Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Snowman_McK posted:

Being worse than the avengers movie would actually be an achievement.

The Avengers was so boring and ugly that I've never bothered to watch any of it's sequels, even though I love comic-book movies in general and many of the characters involved.

Justice League is a potentially striking and interesting film ineptly forced into being lame and banal. That at least gives it the edge over Avengers in terms of interest imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Black Bones posted:

The Avengers was so boring and ugly that I've never bothered to watch any of it's sequels, even though I love comic-book movies in general and many of the characters involved.

Justice League is a potentially striking and interesting film ineptly forced into being lame and banal. That at least gives it the edge over Avengers in terms of interest imo

Disagree. The shots are so inconsistent during scenes in JL, it's just a tonal and technical mess. And it's a constant reminder of something good hidden back there. While avengers does what it sets out to do and for better or worse set the standard for serialized movies.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
That's pretty much it. Avengers is exactly the movie it was intended to be sold exactly to the audience they wanted. JL failed everybody, and not just in the audience. It's the worse movie. Maybe it could have been the better movie, but that's not what actually happened.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It 100% was not, we saw shots of the scenes before the red grading got added and also there were the reports from special effects companies that they had to scramble because Whedon had totally changed the look of finalized scenes that Snyder had signed off on.

This is a good tweet by Larry Fong:

https://twitter.com/larryfong/status/832671892163043328

It's Zack Snyder doing color correction on his footage with his DP. It's from Justice League no less. So he got pretty far with his shoot if he's at that point. I imagine he was probably done shooting. Also all the footage from his trailers were really good with contrasts too (cool blues with warm golds).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He was in the middle of planning re-shoots and new scenes when his daughter died. He wasn't done.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, it's kind of like proposing Viggo Mortensen for something. Of course he'd do a great job, he's Viggo Mortensen.

Mortensen should play more bad guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8hzFFKCeGQ

He's so good! :allears:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jimbot posted:

It's Zack Snyder doing color correction on his footage with his DP. It's from Justice League no less. So he got pretty far with his shoot if he's at that point. I imagine he was probably done shooting. Also all the footage from his trailers were really good with contrasts too (cool blues with warm golds).

This hurts man.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Only the good die young (in postproduction).

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mortensen should play more bad guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8hzFFKCeGQ

He's so good! :allears:

Handsome too.

He's also a very accomplished poet.

Are we sure he isn't a romance novel hero who escaped into our world?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Training for Suicide Squad 2?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeHAk-aHWGY/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aw no Slipknot? :smith:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jimbot posted:

Sorry Fong, there are plenty of filters involved. Just cause you got lots of shiny buttons involved doesn't make it fundamentally different.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He had to head off already.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Timby posted:

He was in the middle of planning re-shoots and new scenes when his daughter died. He wasn't done.

Wasn't he forced into the new scenes when it was thought to be too dark? His original vision could all be on film.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, those touch ups and reshoots were asked by the suits and were for which Whedon was brought in the first place.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowman_McK posted:

Handsome too.

He's also a very accomplished poet.

Are we sure he isn't a romance novel hero who escaped into our world?

And swordsman, based on that knife parry. Viggowns

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Yeah, those touch ups and reshoots were asked by the suits and were for which Whedon was brought in the first place.

The first minute is one of the worst openings I've ever experienced and it's never paid off. Let's act like that movie never existed, too much pain there.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It would seriously be great if they brought him back just to kill him off Kenny-style, and then in the third movie the twist ending is he's the only one left standing.

josh04 posted:

Sorry Fong, there are plenty of filters involved. Just cause you got lots of shiny buttons involved doesn't make it fundamentally different.

Fong comes from that old school of cinematography where a "filter" is literally something you mount on a lens so that you get the look of a shot in camera. 'Filter' as a term for digital intermediate work is an appropriation of pop culture fanatics. You very rarely hear or read the terms 'filter' or 'filtering' in professional digital intermediate work because it doesn't accurately describe most of the technical process. To filter literally means passing something through a device to remove unwanted material, which is what happens when you, say, add a color filter to the lens of a camera. The point is that the image you get from using that filter (in conjunction with other formal decisions) has already excluded something, the film negative now is what it is, there's no going back and undoing it. Even with digital filmmaking, in film schools one is often trained to not to use in-camera filters when just learning, because you don't want to get yourself into a situation where, in digital intermediate, you want to be able to have latitude with the image/restore something that you filtered out, but you can't because there's nothing to restore.

Digital intermediate work is itself not filtering, or rarely is. You may be adjusting levels of brightness or color or contrast that are in the film image, but you are fundamentally not removing anything. Even if you were to do something completely stupid (like, say, give an entire scene a red-orange hue, completely reversing a dark-blue color palette in which it was original shot/processed in digital intermediate), there's no filtering going on here. You can't get rid of the dark blue, that's just gonna be ugly, you still need that fundamental red-green-blue spectrum to present the spectator with something that's naturalistic enough. You are adjusting levels, not filtering out. Furthermore, in conjunction with other professional digital work, you can add formal elements to an image, but this is, again, not filtering. At that point, it's literally the opposite of filtering.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
K. W, I don't want bother you sir but, BvS had dark tone. And this dark tone didn't work in Superman character.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

KVeezy3 posted:

K. W, I don't want bother you sir but, BvS had dark tone. And this dark tone didn't work in Superman character.

How, specifically?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

How, specifically?

he's making a joke based on the twitter thread attached to Fong's post. settle down, BotL.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Dark tone only works for dark superheroes like Blade, Hancock etc.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The popular use a la Snapchat is actually from signal and image processing, where you understand many common operations performed as part of digital grading and compositing (blurs, sharpens, median passes) as signal filters.

I'd guess professional graders would want to avoid the confusion when referring to a red tinted filter, but you can't really understand a Gaussian filter or Laplacian filter outside of a digital imaging context.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

josh04 posted:

The popular use a la Snapchat is actually from signal and image processing, where you understand many common operations performed as part of digital grading and compositing (blurs, sharpens, median passes) as signal filters.

I'd guess professional graders would want to avoid the confusion when referring to a red tinted filter, but you can't really understand a Gaussian filter or Laplacian filter outside of a digital imaging context.

Again, though, in digital intermediate you wouldn't refer to it as a filter, because that's not an accurate description of the technical process. Those are effects. You are not filtering anything out of the image, you are adding compositional elements.

So, for reference, when I handed off the feature I was editing a couple months ago to the D.P. to do some color correction work in Adobe Premiere Pro. Most of her work involved first desaturating the image of color, and then adjusting color and contrast levels. In order to do this, she did not use any 'filters.' Rather, she created a separate track in the editing timeline where she applied an adjustment layer, to which she then added the necessary color and contrast effects.

You are correct that there is a popular basis for referring to filters as being involved in signal and image processing, specifically for file-sharing and social networking and also just faffing about. But this is why Fong insists upon "stop using the term 'filter.'" The digital processes used for something like Snapchat are analogous, but not an accurate reproduction of professional filmmaking. Filtering is something you do in camera or in photo-chemical processing. What Snyder is doing in that image is not filtering. He is not removing anything, he's adjusting the levels of elements that are already intrinsic to the media source, and also adding to them.

And, of course, KVeezy3 offers the obvious joke, cribbed from the same twitter thread: The misapprehension of the cinematic techniques used to give Snyder's films the look that they have is rooted in an uncritical opposition to superficial content. The 'tone' is dark, therefore Snyder must be 'filtering' out something that was intrinsic to the image, then all we need to do is "restore" the original image so we can see what Man of Steel would have looked like in color. (Punchline: Nothing has been restored, and it looks like poo poo.)

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
The Last Jedi was poo poo, so I'm looking for a good epic space opera to remedy this. Should I watch Valerian?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

GoldenGun posted:

The Last Jedi was poo poo, so I'm looking for a good epic space opera to remedy this. Should I watch Valerian?

YES

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I'm not coming at this from an underappreciation of cinematic imaging techniques. I know what Larry Fong is saying and why he's saying it. I just think he's being a grody old cinema dinosaur who probably still wishes it was called "colour timing" and dailies weren't available till the next day. There's no meaningful difference between the saturation matrix your DP is using in Premiere and the one Snapchat is applying to my sunset*. Digital imaging won the day over film, and the digital imaging use of "filter" for any image manipulation is here to stay.

* (In reality at least one of the two is probably implemented wrong because programmers really suck at implementing matrix operations accurately.)

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine

Cool

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

GoldenGun posted:

Once you're done with that, I found a very sexy Kylo Ren / Valerian erotic fan fiction that really compliments both sets of source materials.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

josh04 posted:

I just think he's being a grody old cinema dinosaur who probably still wishes it was called "colour timing" and dailies weren't available till the next day. There's no meaningful difference between the saturation matrix your DP is using in Premiere and the one Snapchat is applying to my sunset*. Digital imaging won the day over film, and the digital imaging use of "filter" for any image manipulation is here to stay.

I mean, that's not accurate either. Even with something like Snapchat, "filter" does not refer to "any image manipulation," it refers to a system of basic presets. Even in that most basic and popular context of digital imaging, you can do all sorts of manipulation that you would not describe as filtering.

The point is that the ascendency of digital imaging has not in fact resulted at a professional level in classifying all image manipulation under the umbrella of filtering. Words have meaning, and context is key. Fong is not being a dinosaur by saying, "I am literally in the room with the guy who I've worked with before and telling you what he is doing and what he is not doing." He is not speaking to society in general or poo-pooing Snapchat or whatever. He's mocking a very specific subset of individuals who have no critical interest in filmmaking, and who conflate all image adjustment with 'filtering,' even though there is in fact no context in which that terminology is applicable to all image adjustment in general, much less to Snyder's work specifically. As he emphasizes, Snyder has not chosen a 'preset' - he is methodically editing each shot in a sequence. This is analogous, in some sense, to what any non-professional could do with photo and video editing. But the critical point still remains that in neither case does this constitute using a "filter." A filter is something specific, even in Snapchat, it is not all filtering.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

There are some effects in Snapchat, like dog-face or whatever, which I would raise an eyebrow at calling filtering an image.

Beyond that, I'd be comfortable at referring to any process which goes from a single image in (with masks) to a single image out, as a filter (you might for the sake of confusion avoid calling a LUT application or a colour space transform a filter, because they relate to the encoding of the image data rather than subsequent manipulation of it).

Again, I do understand what Larry Fong is saying about the distinction between a naive understanding of colour grading ("oh you just slapped a filter on that!") and the actual labour involved. I just think Larry Fong is wrong: The majority of operations performed in a colour grading suite are properly understood as digital imaging filters, and while they're more robust and configurable than their consumer cousins, they are fundamentally the same thing.

The belligerents who accuse Zack Snyder of slapping a filter on everything don't understand the process of professional colour grading, but they aren't wrong in thinking it's a process of filters. Fong's distinction here, highlighting that the work is done shot-by-shot, is akin to claiming that because you cooked each loaf separately, one at a time, you have nothing in common with the Subway bread oven.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GoldenGun posted:

Valerian whips rear end.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

josh04 posted:

The belligerents who accuse Zack Snyder of slapping a filter on everything don't understand the process of professional colour grading, but they aren't wrong in thinking it's a process of filters. Fong's distinction here, highlighting that the work is done shot-by-shot, is akin to claiming that because you cooked each loaf separately, one at a time, you have nothing in common with the Subway bread oven.

Nowhere does he say they have nothing in common. He's saying there's an important difference: color adjustment in film is shot by shot, not some universal "Zack Snyder" config.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GoldenGun posted:

No. You should watch TLJ until you like it!!!!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

No. You should watch TLJ until you like it!!!!

This but unironically. Valerian ain't gonna save you from clunky writing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That reminds me that the practical effect Sleestaks in the LOTL movie looked cool and would have scared me as a kid.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

K. Waste posted:

he's making a joke based on the twitter thread attached to Fong's post. settle down, BotL.

Oh :blush:

GoldenGun posted:

You should, but with the knowledge that the rest of it is not going to be as amazing as the opening scene.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 19, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That reminds me that the practical effect Sleestaks in the LOTL movie looked cool and would have scared me as a kid.

That movie is almost good. But the comedy kind of kills it a bit. Some of it works though.

The production design is off the charts.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

I love this. These are our heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I love this. These are our heroes.

I can't believe there are people who watched this and still think that "unlikeable" characters matter.