Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

GPUs are getting slaughtered by Bitcoin miners. I cannot wait until that Ponzi scheme crashes.

it never will

its a cult now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

it never will

its a cult now

The majority of the Bitcoin market gains are driven by a handfull of people, and there is strong evidence they are connected to exchanges and tethering services. It'll crash, and they'll know before hand.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Is it still possible for someone to abscond with like a billion dollars worth of coins without a trace?

Because the next time that happens I have a feeling it might scare off a pretty decent chunk of the userbase.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ExplodingSims posted:

Is it still possible for someone to abscond with like a billion dollars worth of coins without a trace?

Because the next time that happens I have a feeling it might scare off a pretty decent chunk of the userbase.

They are not going to abscond with the coins. They are going to abscond with USD.

https://youtu.be/XpvmRJZDfoE

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I forgot I had set up a coinbase account way back when and I got an email telling me they had deposited $10 "worth" of bitcoin into my account because I had signed up with a referral link I guess and the referrer finally had enough transactions to justify the referral bonus. Turns out I had also purchased like $5 worth of ethereum back in like July on a whim, which is "worth" something like $100 now? IDK and the transaction fees to actually withdraw it are enormous, so I used all of my ethereum and bitcoin to buy 20,000 Telcoin because that's a new thing and they're trading for less than a penny.

See you all in ten years when I'm a loving millionaire or homeless, shitlords.

Bitcoin and all cryptocurrency bullshit is a scam. One single person (the owner of mtgox) drove bitcoin from $50 to over $1,000 by manipulating the market and covering his rear end for making trades with no actual securities, and he's faced zero prosecution because, again, bitcoin is a scam. It's all bullshit burn it down.

Today, the windshield on the crown vic that has been cracked since August finally broke through. Cracked from lower passenger corner all the way up to the rearview mirror, and I noticed actual movement on the mirror when driving over even small bumps, or hitting high-pressure air like on the freeway. Even though I have glass coverage through USAA, I just started that insurance plan literally last week and I didn't want to make a claim so early, so I paid Safelite their $150 for a new windshield. Fuckers left a lot of black urethane residue all over random spots of the windshield itself, and sitting there for an hour watching them off-and-on while waiting, they were clearly training two new people and also loving around a lot. Luckily they were so slapdash that they left a retractable razor scraper in my cupholder, though, so that took care of the urethane spots and also free scraper :whatup:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Glad you're back MGS.

A friend of mine just bought a 1992 Mazda MX6 turbo and it sounds sooooo good. Jerk paid $300 for it too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

ExplodingSims posted:

Like I said, it's not somewhere I want to spend the rest of my life, but hey, a year of rent-free living in a house that I'll basically have to myself? Kinda hard to turn that down.
Yeah it is.

Also Reno is gonna get snow tonight and tomorrow's commute is gonna be entertaining.

Coworker and I were supposed to head to Tahoe to deliver some computers. It might get pushed back...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Glad you're back MGS.

A friend of mine just bought a 1992 Mazda MX6 turbo and it sounds sooooo good. Jerk paid $300 for it too.

Yep, welcome back MGS.

God drat, I'd love to have another MX6 GT. My '89 was one of the most fun cars I've ever had. Tweak the boost until it's at the threshold of boost cut and those things are surprisingly fast, and just damned fun.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's rust free, been sitting in his grandmother's garage for 16 years untouched. Tires are dry rotted but he was out in the snow on them and having a blast. He's gonna do the full fluid and rubber refresh shortly and I am insanely jealous.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Back in 2011, around the time buttcoins were worth $34, I had three of them in a wallet on a hdd. I gave up on crypto back then because everything seemed like a huge scam and the payout was laughable.

Six years later I still have 2.997ish btc, and watched my $102 worth of butts turn into about $75k (CAD) worth of butt 1s and 0s, and then into $45k worth of butt 1s and 0s. Six years later it is still hilariously impossible to cash out without taking a massive haircut and putting all of your trust in an entity that can close up shop and rename itself something else with the press of a button. Nothing has changed except people are willing to pay more for 1s and 0s that are actually illiquid as gently caress.

E: As far as I care they're worthless until I can cash them out without having to pay more than the 22% capital gains or give my loving passport number to a cryptocurrency monger.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 19, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Doesn’t that just poo poo you... been saving up for a while to upgrade the graphics card in my pc (currently it’s an i7 2600k that I won the silicone lottery on cos it happily sits on 4.2ghz all day every day with a gtx 770 in it- in 3Dmark it gets pretty much 50% of the performance of my mates brand new rizen 5 build with a 1070 in it) and wanted to drop a 1080 in only to find out that the crypto currency tards have caused a global shortage of high end graphics cards. 1080s, which were already overpriced in AU vs the US went from $800 to $1800 overnight and then out of stock.

Guess I’ll go sink the graphics card money into something on the 4wd instead and wait for the arse to fall out of buttcoin and etherium....

A month Ago I bought founders edition nvidia 1070 for $399 each like a dozen from Best Buy online you don’t need 1080

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I will buy your 2.997 buttcoins hard drive for two hundred dollarydoos.

For my birthday last year I got an Asus 1070 and it is pretty badass compared to the 970 I was running.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CommieGIR posted:

The majority of the Bitcoin market gains are driven by a handfull of people, and there is strong evidence they are connected to exchanges and tethering services. It'll crash, and they'll know before hand.

The problem regarding video cards is altcoins are coming out now with mining algorithms that reduce the effectiveness of FPGA and ASIC miners, which are what crashed the bitcoin video card mining party in 2012/13. So GPU price inflation is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm going to sit on them until a more legitimate financial organization starts exchanging it for cash or, which is far more likely, they end up worthless.

On the other hand, I'm selling a rather beat up Lenovo Thinkpad x230 for $45k.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
At work we have a ton of guys from Denmark installing new equipment. They have the best pants ever, and I finally found them online.

https://www.maworkwear.com/workwear/atlanta-craftsmen-pants

I am in love with these pants. That is all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Finally got around to registering for the Zip Tie Drags this Saturday. Assuming the ugly truckling they're building shows up, it should be drat fun.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

IOwnCalculus posted:

Finally got around to registering for the Zip Tie Drags this Saturday. Assuming the ugly truckling they're building shows up, it should be drat fun.

Seeing the insta photos of that thing, I keep thinking "ITS GOING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!"

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I feel like I'm needed somewh...

Wrar posted:

Sometimes you need bottom men too.

Oh.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Dannywilson posted:

Seeing the insta photos of that thing, I keep thinking "ITS GOING IN THE WRONG DIRECTION!"

mike&dave finally embracing fwd as the one true way

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My brother had three teeth pulled on Monday, got twenty oxycodone for pain. In the past four days he's only taken four of them and today he brought the bottle to my dad and asked him to flush them down the toilet. So he throws them out instead and I suggest we stash 4 of them just in case anyone else but him gets some pain and could use it. A few hours later I felt a little fishy so I took a look and they're generic aspirin. 38 years old and still trying to play us.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

At work we have a ton of guys from Denmark installing new equipment. They have the best pants ever, and I finally found them online.

Haha. They're just work pants? Want me to procure you a pair?

Cage posted:

My brother had three teeth pulled on Monday, got twenty oxycodone for pain. In the past four days he's only taken four of them and today he brought the bottle to my dad and asked him to flush them down the toilet. So he throws them out instead and I suggest we stash 4 of them just in case anyone else but him gets some pain and could use it. A few hours later I felt a little fishy so I took a look and they're generic aspirin. 38 years old and still trying to play us.

That's the druggie brother, right?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

bolind posted:

That's the druggie brother, right?
Aye. Best hope is he sold them for money.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cage posted:

Aye. Best hope is he sold them for money.

Why have you not cut that rear end in a top hat from your life? Every time you bring him up, he's done some other lovely thing. You don't need that poo poo in your life. How much does he owe you now?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Raluek posted:

Why have you not cut that rear end in a top hat from your life? Every time you bring him up, he's done some other lovely thing. You don't need that poo poo in your life. How much does he owe you now?

I'm gonna wager a guess.

He's family. And cutting out family is a hard thing to do.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

everdave posted:

A month Ago I bought founders edition nvidia 1070 for $399 each like a dozen from Best Buy online you don’t need 1080

1070 FTW2 has an aus newegg list price of $1399 and is out of stock....

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Got a duffel bag packed with clothes, grooming stuff (soap, shampoo, etc), camera, weed, pipe, condoms, and a few other random things. Leaving for Austin in about 10 hours. Weather looks pretty drat nice for the weekend, just wish I could make it a full week instead of 4 days. Have a friend dropping by to feed and stroke my Dude while I'm gone.

Rhyno, any tips for maximum carpet burns? :v:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Ferremit posted:

Enjoy! We’re on day 3 of 40+ here in Adelaide and then on the weekend it’s only dropping to 30ish...

We very rarely get above mid 30's here in the Blue Mountains and I think it'll be one of the few things I miss when I leave in a couple of months. I relocated to the downstairs bedroom a few weeks ago and I've not had a single uncomfortable night since. I reckon there's a solid 10 degree (C) difference between upstairs and down.

Tonight it's a glorious evening, I've got the hibachi cranking, meat chilling down and a beer cracked. I'm burgin' out hard.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Got a duffel bag packed with clothes, grooming stuff (soap, shampoo, etc), camera, weed, pipe, condoms, and a few other random things. Leaving for Austin in about 10 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQGYus

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Fermented Tinal posted:

Back in 2011, around the time buttcoins were worth $34, I had three of them in a wallet on a hdd. I gave up on crypto back then because everything seemed like a huge scam and the payout was laughable.

Six years later I still have 2.997ish btc, and watched my $102 worth of butts turn into about $75k (CAD) worth of butt 1s and 0s, and then into $45k worth of butt 1s and 0s. Six years later it is still hilariously impossible to cash out without taking a massive haircut and putting all of your trust in an entity that can close up shop and rename itself something else with the press of a button. Nothing has changed except people are willing to pay more for 1s and 0s that are actually illiquid as gently caress.

E: As far as I care they're worthless until I can cash them out without having to pay more than the 22% capital gains or give my loving passport number to a cryptocurrency monger.

I've seen weird idiots saying they will accept bitcoins as payment for cars and things in my recent time browsing gumtree. (Australian craigslist like) I bet you would have a non-nil response rate on people willing to trade it for goods with a slightly more solid value if you're willing to filter through a whole bunch of crap, and increase your own collection "investments."

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

bolind posted:

Haha. They're just work pants? Want me to procure you a pair?

Nah, we actually have access in the US, they're just expensive.

I think it's more the fact that they have the built in tool pouches on the pockets. Just so handy and efficient.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Those little pockets end up containing so much dusty crap it's unreal.

Though maybe I should've washed mine more often??

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

STRs doppelganger was behind me in the security line at the airport this morning

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jesus, buying my $1080ti for 940 :canada: funbux around Christmas was probably a good idea I guess?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna wager a guess.

If you can be geographically discreet it's actually not _too_ difficult. If you're within a couple hours drive it's much more problematic.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I paid $400 for a 1070 around Black Friday and I thought I paid too much then.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I had a dream in which I impulse purchased a 1980's 7 series BMW so I could visit my parents in the snow. In the dream the guy said "You aren't going to drive this long distances are you?" and when I said about 140 miles he seemed concerned but I bought it anyway.

Today I looked on autotrader and whilst it's a 90's model I found this which is exactly what it was in my dreams yet my partner won't let me get it for some reason?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I'm gonna wager a guess.

It's certainly not easy, it just comes down to how much you're willing to tolerate and how much of an actual relationship you have with that person. Just because they're family doesn't mean you're obligated to tolerate their bullshit.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Siochain posted:

I will argue this until I expire. Find a good local shop (they exist, I used to manage one). Yes, you will pay a bit more than off-the-shelf walmart, but a good place builds with quality OEM parts. You know how Apple people are all like "MY MAC IS 10 YEARS OLD AND STILL WORKS LOL YOUR WINDOWS PCS LAST A YEAR" - that's because people buy poo poo-tier quality pre-built crap. If you step up to the business-class builds, sure, usually solid. But the extra little bit spent on a baseline system from a quality independent gets you a system that's easy to replace parts for - nothings proprietary. Decent power supplies lead to systems lasting a lot longer. There is a staggering quality difference for a not-overly-large price difference. Warranties are usually way better as well. Our stuff was one year full, and then after that, if the part still had warranty (say for example the motherboard - ASUS boards have 3-year MFG warranties) we'd do the work for labor cost and handle that warranty claim.

And you don't need to wipe Windows/reinstall/waste hours removing bullshit crap.

Albeit in this specific case almost anything sounds like it would have been better.

The bolded bit is the rub. I'm not willing to put in the trial and error to find such a thing, not for certain purposes. I can build my own, if it comes to that, though I'm so out of the loop on current/decent hardware it's ridiculous. Thankfully, we have a thread for that.

And you are correct on the why Macs keep going thing. Apple generally uses quality components. So much so that they basically have to start excluding machines from OS upgrades to get some of us to buy a new(er) one. My most recent Mac is a 2013, and I'm still pretty happy with it (needs more RAM.) Other than normal stuff like failed mechanical HDDs, the damned things just keep going. That said, I have a bunch of older HP business-class PCs that were castoffs from work as well, and they're pretty hardy, too. It's the consumer stuff that's poop.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

If it had an upgrade done via the official path, then reinstalling 10 on it won't require a key. UEFI machines store it on the board, and it should pick up on the old Windows 8 key. But I did notice this was installed in Legacy mode instead of UEFI, so I'll probably do a reinstall when the SSD arrives. If it wasn't upgraded to 10 via the official "gently caress you, download Windows 10" popup in 8.1, meh, I have a key I'm not using.

And yeah, don't need OEM media for an OEM key. Microsoft even offers tools to make bootable media and an ISO from their website now... no more searching sketchy :filez: sites to find a working ISO.

Oh, yeah, the Windows Media Creation Tool is handy. Download ISOs and makes bootable installer thumb drives. And can have 32 and 64-bit both (though why they even still make Win10 in 32-bit I don't know...)
As far as the Win10 license, I thought MS stores that on their activation server?

quote:

He did ask about an HP i7 at Micro Center, but I'm not a fan of HP consumer level stuff - it was pretty much an entry level i7 for quite a bit more - it was also open box, so probably no warranty. At least the Lenovo has a standard case and relatively standard components (oddball motherboard, but it looks like any micro ATX board will drop in). Maybe the HP would have been a better deal though. :sigh:

Eh, HP was what we got the mother-in-law. It'll do for her for quite some time. Standard components besides the motherboard and probably case/power supply, but that's normal for consumer prebuilds.

I didn't go used or whatever because 1) I'm the tech support and 2) this was to also be used for her business at the time.
I'm going to miss all the e-waste PCs from my previous job... May actually have to *buy* a PC/Mac in a few years.

CommieGIR posted:

They are actually pretty neat. I wanted something like a tablet, but with full Windows so I could run Network Diagnostics tools. I bought the $79 one and I've been thoroughly impressed, not a powerhouse by any standard, but puts any netbooks I've ever used to shame.

That tablet is pretty neat.

ExplodingSims posted:

We've got top men working on it right now.

Who?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdjf4lMmiiI

So, be sure to post your route so all the goons along the way can cheer/offer aid/comfort/food/beer.

iwentdoodie posted:

Gotta say, those are pretty swank.
I've admired Mastermilo's similar work pants for a while. They seem appropriately heavy-duty.

mariooncrack posted:

I paid $400 for a 1070 around Black Friday and I thought I paid too much then.

I bought an Xbox One for $189 so I wouldn't have to deal with that merry-go-round. I do not regret it. Actually, I bought an Xbox 360 way back in the day for that reason, then upgraded when the One came out. Even buying two 360s (first one was an original red-ring-happy version) and the One I'm still ahead.
I still play some games on my iMac running Windows

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Those little pockets end up containing so much dusty crap it's unreal.

Though maybe I should've washed mine more often??

I just want a single pair for when I'm working on a car by myself. So handy to have all that poo poo there, and it's not bulky.

Is anyone here in the printing industry? After the poo poo with STR I'm not being any more specific than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

freelop posted:

I had a dream in which I impulse purchased a 1980's 7 series BMW so I could visit my parents in the snow. In the dream the guy said "You aren't going to drive this long distances are you?" and when I said about 140 miles he seemed concerned but I bought it anyway.

Today I looked on autotrader and whilst it's a 90's model I found this which is exactly what it was in my dreams yet my partner won't let me get it for some reason?

It is meant to be. You know what must be done.

• Locked thread