Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Norns posted:

Just lmao if you don't play this high as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Well I have the New Monarchy ship and Speeder bike now, guess I can quit the faction rally forever.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
hottake: the ship model they chose is a reskin of my least favorite dawning ship.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Judge Tesla posted:

Well I have the New Monarchy ship and Speeder bike now, guess I can quit the faction rally forever.

Try for the ghost. It has a dope little lion head on it.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
The NM Titan mark with the ornament enabled looks pretty sweet. Id rock that.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The entire game is designed around being a slow rear end bitch with no supers or nades and two boring guns that just shoot

All the mods in the world won’t change the fact that the enemies just sit there and do nothing and the pvp is 4v4 crap

I hoped strikes in D2 would be more chaotic and fun like the Omnigul strike with the Hive rush and the staircase fight in Undying Mind but instead they focused on more raid-lite mechanics which really sucks. I get that people like raids but some parts of certain strikes in Destiny really zeroed in on what made the game good and that's lots of enemies, lots of supers going off, a really chaotic environment and orbs everywhere. When you slow everything down the whole thing falls apart which sucks because when the core gameplay loop actually gets turning it's really engaging. Who the gently caress wants to jump through hoops or collect stupid ether trails or whatever, just flood the screen with enemies and let people go nuts.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Seriously though where is the loving firefight gamemode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was at my buddy's house last night and he and I played some COD: Infinite Warfare, and the multiplayer mode on that is so insanely fun. I cannot aim with my thumbs competitively at all, but it was still a fun time.

I really can't stand how you just die instantly if anyone looks at you, but the different game modes available really highlight how anemic D2 pvp is, and I got pretty salty when i aw how much cooler than spaceman-robot armor looks than ours does. They have a mode where everytime you kill someone you automatically switch to a different weapon, and its so neat and creative I got sucked in for an hour.

To that end, the people who were posting screenshots of sweet Destiny 1 gear compared to our current gear really drive that point home.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The best thing about the staircase encounter was the pool of orbs constantly rolling to the bottom of the stairs. It would probably translate really well to D2 because with masterworks you might have enough orbs to actually use your super more than once.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 21, 2018

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Bust Rodd posted:

I was at my buddy's house last night and he and I played some COD: Infinite Warfare, and the multiplayer mode on that is so insanely fun. I cannot aim with my thumbs competitively at all, but it was still a fun time.

I really can't stand how you just die instantly if anyone looks at you, but the different game modes available really highlight how anemic D2 pvp is, and I got pretty salty when i aw how much cooler than spaceman-robot armor looks than ours does. They have a mode where everytime you kill someone you automatically switch to a different weapon, and its so neat and creative I got sucked in for an hour.

To that end, the people who were posting screenshots of sweet Destiny 1 gear compared to our current gear really drive that point home.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Bring back stat distributions

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I never got WotM but didn't that introduce those artifacts based on the Iron Lords that allowed even more customization to builds and was considered to be really good? Shame they simplified everything rather than giving people more options for building unique classes.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

SUNKOS posted:

I never got WotM but didn't that introduce those artifacts based on the Iron Lords that allowed even more customization to builds and was considered to be really good? Shame they simplified everything rather than giving people more options for building unique classes.

Yeah but In classic Bungie fashion one was hosed up in pvp (Skorri, that increased super regen for close teammates, which lead to 3 stormcallera camping back of the map in a huddle for super) and they took forever and a day to address it, and then threw the entire concept out with the bathwater in D2.

Edit: they were all awesome and fun for PvE

Pozload Escobar fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 21, 2018

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I disagree about the strikes, they're one of the best parts of D2. But there are less of them so you end up doing Pyramidion over and over so it gets not fun even though it's a fun strike on its own. Also the modifiers are boring except for the one that recharges your abilities faster

People complained about early D1 strikes in that there were no mechanics and all you did was shoot stuff, so you can't win I guess.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Within the current situation of D2, I think the CoO strikes are actually really good and fun

Edit: aside from the infinite forest parts

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Roman posted:

I disagree about the strikes, they're one of the best parts of D2. But there are less of them so you end up doing Pyramidion over and over so it gets not fun even though it's a fun strike on its own. Also the modifiers are boring except for the one that recharges your abilities faster

People complained about early D1 strikes in that there were no mechanics and all you did was shoot stuff, so you can't win I guess.

never forget sprint lock

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Roman posted:

Pyramidion is alright, but it's becoming rote.
Inverted Spire has the funnest boss.
Arms dealer has the funnest zone.
Void Dam sucks sucks sucks.
Savathun's Song sucks sucks sucks.
Exodos Black sucks sucks sucks worse than all of the other poo poo combined.

So really you've got a 50/50 chance of just having a terrible experience in strikes.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Within the current situation of D2, I think the CoO strikes are actually really good and fun

Playing the story over again was a lazy loving terrible poo poo bad design decision. They could have resurrected a mini-vault of glass experience for us where we fight corrupted version of our former selves or some poo poo, but no... lets just rehash the campaign levels because we're flaming garbage people who can't be bothere to make a complete expansion.

Also, everything in the forrest bridge zones is skip-it-grade trash.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 21, 2018

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I think the loving infinite forest was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Its such a goddamn disappointment. And every room feels like a slog/you can just book through 90% of it so why bother.

Like so much in D2 its like gently caress guys if youd put half a seconds loving effort into this itd been real cool but i guess you were off stocking the tokens or sonething

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

ZeusCannon posted:

I think the loving infinite forest was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Its such a goddamn disappointment. And every room feels like a slog/you can just book through 90% of it so why bother.

Like so much in D2 its like gently caress guys if youd put half a seconds loving effort into this itd been real cool but i guess you were off stocking the tokens or sonething

At least the infinite forest is new, even if it’s a misfire.

loving lmao and lol and lul at the second level of CoO being the loving pyramidion strike, but not. Bungie sucks rear end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chilichimp posted:

Void Dam sucks sucks sucks.

Aside from the taken dickwalls, no

quote:

Savathun's Song sucks sucks sucks.

Lol no It's the best strike in the game

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

haveblue posted:

Lol get out of here u ugly piece of work, no way

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

It certainly has the worst NPC that you can't see

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Aside from the taken dickwalls, no

Taken enemies are the worst in the game and aside from the fun of watching your bros get owned by the pusher blasts, the fun of that fades as your dumb friends familiarize themselves with the content.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

It certainly has the worst NPC that you can't see

"GET AWAY FROM HIM! I WON'T LET YOU TRANSFORM HIM!"

Also, so the audio files are somewhat randomized for these strikes... has anyone else noticed how alot of the time they... don't... really... go together?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Chilichimp posted:

"GET AWAY FROM HIM! I WON'T LET YOU TRANSFORM HIM!"

Also, so the audio files are somewhat randomized for these strikes... has anyone else noticed how alot of the time they... don't... really... go together?

i think the queue points for the snippets are a bit hosed, it seems like two kinda unrelated clips go off in quick succession when you plow through quickly, and it's bad

im glad one of the priorities for CoO was adding new monkey-cheese dialogue for all the old strikes :thumbsup:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One big reason to miss The Dawning- snowballs in strikes would bypass taken goblin shields.

Savathun is good because:

-No weird booby traps
-You get to do cool dunks
-Multiple paths chosen at random
-Best environment

Chilichimp posted:

The dialogue queue priority is hosed so if you trigger a new event before the exchange from the previous event is finished playing out the lines from the second one run before any remaining lines in the first.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

i think the queue points for the snippets are a bit hosed, it seems like two kinda unrelated clips go off in quick succession when you plow through quickly, and it's bad

i realized this during one of the CoO streams, everything is queued for walking speed which is something no one but deej does on stream

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah but In classic Bungie fashion one was hosed up in pvp (Skorri, that increased super regen for close teammates, which lead to 3 stormcallera camping back of the map in a huddle for super) and they took forever and a day to address it, and then threw the entire concept out with the bathwater in D2.

Edit: they were all awesome and fun for PvE
People abused them so I think Bungie have swung way too far in the other direction of not adding power to anything, incase people work out overpowered combos. And that just means that everything feels loving bland.

Roman posted:

I disagree about the strikes, they're one of the best parts of D2. But there are less of them so you end up doing Pyramidion over and over so it gets not fun even though it's a fun strike on its own.
I actually liked that they added a couple of the missions as strikes in CoO (I mean yeah it was lazy, but anything to increase the anaemic pool of strikes). I think they should either:

- Make strike versions of every campaign mission (no loving way their toolset will give them any kind of reasonable timescale to do this),
- add a heroic difficulty playlist with matchmaking to ikoras meditations that has the entire pool of missions rather than just 2 or 3 a week.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

At least the infinite forest is new, even if it’s a misfire.

loving lmao and lol and lul at the second level of CoO being the loving pyramidion strike, but not. Bungie sucks rear end.
The whole campaign is basically 'oh poo poo it's not here, lets play the loving infinite forest again.'

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I just thought I should warn everyone that if you have an Amazon Echo and if you don't play with a headset that I WILL scream over the party chat for your Amazon account to order a 50 gallon drum of lube.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

This was me playing as CoO went live, jokingly making reference to the news the two new strikes are modified and used as story missions.

cvnvcnv posted:

No poo poo some story missions from CoO are strikes because this mission so far is straight-up just running the Pyramidion lmao

I was in loving disbelief, especially considering every line of drat dialogue about the place is about how it changes and this-n-that. Like, I've seen video of people glitching into new/unused areas of the Pyramidion play space and yet we got the strike unchanged but there being zero danger all the way through.

Idefk.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

im glad one of the priorities for CoO was adding new monkey-cheese dialogue for all the old strikes :thumbsup:

Not only did they add monkey cheese, they didn't remove old stuff that doesn't make sense anymore. "it sounded like... No.... OSIRIS!!"

Bitch you were just on the Space Phone with him 8 minutes ago

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Not only did they add monkey cheese, they didn't remove old stuff that doesn't make sense anymore. "it sounded like... No.... OSIRIS!!"

Bitch you were just on the Space Phone with him 8 minutes ago

Ugh. I'm still salty that they built up this character over like 3 years of Destiny lore, made him out to be this dangerous dude who was the only guardian ever to be exiled from the last city! Oh man, I wonder what sort of poo poo he did to get exiled, must be pretty bad!

And then it turns out that he got exiled because he warned everybody about the Vex too hard and his followers were assholes.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
the grimoire made it pretty clear that he was exiled for heretical thought just like toland

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Ugh. I'm still salty that they built up this character over like 3 years of Destiny lore, made him out to be this dangerous dude who was the only guardian ever to be exiled from the last city! Oh man, I wonder what sort of poo poo he did to get exiled, must be pretty bad!

And then it turns out

He's helpless, creating more problems than he's fixing, and is such a pompous oval office that he won't return to the Last City to face up to anything real but oops! he created a doomsday simulation scenario and is fine to call a few real Guardians in to wipe his rear end.

Even his loving Ghost is like, "Yeah, he's really just an egomaniac."

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
The Inverted Spire strike seems to me to have been designed specifically for demos and such. Like, it covers way more ground and set pieces than any of the other strikes.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Even Halo 2 managed to add brutes and some new enemies to fight. Playing on Boxer mode and slapping those gorillas around the map was good times. I have to chuckle about how they literally just reskinned Vex enemies into old-timey and futuristic versions in D2

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
the dam taken strike is the best, cuz even though the taken are the worst, it is just pure 100% combat. Like the enemy density is the highest in the game, and with masterwork weapons you poo poo out supers at almost D1 rates. Also the bit where you go along the outside of the dam is cool.

And the boss is one of the few where you don't need to do any stupid mechanics that pause the battle, you can just burn him down, and it has good music.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

I'm super looking forward to meeting Toland and finding out he's really just a pretty nice, chill guy who needs our help super bad and really saying he was exiled is maybe a bit harsh he just kinda liked the hive sauce a bit much so everyone agreed he should take some time off but then people started those weird rumors of him being a bit cray cray which is silly because Toland is a super normal guy and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

the dam taken strike is the best, cuz even though the taken are the worst, it is just pure 100% combat. Like the enemy density is the highest in the game, and with masterwork weapons you poo poo out supers at almost D1 rates. Also the bit where you go along the outside of the dam is cool.

And the boss is one of the few where you don't need to do any stupid mechanics that pause the battle, you can just burn him down, and it has good music.

Yep