Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hey, I finally ran my 1000th instance and can become a mentor if I want I don't think I actually want to become a mentor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Being a mentor is great. You get to argue with ice mages, try to stop people from ERPing in the channel, and get called an idiot if you suggest not taking Esuna to every boss.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Holyshoot posted:

i hope thats the o8s mount. gently caress making a pet be your hardest boss glamour drop.

I am putting money down that Magitek Deathclaw is from the new PvP mode. (O8S mount is Magus Sisters, obv)

Man, Gold Saucer shout chat is going to be salty as gently caress forever if they add a glamour contest GATE.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 18, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thundarr posted:

I am putting money down that Magitek Deathclaw is from the new PvP mode. (O8S mount it's Magus Sisters, obv)

Man, Gold Saucer shout chat is going to be salty as gently caress forever if they add a glamour contest GATE.

Why would you make me realize I want something that will never be :(

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Of course I stayed.

I rooted for Omega though.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kuvo posted:

it should automatically give you a failing grade if you show up in the Shisui gear

also no one has posted this cool new mount

the hand is carrying the lalafell to an incinerator

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

the hand is carrying the lalafell to an incinerator

Popotoes go in stew, duh

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

This is incredible.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Popotoes go in stew, duh

Boil them, mash them, stick them in a stew!

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Kuvo posted:

it should automatically give you a failing grade if you show up in the Shisui gear

This owns

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Why is that chocobo on the 4.2 page wearing people clothes

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Kuvo posted:

death grips

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Why is that chocobo on the 4.2 page wearing people clothes

Look, Alpha is a valued employee at Garlond Ironworks.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm just idling around in Quarrymill, checking WT and the PF for things to do, and humming along to the Final Fantasy prelude.

... wait a second. It's not ARR and i'm not on the main menu. Where is the music coming from?

:aaa:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HenryEx posted:

I'm just idling around in Quarrymill, checking WT and the PF for things to do, and humming along to the Final Fantasy prelude.

... wait a second. It's not ARR and i'm not on the main menu. Where is the music coming from?

:aaa:

Congrats on your golden pony and / or bird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Congrats on your golden pony and / or bird.

I assumed it was people playing it on the harp.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it was someone playing it on a harp, which i found out after running around and noticing it got louder and quieter. First time i've seen one.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Oh, well that works too. I keep forgetting perform exists until I walk by somebody who is randomly playing something.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Holyshoot posted:

i hope thats the o8s mount. gently caress making a pet be your hardest boss glamour drop.
That background looks like Azys Lla, it will be Fractal Continuum Hard drop.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TFRazorsaw posted:

Of course I stayed.

I rooted for Omega though.

<vibrates with anticipation>

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

That being said, I have to comment on some stuff.

Papalymo's death hit me harder than Haurchefant's, honestly. He and Yda are the first major characters I befriended in the game, and my attachment to them was/is greater. This is by no means saying that Haurchefant wasn't sad, or that I didn't feel anything, I just wonder if my emotional attachment to him is at odds with a lot of the popular opinion, and is perhaps the result of the localization toning his attraction to you down a bit and/or my having had him around for a few months as opposed to the years stretching between ARR and HW.

That being said, I will now rank the moments in HW that made me feel things in terms of how hard they hit me:

- Papalymo and Ysayle's deaths (two way tie)
- Haurchefant's death
- The kobold child's parents and Titan's summoning
- Estinien leaving flowers for Ysayle
- The final steps of faith, Ysayle and Haurchefant's spirits coming to our aid, and Nidhogg's demise
- Tiamat's story
- Yda revealing her true identity
- Minfilia's goodbye
- Urianger revealing his motivations re: the warriors of darkness (his VA really made this work)

For gently caress yeah and warm fuzzy feeling moments, in no particular order:

- Getting to kick Ilberd's rear end one more time
- Omega vs. Shinryu
- The moment when I realized that Primal actually was Shinryu and what was about to happen
- Raubahn and Nanamo's reunion
- Just. Getting to sit down and have a meal with Aymeric and just have a calm moment of celebration.
- The memory lane quest for Ishgard, showing how I'd improved everyone's lives, and that I'd actually made the world a better place.

Funniest moments:

- Alphinaud getting poo poo on at every opportunity by Krile
- Alphinaud's baby crush on Y'shtola and everything associated with it
- Getting Nero's loving reaper and using it on who I'm told is Garlean Team Rocket
- Yda/Lyse and the button
- Alphinaud vs. life (the whole expansion)

Stuff I didn't expect to find interesting but I did/lore stuff I find intriguing:

- Regula turned out to be a much more interesting character than my first impressions gave.
- The Void turning out to be one of the shards
- Just the whole "13 shards" in general stuff

Stuff I wish had been handled better:

- Minfilia deserved better

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

- Minfilia deserved better
She'll be back... maybe

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

homeless snail posted:

She'll be back... maybe

Pray, she must needs return to the dumpster where she belongs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like, you can have whatever opinion of her you want.

But a character who's been around as long as she has and who held such an important position needs a better sendoff than that, so I hope it's more permanent.

I'd be saying this if even if I thought she was the worst character in the game, which I don't.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Like, you can have whatever opinion of her you want.

But a character who's been around as long as she has and who held such an important position needs a better sendoff than that, so I hope it's more permanent.

I'd be saying this if even if I thought she was the worst character in the game, which I don't.

I mean she got a length cutscene where she ascended to godhood and went off to save another planet. As far as sendoffs go that's a drat sight better than a lot of people get.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

I mean she got a length cutscene where she ascended to godhood and went off to save another planet. As far as sendoffs go that's a drat sight better than a lot of people get.

It feels less like she's a god and more as Hydaelen's voicebox, and it happened in a very "let's get this over fast" way.

That being said, the first shard seems like rife material for a future expansion so I'mma give them the benefit of a doubt.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm of the opinion that its a long term plot hook that will culminate in meeting up with Minfillia and the Warriors of Darkness in the First and helping them out. Minfillia still has a place as Hydaelyn's representative which imo is not a bad place for her arc to end, considering her trajectory from 1.0 through HW, she always saw herself as a part of something bigger and now she's a part of the biggest thing there is.

IDK where such a plot arc would fit in though because it really has no bearing on anything we're doing. Maybe that'll be the 5.0 24-man raid.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I guess when I think about it my main issue is that we aren't dealing with Minfilia, we're dealing with Hydaelyn talking THROUGH Minfilia and I'm unsure of what's left of her in all that. Like, reducing an important female character to what is basically a mouthpiece is kind of a bad look, yanno?

Unless I misunderstood what was going on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

homeless snail posted:

I'm of the opinion that its a long term plot hook that will culminate in meeting up with Minfillia and the Warriors of Darkness in the First and helping them out. Minfillia still has a place as Hydaelyn's representative which imo is not a bad place for her arc to end, considering her trajectory from 1.0 through HW, she always saw herself as a part of something bigger and now she's a part of the biggest thing there is.

IDK where such a plot arc would fit in though because it really has no bearing on anything we're doing. Maybe that'll be the 5.0 24-man raid.

It’ll probably tie into the endgame with Zodiark. The overarching story seems to be suggesting reconciliation between light and darkness, and seeing the horrors of light first-hand would likely be pretty important to that. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hydaelyn-Minfillia ends up as a boss battle - Crystal Mom seems like a decent sort, but getting someone to let go of a grudge that old and that long is going to take some serious convincing. Hell, it could even be a double-battle with Zodiark-Elidibus, for maximum ‘holy poo poo all our peace efforts are going up in smoke what do we do’.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yda/Lyse and the button?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Phone posted:

Yda/Lyse and the button?

when they were activating Omega

Yda is like all "I'M AN IMPORTANT CHARACTER NOW CID WHAT BUTTON DO I PRESS"

and it turns out to be this single, huge, really obvious one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Oh right, I completely forgot that Omega wrecks house at the end of 3.x.

Good luck in Stormblood. :)

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Darth Walrus posted:

It’ll probably tie into the endgame with Zodiark. The overarching story seems to be suggesting reconciliation between light and darkness, and seeing the horrors of light first-hand would likely be pretty important to that. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Hydaelyn-Minfillia ends up as a boss battle - Crystal Mom seems like a decent sort, but getting someone to let go of a grudge that old and that long is going to take some serious convincing. Hell, it could even be a double-battle with Zodiark-Elidibus, for maximum ‘holy poo poo all our peace efforts are going up in smoke what do we do’.

Well see, if things went down like that, I'd just ride in on the back of fully regrown Midgardsormr at the head of a dragon legion screaming "gently caress all y'all its god killing time." Then the opening riff of Otherworld kicks in.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I guess when I think about it my main issue is that we aren't dealing with Minfilia, we're dealing with Hydaelyn talking THROUGH Minfilia and I'm unsure of what's left of her in all that. Like, reducing an important female character to what is basically a mouthpiece is kind of a bad look, yanno?

Unless I misunderstood what was going on.

Minfilia was a case of the writing team not being able to find a real role for her to fill post-2.X. She barely had anything resembling a personality through all of the base game and was mostly there to give out quests and be menaced repeatedly, so they made the decision to axe her with just enough sendoff to make her fate crystal clear. Her departure is a literal Poochy, "I must go; my planet needs me," bit, and for good reason.

It's frankly a miracle that they managed to salvage as many of the 2.X characters as they did. I cared about basically no one aside from Y'shtola after I completed 2.0's MSQ, but they've managed to grow them into a likeable bunch that I'm glad to have tagging along.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like I said, I would have been dissatisfied with this even if I disliked her. I don't like that kind of approach, even with bad, or allegedly bad characters.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Kuvo posted:

ugh, another mount I'll never get.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Bring on 4.2

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What's the opposite of an honest healer? Because I was doing guildhests since I had a bunch I still hadn't done and wanted to unlock Mentor Roulette, and ran into a CNJ that didn't cast a single heal.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I still feel like we didn't get to beat Illberd's rear end enough.

I never did that quest at the end of HW. I suppose I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

Arist posted:

What's the opposite of an honest healer? Because I was doing guildhests since I had a bunch I still hadn't done and wanted to unlock Mentor Roulette, and ran into a CNJ that didn't cast a single heal.

A good player.