Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Seriously, though. What a bizarre career for Andrew Bryniarski. Chip Shreck, Zangief, Leatherface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

SF soundtrack was amazing, a bunch of original songs by Nas, Ras Kass, Pharcyde, it was pretty crazy.

how have I never heard of this

I must correct this immediately

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blanka being turned into a monster by being shown the 20th century's greatest atrocities traumatized me as a kid, and I always forget that prime Kylie Minogue, looking the best she's ever looked, is just in that movie with nothing to do.

She probably had a ton of stuff to do, just most of it was "be harassed by Van Damme"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

She probably had a ton of stuff to do, just most of it was "be harassed by Van Damme"

Nah, they were having an affair on the set.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Nah, they were having an affair on the set.

Probably the most famous story from the set other than the Raul Julia stuff.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Gatts posted:

He MADE that movie, imo. Like, he took it, and elevated it into something people actually remember as entertaining. In a way it works because even if its not exactly a great dramatic tour de force or something he stands out in it and speaks to his talent to entertain. Every time people post or talk about the movie, it feels like he's what they remember or quote out of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjZ5I8l32CI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzl3uvkkmmo

The cast speak glowingly of him. He was really, really diminished by the time he got to set and was on his way out, and they couldn't believe this drained man was going to be the villain. He put on the costume, and transformed. He really is a thousand times better than he needs to be.

Timby posted:

She's so hilariously miscast as Guile's aide-de-camp but some of the bizarre casting is part of that movie's charm. Like, you've got loving Magua as a retired cage fighter turned arms dealer, Mulan as a reporter / ninja hellbent on revenge, Chip Shreck as a Russian lunkhead ... it's great.

Hell of a score by Graeme Revell, too, I found it at Half-Price Books a while back for like three bucks.

Don't forget Die Hard's Agent Johnson (not the other one) as a mountainous boxer, Chattar Lal as Dhalsim and Miklo from 'Blood In, Blood Out' (which is apparently the favourite movie of the El Salvadoran MS-13 gang) as Ken. It has a bizarrely great cast.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lobok posted:

Oh ok, good. I'm glad it's just my mental deficiencies and not a problem with the show.

The helmet also deflects a gunshot from Frank - Matt meets with Potter who explicitly says Matt would probably be dead if not for the armor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

Seriously, though. What a bizarre career for Andrew Bryniarski. Chip Shreck, Zangief, Leatherface.

And Lobo!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Jenny Angel posted:

Josh Brolin's character in Sicario as well. Dude has such a strong presence just from his dress sense and posture that I spent his entire introductory scene marveling at his goofy flip flops

A choice so good it's highlighted in the sequel's trailer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They also bring back Jeffery Donovan's very interesting looking character.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, I got pretty jazzed when I saw Donovan's lame moustache over Brolin's shoulder in a shot.

I fully expect the sequel to be the thematic opposite of Sicario, but the trailer still sold me.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Bison is a great example because while Raul isn't the physical type of the video game character (for contrast, he simply *is* Gomez Addams who is basically a very handsome Peter Lorre), he adds something with his sallow, vampiric take on the character.

Put Brandon Routh as the Atom next to Ant Man and all you'll see is two white guys with brown hair that get their outfits at the same store. It's so bad and honestly looks like they don't give a poo poo, it's like they design the characters so that they only need one male body and one female body for the action figure molds.
i cant believe this stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyCXX9fb09I

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 18, 2018

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

LesterGroans posted:

Suicide Squad's character design is top-notch, and Captain Boomerang is one of my favourite examples of it.

Killer Croc, who is practically naked for a chunk of the movie, still has an evocative costume.

Killer Croc fights off accusations of cannibalism while sporting his trademark crocodile-skin coat :c00l:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Put Brandon Routh as the Atom next to Ant Man and all you'll see is two white guys with brown hair that get their outfits at the same store. It's so bad and honestly looks like they don't give a poo poo, it's like they design the characters so that they only need one male body and one female body for the action figure molds.

White people who get cast in certain roles all look pretty much the same. :v:

90% of comic book superheroes are tall muscular men with steely gazes and strong jaws, if you swapped their costumes you'd barely be able to tell the difference in most cases. The comics sometimes even take advantage of that fact and will have one superhero pose as another and they pretty much always pull it off without question. Batman and Superman have been repeatedly swapping costumes and fooling even their closest friends since the 40s.

So yeah, the screen versions of Ant Man and The Atom may be nigh indistinguishable which is dumb but that's also incredibly faithful to the source material which is also dumb. :v:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The point isn't "Hollywood white ppl look the same" it's that the point of costuming is conveying a character visually and Ant Man & Atom suggest essentially nothing besides, as u say , "fidelity" . Which in & of itself is what? A well done reference?

E: also I was just posting the clip because I don't keep up w/ the cw shows & looking it up/the first thing I find being that anticlimax presented as an epic moment was a classic "lol experience" 4 me.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 18, 2018

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Far left is Henry Cavill, the rest are Henry Cavill making silly faces. That's what silly faces look like when you're as handsome as noted handsome man, handsome Henry 'handsome' Cavill.

EDIT: gently caress. That's not even Henry Cavill.

EDIT: Or is it? Truly, my friends, Henry Cavill is an enigma.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 18, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I genuinely don't recognise any of those 5 guys

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What would a good Ant-Man costume look like?

Hat Thoughts posted:

The point isn't "Hollywood white ppl look the same" it's that the point of costuming is conveying a character visually and Ant Man & Atom suggest essentially nothing besides, as u say , "fidelity" . Which in & of itself is what? A well done reference?

E: also I was just posting the clip because I don't keep up w/ the cw shows & looking it up/the first thing I find being that anticlimax presented as an epic moment was a classic "lol experience" 4 me.

I think that CW clip was just in the ad and they used a different one in the show?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cythereal posted:

The helmet also deflects a gunshot from Frank - Matt meets with Potter who explicitly says Matt would probably be dead if not for the armor.

Ah right. That one I do remember.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah I don't know any of those cornballs but that's not the point.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Hat Thoughts posted:

The legends of tomorrow is a funny one, I'm sure it was meant more seriously to start with, with a bit of money spent on some ambitious for rubbish telly action scenes but then everyone just took the piss. So I think they just shrugged and went with it and now every episode is about how cack they all are. It seems to be a sort of holding pattern for all these characters/actors that they have on the books where team members for any given mission are selected wholly by the cheapness with which their special power can be visualised. Usually meaning their most powerful nuclear flying man stays back to dust the cockpit whilst everyone else goes and does some martial arts.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The legends of tomorrow is a funny one, I'm sure it was meant more seriously to start with, with a bit of money spent on some ambitious for rubbish telly action scenes but then everyone just took the piss. So I think they just shrugged and went with it and now every episode is about how cack they all are. It seems to be a sort of holding pattern for all these characters/actors that they have on the books where team members for any given mission are selected wholly by the cheapness with which their special power can be visualised. Usually meaning their most powerful nuclear flying man stays back to dust the cockpit whilst everyone else goes and does some martial arts.

I won't hear a word against The Adventures of Sara Lance: Time Lesbian

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've had trouble with the Street Fighter movie ever since I learned that M. Bison stands for Mike Bison, as that's the name of the boxer character in the Japanese version (the main bad guy is Vega). I'm ok with seeing it in the games still, but something about actually taking that goofy mix-up (caused by legal issues with putting a likeness of Tyson in the game) and seriously naming that villain M. Bison is just too hilarious to me now.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Street Fighter the Movie is great, especially the fact his name is Bison with a straight face. No one speaking English cares he's named after the star constellation "Vega" in Japanese.

Hell, contrast this with Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist, which doesn't even get the central metaphor it's trying to be faithful to. Failing at that, this attempt to be faithful is to a particular game in the series which had a very overt emphasis on "looking like a cartoon." So the double whammy of CW comic costumes for all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Michael Shannon would make a killer new M. Bison.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cythereal posted:

Yes, there's a few scenes in season two where if you pay attention knives deflect off the armor or don't penetrate.

If you watch the two seasons consecutively there's a real tonal shift in how in S1 Matt is always on the brink of dying from knife wounds and beatings and Claire is barely keeping him alive but after he puts on the DD armor he's way more durable and only really gets seriously hurt when he's out of the costume.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

NTRabbit posted:

Most of the male cast from American Horror Story: Hotel. The only two whose name I can remember are the last two. Max Greenfield and Wes Bentley.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the one on the left is the White Collar/Chuck guy?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Three TV shows I've never watched, so that'd be why

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

I think the one on the left is the White Collar/Chuck guy?

Far left is Matt Bomer, next to him is Cavill.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Timby posted:

Far left is Matt Bomer, next to him is Cavill.

I don't know if this is a joke or not but none of those dudes is Cavill.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Detective No. 27 posted:

If they bring back goblin for whatever they're gonna do with Spiderman, I think he'd be an awesome choice. Doom also.

Shannon makes a killer anything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

not trolled not crying posted:

I don't know if this is a joke or not but none of those dudes is Cavill.

On the other hand, every single one of them is Cavill. Cavill is clearly the Cavill-est Cavill but these guys are all only slightly less Cavill.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Michael Shannon should star in a Diabolik film.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Again, I love how everything always comes back to MoS/BvS in this thread. Its hilarious.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

These are pretty easy. You've got True Blood, first season 30 Rock, Cavill, Schmidt, and Sometimes There's So Much Beauty in the World I Feel Like I Can't Take It

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

So would Javier Bardeem but I think Bardeem would ham it up with some humor in it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

STAC Goat posted:

Again, I love how everything always comes back to MoS/BvS in this thread. Its hilarious.

Don't forget Joss and Zack's Billion Dollar Movie

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

Michael Shannon should star in a Diabolik film.

He'd make a better Kriminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

If they bring back goblin for whatever they're gonna do with Spiderman, I think he'd be an awesome choice. Doom also.

Shannon makes a killer anything.

Micheal Shannon feels like cheating.