Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

The comments have even more gold:

awwww for fuuuck's saaakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
To be fair, iceberg lettuce is a garbage vegetable. Better to eat spinach or kale. :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We have picky eaters, picky sleepers, picky drinkers but do we have picky breathers? I want to believe somebody only huffs nitrogen less air and claims they will get violently ill if they have to breath regular air.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Clark Nova posted:

Is there any way to get this idiot fucker to understand that eventually his wonderful, patient girlfriend will stop trying to share the joy in her life with him? That he is the dealbreaker, he is undateable, and he deserves a life utterly alone, untroubled by the horrors of lettuce contamination?

His picky eating is bullshit level picky, but when the "joy in her life" is poo poo she 100% knows he won't eat and she pouts when he won't eat it, she's not sharing joy in her life. She's being an rear end in a top hat.

They're made for each other! Keep both the petty shits together and out of the dating pool.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Ugh, I would ditch that girl in a heartbeat. I'm a picky eater, but a big reason is because I have a hair-trigger gag reflex. If I eat something with a weird taste or texture, I will throw up right then and there. My parents learned that the hard way when I was a baby. It's my one mutant power.

my husband is like this except I'm fairly certain it's 95% psychological because he'll eat something with a weird texture he normally hates if it tastes good, or if he doesn't know it's in something, or if I prepare it differently... at least he tries stuff and eats more variety than he used to

but I hate it and it's a pain in my goddamn rear end. I can't imagine gagging on textures and tastes. the only thing I've ever really been uncomfortable with was some meatball dish my mom made that smells and tastes like vomit from the vinegar and ginger.

obviously if it's been a problem since you were a baby then that sucks, is probably difficult to change, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

joke's on picky eaters because food is delicious and trying new things is fun

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can pretty easily shake a kid of their picky eating habit by screaming at them :shrug:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Haifisch posted:

My mom [47F] wants me [26F] to invest in her business "plan" aimed at Millennials [20s/30s, M/F] but I have concerns over this and she's very aggressive/insistent over it. Money worries are cuasing me stress.

r/relationships: Millennials [20s/30s, M/F]

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Yawgmoth posted:

The fact that you're using £ instead of $ shows that you really don't even have the ability to know what the gently caress you're talking about. $30 is enough to break a significant amount of people's budgets over here in The Land Of The Free™ and while it's great that you can spend your way out of a "learning experience" a lot of people just loving can't. Until you've had to go put an onion back and get a smaller one because you can't afford it, you don't get to talk.

If you don't have the money to buy an onion then what the gently caress are you eating in the first place? Obviously nobody is advocating for you to learn to cook if you're in a loving homeless shelter or something but there's absolutely nothing wrong with expecting a college student or young person living out of home to go to Walmart and buy a couple of cheap pans then go and buy some food and learn to loving cook it instead of living of Hungry Man dinners and chicken tendies. When I first moved out of home, I bought a small saucepan for maybe $5 and a non-stick frypan for $10. The frypan has been replaced a few times but over 10 years later I still have the saucepan and use it multiple times a week. Even if my finances were so precarious that buying that pan caused me to miss a meal or two it would still be worthwhile in the long run.

Learning to cook and understanding that food is more than just frozen poo poo or fast food can allow you to save money and live healthily. I have times when my budget gets hosed by unexpected expenses and knowing how to cook means I can buy $10 worth of groceries that will feed me for two weeks until my next paycheck. People dismissing the ability to cook as something that's only accessible to bougie white people and to suggest otherwise is somehow ablest or privileged makes me so loving angry. Just learn to cook, Jesus, it's not that hard. Hell, if you're so poor that buying a goddamned saucepan will put you out on the street you could put aside a dollar a week and save up to buy that five dollar saucepan then start cooking things that require one or two ingredients. You don't need to go to Whole Foods and fill a trolley with groceries to cook for yourself.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants

Thanks for bringing up an argument from 40 pages ago.

My [31/F] bf [31/M] of 3.5 years has developed a severe garlic and onion allergy... how do I support him and figure out what to eat?

quote:

u/wontgohomeagain

My bf and I have a great relationship, minus a major food issue.

He's always been intolerant of garlic and onion, but when we met it was far more mild. I never even knew he allergic for the first year we dated. We ate garlic fries once and he got pretty sick, and that was the first time he admitted it to me.

It's become extremely bad in the past 5 months. He gets sick even from cooked garlic and onion. His worst episode happened recently (he was shivering and having full body spasms with severe abdominal pain, followed by an entire night of running to the toilet). I put my foot down after that. No more cooking with garlic or onion (which is devastating for me, because I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THE poo poo OUT OF THOSE INGREDIENTS). We've tried to be super careful at restaurants, but it's almost impossible to avoid them. This has lead to him pushing for us to just go ahead and do it, and him winding up sick.

I need some ideas about how best to support him so he doesn't feel like he's letting me down, or repressed and stuck eating bland food. Trying out the endless restaurants in our/nearby cities (we live in a foodie paradise land) was one of our favorite things to do together. It's been tough to find an evening activity to replace that. (We still do a lot of stuff that doesn't involve food, like hiking and drinking craft beer, but now we have to go back home after the bar and cook sanitized meals that neither of us are thrilled about, when both of us are in the mood to still be out).

I don't want to struggle with him because he gets frustrated with the impacts this is having on our lifestyle. I know he feels like a burden. But I would rather eat bland food then see him hurt.

tl;dr: bf became a vampire, delicious food was something we both shared a passion for, need coping strategies to support him and ideas for things that are still good to eat

:rip:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

The Snoo posted:

I can't imagine gagging on textures and tastes. the only thing I've ever really been uncomfortable with was some meatball dish my mom made that smells and tastes like vomit from the vinegar and ginger.
As a former picky eater, I can confirm that poo poo sucked.

It also mysteriously vanished after I decided it was a problem I needed to work on and started expanding my palate, even when it meant sometimes eating stuff I didn't like at first.

There's a reason it really gets me when picky eater redditors insist it's some 100% immutable trait. :v:

girl pants posted:

My [31/F] bf [31/M] of 3.5 years has developed a severe garlic and onion allergy... how do I support him and figure out what to eat?

:rip:
Jesus, being allergic to flavor seems like a fate worse than death. :gonk:

At least that's a good excuse to find some obscure cuisine that doesn't use onion or garlic at all?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Snoo posted:

my husband is like this except I'm fairly certain it's 95% psychological because he'll eat something with a weird texture he normally hates if it tastes good, or if he doesn't know it's in something, or if I prepare it differently... at least he tries stuff and eats more variety than he used to

but I hate it and it's a pain in my goddamn rear end. I can't imagine gagging on textures and tastes. the only thing I've ever really been uncomfortable with was some meatball dish my mom made that smells and tastes like vomit from the vinegar and ginger.

obviously if it's been a problem since you were a baby then that sucks, is probably difficult to change, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it

Eh, it's no biggie. I have a pretty good range of stuff I can eat, and I like cooking. Like, I can't eat raw tomato alone, but as long as it's balanced out with a salad or sandwich I'm good. I avoid stuff that grosses me out (sushi/sea urchin/tripe/etc.), and the stuff that gives me weird reactions. For some reason, both bay leaf and barley tea give me crippling migraines.

Part of the texture issue is having a vivid imagination. If I eat something and I imagine that it's how eating boogers would feel, my brain does thinks, "Are these boogers you're eating??? ABORT! ABORT! PURGE IMMEDIATELY!!!" Then I throw up.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

cyberia posted:

If you don't have the money to buy an onion then what the gently caress are you eating in the first place? Obviously nobody is advocating for you to learn to cook if you're in a loving homeless shelter or something but there's absolutely nothing wrong with expecting a college student or young person living out of home to go to Walmart and buy a couple of cheap pans then go and buy some food and learn to loving cook it instead of living of Hungry Man dinners and chicken tendies. When I first moved out of home, I bought a small saucepan for maybe $5 and a non-stick frypan for $10. The frypan has been replaced a few times but over 10 years later I still have the saucepan and use it multiple times a week. Even if my finances were so precarious that buying that pan caused me to miss a meal or two it would still be worthwhile in the long run.

Learning to cook and understanding that food is more than just frozen poo poo or fast food can allow you to save money and live healthily. I have times when my budget gets hosed by unexpected expenses and knowing how to cook means I can buy $10 worth of groceries that will feed me for two weeks until my next paycheck. People dismissing the ability to cook as something that's only accessible to bougie white people and to suggest otherwise is somehow ablest or privileged makes me so loving angry. Just learn to cook, Jesus, it's not that hard. Hell, if you're so poor that buying a goddamned saucepan will put you out on the street you could put aside a dollar a week and save up to buy that five dollar saucepan then start cooking things that require one or two ingredients. You don't need to go to Whole Foods and fill a trolley with groceries to cook for yourself.

it's just learned helplessness man

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

At least that's a good excuse to find some obscure cuisine that doesn't use onion or garlic at all?

I've learned from having met someone with this before it just makes you insanely into hot sauces and spices that normal people don't use because they have garlic and onions.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
There's an Indian food tradition that doesn't use onion or garlic and is good as hell, so I guess they should learn to love Indian food

And sushi maybe?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Barudak posted:

I've learned from having met someone with this before it just makes you insanely into hot sauces and spices that normal people don't use because they have garlic and onions.

Counterpoint: Hot sauces loving own.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm not really disagreeing, hot sauce rules.

A cousin of mine has like no sense of smell so basically the only flavor they can taste is hot sauce and by god they live that to its fullest.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

As a former picky eater, I can confirm that poo poo sucked.

It also mysteriously vanished after I decided it was a problem I needed to work on and started expanding my palate, even when it meant sometimes eating stuff I didn't like at first.

There's a reason it really gets me when picky eater redditors insist it's some 100% immutable trait. :v:

yeah I dunno if I would qualify my younger self as a picky eater, I was fine with plenty of green foods, but I absolutely hated the "texture" of tomatoes and onions. I felt like they ruined any food they were mixed with an was super resentful they were in p much everything.

In college through dating and friends I realized I was being a weird baby and basically forced myself to eat the stuff I previously thought I hated. Turns out with a few optimistic attempts understanding that having that stuff in my food should make it even better, miraculously I found it tasted okay and even grew to love it. Now I can eat an onion like a donkey if I want.

I think for the most part picky eaters have somehow tricked themselves into finding those foods inherently distasteful and so their revulsion is less about the food itself but more about them psyching themselves up that they're not going to enjoy it which is why it's p easy to trick them into eating taboo foods, they only react so strongly when they know the food is (or even was) there because it's purely in their heads.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Even the "super gross" foods like hakarl and natto aren't that bad. They're like, bleh. But no big deal. Just don't psych yourself out.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 22, 2018

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
Garlic is a migraine trigger for me. On my birthday I ate a dish that was seasoned with I think mostly garlic, and it was wonderful, and I was in horrible blinding pain for most of the next day. I miss garlic. :(

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

girl pants posted:

Garlic is a migraine trigger for me. On my birthday I ate a dish that was seasoned with I think mostly garlic, and it was wonderful, and I was in horrible blinding pain for most of the next day. I miss garlic. :(

You have my sincerest condolences.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I used to be That Picky Kid that wouldn't eat vegetables until I got over it (at 30, :lol:) but I still absolutely cannot stomach broccoli. It makes everything it touches taste like broccoli and it's in every frozen meal on earth, but I guess that's an excuse to just avoid eating frozen meals. :shrug:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Snoo posted:

Yeah I've got texture issues from the 'tism but luckily it's not debilitating.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

i strongly suspect autism

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

You have my sincerest condolences.

Thank you.

I also can't have red wine or cilantro. :negative:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

ok to be fair cilantro smells and tastes like soapy rear end to me and I would like to enjoy it because I love herbs, but, alas

I have eaten it in things and I don't go 'ew no thanks' and throw it out, but I definitely don't seek out the experience

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I once had an idea to mix every single flavor picky eaters don't like--broccoli, fish, raw onion, cilantro--into a single brew that you could consume as proof that you were not a picky eater.

But it turns out malört is already a thing

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Ugh, I would ditch that girl in a heartbeat. I'm a picky eater, but a big reason is because I have a hair-trigger gag reflex. If I eat something with a weird taste or texture, I will throw up right then and there. My parents learned that the hard way when I was a baby. It's my one mutant power.

Have you tried (on an empty stomach) shoving your fingers down your throat until your body gets over gagging? Then you can eat whatever you want AND give great head.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

Even the "super gross" foods like hakarl and natto aren't that bad. They're like, bleh. But no big deal. Just don't psych yourself out.
My rule is that even if I think I'll hate a food I have to give it a genuine try at least once before I can go 'no thanks'. Even if you've got genuine problems with specific textures or flavors it's really easy to work yourself up before you even take a bite and you might be completely wrong about something.

I'd eat a bite of natto.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Barudak posted:

We have picky eaters, picky sleepers, picky drinkers but do we have picky breathers? I want to believe somebody only huffs nitrogen less air and claims they will get violently ill if they have to breath regular air.
I leave my bedroom door ajar when I sleep because I would like to breathe in less CO2 and more O2 :shobon:

(even with a closed door it's not a hugely noticeable difference in blood CO2 according to everything I've read and also I don't care enough to buy a detector to see if it actually matters but this is the closest we're gonna find to a picky breather goon)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm just kidding of course, there are some foods that are so unpalatable that you're entering indiana jones monkey brains territory, but bafflingly, they are foods for childish palettes so I can't tell you what :iiam:

I saw these and had to know and it was... so wrong.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Saeku posted:

Have you tried (on an empty stomach) shoving your fingers down your throat until your body gets over gagging? Then you can eat whatever you want AND give great head.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Bogus Adventure posted:

To be fair, iceberg lettuce is a garbage vegetable. Better to eat spinach or kale. :colbert:

My family thinks I’m some kind of food snob when I visit home because I’ll never eat salad at get togethers. The salad is always a big bowl of iceberg lettuce, chickpeas and bell peppers (at Christmas there’s peas, celery, cheese and bacon added). Just a big ol’ bowl of bland sadness.

Wasn’t there an old post about someone’s partner or MIL constantly cooking them bread and pasta or ordering pizza because they were convinced Celiac was made up?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pick posted:

I'm just kidding of course, there are some foods that are so unpalatable that you're entering indiana jones monkey brains territory, but bafflingly, they are foods for childish palettes so I can't tell you what :iiam:

aaagh

aaaaaaagh

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

The Snoo posted:

ok to be fair cilantro smells and tastes like soapy rear end to me and I would like to enjoy it because I love herbs, but, alas

I have eaten it in things and I don't go 'ew no thanks' and throw it out, but I definitely don't seek out the experience

this is my problem with cilantro. It makes me sad because it's in a lot of foods that I love when made without it, and I feel like I must be missing some important flavor by not being able to enjoy it. But it's a miserable experience for me. Strangely, I have no issues with coriander.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

I've eaten and enjoyed microwaved smores poptarts and this is too far for me.

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006

Pick posted:

No! Why?!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
A&W and Orange Crush whore out their flavorings, i've seen both of them as licorice as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Asafoetida. In large quantities it's, well, foetid. But in tiny quantities it gives the same kind of savor as onions/garlic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

PetraCore posted:

My rule is that even if I think I'll hate a food I have to give it a genuine try at least once before I can go 'no thanks'. Even if you've got genuine problems with specific textures or flavors it's really easy to work yourself up before you even take a bite and you might be completely wrong about something.

I'd eat a bite of natto.

My wife's family refers to this as the "no thank you helping".

I try to follow her example, but her mom made some frozen meatballs with grape juice and my appetite just fluttered away.