Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How many multicrew players are we talking here? Do they want to fire turrets or fly fighters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

How many multicrew players are we talking here? Do they want to fire turrets or fly fighters?

2 friends, and I figured both on fighters.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Gort posted:

You could make the "realism" argument vanish if you wanted to. "Oh, the interdictor module has tech that compensates for that" is pretty easy to come up with.

It just seems weird to be punished for perfect play in this one situation only. Like, we don't have mining lasers that get damaged whenever you shoot a rock. Your shield generator doesn't degrade when the shield blocks a shot. Your scanner doesn't fall apart when you scan a star.
It’s because lore-wise the interdictor works by tethering your FSD to your target’s and then crashing them both simultaneously. As was mentioned previously, if you drop from supercruise at high speed you always take damage due to the Alcubierre bubble around your ship instantly collapsing. Combining the two means that you successfully crash both FSDs to return you to real space but also collapse the FSD bubble so both ships take damage.

This is the theoretical physics the Frameshift Drive operates under in case you want to read up more on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

I used to just submit and warp away all the time. Then I submitted to what must have been some kind of elite railgun sniper and got vapourised in about five seconds flat. Now I evade every time. I never play in the open 'cause whenever I do I get denied docking permission.

i read somewhere that its helps to keep boosting past your opponent until the FSD is ready to jump

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i read somewhere that its helps to keep boosting past your opponent until the FSD is ready to jump

Yeah, there's always the chance that your attacker outguns you so much that he can burn you down before the FSD finishes charging. You don't need to be pointing at the destination until the charging actually completes, so making yourself hard to hit before then is a good idea.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Holy poo poo I wasn't sold on the Chieftan before the stream but setting it in-game and flying :aaaaa:

Think that's the best sounding engine in the game :circlefap:

Also all these changes looking real good for 3.1, we'll see how the gently caress it up. The technology broker was a cool surprise, and trading entirely in-game might be a thing worth doing??

And pirating mega ships?! :black101:

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 18, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

TwoDice posted:

What's the best of the large ships (cutter / anaconda / corvette) right now for multicrew if I literally don't care about cost?

sorry to repeat myself but: the cutter is the fastest

it needs long-range weapons though, because if you boost past an enemy, you might be more than 3km away by the time you spin the ship around

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I didn’t get to see the stream yet but if pirating megaships is a bit like a randomly generated puzzle with high risk of space death I will probably play that until I die an earth death.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ya basically it's like the surface installations except you get more useful and tangible rewards and in general seems more fun.

Do I run in and try and grab poo poo and duck out, or do I disable things to prevent authority ships from showing up or getting torn up by turrets? They have simple data terminals you can hack and sell the data on black market to cargo hatches like a ship that you can use hatch breaker limpets on. There are dozens of intractable "modules" on then like installations or capital ships.

In the stream one cargo hatch (of 4 or 5 on the ship) had maybe 40 materials in it, I'm sure they'll gently caress it up somehow by making the rewards dog poo poo but if not it'll be really cool.

I think I also remember them saying off handedly that they will be improve surface installations with the new tech too but don't quote me on that.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like everything I saw.

And now I finally understand how to read the trade data splines. I was reading them as indicating "go this way to get thing", not "things are going this way"

EDDB was always easier than trying to figure out wtf I was doing wrong.

edit: VVVV totes mcgoats VVVV

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 18, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Chieftan looks loving sick!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Back to interdiction chat, I remember when they first introduced the player modules (and thus the minigame) in beta. Before that if an NPC wanted to interdict you, you were getting interdicted. End of story.

When the player module was introduced, and your target submitted, you would be right on the rear end of the other ship with no time to pull up or stop.

:frontear: at its finest (both ships would go boom though)

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
that sounds awesome.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Oh my god the engine sounds on that chieftain. Also, I love the cockpit seat configuration and the hard points layout. Extremely well made for fixed weapons and close quarters brawling.

When is this ship coming out.

Edit: fully rigged for combat it’s probably going to have a jump range like the FGS. Maybe D rated and made light it could hit 30ly I bet.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Are they doing another stream of this ship?

I kinda want one but we shall see. I'm a hair from CPO rank so I can buy a FAS if the Chieftan isn't what I'm hoping for.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Re: another stream of the Big Chief, I doubt it but the streams all get recorded.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm a little addicted to my engineered Anaconda with a size 4 burst laser, two large beams, and a bunch of multi cannons. With a fixed beam fighter it is hilarious overkill in REZ sites. The distributor will let me hold down the trigger until my ship spontaneously combusts. But I'm going to buy a chieftain anyways.

The tech broker is basically an engineer available at stations? Looks like it has unique loot you can turn in resources to acquire. Looks like it has an RPG element where newer better things become available based on what you unlock.

Edit: looks like a meta-alloy hull upgrade was accidentally leaked. There was also a new button in the galaxy map configuration for both thargoids and guardians. Looks like with the new commodity and (maybe modules?) galaxy map search, eddb.io is going to be less necessary to play this game.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 19, 2018

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So how much grind are they adding to the game with the tech broker? Or are they... like... holy poo poo... reducing grind for once?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Mercurius posted:

It’s because lore-wise the interdictor works by tethering your FSD to your target’s and then crashing them both simultaneously. As was mentioned previously, if you drop from supercruise at high speed you always take damage due to the Alcubierre bubble around your ship instantly collapsing. Combining the two means that you successfully crash both FSDs to return you to real space but also collapse the FSD bubble so both ships take damage.

This is the theoretical physics the Frameshift Drive operates under in case you want to read up more on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Everytime I try to understand the physics behind an Alcubierre Drive my brain melts a little.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Gonkish posted:

So how much grind are they adding to the game with the tech broker? Or are they... like... holy poo poo... reducing grind for once?

Won't know until the patch goes to live, but from the hotbuild in the video it looks like 30 of several kinds of materials. Or 10 drops of each.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://youtu.be/cGZ4GfR09uo

When the camera pans to the Chieftan at 12:38, the plates above and around the cockpit clearly looks like an open mouthed :frogout:. You're all very welcome.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I am ok with Elite Dangerous finally not playing like Frontier the 2014 Multiplayer Reboot.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, so does anyone have some info about scan missions?

I just got blown up because apparently pirate skimmers can call upon local superpower-defense forces which seems to be a bit weird.

So this mission was a simple repair job -land on planet x, go to a certain building, scan something then go back.

When I reached the target, there were some wanted skimmers flying around, trying to keep me away. So logically, since they're wanted skimmers, this should mean I should blow them up, right? So then of course I was a bit confused when the skimmers called in the police, and an Alliance-police Viper then blew me up.

Is that supposed to happen and just badly communicated, or did I run into a bug with the mission? :confused:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Libluini posted:

OK, so does anyone have some info about scan missions?

I just got blown up because apparently pirate skimmers can call upon local superpower-defense forces which seems to be a bit weird.

So this mission was a simple repair job -land on planet x, go to a certain building, scan something then go back.

When I reached the target, there were some wanted skimmers flying around, trying to keep me away. So logically, since they're wanted skimmers, this should mean I should blow them up, right? So then of course I was a bit confused when the skimmers called in the police, and an Alliance-police Viper then blew me up.

Is that supposed to happen and just badly communicated, or did I run into a bug with the mission? :confused:

It's normal. Wanted by one faction doesn't mean the police in general won't come in and destroy you for attacking them. Scan missions are a trap, if you do anything other than run in and scan what you are supposed to and then run away you will more than likely get wasted unless you carpet bomb the facility before you get close. Either way you're going to end up with a wanted flag in most cases.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

lemonadesweetheart posted:

It's normal. Wanted by one faction doesn't mean the police in general won't come in and destroy you for attacking them. Scan missions are a trap, if you do anything other than run in and scan what you are supposed to and then run away you will more than likely get wasted unless you carpet bomb the facility before you get close. Either way you're going to end up with a wanted flag in most cases.

So, I googled about this in the meantime, and apparently the ground bases for the scan missions are RNG-based, and some people suggested just avoiding the ones with private scan points (and defensive perimeters) until a building with a public scan point shows up.

Also, to clear something up, attacking the skimmers didn't give me a wanted-flag. I got no bounty and no fine for destroying the wanted skimmers. (well, I did get bounties, just not on my head) The Alliance-police of that system still attacked me. Doesn't that run counter to the entire bounty-system? I never got attacked by local police for attacking wanted ships. :confused:

I think I have to run this again to see if I can do this without shooting the skimmers. Edit: Another tip I got from Reddit talked about how you should dismiss your ship when things go south and enemy ships start bombing the poo poo out of your SRV. I'll try that if I fail again

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've been more interested in the Krait when that comes out than the Chieftain but those engines noises... quality.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Libluini posted:

So, I googled about this in the meantime, and apparently the ground bases for the scan missions are RNG-based, and some people suggested just avoiding the ones with private scan points (and defensive perimeters) until a building with a public scan point shows up.

Also, to clear something up, attacking the skimmers didn't give me a wanted-flag. I got no bounty and no fine for destroying the wanted skimmers. (well, I did get bounties, just not on my head) The Alliance-police of that system still attacked me. Doesn't that run counter to the entire bounty-system? I never got attacked by local police for attacking wanted ships. :confused:

I think I have to run this again to see if I can do this without shooting the skimmers. Edit: Another tip I got from Reddit talked about how you should dismiss your ship when things go south and enemy ships start bombing the poo poo out of your SRV. I'll try that if I fail again

If the skimmers are alliance (or whatever gov, for me it was fed) then shooting them will piss off the alliance regardless of the wanted status. I mean it could be a bug but I've had this happen myself and it seemed like the reason was because even though they were wanted they were still considered part of that faction. The whole mechanic is shite but the money for doing them is good.

You can scan private if you just run afterwards, wait out the timer and then jump to another system to get rid of the wanted. It's tedious.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

If the skimmers are alliance (or whatever gov, for me it was fed) then shooting them will piss off the alliance regardless of the wanted status. I mean it could be a bug but I've had this happen myself and it seemed like the reason was because even though they were wanted they were still considered part of that faction. The whole mechanic is shite but the money for doing them is good.

You can scan private if you just run afterwards, wait out the timer and then jump to another system to get rid of the wanted. It's tedious.

No, the skimmers were from some dumb no-name independent faction. Them being able to call upon Alliance-police was just pure nonsense -the faction who issued the mission was Alliance, though. That may be the reason the mission spawned an Alliance-Viper.

Edit:

Welp, first mission done! Fast in, fast out. Still got 400 creds of local bounty, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes.

So the mission was about me going to an Alliance-installation to collect data from some malfunctioning bit of equipment. What actually happened: The installation belonged to a completely different faction and scanning the "malfunctioning" equipment resulted in me hacking into this poor private citizen's thing, stealing some random data, then getting paid for it as if I didn't just gently caress up royally.

I can only conclude from this the Alliance just let me conduct some kind of BlackOps and all this talk about "helping to repair important Alliance-installations" was code-speak.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Just you wait for factions wanting you to liberate 2 tons of biowaste in the name of democracy.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

limaCAT posted:

Just you wait for factions wanting you to liberate 2 tons of biowaste in the name of democracy.

This poo poo just got unreal: From three missions, every scanned point updated a different, wrong mission as completed. First, I went to the cheapest mission and got the most expensive one in another system updated as well done, now I did the second and third on the same planet. Because again, the other mission in another system was flagged as completed! Luckily logging out and logging back in turned the inactive data point back to active, so I could complete the mission I actually came for on the second try!

Well, I'm not complaining, if the Alliance wants to pay me for this. :shepface:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What the hell are the 'clean out the skimmer' missions about? I haven't done one yet but they seem enticing.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
After the update, will the random engineering bonuses still exist (i.e., how I typically get a bunch of extra little weight reductions for my exploration ships)?

I haven't delved into the new system enough yet to know what engineered parts, if any, I should be hording in advance of the update.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 19, 2018

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

CornHolio posted:

What the hell are the 'clean out the skimmer' missions about? I haven't done one yet but they seem enticing.

You kill x floaty robots.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Are they still bugged where you can be tasked with killing X floaty robots, but only X-1 spawns, and no matter how many times you exit and come back, no more spawn? Happened to me a few months a go a couple times, and I just wrote them off.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Eldragon posted:

Are they still bugged where you can be tasked with killing X floaty robots, but only X-1 spawns, and no matter how many times you exit and come back, no more spawn? Happened to me a few months a go a couple times, and I just wrote them off.

I was turned off even trying them after how bullshit scan missions are :)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Eldragon posted:

That has happened to me enough times that I've sworn off surface missions forever. I even had two missions to the same base but it still spawned like 1 skimmer and a billion goliaths instead.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

With an SRV?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

CornHolio posted:

With an SRV?

Yes but I think you can probably kill them with a ship too if you do some messing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Yes but I think you can probably kill them with a ship too if you do some messing.

Yep, Much easier with a ship and dumfire rockets (Also more fun).

I'd be all about doing SRV kill missions if we could equip a larger SRV that's more like a tank than a moon rover.

Also, I'd glady pay 1,000,000 credits for a nuke torpedo so I could nuke a settlement from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

• Locked thread