Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

tsob posted:

They did announce SD Gundam: G Generation would be ported to Switch though. How likely is that to have an English sub or to be available outside Japan? I know some games get an English sub for the Asian market and just aren't available outside the area. And how easy is it to buy stuff on the Japanese Nintendo online marketplace if it isn't? I much prefer downloading games than getting physical releases so I'd prefer that than buying it on Play Asia if need be.

It had an Asian release with English sub for the ps4 version, so I would hope they slam it all on to the switch and give that an english asian release too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Bright has a beard at one point.

This is a very important difference.

https://twitter.com/juchemane/status/953292236120383488

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 16, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If you liked gatchaman crowds then G reco is going to be extremely your poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is gundam breaker the one where you build your own suit out from parts of other suits

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

is gundam breaker the one where you build your own suit out from parts of other suits

Yes, it's basically Dynasty Warriors but you beat up robots and steal their parts to make your character.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So I’m rewatching all of Zeta after like 10 years and I completely forgot about the part where Hayato and Kamille yell at Quattro for not admitting he’s Char until Kamille ends up screaming about adults and their lying, punching Quattro, and him crying “he’s too young to understand...”

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If you liked gatchaman crowds then G reco is going to be extremely your poo poo.

I thought Crowds was interesting and explored a few neat ideas, but I wasn't a fan of G Reco and I'm not seeing the overlap except maybe in animation style?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, it's basically Dynasty Warriors but you beat up robots and steal their parts to make your character.

cool. hopefully that one makes it over because I'd kinda like to try those games out

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

DamnGlitch posted:

I thought Crowds was interesting and explored a few neat ideas, but I wasn't a fan of G Reco and I'm not seeing the overlap except maybe in animation style?

Its been a while since I watched either, but I watched them around the same time and from what I remember they have a very similar breathless storytelling style that's light on narration and expects you to pay attention and pick details up on your own, largely dropping you into an existing world and expecting you to pick up on the setting rules on the run.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Manatee Cannon posted:

cool. hopefully that one makes it over because I'd kinda like to try those games out

Over where? They are available in the US.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Over where? They are available in the US.

The breaker games never got released in the us or eu, there's a english asian release though(make sure you get the break edition since that has all the dlc)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Every game I import gets an official us release date two-three months after I import it.

Gundam side stories for the ps3 so far has been the only exception.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
New Gundam Breaker was literally announced as getting a Western release.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you liked Turn A Gundam the Overman King Gainer is another show you'd probably like.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Every game I import gets an official us release date two-three months after I import it.

Gundam side stories for the ps3 so far has been the only exception.

Me and Policenaut were on a roll of importing games in the PS4 and Vita threads only to have the Western releases announced days after they shipped.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Its the end of an era.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
Thanks for the recommendations on weirdest Gundam, G-Reco is now lined up to be the next series I watch.

I skimmed the Wikipedia summary of it about a year ago, and from reading about the negative reception I had wondered (hoped) if some of this reaction was due to the show being too weird for some of the audience. Tomino's statements that he thinks posterity will be kinder to it certainly suggested this. However in reviews I didn't see a lot of people talking about it being bizarre, just bad, whereas G Gundam was described as pretty nuts. So Thanks again for this, will hold me over until I get started on War in the Pocket.

Guy Goodbody posted:

If you liked Turn A Gundam the Overman King Gainer is another show you'd probably like.

Holy poo poo thank you for this. I watched the opening on youtube and it was love at first sight. Just watched the first episode and it's really amazing. This was totally under my radar and would never have heard of it otherwise.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Sooper Gila posted:

Thanks for the recommendations on weirdest Gundam, G-Reco is now lined up to be the next series I watch.

I skimmed the Wikipedia summary of it about a year ago, and from reading about the negative reception I had wondered (hoped) if some of this reaction was due to the show being too weird for some of the audience. Tomino's statements that he thinks posterity will be kinder to it certainly suggested this. However in reviews I didn't see a lot of people talking about it being bizarre, just bad, whereas G Gundam was described as pretty nuts. So Thanks again for this, will hold me over until I get started on War in the Pocket.

Holy poo poo thank you for this. I watched the opening on youtube and it was love at first sight. Just watched the first episode and it's really amazing. This was totally under my radar and would never have heard of it otherwise.

G-Reco and King Gainer are both loving great.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I just realized Gundams don't have airbags

What the gently caress

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The bizarre part of G-Reco is more in its pacing and how, how much, and how fast plot information is given to the audience rather than any particular idea being incomprehensible on its own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

What the gently caress

That is incorrect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Marx Headroom posted:

What the gently caress

:wrong:

They do in G-Reco :eng101:.

edit: drat YOU IMPATOM! :argh:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Thank you friends my blood pressure is returning to normal

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

What the gently caress

They get them in CCA as well as G Reco as posted above.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Raxivace posted:

The bizarre part of G-Reco is more in its pacing and how, how much, and how fast plot information is given to the audience rather than any particular idea being incomprehensible on its own.

g-reco is bizarre partially because it explains gently caress all and and partially because the characters themselves do really weird poo poo sometimes

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

G Reco is bizarre but also godawful.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

What the gently caress

What do you think the ballute system is?

But yes it’s kind of expected in every ms battle that a pilot will smash their face against the console.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Midjack posted:

They get them in CCA as well as G Reco as posted above.

In CCA they also strap car tires to the sides of spaceships so incoming suits have a softer crash landing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RevolverDivider posted:

G Reco is bizarre but also godawful.

yea I don't get the appeal to it at all. it looks nice I guess (tho some of the robots are goofy as hell)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Crossposting from the gundam versus thread because I know some people have it but don't read that thread

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Anyone want to try and get a goon room going tomorrow, maybe around 8PM Central time?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
G-Reco makes more sense as an allegory than a straight read (it’s discussing Japanese rearmament), but it didn’t really feel like the characters earned their ending, which somewhat mutes the message.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Manatee Cannon posted:

g-reco is bizarre partially because it explains gently caress all and and partially because the characters themselves do really weird poo poo sometimes

G-Reco does actaully explain some stuff and in really awful ways too. Episode one has Bellri explaining that the big rig's arms are controlled in a given way, when just seeing him use the controllers and the arms moving would be pretty obvious and not need explanation. G-Reco's quick and/or background explanation of stuff comes across more as Tomino being pressed for time and just stuffing in things where he can and moving on rather than an implicit trust that the viewer doesn't need explanation shoved in their face. At least partially because almost all of Tomino's shows have the same tendency to include information in a much more informal way going back decades. Turn-A, made nearly 15 years before hand does the same thing for instance, and I wonder how many people realize that the show includes mention of a solar system exodus, that the Moonlight Butterfly itself was what buried the Borjarnons/Kapools/Muttowooos etc dug up throughout, that Dianna cannot remember the faces of her parents or that Gym is thousands of years old.

King Gainer has the same episode count and a lot of the information is presented in passing too. The background for much of the show is written during the show's OP if I recall. G-Reco gets more recognition of it because it's newer and possibly does it more (though others do it enough that it's only a maybe), when the same is true of several of his previous shows.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 20, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

What the gently caress

Victory also has these flexible harness airbag things that only like half the characters use.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Marx Headroom posted:

What the gently caress

Doesn't Marida get a face full of airbag when the Kshatriya gets bodyslammed by the Unicorn in OVA 1?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
she do

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

G-Reco does actaully explain some stuff and in really awful ways too. Episode one has Bellri explaining that the big rig's arms are controlled in a given way, when just seeing him use the controllers and the arms moving would be pretty obvious and not need explanation. G-Reco's quick and/or background explanation of stuff comes across more as Tomino being pressed for time and just stuffing in things where he can and moving on rather than an implicit trust that the viewer doesn't need explanation shoved in their face. At least partially because almost all of Tomino's shows have the same tendency to include information in a much more informal way going back decades. Turn-A, made nearly 15 years before hand does the same thing for instance, and I wonder how many people realize that the show includes mention of a solar system exodus, that the Moonlight Butterfly itself was what buried the Borjarnons/Kapools/Muttowooos etc dug up throughout, that Dianna cannot remember the faces of her parents or that Gym is thousands of years old.

King Gainer has the same episode count and a lot of the information is presented in passing too. The background for much of the show is written during the show's OP if I recall. G-Reco gets more recognition of it because it's newer and possibly does it more (though others do it enough that it's only a maybe), when the same is true of several of his previous shows.

G-Reco really needed a third cour to pad out a few parts that get otherwise rushed by.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Or if the show were just better paced overall it wouldn't feel like it needed a dozen more episodes.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Xarbala posted:

Or if the show were just better paced overall it wouldn't feel like it needed a dozen more episodes.

My thought exactly.

G Reco and Gainer are both gorgeous, and if you like one you'll probably like the other and vice versa, but I had a sinking feeling a few eps into G Reco when it was clear it was gonna continue at the same ungainly pace the whole time. Very little felt like it had impact even the very weird stuff later on that could have really used an actual audience surrogate to go "Hey seriously guys what the gently caress?"

Gainer I loved the first ep and then I had to stop because the characters were so bizarrely behaved I thought the translation was hosed up.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
On the one hand G Reco is probably good, on the other hand it demands a lot of the audience (too much?) which is bad. Not even in an elitist "you weren't paying attention you pleb" way. it's extremely Tomino in that characters say things and do things with no regard for the audience so you have to piece together a lot and while you're paying close attention to what a character is saying trying to figure out what their actual deal is, there's stuff going on in the background of the scene that you'll miss. It's also really badly paced, which is another Tomino hallmark.

That you can see the exact moment a certain character is cured and just pretending to be sick is super cool. The fact that you can miss that moment is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Didn’t they move the actual animation from a key character moment to the title sequence and replace it with a cockpit view of the same moment in the actual show?