Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Magres posted:

For your entertainment, I submit the following Play In Two Acts

I love this stupid goddamned game, it takes a pretty wonderful game to make accidentally blowing yourself up into a positive experience.

The Lenz is the best Primary, the same way Hikou Prime with Concealed Explosives is the best Secondary. ( I still have love for the Kulstar too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Lenz is the best Primary, the same way Hikou Prime with Concealed Explosives is the best Secondary. ( I still have love for the Kulstar too)

Kulstar highest damage best gun* in the entire game. In fact I don't think any other guns can even come anywhere near close to the per shot damage that kulstar is capable of.

*for killing yourself

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Washout posted:

Kulstar highest damage best gun* in the entire game. In fact I don't think any other guns can even come anywhere near close to the per shot damage that kulstar is capable of.

*for killing yourself
Tonkor?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I just got the Kulstar and it's not what I expected.

It's better :getin:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Psion posted:

I just got the Kulstar and it's not what I expected.

It's better :getin:

The Kulstar is the moment I started truly questioning whether or not maybe the Grineer just deserve to rule everything. 'I want a pistol that shoots rockets that turn into cluster grenades' is the kind of bold thinking that can lead to the future.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I am happy the Kulstar exists because it provides the only real rationale for playing Nyx

can't blow yourself up if you literally can't die

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Pipski posted:

Or excavations, I think?

in pubbie excavations there will often be someone who decides they are done without ever saying a word and just hangs out at the exit. pubbie excavations are terrible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

The Kulstar is the moment I started truly questioning whether or not maybe the Grineer just deserve to rule everything. 'I want a pistol that shoots rockets that turn into cluster grenades' is the kind of bold thinking that can lead to the future.

Corpus...We want a pistol that fires micro rockets in a precise and repeatable pattern...

Grineer...Everything has to explode...everything...

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Imagine the walls of doom you could leave with a +multishot - flight speed angstrum riven. Just fill the hall with hovering death and laugh as enemies charge down them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at that point you might as well play wukong and go for a jihadi build.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm leveling wukong right now and this frame is pretty much just a glorified gun platform

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i mean that if you are intentionally blowing yourself up with explosives, wukong is the best choice. there's no real benefit from doing so, since explosives are better directed at enemies than your feet, but it's there.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Assimilate Nyx and just shoot lenz at your feet.
It's a thing.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Gorp posted:

Assimilate Nyx and just shoot lenz at your feet.
It's a thing.

i thought that got nerfed so that huge amounts of self-damage instantly drained your energy?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i mean that if you are intentionally blowing yourself up with explosives, wukong is the best choice. there's no real benefit from doing so, since explosives are better directed at enemies than your feet, but it's there.
You can fire Kulstar at enemies halfway across a room and the bomblets will still find a way to kill you. Also as soon as you pull out any launcher weapon, a level 0 Nezha will immediately start roller skating in front of you and kill you

i thought that got nerfed so that huge amounts of self-damage instantly drained your energy?

Nope, self-damage just does absolutely nothing to Assimilate.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

You can fire Kulstar at enemies halfway across a room and the bomblets will still find a way to kill you. Also as soon as you pull out any launcher weapon, a level 0 Nezha will immediately start roller skating in front of you and kill you

Nope, self-damage just does absolutely nothing to Assimilate.

the way wukong works is that anything which kills you puts you into temporary invulnerability. it doesn't matter how much of an overkill it is. though obviously, wukong still sucks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as a nezha player i make sure i'm moving in front of my allies at all times to provide the very essential status immunity from firewalker.

you're welcome

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

This game is kind of insidious. Not in a crooked evil way. In the "where did my life go" way.

There's something very hooking about the progression system and how you always have something cooking to look forward to. Is this what cocaine feels like? :pcgaming:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Is this what cocaine feels like? :pcgaming:

No, but thankfully someone on reddit recorded a quick demo of the real coke experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm-0TUD4YSM

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

No, but thankfully someone on reddit recorded a quick demo of the real coke experience.

What. The. gently caress.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

14 hours of this and he only got a single condition overload

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Haha I got 2 in like 20 minutes of Ophelia, guess we were lucky

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

YoshiOfYellow posted:

This game is kind of insidious. Not in a crooked evil way. In the "where did my life go" way.

There's something very hooking about the progression system and how you always have something cooking to look forward to. Is this what cocaine feels like? :pcgaming:

No this is what autism feels like

On a slightly more serious note, before you think the devs are super geniuses at designing this game, all of this is by coincidence. It's like they tried to build a house, made random parts and built random pillars without any blueprint and ended up with a pretty good house. It's why we're often worried they'd gently caress it up somehow, even without any malicious intention like, say, Bungie.

DE is more like the idiot savant of the dev world.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

wid posted:

No this is what autism feels like

On a slightly more serious note, before you think the devs are super geniuses at designing this game, all of this is by coincidence. It's like they tried to build a house, made random parts and built random pillars without any blueprint and ended up with a pretty good house. It's why we're often worried they'd gently caress it up somehow, even without any malicious intention like, say, Bungie.

DE is more like the idiot savant of the dev world.

I'd say it's more accretion than coincidence. DE is more like that guy who got dropped on the head one too many times as a baby and doesn't understand object permanence anymore.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's no doubt that de lucked into warframe becoming so successful but i feel that a good bit of it is due to them being genuinely interested in doing what they do and not just looking to nickel and dime players to death. if anything people worry because they can get distracted with doing a bunch of wild poo poo, but i don't think it ever gets to the level of 'oh my god de is going to destroy the game'

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

turn off the TV posted:

This whole thing with the dagger stance seems much slower than just packing a Zakti to trigger finishers with. Or, since octavia can invis-buff allies, bringing an excalibur/inaros/mirage/equinox.

But then if you're gonna be playing for 14 hours there's something to be said for only having one button to push instead of two.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Johnny Joestar posted:

there's no doubt that de lucked into warframe becoming so successful but i feel that a good bit of it is due to them being genuinely interested in doing what they do and not just looking to nickel and dime players to death. if anything people worry because they can get distracted with doing a bunch of wild poo poo, but i don't think it ever gets to the level of 'oh my god de is going to destroy the game'

There are a lot of articles and stuff on how DE and warframe came into be. I don't think luck has much to do with it. Early warframe was rear end. Straight up dull and bad. But instead of going oh well they doubled down and fixed it. They did what people asked for and stuck with it while rewarding and communicating well with the playerbase that was there. It wasn't an overnight explosion like pubg or anything. Just a slow build from refining what was there and treating the playerbase well enough to stick with it and recommend it to other people. The PVE focus is another big part. Less people being huge assholes to people who first join the game. You're never just gonna load into your first match and get destroyed by some guy in a prime frame all maxed out.

Warframe works because it's a free to play game by a company that actually puts a lot of effort into making the community a part of the game. It's a pretty unique combination of things that end up making it all work.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
Just finished grinding out Nidus bits. Probably got lucky but that was fast enough, 7 or so games of running around in a circle as Nekros with an Ignis.

Also now that I have the slots I wanted to get Atlas back but I can't and that's really dumb :(

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

NORTH-HALL posted:

Also now that I have the slots I wanted to get Atlas back but I can't and that's really dumb :(

Could buy him with plat. Maybe wait until his rework to see if he's worthwhile before committing though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

Vargs posted:

Could buy him with plat. Maybe wait until his rework to see if he's worthwhile before committing though.

Yeah I guess I'll wait till he gets a Prime version really.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

turn off the TV posted:

1/10 silent octavia

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'd like to bring this to your attention.

https://giant.gfycat.com/ArcticDefiantBlackbear.webm

So dainty!

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Aw, Clem is sad you got better supersoakers than him. :(

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Raptor1033 posted:

I'd like to bring this to your attention.

https://giant.gfycat.com/ArcticDefiantBlackbear.webm

So dainty!

it's a great gun.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Newbie Update: gently caress Neurodes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you know what would be nice? if de took a page from the lovely f2p phone game play book and had resource alerts on a regular schedule. for example, every tuesday has an alert for like 5 o cells that runs all day. part of the dreadful newbie experience is how some resources are really hard to come by, and i think something like this would help a lot.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you need neurodes then get someone to ferry you to eris for a few rounds. they still won't be raining from the sky but it's a lot better than praying for drops on earth.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

you know what would be nice? if de took a page from the lovely f2p phone game play book and had resource alerts on a regular schedule. for example, every tuesday has an alert for like 5 o cells that runs all day. part of the dreadful newbie experience is how some resources are really hard to come by, and i think something like this would help a lot.

I just wish that when you got a resource booster as a login reward, you could choose when to use it instead of 'you have a few hours right now or you lose it'. If they're worried about people hoarding them, just don't let people keep more than one login booster at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

I just wish that when you got a resource booster as a login reward, you could choose when to use it instead of 'you have a few hours right now or you lose it'.

I think that is their purpose. You login just to move the counter but now you are going to at least play a couple games.