Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

poemdexter posted:

As long as you stream every day for 12 hours, after a year you'll be eligible!

I think the time is aggretate from your viewers. Not you as the producer. I am probably wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I think the time is aggretate from your viewers. Not you as the producer. I am probably wrong though.

Whomever gambles on that and pulls through it can look forward to Youtube once again arbitrarily cutting ad-compensation or further gating access to partnerships.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Seems like a content producer would have to be very tiny not to be hitting those figures, and if someone is that tiny, I can't see Youtube ad revenue being a significant income source for that person anyway.

Let's say that your videos average 3 minutes, which is probably pretty short for content creators. In that scenario, 4000 hours of view time is equivalent to 80,000 views total across all videos you have on your channel. Assuming you're making around $8 per thousand views (which seems to be the high end these days) that's a maximum of $640 per year.

So really, this is only affecting folks who are drawing a few hundred bucks out of Youtube each year, which makes all of the "well now it's not worth my time" responses kind of strange.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Baronash posted:

Seems like a content producer would have to be very tiny not to be hitting those figures, and if someone is that tiny, I can't see Youtube ad revenue being a significant income source for that person anyway.

Let's say that your videos average 3 minutes, which is probably pretty short for content creators. In that scenario, 4000 hours of view time is equivalent to 80,000 views total across all videos you have on your channel. Assuming you're making around $8 per thousand views (which seems to be the high end these days) that's a maximum of $640 per year.

So really, this is only affecting folks who are drawing a few hundred bucks out of Youtube each year, which makes all of the "well now it's not worth my time" responses kind of strange.

Monetized videos are given priority in YouTube's search algorithm. This basically made YT worthless for anyone not already popular.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Baronash posted:

Maximum of $640 a year sure, but the more likely ad revenue on that sort of audience is closer to $20-$60 a year. Especially since you usually get the worse ad spots when the activity is that low.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 8, 2022

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Rime posted:

This basically just rolls back their policy to how it was six or seven years ago, when the startup I had co-founded became what is now the largest monetization network around. Machinima, Maker, etc would later copy the model but I created it. Ahh, those heady days of cold-calling 13 year olds and telling them we can get them monetized if they just give us 40% of their revenue. :allears:

YouTube is a worthless garbage fire so who gives a gently caress.

This is good news for me, since the free for all partnership model was eating my former employers lunch. Hopefully I can finally cash out for enough to not eat catfood in my old age now.

Source your quotes

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 7, 2022

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

What does it feel like when your soul dies and you become a horrible person? I hope it hurt.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
/

Rime fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 8, 2022

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008

BrandorKP posted:

They look like that because of the maritime industry and the challenge of insuring ships. That's my context and I'm looking at what you're talking about like this :psyduck:

Seriously in maritime our poo poo is voodoo black magic and tradition, but this stuff is wow.

I want to hear more about the voodoo black magic and tradition of maritime insurance.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I follow a lot of niche content producers and I don't think any of them have fewer than 1,000 subscribers. This does mean new channels will need to scale up quickly, but I don't see this as that big a deal. I can accept that YouTube wants to draw the line somewhere. Reviewing channels on a case-by-case basis must be insanely time-consuming, and this probably does a ton to cut down the number of manual reviews needed.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ryonguy posted:

Small content producer? YouScrewed.
I have a had time feeling sympathy for anybody expecting to make money from advertising. If you run a channel as a hobby this won't affect you, and if you're serious enough to hope to earn income from it then start a Patreon.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

TACD posted:

I have a had time feeling sympathy for anybody expecting to make money from advertising. If you run a channel as a hobby this won't affect you, and if you're serious enough to hope to earn income from it then start a Patreon.

Non-monetized videos are given lower priority in search engines and other algorithms, so it isn't just about the money.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

TACD posted:

YouTube actively works to prevent people from monetizing their videos through Patreon.

It's getting to be pretty clear we're going to go back to the standard of people running their own websites to serve their content any day now, at least for real revenue-driven media. The content distributors give no shits about anybody except whales. The hell is the point of all this hassle with monetizing when you can toss up a website template and add a video by pasting
code:
<video width="320" height="240" controls>
  <source src="2girls1cup.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  Your browser sucks.
</video>
in html. Sure you gotta do the web dev yourself, and pay for the hosting and bandwidth, but after a certain point the loving without lube by distribution channels becomes less of a value comparatively. The whole system of online ad serving and monetizing is broken anyways. How it works now is designed to be revenue generation for the ad provider, not the person actually selling the ad space. It's as if a magazine sold ad space by getting a third party to provide them with ads and only got a small percentage of what the third party received instead of selling directly. It's stupid as hell. Not to mention the problems of people serving malware over them.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

LeJackal posted:

Non-monetized videos are given lower priority in search engines and other algorithms, so it isn't just about the money.

That kinda makes it all about the money.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I wonder what percentage of users need to be using adblock before YT dies.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I wonder what percentage of users need to be using adblock before YT dies.
Adblock say something in Japanese before hitting youtube with like 5 thousand million fists, now Adblock is counting to 5.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ryonguy posted:

YouTube actively works to prevent people from monetizing their videos through Patreon.
I didn't know this! How do they do that, is it more than the lower prioritisation LeJackal mentioned?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

ryonguy posted:

It's getting to be pretty clear we're going to go back to the standard of people running their own websites to serve their content any day now, at least for real revenue-driven media. The content distributors give no shits about anybody except whales. The hell is the point of all this hassle with monetizing when you can toss up a website template and add a video by pasting
code:
<video width="320" height="240" controls>
  <source src="2girls1cup.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  Your browser sucks.
</video>
in html. Sure you gotta do the web dev yourself, and pay for the hosting and bandwidth, but after a certain point the loving without lube by distribution channels becomes less of a value comparatively. The whole system of online ad serving and monetizing is broken anyways. How it works now is designed to be revenue generation for the ad provider, not the person actually selling the ad space. It's as if a magazine sold ad space by getting a third party to provide them with ads and only got a small percentage of what the third party received instead of selling directly. It's stupid as hell. Not to mention the problems of people serving malware over them.

There's no way people are going back to self-hosting. Large services like youtube have distributed stores, guaranteed uptimes, fast loading, good backups, that sort of thing. You can't just host a video on some random hosting service and get anything like what youtube provides, and that's not even mentioning the effort of getting people to come to your specific website instead of the huge place that aggregates all the videos.

Basically, that model is done, and it's never coming back.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 18, 2018

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

TACD posted:

I didn't know this! How do they do that, is it more than the lower prioritisation LeJackal mentioned?

I think it's that they don't allow you to have in-video links to Patreon pages

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

a foolish pianist posted:

There's no way people are going back to self-hosting. Large services like youtube have distributed stores, guaranteed uptimes, fast loading, good backups, that sort of thing. You can't just host a video on some random hosting service and get anything like what youtube provides, and that's not even mentioning the effort of getting people to come to your specific website instead of the huge place that aggregates all the videos.

Basically, that model is done, and it's never coming back.

I'm not sure about that. If internet video becomes as corporatized and top-down as television (if it becomes a new form of "cable," essentially), then the forces that produced the first wave of Internet creativity will probably re-manifest. If anything, the costs of hosting and overhead are cheaper now than they were in the web 1.0 days of putting a .mov file on your personal server. People did personal stuff on the web the first time around because the platform was free and open. Net neutrality puts a big damper on that, obviously, and hopefully there will be some pushback against that. But life, uh, finds a way...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LeJackal posted:

So are small channels with low viewership in general. Monetized or not.

All that really ends up meaning is you can't just put out the exact same things all the big boys are doing and expect you'll suddenly get to be a MylarVideos with 6 million fans, the capacity to commit horrible crimes on camera, and then post a whiny video apologizing for it when your ad revenue gets cut a bit.

Neon Noodle posted:

I'm not sure about that. If internet video becomes as corporatized and top-down as television (if it becomes a new form of "cable," essentially), then the forces that produced the first wave of Internet creativity will probably re-manifest. If anything, the costs of hosting and overhead are cheaper now than they were in the web 1.0 days of putting a .mov file on your personal server. People did personal stuff on the web the first time around because the platform was free and open. Net neutrality puts a big damper on that, obviously, and hopefully there will be some pushback against that. But life, uh, finds a way...

Yeah and when people did that stuff you didn't loving make any money off of it plus you have all the costs of paying for the hosting, plus you have trouble actually getting visibility to the mass public. And if you say "well I don't care about making money" or "I don't care about it being easy to search", then why would you leave YouTube in the first place? At least dumping your non-money-making video there means you don't got to pay for hosting costs on top of all the other costs behind a video.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 18, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Crossposting from C-SPAM's doomsday economics thread:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

aware of dog posted:

I think it's that they don't allow you to have in-video links to Patreon pages

My understanding is they don't allow you to have in-video links period (unless you are monetizing), not just links to Patreon, the explanation being that in-video links tend to be used a lot for spam. You can still have a link to Patreon in the description as far as I know.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://twitter.com/bob_burrough/status/953944369001742336

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Discendo Vox posted:

Crossposting from C-SPAM's doomsday economics thread:
Goddamn I had forgotten like half of that already. Also: half a billion in lawyer fees in two years has to be some kind of a record in this context.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Commissar Kayla posted:

I want to hear more about the voodoo black magic and tradition of maritime insurance.

I work for a non profit and mostly I just try to keep things from killing people, that's what we were created to do. Sometimes insurance companies (or goverments) require other companies to hire people like me (except often from for profits). There is a very wide variation, particularly internationally, in the practices and standards they enforce. Even though it's all supposed to be governed by international treaty and national laws. That's going to get worse going forward too.

It's all extremely low probability extremely high risk stuff. There aren't really probabilities or even costs that can be assigned. Think like potential unique historical disasters. If you can think of it and it's been transported by ship, that's the scope of what of look at. We did the Peita when it shipped. Anyway some physical equipment (ships and terminals) out there even date back to like the 1890's and there is not exactly uh documentation availible.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

It's actually a lot easier and cheaper to self host video now than its ever been. Cloud storage is very cheap and highly reliable, and most browsers can display video with a few lines of native HTML. You might need to pay a little bit for a CDN, but even that has come down a lot in cost, and there are services like Cloudinary that provide a lot of that functionality out of the box that have a free tier, so it'd be easy to set up to start. You could use Stripe and Stripe Subscriptions to monetize through donations and member content, no Patreon required. It's a bit more work than just uploading to youtube, but it's mostly upfront work and you could probably hire somebody cheap from Upwork to do it for you if you really don't want to gently caress around with that.

The problem would be growing your reach, since you wouldn't have YouTube's built-in network effects, but that's a marketing problem and it's not necessarily harder without YouTube, just different.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

It's actually a lot easier and cheaper to self host video now than its ever been. Cloud storage is very cheap and highly reliable, and most browsers can display video with a few lines of native HTML. You might need to pay a little bit for a CDN, but even that has come down a lot in cost, and there are services like Cloudinary that provide a lot of that functionality out of the box that have a free tier, so it'd be easy to set up to start. You could use Stripe and Stripe Subscriptions to monetize through donations and member content, no Patreon required. It's a bit more work than just uploading to youtube, but it's mostly upfront work and you could probably hire somebody cheap from Upwork to do it for you if you really don't want to gently caress around with that.

The problem would be growing your reach, since you wouldn't have YouTube's built-in network effects, but that's a marketing problem and it's not necessarily harder without YouTube, just different.

Some quick back of the envelope calculations based on AWS S3 egress prices comes out to about $0.77 per hour of 1080p video streamed. Better hope your 10 minute video doesn't go viral and get a million views or you're looking at a $130,000 bill for the month

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Can't you still embed youtube videos in your own website?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jose Valasquez posted:

Some quick back of the envelope calculations based on AWS S3 egress prices comes out to about $0.77 per hour of 1080p video streamed. Better hope your 10 minute video doesn't go viral and get a million views or you're looking at a $130,000 bill for the month

Yeah if you're very small time then sure it's affordable - but if you're that small time for the price to stay negligible then you're also small time enough that why did you even leave YouTube in the first place? And any serious popularity instantly means you're suddenly responsible for thousands of dollars and no guarantee at all that you'll get ad or sponsorship money to match up.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

even then, cloudflare has flat rate plans for CDNs*. stick all your media behind that and let them handle making it economical.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

FamDav posted:

even then, cloudflare has flat rate plans for CDNs*. stick all your media behind that and let them handle making it economical.

Cloudflare doesn't recommend streaming video through their CDN because it has performance problems. That probably isn't going to work with any kind of volume.

They have a streaming solution in beta but I'm betting it's gonna cost more than their flat rate CDN.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Jose Valasquez posted:

Cloudflare doesn't recommend streaming video through their CDN because it has performance problems. That probably isn't going to work with any kind of volume.

They have a streaming solution in beta but I'm betting it's gonna cost more than their flat rate CDN.

oh cool. i knew about their all-in-one stream thing they're beta'ing, but didn't know about the CDN+video performance thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/jessesingal/status/954218348107137024

Did it blow up yet?

(Screenshot:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

"Proof of work will entitle the owner to a house and a salary."

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Baby Babbeh posted:

A similar thing is happening now with Wikia. Whenever a Wiki is big enough to get significant ad revenue, the top contributors usually fork it from Wikia to a self-hosted site and keep the money, while the Wikia site dies due to not having many editors. I can see a similar thing happening with YouTube channels that have a small but dedicated fanbase

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

its Austin, the same city who turned its homeless population into wifi routers in an attempt to get people to not dehumanize them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Konstantin posted:

A similar thing is happening now with Wikia. Whenever a Wiki is big enough to get significant ad revenue, the top contributors usually fork it from Wikia to a self-hosted site and keep the money, while the Wikia site dies due to not having many editors. I can see a similar thing happening with YouTube channels that have a small but dedicated fanbase

Well theres also Wikia being covered in a ton of ads, some of which are malicious.