Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Did we ever figure out the head on a pole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

vortmax posted:

No?
Best idea is something about Ajoklis and a reference to the Decapitated.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Everything related to the gods in this series is bad. They're really boring and dumb, and the more important they become to the story the less good it becomes.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I feel like this series could have been great if he'd sat in all three books for a decade and edited the hell out of them before releasing them in one go, as he clearly did with the first trilogy. Instead, yeah, it's a mess. It was at no point clear to me that Kellhus was possessed and not just his usual insane self.

Again, I just really hate the way series' are handled in this day and age and wish more authors ripped off Tolkiens workflow rather than his world.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

It was at no point clear to me that Kellhus was possessed and not just his usual insane self.

I'm getting the feeling Bakker wanted this to sound like him being possessed by great spirit / passion, and not literally controlled by something else. As in, the possessor was an aide, not a master.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

vortmax posted:

I think it was Bakker's way of saying 'bicameral mind'.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Someone specifically asked Bakker about the concept of a bicameral mind, but in reference to Kelmomas/Samarmas, and IIRC the response was lukewarm. I don't think he really said yay or nay.

The head on a pole was literally an image that came to Bakker while he was writing in a cafe or something and he wrote it in some stream-of-consciousness moment. Also referenced in several of his AMAs.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Finally finished it, then I realized I'd skipped a chapter without even noticing. :rolleyes:

I really liked some moments, even most of them, but to me it completely failed to come together as an overall story.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Libluini posted:

I'm getting the feeling Bakker wanted this to sound like him being possessed by great spirit / passion, and not literally controlled by something else. As in, the possessor was an aide, not a master.

Nah, in one of his recent post-release threads somewhere he was clear that Kellhus was full-bore possessed and had been for some time. But that's something that the narrative should have carried, and evidently did not.

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006
Well, it would certainly explain a lot.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Inchoros cosplayer:

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

No wings, would not bang.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Kuiperdolin posted:

No wings, would not bang.

No face inside face, would not accept blowjob.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Only just got up to this bit in Thousandfold Thought, but how is the title of this thread NOT “In a way, he no longer shat either”?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

About half way through The Great Ordeal and minded to give up. The nonman mansion sections are nonsensical. Have enjoyed bit of this series now just want it to be over which is never a good sign.

Worth persevering?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Zalakwe posted:

About half way through The Great Ordeal and minded to give up. The nonman mansion sections are nonsensical. Have enjoyed bit of this series now just want it to be over which is never a good sign.

Worth persevering?

The climax of TGO is one of the high points of the series.

The climax of TUC.... Less so.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Zalakwe posted:

Worth persevering?

The non man part is basically LotR Moria, which I guess you figured.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The climax of TGO is one of the high points of the series.

The climax of TUC.... Less so.

Nah, the ending of TUC is still good, just slightly underwhelming given the scope of the series.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cardiac posted:

The non man part is basically LotR Moria, which I guess you figured.
Cil-Aujas is definitely Moria, Ishteribinth is...something else.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Ishteribinth was interesting. We've heard through the series how the Non-men have struggled with the weight of immortality on their sanity and now get to see the full horror of that. That whole sequence is some lovecraftian poo poo.

Better than almost all of TuC, honestly.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Rime posted:

Ishteribinth was interesting. We've heard through the series how the Non-men have struggled with the weight of immortality on their sanity and now get to see the full horror of that. That whole sequence is some lovecraftian poo poo.

True, to be fair I start to mix up which part is in which book.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Rime posted:

Yeah it was bizarre but almost certainly my favorite part of the last two books.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

How can it be the best part when it contains neither Saubon nor Proyas?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Perhaps the best part is that which contains nothing at all.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The prose down in Ishterebinth is like the raving of an ancient race whose immortality was gifted to them by a plague that tragically killed all their editors

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

I think I'm going to forge on because ffs I'm nearly there, but the prose down in Ishterebinth is actually just bad and despite the time investment and some decent set pieces I've lost whatever thread of meaning these books were trying to convey. There I said it.

Hopefully someone punches a dragon or something.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

General Battuta posted:

The prose down in Ishterebinth is like the raving of an ancient race whose immortality was gifted to them by a plague that tragically killed all their editors

I forget the details but isn’t it confirmed that the last two books didn’t receive any meaningful editing at all? Like the publisher completely dropped the ball or something. At the very least, they both had a lot of typos.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
IIRC, TGO was delayed for years as it sat in the publishers desk, only partially edited, and then pushed out the door. With how speedily TuC came out afterwards, I doubt it had any editing at all.

Given the content, I wouldn't be surprised if the "confusion as to who owns the rights" was more a "we paid out an advance but we can't publish this poo poo..." until fans started a letter campaign...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

General Battuta posted:

This is why you're a writer and I'm not.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Rime posted:

IIRC, TGO was delayed for years as it sat in the publishers desk, only partially edited, and then pushed out the door. With how speedily TuC came out afterwards, I doubt it had any editing at all.

Given the content, I wouldn't be surprised if the "confusion as to who owns the rights" was more a "we paid out an advance but we can't publish this poo poo..." until fans started a letter campaign...

On the other hand, I’d rather have an ending with sloppy editing than no ending at all due to laziness or death of author. In contrast to GoT/WoT this was actually finished in a somewhat timely manner and without having 2-4 books with mission creep and no plot advancement. Also writing and imagination above the (admittedly low) standard of the fantasy field.

As to “we can’t publish this poo poo” I wonder whether the publisher know the ending when the series was sold? The crazy things was already present in the first series so that couldn’t have been a surprise.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Cardiac posted:

On the other hand, I’d rather have an ending with sloppy editing than no ending at all due to laziness or death of author. In contrast to GoT/WoT this was actually finished in a somewhat timely manner and without having 2-4 books with mission creep and no plot advancement. Also writing and imagination above the (admittedly low) standard of the fantasy field.

As to “we can’t publish this poo poo” I wonder whether the publisher know the ending when the series was sold? The crazy things was already present in the first series so that couldn’t have been a surprise.

Reflecting since finishing it about a month after release:

I found it thematically perfect, but the execution awful, with the root problem being that it didn’t describe the world at all once the no-god awakened. Every other flaw could have been forgiven, with an ending that made the slog of dick-eating slogs we just went through have even a modicum of meaning. Another 20 pages could have saved the second series.

Like, give us some sort of come-down. If you can’t figure out a way to achieve the feeling of being cheated and surprised that, after all this, that you’re looking for without leaving 20 dangling plot threads, hey that’s like by definition bad writing. “uh I can’t make you sympathize with this character who is murdered without murdering you.”

As it is, as much as I loved most of it, as much as his exploration of what happens when the wires of sex and violence are truly crossed, as much as “A Dime Saved” made the entire thing almost make sense (Bakker really should have worked the explicitness of that short story into the series, it makes so many characters make more sense), I’m not buying another book until the final set of books is out, and people at least say that it felt like a finished story.

I’ll defend the intention of trying to make readers feel that way to the death, but if I could reduce the purpose of art to a single, easy definition, it would definitely be “Stimulating thoughts (feelings being a subset of thoughts) through alternate means.”

By that definition, the books are still art, he didn’t end the actual world to make us feel the robbery, but it’s riding the loving line in the same way and to basically the same degree, and sucked for the same reasons, that Punk’d was a lovely prank show.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

A Dime Saved?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

A Dime Saved?

Got the name wrong: https://rsbakker.wordpress.com/2016/03/22/the-dime-spared/

Pleiades
Aug 20, 2006

Zalakwe posted:

Worth persevering?

TGO? Absolutely! I personally loved Ishteribinth.

TUC...well, that depends. I quit when a certain someone was "hung out to dry" and then the TV tropes spoilers did nothing to convince me to continue. In fact, if I did, I'm pretty sure I would burst into flames. I know about the ending and I LOVED IT! But, that's just me.

Pleiades fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 21, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lol he's actually self satisfied enough to preface his short story with "...at the very least, I think it does a good job of unseating some fairly standard human conceits"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Lol he's actually self satisfied enough to preface his short story with "...at the very least, I think it does a good job of unseating some fairly standard human conceits"

Conceits like "don't write stories about raping and eating a radioactive leper"?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

For an author as full of himself as he seems to be, Bakker’s command of language lets him down in some weird ways. He keeps using “trod” like it’s in present tense throughout the entire thing, at least once per volume, he continuously uses the word “guttural” in a way which makes me question if he has ever seen it defined, and at some point in TGO there’s a “you hath” which it’s like, come the gently caress on, how do you write fantasy books and not know your basic archaisms.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's also more than one flaccid phallus, which makes me giggle everytime.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kuiperdolin posted:

There's also more than one flaccid phallus, which makes me giggle everytime.

Dude really loves his phalluses

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I sure love my phallus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nothing wrong with loving your phallus, as long as you don’t call it your little brother