud forest last night broke that streak.

It's a lot more fun when you're driving. You feel like Gronholm or Kankkunen. The Mrs and I beat the absolute dogshit out of our Daihatsu SonosTerios or whatever the gently caress it was.

Seminal Flu posted:

Yup. The 1800s were when the truly ground-floor existential poetry was created. My touchstone on that bend is Thanatopsis by William Cullen Bryant. And there's the bulk of Ralph Waldo Emerson's work, both as a preacher, and (after his wife died) his life after leaving the church. Henry David Thoreau is much lauded, but pales in comparison to Emerson, who was Thoreau's mentor.

That's meatpimp's primer on Transcendentalist poetry for today.

Thanks for the leads yo! I've read Walden but that's about the gist of my Transcendentalist streak. Sounds like something I should read.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks for the leads yo! I've read Walden but that's about the gist of my Transcendentalist streak. Sounds like something I should read.

Wait until you get to the part in Emerson's journal where he opened his dead wife's casket after a year. :coal:

But seriously, Emerson (both secular and non-secular), along with his Transcendentalist pal Margaret Fuller have a very grounded view of things that could be of good use to many in the present age.

• Locked thread