Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Griz posted:

you could probably get 70 now by using all that for leve turn-ins (if not, you also get kudzu vines as reward so you can just make more)

I'm working on Kudzu Cloth now and i just hit 69. I started this on lv 60 or 61, so i got almost all the way just purely on crafting poo poo.

I ain't gonna quit now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I hope you are using crafting manuals for 200% bonus exp, and squadron buffs for an extra 20%.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tenik posted:

I hope you are using crafting manuals for 200% bonus exp, and squadron buffs for an extra 20%.

I already burned though all the ~30 or so rank 3 manuals that the crafting quests gave me, the ones that give like 250% exp up to 300k.

I'm now using the rank 4 ones from squadrons, which last 2 hours for 20% bonus i think.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

No we have DK MTing and yeah I'm coming off of BRD with no real experience other than what you get from leveling and trials

...uh, no.

There is no real MT in Savage. There is only "the tank that is currently getting beaten on until a tank swap is needed" and "the tank that pulls first so that the other tank can Provoke off them and then get Shirked for a heavy threat lead" Sometimes these two are the same tank, sometimes they are not. In your case, I strongly suspect not, but that is entirely up to your group's particular dynamics.

Even if there are no explicit tank-swap mechanics, a good thing to do is to swap tanks anyways occasionally anyways, so that the one that just got done getting beaten on can let their cooldowns come back. Again, entirely up to your group's particular dynamics.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 21, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...uh, no.

There is no real MT in Savage. There is only "the tank that is currently getting beaten on until a tank swap is needed" and "the tank that pulls first so that the other tank can Provoke off them and then get Shirked for a heavy threat lead" Sometimes these two are the same tank, sometimes they are not. In your case, I strongly suspect not, but that is entirely up to your group's particular dynamics.

Even if there are no explicit tank-swap mechanics, a good thing to do is to swap tanks anyways occasionally anyways, so that the one that just got done getting beaten on can let their cooldowns come back. Again, entirely up to your group's particular dynamics.

One tank is going to be tanking more than the other in every fight in this game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah i’ve been the off tank through this expansion. Of course i tank the boss from time to time, but on two of the four savage fights i’m only ever tanking the boss if our MT died. Otherwise i just dps and throw shields on the MT as needed.

PLD can provide a lot of remote mitigation thanks to intervention and sentinal/rampart integration along with cover.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Have they mentioned if they're going to unlock the weekly drop cap for Rabanastre in 4.2?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

PLD should never pull and WAR should always pull but beyond that there are no hard and fast rules for who is MT and OT. Just do whatever works for your group.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WrightOfWay posted:

PLD should never pull and WAR should always pull but beyond that there are no hard and fast rules for who is MT and OT. Just do whatever works for your group.

Please elaborate.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Even at the very best case, Paladin loses a GCD in their opener to switch to sword oath.

Warriors on the other hand oGCD equillibrium for absurd threat, and switch to deliverance oCGD as well. DRKs can also drop grit oGCD.

Paladin pulling works, but in a optimized run they're behind the other tanks.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
War can get a huge aggro lead quickly with Infuriate/Berserk/Unchained/Onslaught. Pld can ?????

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Thundarr posted:

You're leaving something like 30% of your damage potential on the floor if you ignore positionals.

Don't ignore your positionals.

Yeah. I never do. I just never tested it out to see how much of a difference it makes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leofish posted:

Have they mentioned if they're going to unlock the weekly drop cap for Rabanastre in 4.2?

Assuming they follow the usual pattern, the lock will be lifted in 4.3

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

cheetah7071 posted:

That makes sense. There's still a lot of lovely armor I want from that place.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Given that the Savage drop cap was dropped already and 4.2 is going to immediately make Rab equipment irrelevant it would be pretty silly for them to keep it capped. I'm pretty sure the CT drop cap was dropped in the patch prior to WoD, so that would correspond to dropping the Rab cap in 4.2

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pretty sure all 24 mans remove their weekly caps a patch after they come out.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay posted:

this is especially egregious because PLD attracts all the im-the-main-character types and WAR attracts all the blue-dps types

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kuvo posted:

War can get a huge aggro lead quickly with Infuriate/Berserk/Unchained/Onslaught. Pld can ?????

While we're on this, can i mention how much it sucks that you can only infuriate in combat now?

Which also makes that line of events questionable

edit: i never considered Equilibrium for pulls tho, that's a good one.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 21, 2018

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
idk tomahawk or walk close to the boss or something

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
warriors are the class that can comfortably pull with only one GCD spent in tank stance if they have ninja support. tomahawk + equilibrium is crazy.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

They're also buffing Diversion to something huge like 90% threat reduction for 30 seconds.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finally, after the 3rd time i've ever seen it drop, i got Nightmare.

Won it with a roll of 54. Ponies complete.

Is there a Nightmare-like bird or are they all primal-bound?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

HenryEx posted:

e: nm, forgot Nightmare isn't the 'completion' horse.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Reiterpallasch posted:

this is especially egregious because PLD attracts all the im-the-main-character types and WAR attracts all the blue-dps types

I'm a paladin and I'm the main character of Final Fantasy XIV, but that's not mutually exclusive with being a blue dps (since I'm one of those, too)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Actually, I think you'll find that Nero tol Scaeva is the main character

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Minfillia was the main character and look what happened to her.

I'll kill your god if I have to. Maybe even if I don't indeed.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo the intro to the Warriors of Darkness was cool as gently caress. Seeing Fire 3 in context was also loving cool.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't so hot on the SB Warrior questline so far. Well, you know, the golf swing was great, but the pacing of the quests between 60 and 70 was really off.

But the 70 quest is :allears:

So many axes. So many buzzsaws. So many 💗 💖 💕. :allears:

They really learned how to theatrically arrange these solo battle scenarios.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

HenryEx posted:

I wasn't so hot on the SB Warrior questline so far. Well, you know, the golf swing was great, but the pacing of the quests between 60 and 70 was really off.

Now if only they would let you repeat some of them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

HenryEx posted:

There are no other Nightmare variants. That said, the Stormblood mounts drop as frequently as Nightmare.

Have fun. :shepicide:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HenryEx posted:

The worst part about that duty was noticing that NPC warriors still have Fracture.

Everything else about it was great though.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
One thing a tank might want to try to get used going into savage tanking is the concept of mapping everything you do. Find a timeline for the fight (often available within days of release) and start planning every cooldown, boss reposition, and tank swap. Once you have a framework for competently tanking the fight, you take a lot of the mental gymnastics out of things and can focus on things like dps or general raid awareness.

This may seem like a lot of work, but hey, welcome to tanking, where the rotation is dead simple and all the difficulty is in what you do before you even pull.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Why is A8S harder than A12S? What the gently caress is this fight? :supaburn:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Why is A8S harder than A12S? What the gently caress is this fight? :supaburn:

They didn't finalize what "savage" difficulty really meant until A12--before throwing Ultimates into the mix, the people they tune Ultimates for were generally the expected audience of Savage. In addition, they tried listening to player feedback from certain sources that didn't actually represent player experience--rather, just the people on Reddit complaining something is too easy because it got cleared day 1, never mind whether that was even by someone the complainer knew.

So, for the first two tiers of Heavensward, Savage was brutal. A4 was an item level check; the mechanics aren't actually that bad, there's just no room for error if you're coming fresh off of a first A3 clear. Everyone realized this was an awful system for everyone involved, so Midas frontloaded the difficulty on the actual dance aspect. This hit a sweet spot of difficulty for a solid section of really dedicated statics and absolutely no one else. This was responsible for a drop in sub numbers and overcrowding of Gilgamesh, as entire servers were left without a raiding population when people who couldn't execute burnt out and the rest transferred to somewhere bigger to find a new static. Enter A12 and the savage difficulty we all know. When the Reddit crowd raised its heads again to complain that it was too easy for people they heard about in the abstract, the idea of Ultimate occurred to someone on the team, and we have our setup today.

It's been a really long process of both having the developer manpower on hand to put out the right amount of content, and to come to a full understanding that what people say about difficulty does not actually match up with what they end up doing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
What's the developer quote? "Listen to your players when they come to you with problems, but disregard their solutions" or something like that?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm Bismarck was a bad boring fight but it was a cool set piece

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

Hmmm Bismarck was a bad boring fight but it was a cool set piece

I'm so glad i got the Bismarck mount on my first ex clear, so i don't have to suffer through that fight again.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Hunter Noventa posted:

Now if only they would let you repeat some of them.

I would replay the Naadam like once a month. That was a great instance. There was also a Stormblood NIN quest that I liked a lot. I always get a kick out of the NPCs and some enemies in Kugane Castle popping the poisons.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What's the developer quote? "Listen to your players when they come to you with problems, but disregard their solutions" or something like that?

"Players have a really accurate view of the problems your game has, but they will have absolutely horrible ideas on how to fix those problems."

It's something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I did not expect the paladin job quest to turn into an episode of Highlander.

I'm still confused about that whole thing. Does that mean There Can Be Only One? What was the point of the elf boy? Was he raised just to be fed to the WoL?