Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Hamon Holyfist is better suited for that. He's the superior grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Xun posted:

Does anyone recognize this top?

Dreadwyrm Tabard of Aiming
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/e05bc97463c/
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/034e67839c5/

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Luna Was Here posted:

I'll have to check in game, but I think ramie might work for what I'm going for, will have to see. Thanks!

if you want this dyeable, you're looking for expeditioner's tabard

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Axle_Stukov posted:

Cracked Clusters are tier 6 materia, and the tier 5s are going to be trying to hit single digit success chances, so people are gonna need alot.
How does all this work, and why male models direct hit in particular?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Direct hit is plainly the highest dps increase for most dps classes, and tanks. At some point crit will overtake it, and some favour crit right now (like bard).

Pentamelding can fill the actual materia slots in VIs, but anything overmelded has to be a V or lower. Add in the fact you have a low chance of success and high chance of losing the materia, anyone trying to maximize their materia usage is going to be burning through them.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Nessus posted:

How does all this work, and why male models direct hit in particular?

Tanks, and to a lesser extent Healers. Their gear doesn't have any native amount, but they still benefit from it on offensive abilities. It's a useful stat in general, but Tanks will be chewing through the materia the most since none of their stuff will reach cap.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 21, 2018

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Replica is the only one that's dyeable, so unless you really like purple you're gonna have to shell out a fair amount of gil for it

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

RME posted:

monk is cool you cowards

This is very true. The devs just have no idea how to polish some really janky abilities it comes with. The gameplay style has always been extremely fun, and it puts out serious steady DPS despite not having huge burst damage. The 4.2 changes sound like they'll make things a lot more comfy.

I love how FFXIV's Monk conveys the feeling of being a low-down-dirty aggressive brawler real well. Compare WoW Monk, which feels very much more Wuxia-fantasy inspired (with some superbly cartoon elements to the tank spec); FFXIV's, despite the job quests involving temples and spiritualism and whatnot, is all about the thug life.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I really appreciate the new patch giving me a week to enjoy the Warhammer Bone Zone.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Pentamelding can fill the actual materia slots in VIs, but anything overmelded has to be a V or lower. Add in the fact you have a low chance of success and high chance of losing the materia, anyone trying to maximize their materia usage is going to be burning through them.

First overmeld can be VI, but everything after that has to be V or below.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
So I have GSM at 61 and ALC at 53, and wanted to straight level another DoH to 50, which would be the best to do now? I know the answer is all of them, but I like to primarily focus on one while doing GC turn ins on the rest, as all the others are about 30~

Also, two more questions,
1. What's the best way to collect red(?) scrips so I can get those Master 3/4 books?
2. What should I be wearing for 60 crafting? (I see Ironworks seems to be the "best" but it's also ridiculously expensive)

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Cul for hasty touch and steady hand II

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Custom Deliveries are easily the most painless way to accrue tons of red (and yellow) scrips, even if it is loosely time gated.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kuvo posted:

Cul for hasty touch and steady hand II

And CRP for Byregot's Blessing. The new SB abilities have you covered for most other things.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

EponymousMrYar posted:

And CRP for Byregot's Blessing. The new SB abilities have you covered for most other things.

WVR for Careful Synthesis II is also useful.

But def get CUL to 37, at least, for Steady Hand II as you continue on your leveling.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I love Monk, it's rhythmic, fast and its combos aren't as rigid as some other dps and picking your next attack and matching it with the right position adds some flavor. AoE situations have an added element as well because your 4 AoE attacks are split between cones and circular attacks so you are dancing with the pack and the tank, jumping in and out to line up your next shot. There is just a layer of jank to some skills that doesnt need to be there and has been there for a long, long time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

if they add FF7 stuff, it'll be a shame they already used the one winged angel reference for the Sephirot achievement.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've just met Krile. She seems to know so much about young Alphi and I love it dearly

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Krile's great and how readily and easily she'll dunk on alphy and dweeb days at the academy are definitely part of that

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I don't know why but one of my favorite bits of 'Alphinaud is a dweeb' is that he's apparently a legitimately talented artist. See also: Emannellain being a skilled dancer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

vOv posted:

I don't know why but one of my favorite bits of 'Alphinaud is a dweeb' is that he's apparently a legitimately talented artist. See also: Emannellain being a skilled dancer.
"Why did you make me look fat, Alph?"

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Rastan Beeza posted:

So I have GSM at 61 and ALC at 53, and wanted to straight level another DoH to 50, which would be the best to do now? I know the answer is all of them, but I like to primarily focus on one while doing GC turn ins on the rest, as all the others are about 30~

Also, two more questions,
1. What's the best way to collect red(?) scrips so I can get those Master 3/4 books?
2. What should I be wearing for 60 crafting? (I see Ironworks seems to be the "best" but it's also ridiculously expensive)

I will echo the "Weaver and Carpenter for their cross-classes," but since your plan is "focus one to 50 and then do another," I'd prioritize Carpenter, because Byregot's Blessing is fantastic. It's not as critical to get in the long haul as it used to be, thanks to Byregot's Miracle being very similar (and no longer needing a specific condition to fire), but you get that at level 51, and it does gently caress-all to help you if you're trying to HQ that loving steel chainmail for your level 30 armorer quest. Of course, if you already have gear from other sources, you can treat the 1-60 crafter quests with an "eh, I'll get to it when I get to it" attitude so you can accomplish them trivially. The Stormblood crafting quests have skills locked behind them, though, so you absolutely want to do them, plus they give a giant wad of XP, and most importantly function like the Moogle quests, because they give you the bits and you only need to provide the crystals.

For getting scrips, I just did the turn-ins for Zhloe and M'naago, because those get you a mighty fuckload. Only once per week, though, which is a bummer, but it'll be enough to get you a few tools. Which I think you should prioritize over the level 3 and 4 books, unless you specifically want to make poo poo from said books, because a lot of it seems to come down to "gear that doesn't matter anymore."

For level 60 crafting gear, I think your realistic choices are "grind through to 61 and use Bloodhempen stuff," "grind out six assloads of scrips and buy the class specific stuff," or "find some other way to buy full Ironworks."

I don't suggest the "buy class specific stuff" route, due to the fact that you need a set for every class and that's expensive and takes a lot of space in the armory chest. Do use scrips for tools and accessories, though, because tools are single-class anyway and the accessories are universal. So I guess it comes down to if you don't want to spend on Ironworks or if you can't spend on Ironworks. In either case, I don't think it's worth sweating too much, since Ironworks is outperformed by level 63 gear, assuming the same quality, and NQ 65 is close enough to HQ Ironworks that who cares.

Don't break the bank or drive yourself mad over pre-cap gear, is what I'm saying.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Bolow posted:

The Replica is the only one that's dyeable, so unless you really like purple you're gonna have to shell out a fair amount of gil for it

The price has dropped a lot now that people realized they can easily duo or trio Bahamut.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I'd get culinary to 37 then weaver up myself. Then I'd do blacksmith. I think you can actually do 2.5 star at 70 with this combination, the other stuff people talk about helps in levelling or old HW crafting moreso than now.

Edit: forgot you'll probably also want armorer before attempting tough crafting. It's also great for glamor and housing when your gear is poo poo so I'd put this before blacksmith.

ruta fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 21, 2018

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Master Matoya is just wonderful. I want her hat and her around more often.

E: She just wants someone for tea, not a realm saving favor :(

vOv posted:

"A skill I acquired some years ago for reasons I no longer remember"

E: lol that mother fucker He's the dude who would learn guitar to get chicks with but with drawings

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jan 21, 2018

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Consider these two facts:

Alphinaud is a fantastically talented artist.
Alphinaud will never forget the sight of Y'shtola coming out of the lifestream naked.

Somewhere there is an immensely detailed picture of Y'shtola in the nude.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Master Matoya is just wonderful. I want her hat and her around more often.

I've said it before, but her English VA is easily the best in the game, with Fordola's coming in a close second. She captures "cantankerous old mentor with a heart of gold" perfectly.

quote:

He's the dude who would learn guitar to get chicks with but with drawings

This is actually one of my favorite little character bits in the game. Not only is the whole interaction really funny, but it sets up a nice contrast: old Alphinaud really is the kind of guy who'd pick up a skill solely to show off and impress people, whereas present Alphinaud uses that same skill to help his friends and humbly dismisses his own talent.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I love Monk, it's rhythmic, fast and its combos aren't as rigid as some other dps and picking your next attack and matching it with the right position adds some flavor. AoE situations have an added element as well because your 4 AoE attacks are split between cones and circular attacks so you are dancing with the pack and the tank, jumping in and out to line up your next shot. There is just a layer of jank to some skills that doesnt need to be there and has been there for a long, long time.

Monk owns and is a ton of fun but constantly having to move and attack at the same time gives me RSI pain :(

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How much extra damage are you actually getting for being on the proper side when using monk abilities anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

How much extra damage are you actually getting for being on the proper side when using monk abilities anyway?

A whole loving lot. Most of the positional go from 30-50 potency higher on position so you're losing a whole lot over time by not doing them.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jimbot posted:

You're leaving something like 30% of your damage potential on the floor if you ignore positionals.

Don't ignore your positionals.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Hi thread i like playing Pally and the plan is for me to be tanking next patch in my static assuming i can get geares in time of course.

Until then, what should i do for practice?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What, are you going into tanking savage from a different role with no previous experience?

I mean, if that's the case, you're probably looking at a crash course of O1-O4, Rabanasty, EX primals, and pug O1S-O3S, in somewhat that order.

Of course, it does you no good if you're not MTing any of these things, so assert your tank dominance.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 21, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Well, that took a while. Not pictured here are a couple dozen NQ versions, cause when i started, the recipe was still 2 levels above my crafter level. Good news is, that in this process i gained 5 or 6 weaver levels, and eventually HQ was real easy.

Still, i hope that i will never have to craft Ruby Cotton Yarn ever again

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HenryEx posted:

Well, that took a while. Not pictured here are a couple dozen NQ versions, cause when i started, the recipe was still 2 levels above my crafter level. Good news is, that in this process i gained 5 or 6 weaver levels, and eventually HQ was real easy.

Still, i hope that i will never have to craft Ruby Cotton Yarn ever again

That's less than half of one stack when 4.2 hits. Get back to work.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Thundarr posted:

That's less than half of one stack when 4.2 hits. Get back to work.

Nah, i'm working on Kudzu thread now. I'm only at ~150 HQ of them though, and maybe i'll cut it here and make like half of them into HQ Kudzu Cloth now. I got more than enough ruby cotton now anyways :v:

Griz
May 21, 2001

HenryEx posted:

Nah, i'm working on Kudzu thread now. I'm only at ~150 HQ of them though, and maybe i'll cut it here and make like half of them into HQ Kudzu Cloth now. I got more than enough ruby cotton now anyways :v:

you could probably get 70 now by using all that for leve turn-ins (if not, you also get kudzu vines as reward so you can just make more)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ActionZero posted:

Somewhere there is an immensely detailed picture of Y'shtola in the nude.
Instead of this one portrait we need, we got sketch of Gosestu no one wanted.

Edit: also, I finally learned how to turn fish into gil

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 21, 2018

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What, are you going into tanking savage from a different role with no previous experience?

I mean, if that's the case, you're probably looking at a crash course of O1-O4, Rabanasty, EX primals, and pug O1S-O3S, in somewhat that order.

Of course, it does you no good if you're not MTing any of these things, so assert your tank dominance.

No we have DK MTing and yeah I'm coming off of BRD with no real experience other than what you get from leveling and trials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Can anyone point me towards a good controller setup for samurai? I just resubbed and wanna level mine to 70 to see if I like it more than DRG