Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what's keybase and who uses it?
it's like a website where you can post your gpg key and share it and cryptographically prove that you own a website/twitter/reddit/github/etc. it's about as widely used as gpg, so nobody really uses it.

https://keybase.io

e: uh i guess now it's a slack clone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

anthonypants posted:

it's like a website where you can post your gpg key and share it and cryptographically prove that you own a website/twitter/reddit/github/etc. it's about as widely used as gpg, so nobody really uses it.

https://keybase.io

e: uh i guess now it's a slack clone

yeah i had the same realization moment a while ago when one of my friends was all excited about "a chat client that uses gpg" and i'm like "but it's just some website where you post your gpg key..." and nope

i tried installing it and it asked to install a loving kernel extension for it's 'filesystem' and i'm like lol :getout:

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

yeah i had the same realization moment a while ago when one of my friends was all excited about "a chat client that uses gpg" and i'm like "but it's just some website where you post your gpg key..." and nope

i tried installing it and it asked to install a loving kernel extension for it's 'filesystem' and i'm like lol :getout:

the chat, the filesystem for sharing files with people, the encrypted git hosting, they seem to be building a giant tower of random ideas after they built the site to let social media accounts vouch for GPG keys

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
an encrypted filesystem driver doesn't seem all that bad to me

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

anthonypants posted:

an encrypted filesystem driver doesn't seem all that bad to me

For a chat app though.

Also, a chat app that needs a kernel module

Hell loving no

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

sounds like a good way in for more ransomware

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Father Jack posted:

have you noticed a performance hit?

we've seen massive performance hits across our entire infrastructure. the fallout from patching meltdown is going to cost us tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars a month just to tell our customers that we're secure against attacks that will most likely never be able to affect our instances.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dylan16807 posted:

the chat, the filesystem for sharing files with people, the encrypted git hosting, they seem to be building a giant tower of random ideas after they built the site to let social media accounts vouch for GPG keys

This sounds like a lot of business to be honest.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2018/01/security_breach.html

quote:

While the difference in stock price between the sampled breached companies and their peers was negative (1.13%) in the first 3 days following announcement of a breach, by the 14th day the return difference had rebounded to + 0.05%, and on average remained positive through the period assessed.
i mean, it's been pretty obvious this is the case, but it's good there's a study that confirms it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
smart companies get breached, for valuation purposes

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

infernal machines posted:

smart companies get breached, for valuation purposes

it proves they had something worth stealing!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sometimes i wish the whole world got ransomwared & we had an excuse for deleting everything </mr robot>

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Krankenstyle posted:

sometimes i wish the whole world got ransomwared & we had an excuse for deleting everything </mr robot>

We can start with you are posts

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Volmarias posted:

We can start with you are posts

boom

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blinkz0rz posted:

we've seen massive performance hits across our entire infrastructure. the fallout from patching meltdown is going to cost us tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars a month just to tell our customers that we're secure against attacks that will most likely never be able to affect our instances.

Curious about your workloads ? As far as I was aware the only place people have seen any kind of serious slowdown was on para-virtualised VMs ?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
we run a bunch of big cassandra clusters in aws and read and write latency has increased by about 20% which is consistent with what tlp benchmarked: http://thelastpickle.com/blog/2018/01/10/meltdown-impact-on-latency.html

we've also noticed that we've had to scale some of our services that are cpu bound by 1.5-2x to keep up with the load

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Blinkz0rz posted:

we run a bunch of big cassandra clusters in aws and read and write latency has increased by about 20% which is consistent with what tlp benchmarked: http://thelastpickle.com/blog/2018/01/10/meltdown-impact-on-latency.html

we've also noticed that we've had to scale some of our services that are cpu bound by 1.5-2x to keep up with the load

What type of instances and what ami ?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

i say we but really it's our platform engineering and product teams. i get to sit back and tell them to fix security problems

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jre posted:

What type of instances and what ami ?

we bake our own amis based on ubuntu 14 and run them on i2.4xlarge instances

e: for cassandra, that is. services vary in terms of instance type

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Are they HVM ? Based on talking to TAMs and our own tests that's a bigger than expected hit

I'd suggest trying a comparative bench with HVM amazon linux vs your own ami to see if the performance drop is the same

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

yes, exclusively

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://twitter.com/colebunzel/status/955121985188712449

https://twitter.com/colebunzel/status/955234643095244800

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That can't possibly be true, right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Xarn posted:

it’s true. according to super mega hardcore fundamentalists like Abu Windows up there, accepting a EULA means agreeing to settle disputes outside of a sharia court and therefore APOSTASY and death.

nobody thinks this outside of the inner circlejerk of ISIS

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xarn posted:

says poster on an internet forum, in a post 2016 world :allears:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Having someone else click through a eula is basically like those Jewish people who cheat at the Shabbat.

Maybe we can all get along after all.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Having someone else click through a eula is basically like those Jewish people who cheat at the Shabbat.

Maybe we can all get along after all.

i heard some orthodox have lobby boys push the elevator buttons for them because completing the circuit = starting a fire = work = jewish haram

also i don’t recall islam ever having issues trading with nonmuslims (afterall mecca is a historic trade route)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i heard some orthodox have lobby boys push the elevator buttons for them because completing the circuit = starting a fire = work = jewish haram

also i don’t recall islam ever having issues trading with nonmuslims (afterall mecca is a historic trade route)

There are unironically theological arguments about whether a motion activated light constitutes work or not, if it doesn't then people could stop leaving the lights on all weekend like the guy that used to live next door to my grandfather that kept jamming the hall light on every Friday night.

my grandfather, valuing cheapness over holiness, would sneak out and un jam it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

There's a shabbat mode on most elevators, where they'll stop and cycle the doors on each floor beginning at ground level on a loop.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
kosher lamps are one of my favourite silly things

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Motion activated lights are less work than uncovering an always‐lit Shabbat lamp.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Truga posted:

kosher lamps are one of my favourite silly things

you're not supposed to leave the house on the shabbat so jews hung a several mile long loop of string above new york city and called it a house

that's my favorite shabbat trick

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

fisting by many posted:

you're not supposed to leave the house on the shabbat so jews hung a several mile long loop of string above new york city and called it a house

:aaaaa: it's mine too now

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fisting by many posted:

yeah that one is such a “gently caress you god, we do what we want” lawyer move I love it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

fisting by many posted:

holy poo poo

want to be able to actually do things on the shabbat but also want to follow orthodox tradition? run twenty miles of fishing line around the border of manhattan so according to the torah, manhattan is your house!

that is legit brilliant

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the big print giveth and the small print taketh away

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

jre posted:

I'd suggest trying a comparative bench with HVM amazon linux vs your own ami to see if the performance drop is the same

that's the next step i think but our platform engineering team will have to update a bunch of our cookbooks because we do a lot of janky ubuntu-specific stuff

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

yeah the jewish interpretation of god is impressed by humans rules lawyering him, it's different from christianity where trying to pull a fast one on god is a good way to get dead

the new york eruv (the wire "house") costs like $100k/year to maintain and before the shabbat the people in charge of it do a drive-around to make sure the wire is intact and not in need of repairs or other maintenance

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

fisting by many posted:

It's called an eruv and it usually encompasses orthodox neighborhoods or small towns, not all of NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
It's either your house or a walled city

Manhattan is definitely not a house but definitely a city
So the real rules lawyering is calling that string a wall

Orange Hitler is probably going to do a similar thing, lol

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 22, 2018

• Locked thread