Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
lol of course as soon as I posted that, I discovered that moving out of the ocean biome puts The Duke into godmode (was just trying to avoid him in the UFO, not paying attention to where I was on the map). Turns out I was flying too high to notice the biome change.

RIP Duke, now I know how to farm you. Now all that's really left is the Moon Lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Moon Lord is completely trivial with the Vortex pillar stuff and Chlorobullets. I was shocked how much easier it made him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo I killed him. Killed Moon Lord :woop: Used the Vampire Knives to start, then switched to chlorophite bullets with the chain gun with super healing potions to finish it off. It took me a number of tries but eventually it paid off. God was that a rush, what a great game :allears: Time to get started on the rest of those achievements :getin:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

Holy poo poo I killed him. Killed Moon Lord :woop: Used the Vampire Knives to start, then switched to chlorophite bullets with the chain gun with super healing potions to finish it off. It took me a number of tries but eventually it paid off. God was that a rush, what a great game :allears: Time to get started on the rest of those achievements :getin:
... Why did you switch? Your armor set should have had a set bonus which significantly boosted one of the two.

And now you can craft even better aromr with the luminite the Moon Lord dropped and some fragments from a pillar! :getin:

90s Shoes
Jan 30, 2014
is there even more content coming for this game, do we know?

also, what's the absolute best start you can hope for/pull off by, say, the end of night two in this game now?

I ask these questions cuz i'm probably gonna start a new campaign and I haven't played since hard mode came out and I beat super skeleton or whatever

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
End of night 2? Meteor set. It's easy to smash some pots to get some bombs and make a meteor drop.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I crafted some jester arrows and used them to kill brain of cthulu twice in a row on either the second night or morning after, I had absolutely no other equipment save for a stack of shurikens I bought to ward off the dumb spiders while I set up a crude arena

Of course this is equally possible with eater of worlds, probably a bit easier in fact

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 19, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zereth posted:

... Why did you switch? Your armor set should have had a set bonus which significantly boosted one of the two.

And now you can craft even better aromr with the luminite the Moon Lord dropped and some fragments from a pillar! :getin:

The vampire knives were doing fine but it was going slow :shrug: with my buffs I switched to the chain gun when i got down to only one target since it was homing with chlorophite bullets. The super potions on top of regen worked really well. I probably should have gotten good ranger armor but hey, it worked out in the end!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, so the halloween and christmas events: I need some sort of arena for them right? With post-moon lord gear I'm barely getting hurt, the problem is time. I started the pumpkin event right at 7:30 and only got to wave 15, the christmas one was worse, I think 10 or 11.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ok, so the halloween and christmas events: I need some sort of arena for them right? With post-moon lord gear I'm barely getting hurt, the problem is time. I started the pumpkin event right at 7:30 and only got to wave 15, the christmas one was worse, I think 10 or 11.

Arenas help but really they're kind of obsolete at this point. They were intended as endgame content back when Golem was the end and have never been rebalanced.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

Arenas help but really they're kind of obsolete at this point. They were intended as endgame content back when Golem was the end and have never been rebalanced.

So just chug a battle potion and plant a water candle somewhere>?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They don't work on events. You need to either be really efficient killing things or have others helping out.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

They don't work on events. You need to either be really efficient killing things or have others helping out.

welp neither of those are gonna happen so guess I'll have to forget about those achievements :smith:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GobiasIndustries posted:

And now that you've beat the entire game vanilla, time to tack on some of the excellent mods that the community has created over the years and start all over again!

Just, uh, stay away from Tremor.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

What's wrong with tremor?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GobiasIndustries posted:

welp neither of those are gonna happen so guess I'll have to forget about those achievements :smith:
Moon lord gear is going to help a lot. I recommend farming him for a SDMG and making vortex armor and going to town.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

NachtSieger posted:

What's wrong with tremor?

Man, what ISN'T wrong with Tremor? Ugly biome, uninspired new items, laughably terrible bosses (seriously what is up with that corn) and worst of all, terribly optimized and will make your modded playthrough a lot heavier just by being around. Of the 4 big names it's easily the worst.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Oh well, I'm using Calamity and Thorium anyways :v:

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
After trying all the big additional content mods I keep coming back because of the mods that add RPG elements, and expand crafting on gear. I don't remember the name of the mod, but whichever allows your gear to roll more than 1 modifier up to like 4 or 5 very rarely is super fun. Mostly because one of the mods that can roll is Luck which influences how common the super rare mods are, so you end up with a set of "crafting" gear with super high luck scores, and a set of murder gear with godly stats.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I'm getting back into the game after having left it alone for a couple years, what're all the big good mods besides Thorium?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thompsons posted:

I'm getting back into the game after having left it alone for a couple years, what're all the big good mods besides Thorium?

Magic Storage is your lord and savior, Spirit, Calamity, GRealm, Fargo's Mutant Mod makes farming bosses easier, Veinminer makes digging less of a chore. Boss checklist, Item Stats+, Better Buffs, Which Mod is This From? and What Ammo Does This Shoot? are required utility mods imo.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 20, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thompsons posted:

Besides what was mentioned above, Auto-Trash is a fantastic new addition and I really like Boxinator since I've never been big on actually building stuff for my NPCs and you need like a billion houses with mods anyways.

Alchemist NPC is a good one if you don't like having to go through the effort of actually making your own garden for potions and such. For content I'm playing around with a couple of the newer mods on the block but they haven't really impressed me so far. Terraria Overhaul is a whole big thing all of its own that you either love or despise, but it's worth giving a try, keeping in mind it changes the core gameplay rather radically which makes it somewhat incompatible with the design of basically every other mod.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Almost forgot about Omniswing, because gently caress giving yourself carpal tunnel trying to fight stuff.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ah and you reminded me of one of the mods I've been actually rather liking, Weapon Out. Besides doing what it says on the tin (which, while a small thing, is surprisingly cool), it also adds some neat new weapon categories such as a fist weapons with a combo system and special moves which are kinda cool if not very efficient. Fun to mess around with at any rate. Your post reminded me of it because it includes an item that you can toggle to turn omniswing on or off.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I never liked Calamity much. Its later bosses are tremendously sadistic and unfun to fight and the items in it are hellaciously power creepy; it just doesn't feel like it slots into the game's power curve at all, whereas Thorium feels like it fits perfectly.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

I never liked Calamity much. Its later bosses are tremendously sadistic and unfun to fight and the items in it are hellaciously power creepy; it just doesn't feel like it slots into the game's power curve at all, whereas Thorium feels like it fits perfectly.
My last big modded playthrough petered out when I looked up "okay beat the moon lord, now what" and looked up details on some of the Calamity bosses I had coming up and decided "you know I have other things I could be doing"

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kanos posted:

Weirdly in a super modded playthrough I did with some friends, Thorium items were actually some of the most OP ones. Admittedly the post Moon Lord stuff is dominated by Calamity, but that's just because Thorium doesn't extend far after that. The Black set of weapons is stronger for its point in the progression than anything from any other mod. And while the super late post Moon Lord bosses can be very tough, I do like Calamity's additions to the earlier game overall, and it's actually sort of entertaining to have bosses that put up a serious fight. It's not for everyone, admittedly, but for crazy people like me Calamity's Revengeance Mode adds a lot to the experience since even Expert had started to get way too easy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think thorium has one post-moon-lord boss, which drops some crafting materials to make armor sets and such. I'm not sure how good they are because I was ranged and it pushed my SDMG over the magic attack speed breakpoint where it stops working entirely.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You could make points against most of the major content mods but I think of the Big Five (Calamity, GRealm, Tremor, Thorium, Spirit) some are definitely better than others. Calamity is one of the better put together ones but the endgame power bloat is completely ridiculous. GRealm offers a lot of new side content but none of it ever felt like it was worth going into and too many items only existed to make one too-little-too-late armor set or redundant weapon type. Tremor always felt really shoddy and half finished to me. Thorium is a little all over the place and lacks polish but has some really clever ideas implemented. Spirit is kind of light but I like a lot of what it offers, especially the upgradeable suite of class weapons (though they do have balance issues).

Definitely get Stack Size plus, though. That's one QoL mod I can't recommend enough.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 21, 2018

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So of those, Thorium looks the most interesting. That said, I'm generally bad at the game once hardmode starts. Does it smooth out the progression a bit? I frequently find that I only get through bosses by exploiting a single gimmick, and then once I beat them the first time, they're cake afterward with the gear I get. I don't need to be able to steamroll things before I get to them, but I feel like a lot of what I could really use on any given hardmode boss is locked BEHIND that boss and I just wind up getting my rear end kicked.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Saxophone posted:

So of those, Thorium looks the most interesting. That said, I'm generally bad at the game once hardmode starts. Does it smooth out the progression a bit? I frequently find that I only get through bosses by exploiting a single gimmick, and then once I beat them the first time, they're cake afterward with the gear I get. I don't need to be able to steamroll things before I get to them, but I feel like a lot of what I could really use on any given hardmode boss is locked BEHIND that boss and I just wind up getting my rear end kicked.

How to hardmode: make a mad dash for your original corruption biome, break 6-12 altars then go hang out in hell collecting the new ores. Figure out how to farm mimics, souls, etc once you get full adamantite gear. Make an onyx blaster and a ton of crystal bullets. maybe kill hallowed mimics til you get daedalus stormbow and make a ton of holy arrows. Murder mechanical bosses. Collect life fruit and make a big dumb jungle arena, bonus points if you wire up some teleporters for it. Make infinity+1 chlorophyte bullets. Murder Plantera and Golem. Get Truffle to show up and make shroomite armor. Do the UFO invasion til you get the xenopopper and cosmic car keys, nothing there can do anything about a thin wall. Start the endgame, make vortex beater asap. Run the gently caress away from moonlord in your ufo, your chlorophyte bullets mean you don't even need to aim. good job now figure out how to do it with melee and magic on your own.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

662 dead Dark Mummies on this world alone and still no megaphone, this is getting silly.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ThaumPenguin posted:

662 dead Dark Mummies on this world alone and still no megaphone, this is getting silly.

It's okay to cheat in the Ankh Shield once you get through a significant chunk of hard mode because the farming requirement for it is extremely stupid for how important the item is, especially for modded games.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
HOLY poo poo I did not expect the Eye's behavior when we started an Expert adventure.

Definitely scared the group.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Xenaero posted:

HOLY poo poo I did not expect the Eye's behavior when we started an Expert adventure.

Definitely scared the group.

Just remember that for every boss.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dis astranagant posted:

Just remember that for every boss.

It has been so long since I played Normal mode I don't remember any of the other differences between them. I just remember the Eye because it's the most obvious, I feel.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kanos posted:

It's okay to cheat in the Ankh Shield once you get through a significant chunk of hard mode because the farming requirement for it is extremely stupid for how important the item is, especially for modded games.
There's some mod which lets you make rare items like ankh shield components out of a banner for the creature at a Solidifier, which I found really helpful.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'd honestly be happy with a mod that just increased spawn rates of items, but that banner crafting mod sounds good too

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think it might be part of a mod which also does that? I forget which mod caused it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Zereth posted:

I think it might be part of a mod which also does that? I forget which mod caused it.

I THINK crafting stuff from banners is from Fargo's? It's really helpful in general for a lot of different stuff, especially since it makes banners something actually useful. You can do stuff like convert slime banners into big stacks of gel, for instance.