Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Doom Mathematic posted:

I like that Wikipedia hates fun, because the alternative, a Wikipedia laden with "hilarious" "jokes", would probably be absolutely intolerable.

you're describing encyclopedia dramatica to a tee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

should have found the even older version that listed, under human casualties, “dignity”

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

the article on humans is probably one of my favorite examples of wikipedia deadpan

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I don't know if they still do this, but a few years back if you ran a 2 vCPU Oracle VM on a 16 core server they would try to make you license all 16 cores. They justified this by saying that the paravirtual drivers offloaded cycles from inside the VM to the hypervisor allowing you to have more performance than you were entitled to by running their software in a VM. gently caress Oracle.

not just the 16 cores on that server. all the cores in all the servers that it is possible to migrate the vm to run on.

the "upside" to this was that you could run as many oracle VMs as you wanted on your oracle-licensed virtualization cluster

this was a great way to guarantee endless growth in oracle licensing, because the marginal cost of a VM running oracle was $0, until you needed to add hosts to the cluster

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

honestly surprised Oracle hasn't tried to make moves for licensing based on percentage of revenue or dollar amount, whichever is greater

mysteriously, the licensing cost after discounts always hovers around a fixed % of operating profits, i wonder why that is

:q:

lol I've been accidentally forwarded internal sales spreadsheets from a few of the big tech companies like that and if you don't think their sales guys have a spreadsheet with your estimate gross/net revenue and current tech outlays and will be adjusting their pricing to squeeze every red cent they can out of you then you're fooling yourself

oracle is just better at it than most

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
deadpan is the only form of humor that works on wikipedia. dry, npov coverage of the absurd is far funnier than any joke a wikipedia editor might write intentionally

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

If its dogshit you know Larry has his hands all over it. That is the only "blessed" VM platform for Oracle DBs and they will threaten the poo poo out of you with legal and sales if you attempt to run their software on a different stack

oracle will let you run oracle on any platform you want, if you are willing to pay for it

they still support their in-memory database for vax. from the 1980s. i don't want to imagine how big those bills are.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Saturday saw a false missile alarm in Hawaii, today there was one in Japan

ngl kind of low-key nervous right now :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Plorkyeran posted:

deadpan is the only form of humor that works on wikipedia. dry, npov coverage of the absurd is far funnier than any joke a wikipedia editor might write intentionally

deadpan humor is the only good humor anyway i m o

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

isn't this the kind that skeleton keys are a bypass for
lol

kind of. a skeleton key is designed to get through the warding, which are the projections into the side of the keyway (the slot you stick the key in). there are some locks that operate by engaging warding at the back of the lock and all you have to do is hook that part to open the lock.

what he has pictured there is likely a key to a lever lock, which can also have a warded keyway but also needs the cuts in the key to be the proper heights to cause gates in the levers to line up properly so the bolt can slide.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

apparently they responded to the defects people found pretty quickly:

(the older locks are now on sale lol)

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

haveblue posted:

should have found the even older version that listed, under human casualties, “dignity”

Don't forget the 10,000 rounds of ammunition too~

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Details about two vulnerabilities in an adult-themed virtual reality (VR) application were available to the general public for five days before the vendor intervened and patched the security holes.

Research published by Digital Interruption, a UK-based cyber-security company, revealed that

nVR, a web-based service selling adult-themed VR applications, contained two vulnerabilities that would have allowed an attacker to download names, email addresses and device (PC) names for everyone with an account on the site or for people who purchased content using PayPal accounts.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

jerry seinfel posted:

minor thing but i noticed that whatsapp doesn't seem to actually hide message content on android lockscreen if you have that setup in the OS settings

android has an option to hide sensitive notification content which includes who sent you a message, message content, etc

i complained to whatsapp that it's literally the only app that does this and whatsapp just got back to me that it's a feature not a bug after instructing me how to disable notifications entirely

I'd consider it an Android design bug that the user doesn't have to explicitly set that themselves, nor is it available for all notifications for the app rather than per channel, but you should be able to long press the notification to enter notification settings, and set it per channel. I don't use WhatsApp so I don't know if they set a separate channel for each person/chat/whatever though.

If you can PM me more info, I'd appreciate it.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 18, 2018

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

jerry seinfel posted:

minor thing but i noticed that whatsapp doesn't seem to actually hide message content on android lockscreen if you have that setup in the OS settings

android has an option to hide sensitive notification content which includes who sent you a message, message content, etc

i complained to whatsapp that it's literally the only app that does this and whatsapp just got back to me that it's a feature not a bug after instructing me how to disable notifications entirely

android bad at security? someone stop the presses

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
someone is claiming a practical attack based on meltdown/spectre, with no details of course

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gently caress that noise all of intel's microcode patches for spectre cause random reboots so no it's speed/security/stability pick two

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress that noise all of intel's microcode patches for spectre cause random reboots so no it's speed/security/stability pick two
that must be why all the vendors pulled their microcode patches

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Someone found another string of Unicode that causes Apple products to lock up (and generally seems to cause most Unicode rendering libraries to choke or crash). EDIT: link removed due to intrusive/malicious ads.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 18, 2018

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Mr.Radar posted:

Someone found another string of Unicode that causes Apple products to lock up (and generally seems to cause most Unicode rendering libraries to choke or crash). You can find it here (:siren: warning: don't open if you're not okay with your browser crashing, even on non-Apple platforms :siren:).

i clicked on awful app and nothing happened :confused:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

crashed firefox and tried to open outlook, which also crashed :v:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr.Radar posted:

Someone found another string of Unicode that causes Apple products to lock up (and generally seems to cause most Unicode rendering libraries to choke or crash). You can find it here (:siren: warning: don't open if you're not okay with your browser crashing, even on non-Apple platforms :siren:).

phew boy this makes my browser really slow

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
not clicking that but apparently it also works on some internal component of the imessage automatic link preview generator so you can now ping of death iphones

e: actually that is a *different* ios bug that appears to be a buffer overflow (safe link)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 18, 2018

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Mr.Radar posted:

that link is peppered with ads and tried a drive-by download :\
no crash but view source didn't work

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

no details, claims of it being researched due to spectre/meltdown (so they saw those being released and in 2 weeks found new applicable attacks, did a comprehensive review, alerted companies, got pr ready, etc?), and no one's willing to back up the claims when asked about it:

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/954035036898160642

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

suffix posted:

that link is peppered with ads and tried a drive-by download :\
no crash but view source didn't work

Sorry, I only opened it in a browser with adblock. If I'd known about that I wouldn't have included that one. Apparently that's a mirror since the original post of it was taken down.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Not an IT or comp person at all, but a while ago at my workplace we got a company wide email that we got infected by a virus. The IT department told us to solve this by downloading Malwarebytes, running the trial version's software cleanup and then uninstalling it. The size of the company I work for couple hundred to low thousands employees and they're large enough to have multiple offices. Exactly how sketchy is this?

Arbitrary Coin fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 19, 2018

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
lol.

either you guys are a shitshow(this is what you are) or maybe your company is into some next level byod and beyondcorp stuff.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Not an IT or comp person at all, but a while ago at my workplace we got a company wide email that we got infected by a virus. The IT department told us to solve this by downloading Malwarebytes, running the trial version's software cleanup and then uninstalling it. The size of the company I work for couple hundred to low thousands employees and they're large enough to have multiple offices. Exactly how sketchy is this?

lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Arbitrary Coin posted:

lmao quit now.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Mr.Radar posted:

Someone found another string of Unicode that causes Apple products to lock up (and generally seems to cause most Unicode rendering libraries to choke or crash). EDIT: link removed due to intrusive/malicious ads.

lol curled this down in a putty instance and it freaked the heck out. nice

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Arbitrary Coin posted:

:rip:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arbitrary Coin posted:

serious question, was that email a resignation attempt

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

flakeloaf posted:

serious question, was that email a resignation attempt

Honestly not sure but earlier/ a few weeks after the Malwarebytes email we all got emails to immidietly change our comp passwords, that the wifi/network passwords have all changed and that the dude who sent the Malwarebytes solution email was "no longer with the company" with an effective date in the middle of the week.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Honestly not sure but earlier/ a few weeks after the Malwarebytes email we all got emails to immidietly change our comp passwords, that the wifi/network passwords have all changed and that the dude who sent the Malwarebytes solution email was "no longer with the company" with an effective date in the middle of the week.

lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arbitrary Coin posted:

oh god laffo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Nice company. For a clown to work at.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

well what else happened, don't keep us in suspense

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Exactly how sketchy is this?

it is enormously sketchy and also embarrassingly common, although admittedly i think it's less common for an it person to be the one making the suggestion; more often than not it's some higher-up who gets this brilliant idea and doesn't understand that something being free-ish for home/personal use doesn't mean you can just deploy it company-wide (on a related note i fought a lot over deploying winrar when i was in it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Nice company. For a clown to work at.

• Locked thread