Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Vasudus posted:

After day 100, I upgrade everything to Executors (they're hella expensive in upkeep, don't do this early) and get two Thanatos + a tower with 4 snipers.

Thanks for the advice. I don’t tend to worry about upkeep. Though I have noticed that if I have too many buildings that are top tier that my gold income goes to zero. Are final tier buildings really that much more expensive to maintain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
No its true, I think i only ever saw copies of arena for sale. I was broke and got 90%+ from the clearance racks, and those like origin game collections and stuff, and it was probably debatable that I'd even be able to play it. God its amazing how much easier pc gaming is now, I like almost never have to tinker to get something running.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I finally picked up the legend of grimrock games and played the first one a little. It's good, makes me want to load up some dungeon hack tho

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ah dungeon hack.
Battlespire was Daggerfall engine trying to do dungeon hack, still one of my favorite game covers.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I remember this one early fps game, like slightly less impressive than the first System Shock and you had free reign to infiltrate a compound and had an RPG type inventory and it simulated you getting shot in the lungs and missing limbs. Anyhow after you blasted a bunch of mooks you had to blow up money, coins specifically. Because the money was designed to explode after being held so long by the casing dissolving after prolonged human touch, so like evidently they just wanted to blow a bunch of peoples hands off and ruin the economy or something.

It was called something like Hard Currency and I think it was by people named Pie In the Sky Software. I just remember it took forever to boot up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Welp. Just had a :xcom: moment in my favour.
Archon King was guarding a facility. I got one hit on him from a grenadier and shredded his armour, then my Ranger fired.... and his repeater's 5% chance fired, and he dropped an almost-full health Archon King on only the second shot made on it. Glorious.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

mods change my name posted:

I remember this one early fps game, like slightly less impressive than the first System Shock and you had free reign to infiltrate a compound and had an RPG type inventory and it simulated you getting shot in the lungs and missing limbs. Anyhow after you blasted a bunch of mooks you had to blow up money, coins specifically. Because the money was designed to explode after being held so long by the casing dissolving after prolonged human touch, so like evidently they just wanted to blow a bunch of peoples hands off and ruin the economy or something.

It was called something like Hard Currency and I think it was by people named Pie In the Sky Software. I just remember it took forever to boot up.

Gonna pretend you were talking about Chex Quest, the only DOOM engine game included in cereal boxes.

One of the more esoteric doom multiplayer mods allows you to play as Doomguy, HereticElf, ChexMan, HexenWarrior, DukeNukem, MarathonCyborg, Wolf3D BJ, and QuakeMarine, all with their unique weapons & unique buffs/weaknesses

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
They should have put Blake Stone in there too

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Welp. Just had a :xcom: moment in my favour.
Archon King was guarding a facility. I got one hit on him from a grenadier and shredded his armour, then my Ranger fired.... and his repeater's 5% chance fired, and he dropped an almost-full health Archon King on only the second shot made on it. Glorious.

loving :boom: right there.

I've been playing WOTC with iron man enabled. I'm currently on my seventh run, the others crashed and burned hard. Currently at the point where I have tier 3 armor but only tier 2 weapons, and sectopods are starting to show up. I can't put damage out fast enough to kill them before they wipe half a squad, so my tactic lately has been using my reaper, sneaking around and running away whenever I can.

Iron man is loving ROUGH in terms of showing you all the sloppy moves you make when you take save scumming for granted.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Darkest dungeon owns.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mods change my name posted:

They should have put Blake Stone in there too

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

The mod is undead, https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=33219
still works in GZdoom/Zandronum multiplayer but zero future updates.
The most requested but never implemented into the mod characters was Strifeguy(Strife) & Caleb(Blood series).
Never personally never wanted BlakeStone choice, because the weapons in BlakeStone series suuuuucked.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Rat posted:

I've been playing WOTC with iron man enabled. I'm currently on my seventh run, the others crashed and burned hard. Currently at the point where I have tier 3 armor but only tier 2 weapons, and sectopods are starting to show up. I can't put damage out fast enough to kill them before they wipe half a squad, so my tactic lately has been using my reaper, sneaking around and running away whenever I can.

Iron man is loving ROUGH in terms of showing you all the sloppy moves you make when you take save scumming for granted.

Reapers are honestly almost game breaking in how they give you so many options. Unless you're really trying they'll never get seen, and once they get up a few levels and can start wreaking havoc with Claymores...

I also had my Reaper drop the Warlock in one hit, twice. Turns out he had the weak against explosives trait, and the first time was a claymore under his feet, the second was remote starting the car he was hiding behind. Owned bones.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Reapers are honestly almost game breaking in how they give you so many options.

On a Chosen stronghold mission, I took a reaper as a just-in-case sorta thing. In the early part, I remote-started a forklift and killed four Advent while cackling hysterically. Always made a point to bring a Reaper whenever possible.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
There were enough reasons to grab PUBG already, but now there's another one, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFHrDzFzhJY

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

Thanks for the advice. I don’t tend to worry about upkeep. Though I have noticed that if I have too many buildings that are top tier that my gold income goes to zero. Are final tier buildings really that much more expensive to maintain?

Executors in particular are extremely heavy on the upkeep, at 45 gold. That's more income than a Stone House generates (without a Bank) so if you upgrade say, 10 of them, you're cutting your income by a shitload. They're particularly unnecessary until the last wave, Great Ballista + Shock Tower + Tower of 4 Snipers behind a two-thick wall can hold off quite a bit.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Darkest dungeon owns.

I'm glad someone else here finally realized this.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The mod is undead, https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=33219
still works in GZdoom/Zandronum multiplayer but zero future updates.
The most requested but never implemented into the mod characters was Strifeguy(Strife) & Caleb(Blood series).
Never personally never wanted BlakeStone choice, because the weapons in BlakeStone series suuuuucked.

The guy who made Samsara is a goon and pretty active in the Early FPS thread in Games. It’s one of the few chill games threads without any drama. TerminusEST, the guy who made Samsara, has made a bunch of really unique Doom mods and generally drops a link in when he makes something new. Most of the conversation revolves around the big three (Doom, Quake, and Duke) but people are pretty cool about talking lesser known games.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm glad someone else here finally realized this.

I need to get back into it. I played it quite a bit when it first hit Early Access but stopped since I didn't want to get burned out before it hit 1.0.

Also, been playing a game called Nantucket this weekend. You're a whale boat Captain where the Main Story is you're Ishmael and the goal is to find and kill Moby Dick. The number of 3-person whaling boats you can deploy is based on the size of your ship (small-1, medium-2, large-3) and the combat is each of the people in your boat roll a d6, that is either a combat, sailing, science, or carpentry dial based on the character's class, and you select one action per boat. The whales (or sharks or sea creatures) play a card either on your boat or on themselves and they are automatic. Also, there are random weather events that change things each round. Though a bit of savescumming (took sea combat guys in a fight against guards/pirates) I did end up killing Moby Dick. Going back now to play through on Ironman and get those useless achievements, they only are earnable in that mode.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Reapers are honestly almost game breaking in how they give you so many options. Unless you're really trying they'll never get seen, and once they get up a few levels and can start wreaking havoc with Claymores...

I also had my Reaper drop the Warlock in one hit, twice. Turns out he had the weak against explosives trait, and the first time was a claymore under his feet, the second was remote starting the car he was hiding behind. Owned bones.

I cleared most of the black site mission with my reaper just running around the place, waiting for patrols to move near explosives, and nuking them with remote start.

Never played like this in the base game, but given how brutally iron man can cascade disaster on you for one minor mistake, I don't feel bad at all.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Motherfucker, the second map for They are Billions is super wide open. Which would be cool and good, except there's Doom Villages all over the loving place. Still, I made it to day 95 out of 120 before it fell apart. I was behind on my research because I had two near-wipes so when the wave came I had NO zapper towers or stone walls.

24 is apparently the magic number of snipers in a blob to take out a Doom Village at least.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Rat posted:

For sectopods, the Whiplash ability from Skirmirsher and combat protocol from supports do a ton of unmitigated damage. Combat Protocol is also only like 8 ability points I think in the training center? If you have cores to spare and the instant research continent bonus, AP rounds are 100% worth it for Shotguns and Sniper Rifle (though I prefer talon with shotguns for the crit).

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Of loving course my storage/game drive eats it right as I actually go to play AC:O. Oh wait, and it's one of the 3TB Seagates that have well-known 30-40% failure rates which I just... put off replacing and forgot about.

gently caress

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

More people should play Strife: Veterans Edition, because it's a really good game with in-game choices mattering and 3 distinct endings.

The Bad Ending only appears if you die during the game's end-boss fight. Any other time you die, a generic reload/quit prompt appears.
The Good Ending happens after you systemically destroy the Order's factories, cyborg conversion temple, and mega-fortress redoubts in a series of gradually escalating maps. You will unlock a 2nd town hub*, and maybe find all 3 pieces of the constant effect SuperStrength(doom2 beserk buff) power-up.
The Neutral Ending is shorter & tougher than the good ending play-through and involves doing the boss fights in a slightly different order than the good ending. The Neutral ending playthrough locks you out of roughly 45% of the Strife game-world (including the 2nd town hub**) which leaves the Order mostly undamaged and warps you directly to one of the hardest map levels in Strife.

*the 2nd town hub is filled with high-damage Order troops who are peaceful to you because you're disguised. There is two ways to get into the Order fortress hub area, one way is sneaky/keeps the 2nd town hub zone peaceful, the 2nd way is killing every single Order enemy in the 2nd town hub zone and was hands-down the best fight I had in Strife. A++, would do it again.
**technically it's possible to access the 2nd town hub by warping to the hardest map level in Strife, then running through about 10 map levels in reverse until you get access to the sneaky route out of the Order fortress hub.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Son of a bitch, wave around day 90 again. I had just boxed off my eastern side, finally having walls everywhere, when I get a wave attack to the north. Ok fine, my north is pretty reinforced already but let's send my 24 veteran snipers over there to make sure.

No, gently caress you, the swarm is so big it breaks off and a full third of it goes...to the east. The east that is just a double wide wood wall and 24 rangers, because I was waiting on two powerplants to finish building before I setup my towers.

By the time my snipers had relocated, the walls were breached and my rangers were gibbed. The swarm overpowered my snipers.

Goddamnit.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
oh also want to play cybermage again

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Son of a bitch, wave around day 90 again. I had just boxed off my eastern side, finally having walls everywhere, when I get a wave attack to the north. Ok fine, my north is pretty reinforced already but let's send my 24 veteran snipers over there to make sure.

No, gently caress you, the swarm is so big it breaks off and a full third of it goes...to the east. The east that is just a double wide wood wall and 24 rangers, because I was waiting on two powerplants to finish building before I setup my towers.

By the time my snipers had relocated, the walls were breached and my rangers were gibbed. The swarm overpowered my snipers.

Goddamnit.

Have you considered playing Chex Quest on Easy Does It difficulty?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol the og Lord British dude and Lord Blackthorn are gonna play on a free UO server tonight lol

https://www.facebook.com/UltimaOnlineForever/

wanna ask him how space was

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Bought a Switch for the new Zelda. God drat is this a good game, crazy how huge it is

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mustang posted:

Bought a Switch for the new Zelda. God drat is this a good game, crazy how huge it is

The new Mario is pretty loving fantastic too.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea BOTW is incredible.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Have some bad videos.

hello darkness my old friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk5q0IQgfIY

just keep walking to the same spot, it will be different for you. really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxOLF9bmmsU

oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TECd6Myx2l8

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Holy poo poo :lol:

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ded posted:

Have some bad videos.

hello darkness my old friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk5q0IQgfIY

just keep walking to the same spot, it will be different for you. really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxOLF9bmmsU

oops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TECd6Myx2l8

https://youtu.be/P9B0hZNRC6c

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I just got They Are Billions. This is really fun. I was never that great at RTS's because I would always hunker down and turtle no matter what, I like it a lot better now that that's the entire point of the game.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

OVERLOAD has a May-June 2018 eta for release on PC/Linux/Mac, PS4, and Xboxen One(sorry Switch owners).
OVERLOAD should have Single Player & Multiplayer working at release, nothing is getting segmented off into pay-DLC.
The dudes making OVERLOAD are the same people who made Descent 1 -2, and so far everything they've shown looks good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDwPOry18p8

Was anyone in here dumb or over-medicated enough to have bought Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar since it came out?
Cleve Blakemore is still working on Grimoire apparently, and is now talking about a Grimoire v.2.0 version....which uh sure.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Descent was the poo poo

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Descent was the poo poo

Descent and descent 2 owned

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Descent was the poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005