Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Nice company. For a clown to work at.

true story: one of my clients back in the day was a literal clown college

they weren't the worst shitshow of clients i had by a longshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress that noise all of intel's microcode patches for spectre cause random reboots so no it's speed/security/stability pick two

aren't the microcode updates needed to be secure? so it's more like speed/security/stability pick one

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ymgve posted:

aren't the microcode updates needed to be secure? so it's more like speed/security/stability pick one

Replace hardware should be an option.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

lmao i administer a website ont he side for a local nonprofit since they have no idea what they're doing

the site's throwing an ssl error for some reason so i contacted their tech support since thye provide the cert. they had an existing domain and i basically did some updated and make sure it's not on fire for a tiny bit of money per month.
code:
Hello jerry, My name is BadHosting and I am happy to help you. 

Let me check the issue . Before that could I get the last 4 characters of the main password to verify ownership of the account? 

Thank you for validating. 
so uh guess im gonna convince these guys to let me pick the hosting provider

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jerry seinfel posted:

lmao i administer a website ont he side for a local nonprofit since they have no idea what they're doing

the site's throwing an ssl error for some reason so i contacted their tech support since thye provide the cert. they had an existing domain and i basically did some updated and make sure it's not on fire for a tiny bit of money per month.
code:
Hello jerry, My name is BadHosting and I am happy to help you. 

Let me check the issue . Before that could I get the last 4 characters of the main password to verify ownership of the account? 

Thank you for validating. 
so uh guess im gonna convince these guys to let me pick the hosting provider

lol completely unironically they should probably be on a squarespace type thing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I love getting questions from endusers on why MalwareByte is detecting so much "Fileless Malware" that other solutions do not. It's always just orphaned registry keys that are doing nothing. gently caress that lovely program.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I love getting questions from endusers on why MalwareByte is detecting so much "Fileless Malware" that other solutions do not. It's always just orphaned registry keys that are doing nothing. gently caress that lovely program.

"this program is finding viruses that my mcafee didn't, it must be the best"

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

is there any consensus in this thread on how boned systems that aren't going to get microcode updates for spectre and meltdown are?

is it only a matter of time before exploits appear? or is it possible that software patches alone can secure them?

we're in a funny time where a 6 year old machine can actually be just fine for a lot of people, it'll be a shame if they all have to be trashed.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Father Jack posted:

is there any consensus in this thread on how boned systems that aren't going to get microcode updates for spectre and meltdown are?

is it only a matter of time before exploits appear? or is it possible that software patches alone can secure them?

we're in a funny time where a 6 year old machine can actually be just fine for a lot of people, it'll be a shame if they all have to be trashed.

i wouldn't use those systems for anything important, and i think that a year is a very generous window for "real" hacks to appear

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they're right next to the rowhammer in-the-wild attacks

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they're right next to the rowhammer in-the-wild attacks

hammered by chinese

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

as usual with this kind of poo poo you need to fall back on defence-in-depth and layered mitigation. isolate systems with large surface area to mitigate lateral movement, implement a solid RBAC systems to mitigate privilege elevation and just be smart about poo poo. with the vulnerabilities worst case is your server is popped so plan for that and mitigate accordingly.

honestly this poo poo isnt the end of the world. it's a large concern, but it isn't game over.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

i'm thinking more about home users with an older laptop/desktop running w10 and getting patches as they come out.

is it probable they're going to need to upgrade just for this? or is it more likely to remain a thoeretical threat that never becomes a big thing?

i guess if you can pop a whole bunch of people with lower hanging fruit why bother with something more complex, but it's still unnerving.

everything of mine is flashed and patched except my ancient htpc. i was planning to upgrade it anyway, but i'd be wanting to now even it wasn't slow as balls.

maybe i'm being paranoid because of how much media attention this has got, so this seemed the place to ask.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Father Jack posted:

i'm thinking more about home users with an older laptop/desktop running w10 and getting patches as they come out.

is it probable they're going to need to upgrade just for this? or is it more likely to remain a thoeretical threat that never becomes a big thing?

i guess if you can pop a whole bunch of people with lower hanging fruit why bother with something more complex, but it's still unnerving.

everything of mine is flashed and patched except my ancient htpc. i was planning to upgrade it anyway, but i'd be wanting to now even it wasn't slow as balls.

maybe i'm being paranoid because of how much media attention this has got, so this seemed the place to ask.

no one will tell you "yeah dude there is no way in hell this relatively recent processor flaw will affect you in the slightest, ever"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the vulns themselves are quite esoteric and from what i understand exploiting them isn't exactly easy. honestly they'd really only see widespread impact if included in the toolkits utilised by botnet/malware as a service outfits. even then they'd need to find a way to chain it with other exploits and it would only be as effective as the vector.

idk unless someone can explain otherwise it's p much business as usual.

edit: business as usual being patching your poo poo and maintaining/enforcing existing controls

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

no one will tell you "yeah dude there is no way in hell this relatively recent processor flaw will affect you in the slightest, ever"

sure, and if they did i'd think they were full of poo poo.

i'm just trying to get an idea of how bad a knowledgeable community think this might be based on what's currently known, not get a one time guarantee i don't have to worry about it.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Father Jack posted:

sure, and if they did i'd think they were full of poo poo.

i'm just trying to get an idea of how bad a knowledgeable community think this might be based on what's currently known, not get a one time guarantee i don't have to worry about it.

meltdown is a really fuckin bad exploit for any local user. it's not a remote exploit though.

spectre is so complicated to exploit i somewhat doubt it will ever be used for anything

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

the vulns themselves are quite esoteric and from what i understand exploiting them isn't exactly easy. honestly they'd really only see widespread impact if included in the toolkits utilised by botnet/malware as a service outfits. even then they'd need to find a way to chain it with other exploits and it would only be as effective as the vector.

idk unless someone can explain otherwise it's p much business as usual.

edit: business as usual being patching your poo poo and maintaining/enforcing existing controls

this is kind of my current understanding of the issue, that they're potentially a way to extract information from a system that is already running malicious code

is that correct?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Father Jack posted:

this is kind of my current understanding of the issue, that they're potentially a way to extract information from a system that is already running malicious code

is that correct?

yes

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
yes but that code could be JITed javascript

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Father Jack posted:

is that correct?

where malicious code includes any such in a virtual machine (e.g. on any cloud host) or sandbox (e.g. js in your browser)

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

this thread, or some previous version, made me uninstall java and flash long ago, and spread the word to others to do so.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
spectre for home users will be mainly on the browsers to mitigate by generating increasingly contorted jit code

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ymgve posted:

yes but that code could be JITed javascript

most of the browsers that JIT javascript have new versions out, and at least two of 'em (firefox and chrome) are comically difficult to not update

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it is exceedingly unlikely and would be out of the norm given that rowhammer attacks are more potent, yet don't have any end-user relevant attacks going around.

end of the day spectre+meltdown are read-only info disclosures. it'd be nice as a technique for escalating your rce, but on its own it's reliant on there being interesting memory on the device to read and being actively manipulated at the time of attack. servers care as they have private keys and external services that can be leveraged further combined with means of manipulating those independent processes. end users aren't likely to have a ssh server running to pivot to, or an access method outside of a browser. the most dangerous scenario then is an extremely motivated attacker knows the system inside-out, which password manager is running and gets them onto a site - while the password manager is handling passwords in memory - and uses that to access external services, but 2fa exists as do in-depth mitigations on the browser itself.

really all history has shown is that criminal groups are incredibly slow to adopt to new exploit techniques, and your nation state attackers would rather not have that white elephant of a vuln sitting in their systems as well. there's a strange misconception on the quantity of black hat attackers producing malware, their development processes and sophistication. really that is a topic in dire need of analysis because the reality really doesn't add up to the expectation of competency there, even accounting for nsa exploits being released and turnaround time for those being used outside of targeted attacks

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

my fave was the one that reported every single goddamn browser cookie

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it is exceedingly unlikely and would be out of the norm given that rowhammer attacks are more potent, yet don't have any end-user relevant attacks going around.

end of the day spectre+meltdown are read-only info disclosures. it'd be nice as a technique for escalating your rce, but on its own it's reliant on there being interesting memory on the device to read and being actively manipulated at the time of attack. servers care as they have private keys and external services that can be leveraged further combined with means of manipulating those independent processes. end users aren't likely to have a ssh server running to pivot to, or an access method outside of a browser. the most dangerous scenario then is an extremely motivated attacker knows the system inside-out, which password manager is running and gets them onto a site - while the password manager is handling passwords in memory - and uses that to access external services, but 2fa exists as do in-depth mitigations on the browser itself.

really all history has shown is that criminal groups are incredibly slow to adopt to new exploit techniques, and your nation state attackers would rather not have that white elephant of a vuln sitting in their systems as well. there's a strange misconception on the quantity of black hat attackers producing malware, their development processes and sophistication. really that is a topic in dire need of analysis because the reality really doesn't add up to the expectation of competency there, even accounting for nsa exploits being released and turnaround time for those being used outside of targeted attacks

thanks for this and all other replies.

for, i think the first time ever, i am slightly less paranoid after reading this thread.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Criminals are in it for :10bux: not for exploiting hot new vulns, which the security bug hype doesn't really match up with.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

apseudonym posted:

Criminals are in it for :10bux: not for exploiting hot new vulns, which the security bug hype doesn't really match up with.

https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/563964286783877121

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

really all history has shown is that criminal groups are incredibly slow to adopt to new exploit techniques

lol where do you think the botnet/malware as a service industries sprung from?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm honestly a bit annoyed that this patch is costing me performance while I'm not that convinced it's a threat on my home pc

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

spankmeister posted:

I'm honestly a bit annoyed that this patch is costing me performance while I'm not that convinced it's a threat on my home pc

have you noticed a performance hit?

i didn't benchmark before/after on anything but i thought it wasn't likely to impact home systems much if at all.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I have seen bigger performance hits from running motherboard "monitoring software" like msi afterburner. Haven't had the January updates cause any noticeable difference yet.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Father Jack posted:

have you noticed a performance hit?

i didn't benchmark before/after on anything but i thought it wasn't likely to impact home systems much if at all.

Honestly not really no.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Father Jack posted:

Meltdown does not require microcode, only Spectre. With that said, many of the common ingress application for specter are being patched to mitigate regardless so the impact is fairly low.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
not news: google continues to suck at vetting extensions and responding when malicious ones are found

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/EdOverflow/status/954093588362809345

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That obviously violates the NAP

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum