Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Data Graham posted:

Dunno why I'm the only one who swears by nano.

I mean, nano isn't terrible if you just need a quick, simple text editor. But it doesn't hold a candle to vim's sheer power and capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I've found Audacity really janky and buggy over the last few years.

Next you'll be telling me GIMP has an awful UI

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I've always used Sound Studio, $30 on the AppStore but worth it if you edit sounds a lot in my opinion:

https://felttip.com/ss/

It gets updated semi-regularly and works a treat for editing sound files, IMHO. Lots of tools.

If you download from the website, you get a 10-launch trial.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Jus trying out migration assistant because I've never really used it before and I might need to for a family member. The option to migrate ./user/Library is greyed checked and can't be unchecked and its like ~7.5G for a relatively fresh account on 10.13. What gives? Why is all that data necessary? I don't think I generated that much unique user data in that area from just using that fresh account for only a few days.

e: Looks like most of that data is in Library/Containers. Seems like a lot of baggage. Not sure how much important data is in there that warrants migrating them over. Especially if they are from older versions of the OS.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 19, 2018

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Um. ~/Library contains literally all user preferences, plists, the keychain, services, user drivers (like printers), spelling database, user fonts, colour profiles, email settings and caches, etc etc and almost all non-redistributable application data. Just let it do its thing.

edit: If you don't want to migrate ~/Library, just create a new account. It's really the bulk of what one might want to migrate.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 19, 2018

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I guess it’s weird user prefs are shoved into huge rear end containers that have to be migrated and could potentially be really old versions. No way user prefs on a 2 day old account ~should~ be ~7.5G.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lol I've used migration assistant with user home directories that are hundreds of gigs large. 7.5 gb is hardly anything

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

They're not 'huge rear end containers' they're mostly symlinks.

Either way, my ~8 year old account:
code:
~$ du -ch ~/Library/Containers | tail -n 1
1.0G	total

~$ du -ch ~/Library| tail -n 1
 61G	total
edit: and if it's a 2 day old account why are you saying it's potentially very old data?

Pivo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 19, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pivo posted:

They're not 'huge rear end containers' they're mostly symlinks.

Either way, my ~8 year old account:
code:
~$ du -ch ~/Library/Containers | tail -n 1
1.0G	total

~$ du -ch ~/Library| tail -n 1
 61G	total
edit: and if it's a fresh account why are you saying it's potentially years old data?

Yeah, but 7.5GB in Containers does seem a but excessive.

Mine's probably 10 years old through various migrations and it's only 1.3GB

Now, if we're talking Group Containers, that's different story. Mines around 9.5GB, 99% of that being used by Outlook15 (Office 2016).

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, but 7.5GB in Containers does seem a but excessive.

Literally just one sandboxed app with a big cache, potentially

Some streaming thing maybe?

Proteus Jones posted:

Now, if we're talking Group Containers, that's different story. Mines around 9.5GB, 99% of that being used by Outlook15 (Office 2016).

Big mailboxes you download in full eh? Mine's 1.2G, of which 1.2G (less some change) is Outlook. It's downloaded calendar events, emails, and attachments.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 19, 2018

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I can understand 100s of gigs of user document data but prefs should be a few megs regardless of age. Cache data shouldn’t be migrated or at least segregated to be optional. Anything else should be rebuilt from the OS installer and not copied from the old.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Cache data shouldn’t be migrated or at least segregated to be optional.

Not all apps neatly store their stuff in Caches folder. Also, caches as far as stuff like email attachments are concerned will only have to be rebuilt later anyway at greater expense than copying over. If you’re keeping the applications, migrating it makes sense.

It’s not perfect ... but it’s why migrated macOS mostly boots up identically like nothing ever happened.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Yeah I think it’s great that it exists at all. I’ve just never used it before so I did a mock one to see what it was like. Had some tiny apps installed. Some scattered user docs. Granted it was the same OS version for the source data but that will be the same scenario as what I might do in the future for my mom upgrading her HDD to a SSD.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

As Pivo said, it’s just how MacOS handles the app sandboxing and it’s probably a single app you use that that has a fair bit of local content. I guess they could store the Containers/Group Containers folders elsewhere but they understandably want to keep it somewhere that the user will definitely have write access to but still out of sight because the symlinked copy of the home directory folders and everything in them will almost certainly confuse most people.

It’s honestly a pretty reasonable solution to storing per-user instances of sandboxed app data and it’s totally invisible to most users (who don’t care about the intricacies of how the file system is storing their data anyway).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Axiem posted:

I mean, nano isn't terrible if you just need a quick, simple text editor. But it doesn't hold a candle to vim's sheer power and capabilities.

Honestly I just hate Nano because I don’t understand how to use it. At least vim it’s quite easy: the : brings up a command like prompt and then you type w for write or q for quit, or wq for write and quit. It makes sense.

Nano? The gently caress does ^X mean? I’m hitting the the ^ key and X and nothings happening. Why doesn’t it exit like it says in the bottom left corner?

(Yes I know that ^ is suppose to mean ctrl I think but that doesn’t make it any less stupid.)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 19, 2018

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Dunno why I'm the only one who swears by nano.

Because the rest of us swear at nano.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Honestly I just hate Nano because I don’t understand how to use it. At least vim it’s quite easy: the : brings up a command like prompt and then you type w for write or q for quit, or wq for write and quit. It makes sense.

Nano? The gently caress does ^X mean? I’m hitting the the ^ key and X and nothings happening. Why doesn’t it exit like it says in the bottom left corner?

(Yes I know that ^ is suppose to mean ctrl I think but that doesn’t make it any less stupid.)

I know your kidding but this is how I feel about keyboard shortcuts in emacs

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Hello Spaceman posted:

Installer or installed footprint?

Actually, 23GB for either of those sounds horribly inaccurate. Did you download your installed from The Pirate Bay?

Nah - I made a partition to write the installer to a disk for doing a fresh install. I started with a 16gb partition on the drive and it complained about wanting 23gb of free space.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

is there any way you can configure safari cookies to keep you logged in to youtube while keeping you logged out of google search? like as a millenial shithead i actually get something out of being logged into youtube while being logged in to google gets me gently caress all except getting my search history logged immediately (as opposed to being logged with a trivial amount of effort on goog's part)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boris Galerkin posted:

I like not having to worry about modality idk :shrug: just arrow-key around and type, and the commands are right there, no memorization necessary

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

is there any way you can configure safari cookies to keep you logged in to youtube while keeping you logged out of google search? like as a millenial shithead i actually get something out of being logged into youtube while being logged in to google gets me gently caress all except getting my search history logged immediately (as opposed to being logged with a trivial amount of effort on goog's part)

Duck duck go is quite good these days and even has first party support in Safari. Try it for a few days maybe? They also aren’t in the business of selling your personal info.

Alternatively, I have a bunch of Chrome “profiles” set up for a bunch of different services (Facebook, YouTube etc) so they all get their own little ghetto. Then I just do my normal browsing in Safari with all the DNT stuff enabled.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Trying to fix up a used early 2012 MBP. The hard drive that was in it is throwing SMART errors so I installed another one I had laying around which was out of my old MacBook. I created a USB installer for High Sierra and booted from it. Selected the drive to install. Apparently the drive was locked with Filevault when it was in my old MBP. I entered my password and let it do its thing. Now it boots to a login screen with my account shown but the keyboard and trackpad are unresponsive. Using OPTION at boot does not bring up the boot menu either. What did I break and what should my next step be?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Data Graham posted:

I like not having to worry about modality idk :shrug: just arrow-key around and type, and the commands are right there, no memorization necessary

My complaint was that the commands presented on the screen made no sense. It literally says to exit, you type "^X".

Which if you do as it says it doesn't work. I have no idea why <ctrl> is represented as a ^ character nor do I care because all I know is that it's just really dumb.

If anything, I would have thought that ^ represents the <shift> key because that would make infinite more sense than ^ representing <ctrl>. But even that that still makes no sense because why would ^ represent <shift> when ^ is literally on the keyboard.

e: vvv I learned that in 2017. Yep. vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 21, 2018

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I thought ^ was a pretty universal shortcut for the CTRL key? It's used in System Preferences.app, at least.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: vvv I learned that in 2017. Yep. vvv

According to these guys: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/265245/why-is-the-circumflex-caret-character-used-as-a-symbol-for-ctrl
the long and short of it is that in old versions of ASCII, that code actually meant the up-arrow symbol. Shifted characters could be printed directly (no need to print shift a when you can just print A), but non-printable control characters needed a representation and up-arrow worked. Then up-arrow left ASCII and was replaced by the caret but the printable notation stuck. Interestingly, ^C represents 0x03, because C is the third letter in the alphabet, and ^G sends 0x07 which is the BELL character because G is the 7th letter in the alphabet, and so on. ^@ sends NUL or 0x0 because @ is the -1st letter in the alphabet - in ASCII, it is directly before 'A'.

So, by learning that in 2017, you were approximately 50 years out of date ... as this notation dated back to the 60s.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

We take a lot of symbols for granted when they really have no pictographical history ... for example, Robert Recode got tired of constantly writing "is equal to" and defined two parallel lines to represent equality, because he thought nothing else 'could be more equal'. Nevertheless, we take it for granted, like ^

There is no reason to call it dumb or stupid as a self-defense mechanism because YOU felt dumb or stupid for not knowing an ancient convention ... You could just as easily get mad at musical notation for being a weird mix of non-pictographical symbols and Italian.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 21, 2018

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I mean I never thought twice about ^X because I'm from the 80s and tons of programs used that notation on-screen back then, even stuff like AppleWorks.

It's still everywhere in the menus in modern macOS along with the other meta-key symbols.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

Duck duck go is quite good these days and even has first party support in Safari. Try it for a few days maybe? They also aren’t in the business of selling your personal info.

This is my solution too. The easiest way to stop google from tracking you is to just not use it. DDG has met my search needs 99% of the time, with that 1% being something obscure that gave google trouble too.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Google is still tracking you, even if you aren’t using it directly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

IAmKale posted:

That's like asking someone, "you guys are paying $30,000 for four tires?" when they ask for car-buying advice :iiaca:

A text editor is a tool in a programmer's toolbox. As is the case in many trades, it's often worth it to pay for superior tools as they typically last longer and let you be more productive. If a cheaper/free alternative allows you to maximize your productivity then go for it, but don't dismiss something just because it costs money.

As someone who just spent $130 on SecureCRT because all work will give me is Putty...

I got it for Windows, but I'm going to install it on my Mac out of principle even though the default Mac terminal window and iTerm is better than most anything I've used in Windows.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Toe Rag posted:

Google is still tracking you, even if you aren’t using it directly.

It's called google ads and google analytics.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Nude posted:

It's called google ads and google analytics.

I'm not sure if you're dismissing or expounding, but yes, exactly. Facebook does the same thing, as well as basically any other analytics company whose products are being used by a website you visit. Facebook and Google are by far the most ubiquitous. If you're fine with that, then fine, but I suspect most people aren't even aware.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Toe Rag posted:

I'm not sure if you're dismissing or expounding, but yes, exactly. Facebook does the same thing, as well as basically any other analytics company whose products are being used by a website you visit. Facebook and Google are by far the most ubiquitous. If you're fine with that, then fine, but I suspect most people aren't even aware.

Sorry that came off as rude, didn't mean to, ya I was agreeing with you and just adding how that can be.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

New graphics designer started at work. Wanted the admin password so he could upgrade his computer to High Sierra

gently caress no, kid.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

New graphics designer started at work. Wanted the admin password so he could upgrade his computer to High Sierra

gently caress no, kid.

ya, no spectre or meltdown mitigations for you kid lol

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

There’s also an unpatched kernel exploit in the wild that works on 10.12 as an unprivileged user. It doesn’t work as of 10.13.2.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Bob Morales posted:

gently caress no, kid.

I am stuck on this sort of problem at work now too. Every computer we have piloted with High Sierra ends up with the intermittent problem printing to HP printers, which is the only printers we have. I wish Apple would release a patch for 10.11 and 10.12, but lol.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

funmanguy posted:

I am stuck on this sort of problem at work now too. Every computer we have piloted with High Sierra ends up with the intermittent problem printing to HP printers, which is the only printers we have. I wish Apple would release a patch for 10.11 and 10.12, but lol.

That's the issue. Upgrading Mac OS fucks up a lot of stuff. Hey this program doesn't even work anymore! Windows shares aren't working now! The printer broke! Some random other thing quit working! We only have 3 Macs, 2 on El Cap and 1 on Sierra (it's newer than the other two), and we're not spending all day troubleshooting their bullshit. When the last marketing director left we got all new staff and I should have forced the fuckers to all use Windows. Two of the people we have now can barely use a Mac in the first place. It's bad enough working out Outlook issues (use webmail, it works in that!)

It was a total nightmare at the last place I worked with developers. poo poo half of those guys are still running Mavericks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ahhh corporate IT. You guys aren't infallible, corporate IT is what gave me, a developer working with 100mil+ row datasets in-memory, a Surface Book with an i5 and 8GB of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Speaking of developers, you guys ever hear of LaunchControl? http://www.soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/
It's a GUI for manipulating launchd. It's so much better than manually editing plists. Well worth the 12 CAD or whatever it was, if you touch launchd at all. Not only did I easily set up my processes the way I wanted, I found that I had tons of old things registered with launchd that didn't exist anymore or were very deprecated and failing.