Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Karzon posted:

Swarm missile look awesome but I have no idea about their effectiveness.
It would be neat if they were more effective against smaller targets, while the bigger not-swarm missiles were more effective against larger targets. Or something to make them distinctive.

Lichtenstein posted:

Apart from the free turn 1 retrofit mentioned above, they're okay but you have to be vigilant about their micro (don't have them tank needlessly, use terrain, lock enemies via melee, etc.), tank with the hero if necessary. The one thing they can't handle is tanks like sillics and you kind of have to get a feel which minor races are off-limits initially. Their mobility and speed is ace though and when facing a proper opposing army their Acrobat ability (passing through units) is amazing at having the entire ranged/support backline dissolve in no time.

In later era you want them in armor to tank the frontline (while retaining army invisibility), but really kinda cry inside and avoid meatgrinders when possible - use your invisibility to avoid disadvantageous fights and bait the enemy by having invisible reinforcements nearby (which do not show on the battle initiation pop up).

Their ranged units are bonkers, the secret sauce being their debuff stacks up to three times - you basically want to focus fire units one at a time and they'll simply melt. They're great on their own, help with your biggest weakness (tackling tanks) and make for some of the best Guardian-killers out there.

The flyers are great too, but extremely glass cannon (expect some losses even with micro). Apart from being amazing strategically (invisible warp speed pillagers/pearl thieves/scouts yes please), their strength is in the damage chaining trait. It's very good and easy to trigger, vastly more useful than the sweeps. You'll just melt through the opposing hordes, but take care not to attack fortified armies - even 1 meager point of fortification shuts this ability down and immediately makes them sub-par.

Try to keep them in your secret reinforcement stack - they can catch up to the frontline with their amazing speed and won't have to tank the first salvos.

All three are pretty nice once you get a feel for them, but you probably want to assimilate some tanky minors for garrison duty. Think of their style as high risk, high reward.

PS. You also want to minmax stuff so that pillaging takes just two turns. Then you're money.
This was a nice write-up to read, thank you for posting it. I am having a hard time trying to convince myself to play as not-Wild Walkers, because I have gotten really used to the long range combat units and having lots of industry. Having range 5 combat units before long is pretty bonkers. Though maybe I need to continue to up the Difficulty so the AI is more than a speedbump. Though I do tend to really enjoy the city building aspect more than anything else...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

quote is not edit

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

uber_stoat posted:

uh soooo

has anyone else noticed that, if you've preordered the DLC, it's in the game now?

Huh, they aren't available for me when creating a new game. The 'Content' main menu option shows the Vaulter expansion pack, but the checkbox says Coming Soon and won't let me toggle on.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

onesixtwo posted:

Huh, they aren't available for me when creating a new game. The 'Content' main menu option shows the Vaulter expansion pack, but the checkbox says Coming Soon and won't let me toggle on.

They pulled it back out, but if you were one of the people that started a game with the vaulters in they aren't disabling it so you can continue to play that specific game. They said they had another patch that needs to go in before they considered it ready, so they didn't want to leave it in for people that don't need it yet.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

Pre-ordered the expansion because Amplitude are awesome.

:same:

They're the only company I'll buy from sight unseen.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Warmachine posted:

:same:

They're the only company I'll buy from sight unseen.

Amen.

I've actually been preoccupied with other games and never really dove into ES2 once it left early access. I guess this is my queue to clear my Friday and Saturday schedule... :sun:

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Flipswitch posted:

Pre-ordered the expansion because Amplitude are awesome.

:yeah: also because I love the Vaulters, they're neat.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
it took me way too long to realise that the Argosy acts as a mobile portal. That would have really sped up my horrible two-front war.
Also, has anyone had any luck with boarding pods yet? Growing fleets with captured ships might be a fun way to keep a war rolling along.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

it took me way too long to realise that the Argosy acts as a mobile portal. That would have really sped up my horrible two-front war.
Also, has anyone had any luck with boarding pods yet? Growing fleets with captured ships might be a fun way to keep a war rolling along.

Can anyone use boarding pods or just the Vaulters?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
A few tiers of Boarding Pods are available for every faction, as well as a weirdly useless-looking "+10% defence against boarding pods" module.
They may need some balancing- I sent a small attack-class ship to defend against three small attack-class pirates in a sort of hopeless last-ditch defence- and my ship captured all three enemies in about twenty seconds. So I now have a northern fleet, which is nice.
Vaulters are just incredibly, awesomely fun to play; I keep finding myself in these horrible multi-front wars and end up teleporting one or two battle-scarred fleets from one end of my empire to another whenever enemies are incoming. (With the added benefit of being able to replace all my ships' engine modules with more shooty things.)

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
The expansion trailer using the Endless Legend Vaulter theme 1:10 into the video and then having the modern, Endless Space 2 instrumentation kick in as energy flows into Opbot anew is the coolest loving poo poo.

I wish other devs had an ounce of Amplitude's style.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rhjamiz posted:

Can anyone use boarding pods or just the Vaulters?

Vaulters get a stronger variant but everyone can use them.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008

Det_no posted:

The expansion trailer using the Endless Legend Vaulter theme 1:10 into the video and then having the modern, Endless Space 2 instrumentation kick in as energy flows into Opbot anew is the coolest loving poo poo.

I wish other devs had an ounce of Amplitude's style.

Amplitude's aesthetics are really top of their class.

In both of my Vaulters games, my enemies actually attacked me, too. So that feels new. I got to see my Vaulters do some planetary defense against a Lumeris fleet. It did not go well for the invaders.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Hey there. Is there a good guide for Endless Space 2? Like, general strategy/gameplay stuff to do things? I feel a ton of stuff is simply "buried" in so much detail that is really hard to properly manage, imho

Also, why have so many different planet types? RNG dependence, ahoy!

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I personally find that of the original factions the only ones who are truly RNG dependant are the Vodyani. For the rest, most of the significant planet type research is within early reach if you need it.

Do you have any specific questions? I'm sure people here can help you.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mostly trying to get general guidelines on what to do early on: like, any technologies that must be prioritized, tall vs wide, when to gear up the military, etc

Coming from ES1 I am a little confused, mostly because I feel there is so much more in terms of what to pay attention to that it is a bit overwhelming at first.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I'd prioritize techs that give strategic resources, as soon as you have access to them. Besides that I'd grab techs for colonizing any sweet looking planets nearby, as well as the tech that lets you talk to minors so you can start romancing them asap.

As for going wide, your chief concern is your happiness (can't recall the name for the mechanic) which can be mitigated by techs from the left tree, laws, racial abilities of your pop units, planet types, and hero abilities. Generally I go as wide as I can go while staying happy. Pacifism is great for this. If you want to conquer stuff, though, the war party has nice laws to help too, especially once you conquer at least one homeworld.

Do not hesitate to abandon garbage systems you conquer- you're leaving nothing for the enemy that way, and not gimping your own happiness.

One thing I found important to keep an eye on coming from ES is manpower- food production helps keep manpower high, which lets you keep your fleets staffed and allows you to quickly bulldoze sieged systems. I believe it is important for colonizing, too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

dead comedy forums posted:

Hey there. Is there a good guide for Endless Space 2? Like, general strategy/gameplay stuff to do things? I feel a ton of stuff is simply "buried" in so much detail that is really hard to properly manage, imho

Also, why have so many different planet types? RNG dependence, ahoy!
Theres not really and I made a bunch of irritated posts here when poo poo made no sense and there was no documentation. Feel free to do the same and I'm sure people will help. I know I'll try because hooo boy is the game's documentation and explanation of mechanics lacking.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

first game of Endless Legend as Wild Walkers went ok, think I was on track for a science victory but had it on 300 turns and the Roving Clans decided to buy their way into a score victory. Reloaded to turn 250 and trying to grind them down by killing their cities, but it seems like a losing battle at this point. Do they kind of just do that if left alone? I was probably spreading myself too thin with science, building and military.

e: ffs i just realised i could upgrade military units

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 20, 2018

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It took me quite a while to work out you could burn luxuries in Endless Legend, and about a year to work out you could burn multiple hits of the one Luxury simultaneously...

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I find you want to go for the Industrial tech that grants access to Titanium first for the industry boost, then Xenobiology for Private Public Partnerships. From there you basically play to your faction strength and research as the situation warrants. I like getting market access so I can sell useless luxuries and surplus strategics, but then as Lumeris I always have a use for more Dust.

PS gently caress dust inflation.

Karzon
Oct 15, 2002

dead comedy forums posted:

Mostly trying to get general guidelines on what to do early on: like, any technologies that must be prioritized, tall vs wide, when to gear up the military, etc

Coming from ES1 I am a little confused, mostly because I feel there is so much more in terms of what to pay attention to that it is a bit overwhelming at first.

I've played ES2 a ton and now that I've found this thread, I'll certainly add more as I have time. Most of my games are against the AI so I have no idea if this works against other people.

My early game strategy (till I push up against another empire usually) is to fire off probes along all the lanes towards the more crowded areas of the galaxy (usually the center). After that, I send my scout looking for the best system. Generally I'm looking for either a 5 planet system or one that has Titanium or Hyperium. Again, depending on starting race I may not even check out curiosities until I've explored a bit. I often research the planet type that has Titanium / Hyperium because getting those early lets me build ships that I like without worrying about resource crunch (and some improvements as well).

I usually focus on Industry improvements just to make more things faster, but you can also leverage your race's unique to do the same with the UE.

As someone else mentioned, grabbing the minor civ tech early is nice to be able to start getting bonus resources and eventually their unique benefits.

Whenever pirates or a second empire show up is usually when I start researching ship hulls. Sometimes I avoid the upper tree if I've found awesome guns from exploring curiosities, but you need to invest some there to get your fleet size up. Getting the first fleet expansion before your first war is very handy because you can mitigate lower level tech by throwing more ships into the grinder (at least for a little while).

That's about it for what I do almost every game. Mid and Late game play out pretty differently depending on how my empire looks, who my close opponents are, and what diplomacy I've managed. The recent patch that added more diplomacy to the game actually makes that aspect of the game interesting.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

first game of Endless Legend as Wild Walkers went ok, think I was on track for a science victory but had it on 300 turns and the Roving Clans decided to buy their way into a score victory. Reloaded to turn 250 and trying to grind them down by killing their cities, but it seems like a losing battle at this point. Do they kind of just do that if left alone? I was probably spreading myself too thin with science, building and military.

e: ffs i just realised i could upgrade military units

The Wild Walkers' big strength is their massive amounts of industry; focus on your faction quest so you can unlock the building required for the Wonder victory, then build it for a quick & easy win.

Helion posted:

talk to minors so you can start romancing them asap.

Phrasing!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
This spiral arm isn't big enough for the both of us Riftborne. :toughguy:

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I kinda suck at ES 2 and decided to have some fun by playing a customized Riftborn/Unfallen hybrid race. Robbit people who expand using cyber-vines have a slow start, but soon turn into an unstoppable industry/expansion machine.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That sounds great. If nothing else you can pretend you are simply bringing the Internet to all those planets...
What other rad custom races are there? I always get too overwhelmed by the options to even try making one.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So i started playing EL on Saturday morning which i think was about an hour ago, and now it's Monday and I'm at work and I can see hexes when I close my eyes. What happened

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Whenever I try playing a random large galaxy I always end up in the same arm as the cravers and it's pretty brutal. Maybe I shouldn't play with cravers?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Also is the ai as dumb as rocks on every difficulty. Twice in one game I had a tiny empire the other side of the world declare war on me, and I immediately asked for a truce, gave them one tech and demanded four cities in return. Twice

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they are and the only way they can remotely challenge you once you know the game is by the sheer amount of bonuses they get on higher difficulties

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so I was doing fine then all of a sudden three consecutive declarations of war

welp

(also it crashed on exit lmao)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Gotta say i love the Riftborn story quest. It descends into madness so fast.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am excited about the Vaulter's expansion, but I don't think I'll be able to get it for a few weeks :(

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

https://twitter.com/redsheep_sheep/status/956196277598998528

He seems so disappointed :(

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Okay, I have given this another try.

But I expanded extremely fast, all my planets rebelled against me, and I am bleeding money.

How do I actually expand without destroying myself? Like how do I know if I am at a so-called planet limit. I know in Stellaris it's shown on the ui easily

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

IAmTheRad posted:

Like how do I know if I am at a so-called planet limit. I know in Stellaris it's shown on the ui easily

The Empire Summary screen shows your empire's approval and the number of systems you have/the number you can reach before taking penalties.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Taking penalties is very much not a big deal though, just make sure to research a couple happiness buildings when you're about to go over the limit.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Truga posted:

Taking penalties is very much not a big deal though, just make sure to research a couple happiness buildings when you're about to go over the limit.

It was more like I was bleeding dust, and EVERY planet I had rebelled. I expanded too fast by having like 5 new colonies in two turns.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Endless legend stuff is on sale. Tempest is 66% off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Yea, everything Amplitude is on sale to celebrate their anniversary (except the ES2 Vaulters content that just released).