Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hah, one of the Mol Warriors hits on the WoL after the Naadam.

This is like the 3rd or 4th time this happened now. They really ramped that up in Stormblood, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

Whenever they get around to adding Sephiroth, I would love to see them split it into two parts and have the half everyone remembers be Savage only :unsmigghh:.

I hope the theme is just one winged angel. Touch it up a little, or don’t, I don’t care

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

HenryEx posted:

Hah, one of the Mol Warriors hits on the WoL after the Naadam.

This is like the 3rd or 4th time this happened now. They really ramped that up in Stormblood, huh?

There's a bit in I think the BSM quests where this gladiator you make gear for compliments the quality of your work, and then asks what else you can do with those hands, and says she'll think of you when she uses them in battle.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Bizarro Sephiroth LOOKS more like a JRPG final boss. The 90s were weird though, everything had to have Christian imagery.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Bizarro Sephiroth LOOKS more like a JRPG final boss. The 90s were weird though, everything had to have Christian imagery.

Blame Evangelion for that, plus organized religion being foreign and exotic and thus super cool to add into your story.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Honestly I like Safer Sephiroth's design more as a final boss but I tend to go for the 'evil angel' archetype.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They should just make leylines give a group buff while it's up (don't have to stand in it) and make procs oGCD.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Argas posted:

They should just make leylines give a group buff while it's up (don't have to stand in it) and make procs oGCD.

But on the other hand, AMing to the person with the stack marker and then BtLing back to your leylines is incredibly fun.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Argas posted:

Ah, your flaw is in assuming people won’t stand in it anyway

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Ainsley McTree posted:

I hope the theme is just one winged angel. Touch it up a little, or don’t, I don’t care

No, no touch ups. Original OWA only.

Bloopy PS1 synth backing real-people vocals is how Uematsu-san intended it and every remaster and/or cover since has been an insult to our pedigree.

e. Also one of the bosses in the FF7 Omega raid had better be Gi Nattak.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 20, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Bring back Midgard Zolom

I want to see what dragon daddy has to say about it

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ainsley McTree posted:

1. Birth of a God deserves love too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQwQnEfbh0U

2. I guess you don't get the same joy I do out of watching fan bases bitch. Three poop sock minimum if you want to hear about Sephiroth's cottage cheese!

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
What exactly is the deal with the weird, dissociative people-sprouting-from-people-sprouting-from-women-in-ecstasy-sprouting-from-monsters aesthetic that Final Fantasy likes to use for its final bosses? Is it drawing on some style of imagery that I'm not familiar with, or is it just something one guy did for SNES pixel art to look impressive and then decided to keep around? I'm noticing that 1-4 have basically just big spooky monsters for their final bosses, 5-7 have this particular style with the sprouting (except Safer Sephiroth), and then 8 onward go more toward the Safer Sephiroth motif of having an identifably single person that looks like they've had a botched metamorphosis.

I find it visually interesting but at the same time it makes me feel like "oh... the fight is completely abstract at this point huh"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

HenryEx posted:

Bring back Midgard Zolom

I want to see what dragon daddy has to say about it
hate to break this to you

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Most of them aren't very fun to do as a healer, as you ineffectually shower your enemy in sparkles and rocks. Especially ones like Zenos when you want to dump a bunch of fel cleaves into them.
I normally found them annoying but against Zenos it felt like a desperate Stand battle with me trying to use astrology against a guy whose power was "murdering people."

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

hate to break this to you

Yes, uh... :thejoke:

Hence my reference to dragon dad

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Cephas posted:

What exactly is the deal with the weird, dissociative people-sprouting-from-people-sprouting-from-women-in-ecstasy-sprouting-from-monsters aesthetic that Final Fantasy likes to use for its final bosses? Is it drawing on some style of imagery that I'm not familiar with, or is it just something one guy did for SNES pixel art to look impressive and then decided to keep around? I'm noticing that 1-4 have basically just big spooky monsters for their final bosses, 5-7 have this particular style with the sprouting (except Safer Sephiroth), and then 8 onward go more toward the Safer Sephiroth motif of having an identifably single person that looks like they've had a botched metamorphosis.

I find it visually interesting but at the same time it makes me feel like "oh... the fight is completely abstract at this point huh"

I remember from Elentor's FFVII LP that he said that there was a period in Japanese horror/sci-fi media that was all about poo poo like this. He even has a bonus update where he goes into the history: https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/Update%20108/

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cephas posted:

I just noticed that there's a refugee lady from Neo Exdeath's horrible amalgamation hanging out in the Tower of Kefkas!

For NED it kind of made sense, since Exdeath was literally a tree that a shitload of demons had been trapped in and NED is all those demons coalescing into a singular entity. For Kefka I honestly don't know, it probably was more meant as a bizarre, abstract process of apotheosis resulting in the birth of a beatific angel form (by which point you were really ready to smack the smug off Kefka's face).

The first time I beat up Bizarro Sephiroth and Safer Sephiroth showed up, I figured that I had somehow interrupted his rise to godhood and left him a mangled mess and he was now *extremely pissed* given the look on his face before the camera pans out.

Kobata
Oct 11, 2012
So, someone finally got POTD floor 200 solo

It was a matter of time, given how pretty specifically suited RDM is for that challenge and the highest I'd seen before generally being either at the 190 boss or dying slightly after it, but still impressive.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Omegascape should 8. And be one of two things. Fights where we get a instance action called Drain, and we just hit that over and over again for 12 minutes then just a do cursory amount of damage to end the fight. That or whatever the gently caress really, as long as every boss theme is Man with The Machine Gun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Kefka's tower is literally the warring triad fused together and twisted with his visage crawling all over them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cephas posted:

I dunno but I would buy any of these vans

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You need a party that understands the fight, for sure.

Once you get one, you can do things like skip Phase 1 Cauterize, destroy the Fang on the first stack, and reduce Nidhogg to 1% before he shifts to his final phase.

I was in a NidEx farm party shortly after 4.0 came out, and it felt great to finally nail the dps and timings just right to get Nidhogg to 0% before the phase shift (he does his dives then immediately falls over). Will be totally trivial to get there by the end of 4.x as ilvl creep happens, of course.

On the other hand I healed a synced Thordan normal last week (with 2 sprouts!) where we did the same thing to the Pope Dad (he just keeled over right after Knights of the Round). It was amazing.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

While diving into a PS1 Final Fantasy music hole I found the gooniest (but also best?) thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5ECwiEeh-Y

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It's so weird, of all three healers I feel like I suck as a WHM more than the others, because I'm throwing out so much stone and not healing as often as I should. No one's died from that reason yet though so :shrug:

I guess because AST has other things to manage and not much dps, and SCH always has the fairie.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 20, 2018

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's so weird, of all three healers I feel like I suck as a WHM more than the others, because I'm throwing out so much stone and not healing as often as I should. No one's died from that reason yet though so :shrug:

WHM gives you heals over time, so you’re doing it right.

Run a parser to see just how right :getin:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Die Sexmonster! posted:

WHM gives you heals over time, so you’re doing it right.

Run a parser to see just how right :getin:

The day I out dps a (bad) dps I'll be sure to post it. It will be a celebration.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A WHM can actually compete with a good DPS on a megapull while they're spamming Holy.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm almost at 50 on WHM, so I will soon know the glory of Holy

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I'm almost at 50 on WHM, so I will soon know the glory of Holy

Good news, you get Holy at 45!

Mine's only at like 51 so I haven't yet had the opportunity to do the Thin Air + Presence of Mind + Holy fun times.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Mazed posted:

No, no touch ups. Original OWA only.

Bloopy PS1 synth backing real-people vocals is how Uematsu-san intended it and every remaster and/or cover since has been an insult to our pedigree.

e. Also one of the bosses in the FF7 Omega raid had better be Gi Nattak.
I wish I could find the ear-splitting midi rendition the Flaming Pink Dragons of Maple Syrup used for their webpage. Although it was torture for the ears, I couldn't play it without cackling madly.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yo can i just mention how hilarious the SB quest fanfare is? It's so, i dunno... wrong.

I felt this way ever since i first heard it, and it kept poking that part of my brain that made me think "i know this from somewhere.... gat dangit was is it." Every single time i completed a quest. Drives you insane.

It felt really out of place, somehow. And when i advanced the story and found out what song it's a part of, it was even worse. There's so many downer or somber quest lines you end with this pompous, march-like overblown fanfare. It makes me want to pump a baton every time i hear it.

I don't even really remember the HW fanfare, but at least it was inoffensive enough to be forgettable. I still kind of prefer the OG ARR quest fanfare.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

HenryEx posted:

Yo can i just mention how hilarious the SB quest fanfare is? It's so, i dunno... wrong.

I felt this way ever since i first heard it, and it kept poking that part of my brain that made me think "i know this from somewhere.... gat dangit was is it." Every single time i completed a quest. Drives you insane.

It felt really out of place, somehow. And when i advanced the story and found out what song it's a part of, it was even worse. There's so many downer or somber quest lines you end with this pompous, march-like overblown fanfare. It makes me want to pump a baton every time i hear it.

I don't even really remember the HW fanfare, but at least it was inoffensive enough to be forgettable. I still kind of prefer the OG ARR quest fanfare.

Every time I hear the SB quest turn-in, my brain goes "...the faaaabric of our liiiiives!"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well I mean, the Heavensward quest accepted and completed jingles are *also* borrowed from another song (Solid). Though I guess they're a bit less awkwardly out of place when you finish a downer quest.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Ainsley McTree posted:

I dunno but I would buy any of these vans

I don't know about the other two but the Tower of the Gods looks to be based on Dante's Divine Comedy and Michelangelo's Pieta. The first tier is Dante's Satan submerged half-way in a frozen pond as punishment from God, the second tier is Purgatory where you suffer to achieve forgiveness, and the final tier is the ascension to Heaven and meeting God, with the visual depiction being a interpretation of Michelangelo's Pieta, in which Mary is cradling the body of Jesus.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

SirPhoebos posted:

I remember from Elentor's FFVII LP that he said that there was a period in Japanese horror/sci-fi media that was all about poo poo like this. He even has a bonus update where he goes into the history: https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/Update%20108/

This is a great answer, thanks

Griz
May 21, 2001

vOv posted:

Mine's only at like 51 so I haven't yet had the opportunity to do the Thin Air + Presence of Mind + Holy fun times.

don't forget assize, by far the best skill in the game (earthly star would be a contender if it wasn't so laggy)

60 WHM was great after being freed from the shackles of old cleric stance at Stormblood launch, but now with all the new skills it's incredibly good at 4-man dungeons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Is there any better way to farm poetics than "shove my face at 50/60, stare at party finder for first-timers, weep miserably?"

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Unsync one of the 100 poetics dungeons? Amdapor Keep Hard or Keeper of the Lake are probably fastest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

24 mans give a bunch but prolly not as time efficient