Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

fruit on the bottom posted:

Well, better nate than lever

I'm stealing this pun for my UC LP (Whenever I stop playing AssCreedO)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Is there a thread favorite for a headset to use for voice comms? I have the sound coming from speakers so just need something to communicate with my party members.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Managed to snag Yakuza 0 and Danganronpa 1/2 Reload on the cheap.

Thanks for getting me into Yakuza thread

This song also played a big part in convincing me it's going to own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKbkd4M_ZVk

1:50 :allears:

I hope there are more songs like this, cause :hellyeah: pump up music

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Adaptabullshit posted:

Is there a thread favorite for a headset to use for voice comms? I have the sound coming from speakers so just need something to communicate with my party members.

There's no faster way to piss off your teammates than having sound come from your speakers, you will get feedback and echo through your mic. A headset is mandatory if you want voice comms.

That said, if you're on a budget you can't go wrong with hyperx headsets.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Speaking of headsets. At the moment I just use headphones I plug in my controller. I found several cheap headphones online that also have a built-in mic, will that mic work if I just plug them in my controller?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

shut up blegum posted:

Speaking of headsets. At the moment I just use headphones I plug in my controller. I found several cheap headphones online that also have a built-in mic, will that mic work if I just plug them in my controller?

Yes, I've used my huawei headphones for months and they work perfectly. Sure, you get better results with a decent headset with a proper mic but any headphones that comes with a phone or whatever will do the trick.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ok what the gently caress is this game even about

That just got more and more insane and then I could barely handle the crescendo of "Manage your own baseball team!" "Open world shark hunting!" "Creepy dating simulation!"

e "Carry a baby sometimes!"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Get a load of this guy that hasn't been to a hostess club before

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Inspector Hound posted:

Ok what the gently caress is this game even about

That just got more and more insane and then I could barely handle the crescendo of "Manage your own baseball team!" "Open world shark hunting!" "Creepy dating simulation!"

e "Carry a baby sometimes!"
It's mostly about beating people up in an ultra-violent yet totally justified way that everyone agrees with. Also sometimes you hold a baby and manage a baseball team and stuff.

edit: technically you don't manage the cat cafe though, just scout cats for it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I bought PS4 recently and decided to play Uncharted remastered bundle starting with the first one. It isn't going too well because the game is kinda ... crap? It's really boring and awkward shooting sessions one after another. So the question is, does it get better or this is pretty much it? I am now in a spanish fort looking for girl after the plane crash.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Skip the first one. It's a relic

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

UC1 is really rough, both in terms of the gameplay mechanics and encounter design. It's worth plowing through for some of the Nate/Elena interactions, but it's mostly forgettable. UC2 is where the series hits its stride, and you'll be kind of astounded how much better it is than UC1 in literally every possible way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sekenr posted:

I bought PS4 recently and decided to play Uncharted remastered bundle starting with the first one. It isn't going too well because the game is kinda ... crap? It's really boring and awkward shooting sessions one after another. So the question is, does it get better or this is pretty much it? I am now in a spanish fort looking for girl after the plane crash.

It gets better when you start playing Uncharted 2 and this isn't a series where subtle plot nuances and references are important, so feel free to bail.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That thumbnail should've been the boxart for the game.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cool, thanks.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: technically you don't manage the cat cafe though, just scout cats for it.

How does this series just keep getting better and better?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

How does this series just keep getting better and better?

By understanding the surrounding society and living by the WWKD mindset.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sekenr posted:

Uncharted 1 is a perfect example of how 11 years can turn a game from "mildly impressive year one tech demo" into "boring, uninspired revisionist garbage".

Its not terrible on its own terms but if you're played any videogame in the past ten years where you move a human around a 3D area its going to feel sub par.

Also the movement is oddly floaty and off putting but they fix that in later Uncharteds.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
drat, 11 years ago.

When Uncharted 1 originally came out, the equivalently aged games at the time were Mario 64 and Quake. UC1 compares to UC4 a lot more favorably today than 1996 games compare to UC1... diminishing returns I guess.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I beat Uncharted 1 more out of stubbornness than enjoyment and, in retrospect, you really aren't losing much by just watching a video of the last cutscene, I can't really think of anything else relevant that happens in that one.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Electromax posted:

drat, 11 years ago.

When Uncharted 1 originally came out, the equivalently aged games at the time were Mario 64 and Quake. UC1 compares to UC4 a lot more favorably today than 1996 games compare to UC1... diminishing returns I guess.

Mario64 and Quake are still legitimately brilliant games though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

CrRoMa posted:

Mario64 and Quake are still legitimately brilliant games though.

That wasn't really the point but imagine Bubsy 3D instead if you like... point was I think 11 years is a lot less harsh now than it used to be. I don't think UC4 will be very notable in 2025 either because it's the same gameplay with a nicer package.

No one every talks about UC multiplayer anymore which is too bad but I bought 4 for the MP first and didn't really find the single player very memorable. I've played online more than any other game though, love the gameplay/movement.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electromax posted:

That wasn't really the point but imagine Bubsy 3D instead if you like... point was I think 11 years is a lot less harsh now than it used to be. I don't think UC4 will be very notable in 2025 either because it's the same gameplay with a nicer package.

No one every talks about UC multiplayer anymore which is too bad but I bought 4 for the MP first and didn't really find the single player very memorable. I've played online more than any other game though, love the gameplay/movement.

Bubsy 3D was never even close to mediocre, let alone good.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It's definitely the category I'd reserve for "boring garbage", maybe the 2007 equivalent would be Ninjabread Man? Either way basically I think calling UC1 garbage is overly harsh unless you didn't know it was over a decade old, otherwise I'd give it a pass compared to actual middling games from that time.

Uninspired is accurate though, it's clear they spent a ton of time on tech for UC1 and didn't really stretch the legs of what they came up with, but the additional of setpieces like the collapsing buildings and trains of the sequel made it a lot more memorable. I get a Pixar vibe from them sometimes with the snow/train in UC2, flooding ship/fire in UC3, huge areas in UC4, just trying to one-up themselves on a technical achievement level each time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah the legacy of the Uncharted series is the sophistication of its environmental detail and character animations, and of course those age poorly compared to gameplay in most cases. But honestly UC1 is playable with just a few updates in 2017 when literally almost every other third person shooter from that era is completely unplayable burning garbage now.

The heyday of the cute mascot platformer was not just about demographics but about working within technical limitations, and Naughty Dog closed the book on that for a while. The legacy of Uncharted is also in the DNA of every "cinematic" action game of the past decade that wanted a piece of what Uncharted did

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah the legacy of the Uncharted series is the sophistication of its environmental detail and character animations, and of course those age poorly compared to gameplay in most cases. But honestly UC1 is playable with just a few updates in 2017 when literally almost every other third person shooter from that era is completely unplayable burning garbage now.

The heyday of the cute mascot platformer was not just about demographics but about working within technical limitations, and Naughty Dog closed the book on that for a while. The legacy of Uncharted is also in the DNA of every "cinematic" action game of the past decade that wanted a piece of what Uncharted did

I agree with this. I played UC1 on Easy just for plot and then UC2 and 3 on Normal. That worked for me really well. I’m in the midst of UC4, but decided to step away and play other stuff for now. I’ll come back to it. There are some fundamental gameplay differences that they made between 3 and 4 and I found some of them kinda jarring (the reload button change that was mentioned earlier and aiming feels really different) but I also like the addition of using the rope and repelling.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's a good reminder that I should play Uncharted Lost Legacy, though. I had Monster Hunter World at the top of my Gamefly Q but I bumped Uncharted back up, maybe I can squeeze that in before MHW drops

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

UC4 is great but the thing that bothers me most about it is not where the hell Sam comes from but how Nate goes from Catholic orphanage in America to roaming the streets of Cartagena, Columbia. Alone. Then Sully also knows Sam. The chain of events is missing many links!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lost Legacy takes a brisk 6-8 hours to complete which is pretty much the ideal length for an Uncharted game to not wear out its welcome.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Did someone say bubsy?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even when uncharted 1 was first released I felt like it was only moderately fun. What really made it stand out was the lush, colorful environments, good VA, and fairly entertaining story in a time where most games were brown and had stories so horrendous it was ideal to just skip them as much as possible.

it really feels like a proof of concept for the later games, which are all great. I didn't think twice about skipping it when I got the collection.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SettingSun posted:

UC4 is great but the thing that bothers me most about it is not where the hell Sam comes from but how Nate goes from Catholic orphanage in America to roaming the streets of Cartagena, Columbia. Alone. Then Sully also knows Sam. The chain of events is missing many links!

Wasn't the orphanage in Columbia? And Sam would know Sully since Nate met him when he was like 12 years old. Sam and Nate seemed to be pretty close until Nate was well into his 20's

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Uncharted would not have survived 4 games if they'd gone for boring environments. A bunch of sewers and warehouses and docks. Bleh.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any Japanese players pick up Dragon Quest XI? If so, how is it? I played VIII on the PS2 and I enjoyed it immensely so this coming out on the PS4 is fantastic news.

I didn't realize it was released a while back in Japan but since I'm behind on news and read it's getting a western release this year I figured I'd ask to see how the game is.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

Wasn't the orphanage in Columbia? And Sam would know Sully since Nate met him when he was like 12 years old. Sam and Nate seemed to be pretty close until Nate was well into his 20's

No it's in Boston according to the art book apparently

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pablo Gigante posted:

No it's in Boston according to the art book apparently

It’s a common misunderstanding, like that time I thought I ended up in Prague but ultimately turned out to be in Santa Fe.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Monster Hunter isn't out till next week, I've basically got 2 options to pick from for the next couple of nights. Finally replay Final Fantasy 9 for the first time in something like 17 years or give Dark Souls 2 an honest shot in anticipation of the upcoming DS1 remaster.

I'm leaning towards FF just because playing 7 with the ps4 cheats on was hilarious and cathartic. Also it's a lot less like Monster Hunter than Dark Souls although if I remember rightly there is some kind of hunting competition at some point? I dunno I just rememver Vivi being cool.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

As much as I like Dark Souls 2, Vivi is really cool and it's good to chill before settling in for the MH grind.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

FF9 is chill as hell, I would go with that but DS2 is also my least favorite Soulsborne game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Any Japanese players pick up Dragon Quest XI? If so, how is it? I played VIII on the PS2 and I enjoyed it immensely so this coming out on the PS4 is fantastic news.

I didn't realize it was released a while back in Japan but since I'm behind on news and read it's getting a western release this year I figured I'd ask to see how the game is.
I haven't played it but from everything I've heard it plays like a souped up DQ8. Here's hoping they announce a date for the localization soon.