Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am probably a bit more prone to say "Welllll," like Tom Baker than I was beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rhyno posted:

How influential has this show been on all of your lives?

I now weep surrounded by Doctor Who tat, rather than just alone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

I am probably a bit more prone to say "Welllll," like Tom Baker than I was beforehand.

Same but David Tennant.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

I wore a bow tie to three weddings and bought two expensive tweed jackets :negative:

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I own a fez and I'm not even a Shriner!

Edit: if my son had been a girl, he'd have been named Romana.

Flight Bisque fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 21, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

I not only listen to but actually buy radio dramas in tyool 2018.

I also share a full name with a character from the show, but neither of my parents were fans as kids and my middle name comes from my grandmother so that's really more of a weird coincidence

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Box of Bunnies posted:

I also share a full name with a character from the show, but neither of my parents were fans as kids and my middle name comes from my grandmother so that's really more of a weird coincidence

Su-su-sus-susa...Irving Braxiatel? :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Clearly he meant Glitz

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My wife got me a toy sonic screwdriver for Christmas once and it was fun to mess around with the thing where it snaps out to fully extended with the claw casing thing open. Felt cool and solid. Thats the main influence really

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

It's massively affected my gait when I'm holding an umbrella.

Oh yes, I’ve developed the McCoy umbrella stroll to a tee.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Doctor's Wife is a really good episode of television.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just bought the First Doctor box set with David Bradley. How is it, overall? Should I go in expecting to be amazed, or is it just OK?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just bought the First Doctor box set with David Bradley. How is it, overall? Should I go in expecting to be amazed, or is it just OK?

It's taken me a while to get used to the new voices. And the regular full cast/non companion chronicle style of the stories.

Bradley's more First Doctor-ish than in TUAT, but seems oddly breathless at times, and I'll need to listen more to get used to it. The other main cast are fine, but I'm so used to Carol Ann Ford's distinct voice, that it got a bit difficult to associate Claudia Grant with Susan. That's just a matter of time, I guess.

James Dreyfus as the First Master is pretty good though. It's a very low-key Delgado-esque Master. He's surprisingly good at being sinister.

The stories didn't blow me away, but they're competent. I'm looking forward to the next boxset at any rate.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Despite them both being born years before Doctor Who started, I have a mother called Susan Barbara, whose brother was called Ian...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i mean i dont have to answer that question, really. it's obvious.

peter capaldi changed my life

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

DoctorWhat posted:

I can't blame you:

Someone call the Town Watch. Lobus Caecilius' robe is off. AGAIN. :v:

In seriousness though, and if it's not too much of an imposition, in what way? I recall you saying that Colin Baker/Sixie had a positive influence :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've long held Colin Baker responsible for my growing up with the mindset that being a jerk to everyone is perfectly acceptable.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DoctorWhat posted:

elaborate?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zaroff posted:

Despite them both being born years before Doctor Who started, I have a mother called Susan Barbara, whose brother was called Ian...

your grandfather didn't happen to be an inventor who bore a resemblance to Peter Cushing, by chance?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Box of Bunnies posted:

your grandfather didn't happen to be an inventor who bore a resemblance to Peter Cushing, by chance?

Knowing his luck he was the CGI Cushing from Rogue One instead of Doctor Who.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

howe_sam posted:

The Doctor's Wife is a really good episode of television.

gently caress yes. And the closing scene of the Doctor asking if she is still there, and getting his answer... :discourse:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
How come your writes up for the "year of the specials" so sparse, Jerusalem? I love reading your thoughts on each episodes only to see a small paragraph for each.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rirse posted:

How come your writes up for the "year of the specials" so sparse, Jerusalem? I love reading your thoughts on each episodes only to see a small paragraph for each.

When I first started doing these things it was literally,"Hey I just watched an episode here's what I thought" and it would be like a paragraph and that was it. Then they got longer (and longer and loooooonger) as I kept doing them, and they weren't all done in order so some are real brief and I may revisit them some day and give them a rewrite.

But there's so much audio to listen to!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

When I first started doing these things it was literally,"Hey I just watched an episode here's what I thought" and it would be like a paragraph and that was it. Then they got longer (and longer and loooooonger) as I kept doing them, and they weren't all done in order so some are real brief and I may revisit them some day and give them a rewrite.

But just the old favorites aye.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

code:
CALCULATING... CALCULATING... From Your Current Position, Listening Time Is As Follows:

Monthly Range: 135 Hours  
8DA:  36 Hours
4DA: 40 Hours

Not Counting Specials Or Spinoffs...

Too Much Data! Overloading...
/

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

But just the old favorites aye.

If I were you... oh if I were you!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jerusalem posted:

gently caress yes. And the closing scene of the Doctor asking if she is still there, and getting his answer... :discourse:

I've always loved Amy's reaction to learning Idris is the Tardis.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Biting's excellent. It's like kissing. Only there's a winner."

And hearing the TARDIS saying she loves her stolen Time Lord is quite heartbreaking
It also makes Davros' attempted destruction of her back in Series 3 that much more horrifying

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vinylshadow posted:

"Biting's excellent. It's like kissing. Only there's a winner."

And hearing the TARDIS saying she loves her stolen Time Lord is quite heartbreaking
It also makes Davros' attempted destruction of her back in Series 3 that much more horrifying

It also makes Pertwee removing the console to try and get it working again a bit weird too.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Doctor Who basically led to my career. See, I was born just before it went off air and grew up in the wilderness years, watching repeats. When I was very little my Grandad had cancer and I wanted to know who the men who were walking around looking after him were and found out they were doctors. I was 5, I thought you could get a TARDIS of you studied really hard at school.

Well that didn't last long but that idea about medicine stuck and now I'm a doctor. Still no TARDIS though...

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

https://twitter.com/dwcoverstory/status/955058539936043008

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

EdBlackadder posted:

Doctor Who basically led to my career. See, I was born just before it went off air and grew up in the wilderness years, watching repeats. When I was very little my Grandad had cancer and I wanted to know who the men who were walking around looking after him were and found out they were doctors. I was 5, I thought you could get a TARDIS of you studied really hard at school.

Well that didn't last long but that idea about medicine stuck and now I'm a doctor. Still no TARDIS though...

Yeah, speaking as someone who went into the sciences having a sciency role model probably helped a lot

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

I mean, Colin Baker too - I have the 6 outfit - but basically I never really had any sense of how I wanted to dress or present myself until Twelve's later-season hoodie-and-button-up stuff came around. I got more confident, made more friends, got a nice job.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, Colin Baker too - I have the 6 outfit - but basically I never really had any sense of how I wanted to dress or present myself until Twelve's later-season hoodie-and-button-up stuff came around. I got more confident, made more friends, got a nice job.

That's awesome :)

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

At least it fits the quality of Black Orchid.

That's such a weird episode. The scenes of the cast relaxing and goofing off are good, but the rest of it is so under-done. Even as a psudeo-historical it's odd.

DoctorWhat posted:

Neat dude :)
I'm glad it's left a positive impact on your life. And punk-rocker magician is a good look.

Silly as it's gonna sound, Doctor Who was one of the factors that helped my come to terms with my own sexuality. Having characters acknowledging and not raising a big fuss over bi/gay/queer characters, and just accepting it in media, really helps.

[e]:

EdBlackadder posted:

And this is pretty sweet :unsmith:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 21, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Lou_Jameson/status/954852274156789760

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Box of Bunnies posted:

Sadly not. But he was called Peter...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just started Shada for the first time. I'm not going to be able to survive this hat.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rhyno posted:

I rewatched the Eleventh Hour this morning and it's still so much fun.

Just hit this episode after it serving as the introduction to Doctor Who to me a few years ago when my brother showed me it years ago. Yeah it's still a great episode, and does make a great starting point for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He was at somebody's house and just started pulling those cats out of his pockets. Never said a word, never broke eye contact, never stopped laughing.

• Locked thread