Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
sooo people use the room before the spirit stone huntress for trading items and maybe fast-leveling characters huh? because clearing the revenant markers gave me 85 million souls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Man, Date Shigezane is really giving me grief. I can only take a couple of hits from him before I die, and I can't get much damage in. Do I just need to get his pattern down, or am I not strong enough yet? I'm thinking about spending time fighting some of the enemies around the area to get max familiarity on my gear, but I don't think that'll make much of a difference.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait till you get to Date Masamune then! That rear end in a top hat killed me so many times.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
For Masamune you definitely want to learn how to headshot him with a bow. Its not that hard as it sounds and you can stun him that way.

Enemies always make a straight line for you so that sets em for a headshot

https://youtu.be/msFbWb5FR9A

Courtesy of my friend

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 21, 2018

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Man, Date Shigezane is really giving me grief. I can only take a couple of hits from him before I die, and I can't get much damage in. Do I just need to get his pattern down, or am I not strong enough yet? I'm thinking about spending time fighting some of the enemies around the area to get max familiarity on my gear, but I don't think that'll make much of a difference.

What I did was hang juuust outside of his range and slash his big stupid arm thing once after every time he attacked. When he does his grab or the attack where he flails his sword around you can sneak two hits in, but otherwise do NOT get greedy. Be patient and be prepared to sprint more often than you dodge. He actually has very few ways to hit you if you just sprint away, so it works better than you might expect.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think I might start a new game tomorrow and play from the beginning, I don't remember how to play at all and I'm gonna get fuckin demolished if I loaded my WotS save.

Actually maybe I should buy it on steam, that might be better. I've always wanted to try that gun build but it's hard with a controller. Mouse + kb would make it easier.

I've always liked spears too though so maybe I'lol try those. I spent most of my last game with an axe and you can really demolish poo poo with a good axe build.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Thumbtacks posted:

I think I might start a new game tomorrow and play from the beginning, I don't remember how to play at all and I'm gonna get fuckin demolished if I loaded my WotS save.

Actually maybe I should buy it on steam, that might be better. I've always wanted to try that gun build but it's hard with a controller. Mouse + kb would make it easier.

I've always liked spears too though so maybe I'lol try those. I spent most of my last game with an axe and you can really demolish poo poo with a good axe build.

There is no reason to restart with the level system. You can switch between difficulties at your leisure.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Well I'd have to if I bought it on PC, which I probably will.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

What I did was hang juuust outside of his range and slash his big stupid arm thing once after every time he attacked. When he does his grab or the attack where he flails his sword around you can sneak two hits in, but otherwise do NOT get greedy. Be patient and be prepared to sprint more often than you dodge. He actually has very few ways to hit you if you just sprint away, so it works better than you might expect.

That's kind of along the lines of what I was doing when I tried fighting him last night. What I did, though, was try to keep away from him so he'd do his two ranged attacks (the sickle and the knife), then dash in with the spear and jab him (which is a technique I rely on a lot). I managed to get him down to around half-health or at least deplete his stamina, which is when he starts using his sword. At that point, though, I kept trying, and that was while using the best gear I had (a couple of +2 items). I guess I just need to keep at it.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Neurosis posted:

sooo people use the room before the spirit stone huntress for trading items and maybe fast-leveling characters huh? because clearing the revenant markers gave me 85 million souls

:stare:

Which mission is this?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Play deep enough into the difficulties and eventually you start making billions of souls for killing a couple basic enemies. I'm pretty sure that's not an exaggeration but there's no commas in the souls gauge and I don't feel like counting digits.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Actually, now that I think about it...do I really need PSPlus for this? I can see revenants without it so I guess I'd only need it for pvp or co-op, right?

If so I'll just keep playing it on my PS4, cheaper that way.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Also I'm pretty sure you'd want to use a controller on PC anyways :v: I was tempted to start again on my new build instead of using my old save but I can't bear the idea of having to get all those drat Kodama again. (I guess also getting all the spirits back would be a pain in the rear end).

Azran fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 22, 2018

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Yeah that's a good point

I have no idea where I left off, which worries me

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh god I had forgotten about that loving credits song.

Also no divine Odachi or Tonfa from the last main story mission, what a ripoff.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

cougar cub posted:

:stare:

Which mission is this?

Spirit Stone Huntress. I think people only do this for WotS and higher difficulties. It's in the DLC region. The level where it's just a Maria boss fight. Go back to the room the boss fight from the last level was in. While if you go further in the game you'll get more from enemies at the time you get access it'll be a shitload of souls, and it can take some of the pain out of the crafting system when people leave items with maxed out inheritable stats.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Is it worth it to quit out of a mission to try and level up or smith some better gear? I still cannot beat Date Shigezane. I've tried switching out to medium armor (the Warrior of the West set, as I usually stick to Red Demon or some other type of light armor), but it doesn't seem to make much difference in tanking hits.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Once I got to Shigezane I wasn't good enough yet so I went into the next difficulty up and came back to him after I had some better gear and and more experience fighting harder enemies.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Shima Honnou posted:

Once I got to Shigezane I wasn't good enough yet so I went into the next difficulty up and came back to him after I had some better gear and and more experience fighting harder enemies.

Okay, cool. I'll drop out of the mission and maybe go back and try replaying some of the main game missions on Way of the Strong.

That being said, I'm fighting him at Level 134 (using a Divine +2 Oni Sakon Spear), so I don't know what I should try to get to, or if I'm at an okay level to fight him now, and I just can't manage it. :smith:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
One thing about this game that I remember throwing me was that once I hit NG+ and unlocked WotS, I didn't really know what to do. Everything's already unlocked, so there's no progression I necessarily need to follow. Should I just play each level again but harder now, or try to slam my way through whatever the hardest level I can do is? It's been like 18 months since I last played so I barely remember but I remember that being a problem.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

One thing about this game that I remember throwing me was that once I hit NG+ and unlocked WotS, I didn't really know what to do. Everything's already unlocked, so there's no progression I necessarily need to follow. Should I just play each level again but harder now, or try to slam my way through whatever the hardest level I can do is? It's been like 18 months since I last played so I barely remember but I remember that being a problem.

Try the missions where you've got an NPC first - their damage scales pretty well IIRC and that'll help you kickstart your gear.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

That Shigezane fellow likes to fire homing centipede missiles that do 1000 damage even if I block, so that sucks.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The DLC bossed are amazing dick punches, but nail them and you'll want for nothing again.

A Tonfa duel with that ninja rear end in a top hat is up there with Artorius for video game battles, imo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Seedge posted:

That Shigezane fellow likes to fire homing centipede missiles that do 1000 damage even if I block, so that sucks.

The centipede thing didn't even seem that hard once I got to that point; you just had to kind of dodge to the side, then toward Shigezane. In some of the later attempts, I just started running from it, along with his other attacks, and that sort of worked. Still, though, I'd slip up and either the centipede would one-shot me, or he'd knock out my stamina and then kill me in a combo. :argh:

I'm going to try and get some better gear and level up a bit, though I'm thinking about doing some missions on Way of the Strong, and now I'm worrying about what Hino-Enma is going to be like. :sigh:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I've found a lot of the early WotS bosses to be a total cakewalk, because now I'm not level nothing with no skills.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I started a new run and honestly between the Kodama and Guardian Spirit collectathons, I think it would be easier to craft some low level divines and go into NG+ with that rather than just doing another run.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Max Wilco posted:

I'm going to try and get some better gear and level up a bit, though I'm thinking about doing some missions on Way of the Strong, and now I'm worrying about what Hino-Enma is going to be like. :sigh:

That was the 2nd mission I did in WotS and I think I killed her in about 20 seconds.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Yeah, NG+ yokai bosses seem a bit behind the curve for some reason. Maybe it's because they tend to be the most predictable and you know their tricks, coupled with you having all your options available as stated above, but I found them to be total cakewalks in comparison to everything else in Strong and above.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If anyone has double dipped, I was planning on getting the PC version but since they’ve announced the new Full edition for PS4 and I own a Pro and like the DS4 more than the 360 pad is there any reason for me to get in PC now?

It’s mostly a question of graphics/framerate/performance

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

If anyone has double dipped, I was planning on getting the PC version but since they’ve announced the new Full edition for PS4 and I own a Pro and like the DS4 more than the 360 pad is there any reason for me to get in PC now?

There's no robust modding scene (or any that I'm aware of), so PC doesn't have any innate advantages. It's an alright port, and there's a decent patch for ultrawide monitors if you have one (that I'm using). So that's a plus, but otherwise I wouldn't say there's any big reason to avoid it on PS4 - it's not like this is Skyrim.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

Bust Rodd posted:

The game does look a lot nicer and runs at 60 fps I'm pretty sure.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Zhulik posted:

The game does look a lot nicer and runs at 60 fps I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, but you can get 60fps on PS4 Pro. I guess if you game at high res on your main PC AND want a high framerate you can have both.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
PC is definitely the better platform because the game is very well optimized and has a lot more graphical customization options, and also Nioh has native DS4 support on PC already.

edit: But even if it didn't, Steam has relatively flawless DS4 integration nowadays. You have to go to big picture mode to set it up (which kinda sucks) but once you do you don't need DS4Windows or any external program anymore.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

CJacobs posted:

PC is definitely the better platform because the game is very well optimized and has a lot more graphical customization options, and also Nioh has native DS4 support on PC already.

edit: But even if it didn't, Steam has relatively flawless DS4 integration nowadays. You have to go to big picture mode to set it up (which kinda sucks) but once you do you don't need DS4Windows or any external program anymore.

Wait, really? I've still been using DS4Windows. Do you have to use Big Picture mode for it to work? I know some games recognize the DS4 on its own, but some I have to hide the PS4 controller (mostly Dark Souls 1 and 2) so it recognizes the mapping I set up.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
gently caress this centipede guy

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Max Wilco posted:

Wait, really? I've still been using DS4Windows. Do you have to use Big Picture mode for it to work? I know some games recognize the DS4 on its own, but some I have to hide the PS4 controller (mostly Dark Souls 1 and 2) so it recognizes the mapping I set up.

First, disconnect the DS4. Then go to big picture mode and click the gear in the corner.

Click on controller settings.

Check 'PS4 configuration support'. Then connect your DS4 with big picture still open and it'll register it on the list (down where it says 'xbox 360 controller' on my screenshot). From there you can click on it on the list to select stuff like how long it should stay on while idle, the color of the lightbar, and a couple other things. From then on it'll automatically register it whenever you have steam open and turn the controller on, no need to go back to big picture mode unless you want to deactivate it.

What it does is basically make it so that the game thinks you're using an xbox 360 controller, same as DS4Windows et al, but without the need for an external program. However, it won't do that for games that have native DS4 support like The Surge and Nioh, it'll just work normally.

edit: It also replaces the fake xbox 360 controller with a Steam controller for games that it's compatible with, meaning you can rebind the buttons independently of the game by changing the configuration (hold down the PS button or the guide button on Xbone controllers).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 23, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cool, thanks for the info about setting up the controller! :)

Question regarding divine equipment: should I be bothering to max out familiarity with gear that doesn't have a number rank (i.e. a +1 or +2 next to the name). I've only got a couple of divine items with number ranks, and from what I've found from guides on Youtube, the regular divine gear can't get a +1. It's only from gear you pick up or get from revenants.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
well you can just soul match to get levels... the costs aren't too bad.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Neurosis posted:

well you can just soul match to get levels... the costs aren't too bad.

What I mean to say (since I don't know exactly how the system works) is that I don't know if you can Soul Match two normal divine items and get a +1 item as a result. From what I found online, it looks like the only way to build up divine gear is to find items that already have the +, then soul match it with something of the same level to increase (ex. soul match a +1 weapon with another +1 weapon, and it will result in a +2 weapon). I didn't know if there was much benefit in soul matching gear that didn't have the number suffix.

I also want to add that I set in the options so I only pick up Exotic-quality gear and above. I didn't think it would be worth while to pick up anything lower that Rare-quality at this point, but I wanted to know if there was any benefit to setting it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
You're slightly off there; while you can't soul match a +0 and a +0 to go to +1, you can soul match a +0 and a +1 to bring it to a +1.

From then on, you can match it with an even level item to raise it by 1.