Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

I post to load a new page because the image above makes my computer lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

That feeling when the loud part of bohemian rhapsody kicks in

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 20, 2018

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

So it's a gif and not an image.
13mo for this poo poo.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Zzr posted:

I post to load a new page because the image above makes my computer lag.

peter gabriel posted:

That feeling when the loud part of bohemian rhapsody kicks in
lol

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Good cat!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I hope everyone walking into federal buildings with documents proving that they're hosed managed to get out before the doors auto locked.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

G0RF posted:

Somebody with mega Google fu skills needs to dig out Chris’s old rambling asides about possibly licensing their heavily modified engine to other parties. I’m pretty sure that was a brief Croberts fever dream from a couple years back, and I’m not the only person who remembers it that way.

The theorycrafters were still running wild with that lunacy in the months leading up to the lawsuit. But I think Chris kicked that off with some ill-chosen bloviating way back when, I just haven’t found the source yet.

Still miles back.

I am sure I remember them talking about licensing some aspects of what they had done, but as I remember it they were talking about their website and crowdfunding setup.

fake e - found it:

quote:

Making you the next crowdfunding star citizen

The community and virtuous funding cycle Roberts has created for the game wouldn't be possible without the proprietary fundraising service Roberts' team built. Now, given the service's success, he's planning to offer a platform to other entrepreneurs who want to bypass traditional crowdfunding sites that can gather and collect contributions, integrate a community and—if it's an evolving software product—act as the place to get the most recent downloads. In essence, a hub for the entirety of the project, from campaign to shipped product.

source: https://www.cnbc.com/2014/09/23/the-man-who-made-50-million-ditching-kickstarter.html

This doesn't mean he didn't blather about licensing "Star Engine" though

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hmm basically

original kickstarter demo: actually made by crytek
original crowdfunding platform: actually made by turbulent
slick lookin spaceship sale videos: actually made by crytek (ever wonder why they stopped doing them lol)
marketing: actually made by turbulent (unfortunately not from the best marketer since she was a little girl)
"in-game" demos/trailers: actually made by turbulent
swag: actually made by CIG, sent out to china/taiwan

the one and only thing I can find CIG actually does, in house, is the merch for star citizen. everything else is handled by outside companies

jesus christ

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
concept art: google image search

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

TheAgent posted:

hmm basically

slick lookin spaceship sale videos: actually made by crytek (ever wonder why they stopped doing them lol)
marketing: actually made by turbulent (unfortunately not from the best marketer since she was a little girl)

the one and only thing I can find CIG actually does, in house, is the merch for star citizen. everything else is handled by outside companies

jesus christ

Someone in that building must be making ship models that they give to other people to animate.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

Someone in that building must be making ship models that they give to other people to animate.
I honestly have no idea what anyone does there. like I have a feeling the first half of the year nothing gets done and then the mad rush for gamescom/citizencon/anniversary sales begin and poo poo goes crazy

this quarterly update thing or whatever makes me lol because it's the twelfth time chris has said updates are coming faster. he's said it every six loving months since 2012

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

TheAgent posted:

hmm basically

jesus christ
These demos that turbulent have been working on: if they also did the last demo, do you think they are also sending back code fixes they make to CIG? If so I wonder if that's something that could be brought up during discovery?

Also could Crytek sue these other companies if they didn't get approval working on the code beforehand, or gave new code changes to the Crytek engine back to CIG?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Dusty Lens posted:

I hope everyone walking into federal buildings with documents proving that they're hosed managed to get out before the doors auto locked.

I got locked in a post office with my grandma one time.

Welp, that's my story. Hope you enjoyed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Aha, you forgot one thing they make!

MOCAP!

There must be hundreds of terrabytes of Chris rolling around the ground at least.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

AP posted:

It was all pointless, pissing off Crytek far beyond stealing their staff didn't gain CIG any real long term advantage that I can see, none, ok maybe they have a cheaper game server cost deal but even that's doubtful. So now they have to settle with Crytek or discovery will open Pandora's box.

I do wonder if this had something to do with the UK tax credits. There was some talk around late 2015 about visits from the UK tax authorities. At the time the thread was wondering if there was a VAT fuckup. Now I wonder if someone told Chris that Sq42 wasn't sufficiently standalone to qualify - if it was just a game mode then it was part of an American game and wasn't British enough to get the money. So Chris decided to split the game, Crytek said "hey!", and Chris said "gently caress it, just ignore them and they'll be bankrupt in like a week". The rest is history.

The timing would line up nicely.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Choose a game engine and have the creators make the entirety of your Kickstarter pitch video, then spend years saying why the engine not good enough to anyone who listens, then come up with a new name for it and explain that now it is better now you've fixed all the issues and finally switch to a version of that engine that a separate company owns, then finally get sued by the original engine creator.
I dunno, I feel like there is a moral to a story here.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

MOCAP!

There must be hundreds of terrabytes of Chris rolling around the ground at least.
gently caress me, how could I forget the $30m worth of worthless mocap

touche

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tort pedos away!

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
is the game out yet?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

peter gabriel posted:

An engine in the hand is worth two up the bush

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Zzr posted:

So it's a gif and not an image.
13mo for this poo poo.

That god drat annoying... my computer stuttering like crazy and gpu running at 98%

whoever posted posted that can gently caress right off

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Boocha Daily Video Release Tracker

01/20/2018: no
20/01/2018: no
2017/20/01: no
2017/01/20: no

01-20-2018: no
20-01-2018: no
2018-20-01: no
2018-01-20: no

Sunk Cost Galaxy Official Release Date: ? Days

Can you move around your kitchen without stumbling over Wing Commander props: no

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Bootcha never said no to the C&D question.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Thoatse posted:

That god drat annoying... my computer stuttering like crazy and gpu running at 98%

I blame Peter Gabriel.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Spooder-Mun posted:

Why The Long Dark Is Better Than Star Citizen

by Spooder-Mun, Grade 8

The Long Dark is a game where you run around Canada then die of hypothermia. There's a story mode with two of five planned episodes released, plus a sandbox survival mode which is the more interesting part of the game for most people. While this sounds familiar it is better than Star Citizen because Star Citizen just says it might one day have those things instead of actually having them. Instead of paying a bunch of actors to look bored in mocap suit they went for some stylized art that looks a bit weird but is still well done. You can choose to play as a male character, voiced by Commander Shepard from Mass Effect, or a female character, also voiced by Commander Shepard from Mass Effect. Mass Effect is a game series where you run around inside a spaceship sometimes, but usually when your spaceship explodes, something other than bad coding caused it to happen.

Here's your character status page:

There's also a few other stats to manage, like how much you're carrying (which affects how long you can sprint for), wear and tear on your weapons, tools, and clothing, etc. It looks a little on the grognard side at first but it's pretty straightforward, and most importantly, not a loving chore that detracts from the fun premise of the game. If you let Star Citizen fans design this game you'd probably have to manually manage your breathing, with a button for breathing in and a separate button for breathing out.

Things you can do in The Long Dark:

Look at Trees

Wait for Star Citizen to be playable

Read and post in threads about Star Citizen on internet forums

The biggest reason that The Long Dark is better than Star Citizen is that it exists and you can play it.

In conclusion, Canada is a land of contrasts.

Didn't get around to reading it properly till just now, but A+.

Hope you continue to play the game, because it's one of my faves.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Choose a game engine and have the creators make the entirety of your Kickstarter pitch video, then spend years saying why the engine not good enough to anyone who listens, then come up with a new name for it and explain that now it is better now you've fixed all the issues and finally switch to a version of that engine that a separate company owns, then finally get sued by the original engine creator.

The whole thing is a Greek chorus away from being an actual Greek tragedy (or comedy, I suppose)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

MilesK posted:

I blame Peter Gabriel.

:argh:

e: mods or pgabz and anyone that quoted him: please delete those, I've already had to restart my computer 4 5 times from it hanging... it literally plays star citizen better than this loving post

Thoatse fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 20, 2018

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thoatse posted:

:argh:

e: mods or pgabz and anyone that quoted him: please delete those, I've already had to restart my computer 4 5 times from it hanging... it literally plays star citizen better than this loving post

Done, sorry pals

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Done, sorry pals

whew, thanks... my computer all the sudden works again! :p

I wonder what the was making it freak out like that... it's not like it's so graphic intensive or cpu bound but as soon as I clicked on this tab as long as that gif was there it would immediately start hanging and spike my gpu and even if I closed the tab was still stuck, taking 20 seconds to respond to keystrokes and poo poo

Back to rubbing horsing around

https://i.imgur.com/Dxz3t77.gifv

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thoatse posted:

I wonder what the was making it freak out like that... it's not like it's so graphic intensive or cpu bound but as soon as I clicked on this tab as long as that gif was there it would immediately start hanging and spike my gpu and even if I closed the tab was still stuck, taking 20 seconds to respond to keystrokes and poo poo

It's all the fidelity crammed into one file, you can't expect normal PCs to handle it

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Thoatse posted:

I had to pull out noscript from my browser a little bit ago because it was dying hard on SA forum pages for a reason I can't discern.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

D_Smart posted:

ROTFLMAO!! He made a video defending French's honor

https://twitter.com/PascalLeroux/status/954539674294403073

https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/954668305620533248
https://twitter.com/PascalLeroux/status/954673003245191168
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/954674707634315265

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Sillybones posted:

What gameplay purpose does this serve? Does each meal have a different bug or something?

Yes.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Thoatse posted:

Just post post!

happyhippy posted:

MOCAP!

Hopefully they sell it on as one of the few assets they have. It could become the Wilhelm scream of gaming...

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Wrong company.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FYI you overuse this kind of reaction heavily. It's not like it's painful to see, just comes across forced

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/palonto/status/954744548739178497
https://twitter.com/palonto/status/954744550257577984
https://twitter.com/palonto/status/954744551616507904
https://twitter.com/palonto/status/954744552933470216

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Pixelate posted:

Hopefully they sell it on as one of the few assets they have. It could become the Wilhelm scream of gaming...
Imagine, some royaty-free sample company buys Sandi's lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

What is the full list of companies now? Does anyone have it handy?