Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Some loans force interest payments, especially if you pay off the loan early.

Man, that's even more fuckery.

Anyone think OnePlus is reliable and secure?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/19/16908990/oneplus-credit-card-security-breach-investigation-40000-affected

How about now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

??? Why would you pay off interest?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Some loans force interest payments, especially if you pay off the loan early.

that and because the loans that were gaining interest i've had outstanding since i started uni 8 years ago and had two semesters of pharmacy school thrown in to boot

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
RVA is rad and is on the short list of places I would happily move to from where I am now.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

lol. Still on my OnePlus One so sounds like I wouldn't have been affected anyway but yeesh. Reason I keep a tiny balance credit card around...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Seminal Flu posted:

Man, that's even more fuckery.

Anyone think OnePlus is reliable and secure?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/19/16908990/oneplus-credit-card-security-breach-investigation-40000-affected

How about now?

:lol: first comment "this is why we need bitcoin."

Overall I've been happy with their hardware. Had a OP1 as my DD from summer of 2015 until November and just bought a lightly used 3T off of Swappa to replace a bootlooping Nexus 6P. Whatever other shortcomings they have as a company their phones are hard to beat in their price points.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geoj posted:

"Don't look at all those hacked exchanges, DON'T LOOK AT THEM!"

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geoj posted:

Overall I've been happy with their hardware. Had a OP1 as my DD from summer of 2015 until November and just bought a lightly used 3T off of Swappa to replace a bootlooping Nexus 6P. Whatever other shortcomings they have as a company their phones are hard to beat in their price points.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/11/16457954/oneplus-phones-collecting-sensitive-data

Not worth it IMO

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Which is why you install LineageOS on it ASAP.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just bought a 2018 Elantra loaded for $16.5 out the door (this includes taxes and plate). Msrp 21.7 and it’s my exact color combo I wanted to boot.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
So VW NZ are running a summer photo competition, and I got chosen as a weekly winner!

Which won me the sweet Lego Kombi!

Not only that, but because it was featured on VW's FB, the actual owner of the van saw it, and VW is hooking them up with the Lego kit too!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

BuckyDoneGun posted:

So VW NZ are running a summer photo competition, and I got chosen as a weekly winner!

Not only that, but because it was featured on VW's FB, the actual owner of the van saw it, and VW is hooking them up with the Lego kit too!

That is awesomeness

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BuckyDoneGun posted:

That's awesome dude!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

KozmoNaut posted:

Which is why you install LineageOS on it ASAP.

This is exactly why I buy phones with unlocked bootloaders out of the box.

Also I seriously doubt Oneplus is the only phone maker that does data trawling. If you're seriously concerned about this you really shouldn't be running a stock ROM.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 20, 2018

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

spog posted:

Which I invariably forget about until I sit down and remember that I have a couple of sharp philips head in my back pocket.

(If you had pms, then people won't have to send you cryptic messages about your industry)

I know, I've just not been able to justify PMs my entire time here.

However if you're willing to chat, email is choppeds10 at the googles.

Just paid 89 cents a pound for chicken thighs at the meat market. gently caress yes.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So I was running out to the store earlier and saw this dude zipping by on a one wheel hoverboard dealy. So I took to the internet to look it up, and:

https://onewheel.com/products/onewheel-xr-gold-edition

$1500. For a hoverboard. :stare: WHY.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

iwentdoodie posted:

Just paid 89 cents a pound for chicken thighs at the meat market. gently caress yes.

I just got 15 pounds of pork shoulder from Costco and nowhere to go this weekend with an impending snowstorm so I’ll be getting my meat sweats on while wearing comfy pants.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Cage posted:

What caused that?

Wife and I got married last year and both claimed one dependent on our W4s and everyone is now telling me one of us should claim 0?

Beats me because nothing else changed except for a ~10% bump in income over last year. V:shobon:V

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Previa_fun posted:

Wife and I got married last year and both claimed one dependent on our W4s and everyone is now telling me one of us should claim 0?

Beats me because nothing else changed except for a ~10% bump in income over last year. V:shobon:V

Only thing your W4's do is determine how much gets yoinked form your check. If when you do your taxes you discover you owe the feds lots of money, then adjust your W4's. If you end up getting some back or are close to even, then gently caress it, it's good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm learning how to dump 256k EPROMs with Arduino Mega

So far so good, it appears to be working in that I'm getting consistent ASCII/HEX results as it cycles through the addresses.

Just gotta figure out how to ensure I'm only getting a single loop of the ROM

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Locator posted:

Only thing your W4's do is determine how much gets yoinked form your check. If when you do your taxes you discover you owe the feds lots of money, then adjust your W4's. If you end up getting some back or are close to even, then gently caress it, it's good.

The closest I ever got to break even was writing the Fed a check for 0.27¢.

The stamp to send it cost more. It felt good. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

MrYenko posted:

The closest I ever got to break even was writing the Fed a check for 0.27¢.

The stamp to send it cost more. It felt good. :v:

I'm happy when I can get to within a few hundred!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I just got 15 pounds of pork shoulder from Costco and nowhere to go this weekend with an impending snowstorm so I’ll be getting my meat sweats on while wearing comfy pants.

What makes me happy is it's a local butcher, instead of a chain store.

But 15lbs of pork butt is awesome no matter what.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Heading home to see my GF for the weekend. Snow has the freeway at a dead stop for the last 20 minutes. Wondering if they closed a section.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

everdave posted:

I just bought a 2018 Elantra loaded for $16.5 out the door (this includes taxes and plate). Msrp 21.7 and it’s my exact color combo I wanted to boot.

Well, post some hard parking pics. Sounds like a pretty great deal, congrats!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ExplodingSims posted:

So I was running out to the store earlier and saw this dude zipping by on a one wheel hoverboard dealy. So I took to the internet to look it up, and:

https://onewheel.com/products/onewheel-xr-gold-edition

$1500. For a hoverboard. :stare: WHY.

i mean it's expensive but this is actually a lot cooler than most of em...because most are pretty bad kid toys

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

750i or nothing!

That and friends don't let friends buy a m52/late 90s bmw i6. There's no power increase over an m50, just lots more troublesome emissions controls.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Edit

Whoops politics!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CommieGIR posted:

The majority of the Bitcoin market gains are driven by a handfull of people, and there is strong evidence they are connected to exchanges and tethering services. It'll crash, and they'll know before hand.

A handful of people and one exchange literally printing $750m of fake money so far this month alone to prop the price up with! :D

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fo3 posted:

That and friends don't let friends buy a m52/late 90s bmw i6. There's no power increase over an m50, just lots more troublesome emissions controls.
Ahh, you see, here, you want a late M52. The early ones suffer from the Nikasil problem, the later ones got steel liners. Main thing over the M50 is you get an aluminium block rather than iron, which wasn't the case in some countries.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rhyno posted:

Glad you're back MGS.

A friend of mine just bought a 1992 Mazda MX6 turbo and it sounds sooooo good. Jerk paid $300 for it too.

Ive got a 1990 ford probe base model that I turbo-swapped ages ago sitting in storage somewhere in Massachusetts if anyone wants it. Runs and drives. Needs tyres probably

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Fo3 posted:

Sxx Supremacy :smugdog:

Woke up to 5+ inches of snow accumulation and it’s still coming down. Kids are excited to play. I’m excited that it’s a weekend and I’m not driving to work in this. Gonna be a good day.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I took my car in because it’s been feeling weird while driving and the results are in!

-left control arm is bad
-front wheel bearings are bad and it sounds like a jet in my cabin
-the alignment is off so it eats my front tires for breakfast quicker than it should
-struts are starting to go

Grand total: $2,100 :stonk: (and no, I’m not going to pay for that to be done, my car is worth maybe $1500 lol)

I really loving hate my car and I hate working on it, I just want a car that I don’t feel like is falling apart

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I really loving hate my car and I hate working on it, I just want a car that I don’t feel like is falling apart

Can I suggest a nice older British sports car?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I had two cars that needed constant care, sold them both for something newer and have only changed the oil once since. Feels good man.

I'm getting to the age where I just don't want to fix cars anymore, I've done it since I was 16 and I'm over it :v:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I had two cars that needed constant care, sold them both for something newer and have only changed the oil once since. Feels good man.

I'm getting to the age where I just don't want to fix cars anymore, I've done it since I was 16 and I'm over it :v:

Same. Yesterday I just said I’m tired I’m sick of it I’m done.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

You could also get a reliable older car :)

e: Nice Elantra though!

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 20, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Grakkus posted:

You could also get a reliable older car :)

e: Nice Elantra though!

my 17 year old car IS reliable, I just keep up on maintenance and it is leaking oil from the crank seal and I am too worn out to keep up anymore. i want to be able to take my kids to the beach or grandma's 90 miles away without a second thought. at some point it just doesn't make sense anymore from a life perspective.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
On the other hand, I feel like my summer was boring because I had nothing to fix/work on my cars except for oil changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yay: all kinds of fun poo poo here at Zip Tie Drags.

Nay: it's so windy that they just shut the strip down to 1/8 mile only.

• Locked thread