Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Nanpa posted:

The jagged alliance real time remakes were better than the old.

This is so wrong it loops back around to being hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

I think it's kind of a logical flaw to think of it as "adventure games died"; there are as many fans as ever, and there always have been, the key thing to keep in mind is that during the "golden age" of adventure games, not everyone had a computer and not everyone played games on them. Other types of games have gotten MORE popular, which makes it seem like there are "fewer" adventure game fans, but it's really just a matter of perspective.
In the 80's and 90's adventure games used to be a part of the AAA side of the industry, they did lose a lot of prestige and popularity after their death in the 90's. Adventure games will probably never get that AAA importance again like they once did, but that's not a bad thing because it gives the genre more freedom to grow under indies and AA devs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

precision posted:

yeah but there's a big diff. between nintendo power and the internet. most people i know didn't read gaming mags, everyone uses the internet :colbert:

It's generally pretty easy to avoid spoilers or secrets for a game unless you seek them out. Most recently I managed to get to the end of Nier Automata pretty much unspoiled, and that's a game where people don't seem to think talking about the very final playable section in the entire game is much of a spoiler for some reason

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accordion Man posted:

In the 80's and 90's adventure games used to be a part of the AAA side of the industry, they did lose a lot of prestige and popularity after their death in the 90's. Adventure games will probably never get that AAA importance again like they once did, but that's not a bad thing because it gives the genre more freedom to grow under indies and AA devs.

Yeah but what I'm getting at is that there's a difference in perception cause by not looking at the hard numbers:

King's Quest 5 - total sales ever, 500k copies
Baldur's Gate - sold a million in the first six months, total sales by 2001 were 2 million

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Baldur's Gate was fooking rad and even though I've never played pen and paper D&D in my life I explain exactly what THAC0 is.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

there were always adventure games on newgrounds and stuff. there had to be at least a few good ones

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cuntman.net posted:

there were always adventure games on newgrounds and stuff. there had to be at least a few good ones

the only good one that i can think of was that single room one which is more of a puzzle box

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

the only good one that i can think of was that single room one which is more of a puzzle box
There was The Dead Case, which was kind of like a proto-Ghost Trick that I remember was decent.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

There was The Dead Case, which was kind of like a proto-Ghost Trick that I remember was decent.

that was exactly the one that came to mind for me too

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ikaruga was a pretty boring shmup, and not nearly as hard as people make it out to be.

I think shmups should always be graphically interesting, so many old shmups go for the generic airplane aesthetic and become kind of dull even if they have good gameplay (unless they do the airplane aesthetic especially well), so many of them look basically identical. Gradius has a generic ship but it feels so cool when you go into some of the later levels and come up against weird organic crap with grimacing faces and easter island heads (please bring back grimacing slime faces on walls in videogames!). I don't love bullet hell games so much because they're primarily defensive and prefer offensive shmups where you get rewarded for shooting motherfuckers down with some finesse, Twinbee does this well and if you're good at bell juggling you can get some pretty great powerups fast. It's part shmup and part slideshow of bizarre crap and cartoon characters, that was really missing from Ikaruga which is just charge>release>repeat against a bunch of black and white robots.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Personally shmups lost me when they went all in on the bullet hell stuff.

I get why they went there but I don't enjoy them whatsoever.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Phantasium posted:

Personally shmups lost me when they went all in on the bullet hell stuff.

I get why they went there but I don't enjoy them whatsoever.

I don't really get what's so much fun about them no. In most bullet hell situations, even if the screen is flooded with bullets, 90% of those bullets don't matter to you because you're not anywhere near them, you're just a ball swerving around basically overlapping geometric shapes with small passages, it feels more like that old game where you guide a metal circle along an electrified rail without touching. Sometimes it feels cool to dodge a massive volley like that but I don't really want an entire game to be like that, I want to sometimes just take potshots at flying things, or just get some more variety.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
adventure games were "big" because they used to fill the role of the AAA technical showpiece game that's mostly filled by shooters and action RPGs these days. back in the day King's Quest IV was the game to buy if you wanted to show off your IBM-compatible PC as a gaming machine (and also wanted to show off awful puzzle design).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also with a few exceptions like Quest for Glory and some of the better Infocom games, adventure games during the "golden years" of adventure gaming aren't very good and the modern indie stuff tends to be significantly better. Even LucasArts games were still just "use everything in your inventory on everything in the world until something works", just with no bullshit deaths.

Quest for Glory really was incredible though. Has any indie developer made something like that recently? (the particular gameplay itch QFG scratches is sort of done by action RPGs like New Vegas and Witcher III these days, but I'd love to see something more explicitly in the adventure game mold)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Also with a few exceptions like Quest for Glory and some of the better Infocom games, adventure games during the "golden years" of adventure gaming aren't very good and the modern indie stuff tends to be significantly better. Even LucasArts games were still just "use everything in your inventory on everything in the world until something works", just with no bullshit deaths.

Quest for Glory really was incredible though. Has any indie developer made something like that recently? (the particular gameplay itch QFG scratches is sort of done by action RPGs like New Vegas and Witcher III these days, but I'd love to see something more explicitly in the adventure game mold)

There's a few games which are pretty explicitly Quest for Glory-likes, there's Heroine's Quest which looks to be well-reviewed

A couple others are in Kickstarter dev hell, Mage's Initiation and Hero-U which is from the creators of QfG

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Fallout 4 was one of the best games of all time.

Mods of half life are still better than any of the Kickstarter poo poo these days

It's my fault we lost that match sorry guys.

Alternatively, it's not my fault we lost that match.

Gabe Newell and George r r Martin are the same person.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
I completely agree with the bit about a lot of SHUMPs having meh aesthetic designs granted theres a ton of exceptions but it still seems like most of the time they just end up going with a generic sci-fi spaceships theme.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
All streamers and e-sport people should get syphiliherpaids.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Philosopher King posted:

Fallout 4 was one of the best games of all time.

Genuine question: at what point in the game did you start to think this?

I have bounced off it so many times, as I have every other Fallout version: just wondering if there's a point I could get to that would make me see the light (like the Bloody Baron quest in TW3).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Since we're on it, I think Fallout 2 is the worst Fallout (that anyone cares about).

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Philosopher King posted:

Gabe Newell and George r r Martin are the same person.

Final scene of GoT: The hound stands at the shattered remains of the wall, flanked on both sides by the corpses of dragons and bodies of most of the cast. The camera slowly rotates revealing the Ice King standing there. Slowly he begins to speak. "Well done Dr. Freeman." he says in the gmans voice; Hard cut to Half-Life 3 Logo. Cue the internet losing it's collective poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fallout 2 is my favorite but I can definitely see what people don't like about it. I just like that there's so much goddamn poo poo to do in the game but Fallout 1 is definitely a more focused game that's nearly perfect.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tyrian is the greatest shmup

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Since we're on it, I think Fallout 2 is the worst Fallout (that anyone cares about).

I always prefer the first Fallout to its sequel, particularly because Fallout 2 has that stupid loving introduction tutorial whatever thing at the start

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Got some 90s PC gaming hot takes for y'all:

Crusader: No Remorse and Crusader: No Regret both control like trash and are a chore to play.

FMV-era Wing Commander cutscenes are a net negative that wasted a ton of money and effort that could have gone into making a better pew pew game. Wing Commander II is the series' high point.

Quake II was skippable.

Blood was more fun and more imaginative than Shadow Warrior.

Westwood's best days were already behind them when they sold to EA.

A version of SimCity 3000 that recognized more than 3 gigs of RAM and worked in widescreen out of the box but was otherwise unchanged would be an easy home run.

Psygnosis' Lander from 1999 was good.

Between the Sidewinder line and the Xbox gamepads, Microsoft is the only company that has consistently made actually-good PC game control devices that weren't also insanely expensive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wing Commander III might be the best FMV game ever made but I definitely get what you're saying.

Mass Effect 2 is the best Chris Roberts game ever made.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

RE: Code Veronica sucks

Water is wet.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Wing Commander III might be the best FMV game ever made but I definitely get what you're saying.

Tallest little person.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Homeworld 2 was better than 1. 1 was just a lovely gimmick level after the next until you get to actually fight something real on the very last mission.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

[me to the haters] Okay you got me, Code Veronica isn't that good of a game.

Eheh yeah right sike mothafuckas!!!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Last Express becomes 50% less impressive once you realize how low the typical character animations are. Also all arguments against 90s PC adventure games apply to it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Feels Villeneuve posted:

adventure games were "big" because they used to fill the role of the AAA technical showpiece game that's mostly filled by shooters and action RPGs these days. back in the day King's Quest IV was the game to buy if you wanted to show off your IBM-compatible PC as a gaming machine (and also wanted to show off awful puzzle design).

Yeah this is another good point, graphical adventure games were at one point the height of :pcgaming: Like it was a super massive deal that kings quest 5 had SVGA!!!!! graphics

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

precision posted:

Yeah this is another good point, graphical adventure games were at one point the height of :pcgaming: Like it was a super massive deal that kings quest 5 had SVGA!!!!! graphics

640x480 with 256 colors and postage stamp QuickTime videos seamlessly laid on top really sold the gently caress out of some copies of Myst.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They were some of the first games to take advantage of sound cards too. King's Quest IV had an ~orchestral score~!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheScott2K posted:

FMV-era Wing Commander cutscenes are a net negative that wasted a ton of money and effort that could have gone into making a better pew pew game.

Thank God Chris Roberts learned from this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheScott2K posted:

A version of SimCity 3000 that recognized more than 3 gigs of RAM and worked in widescreen out of the box but was otherwise unchanged would be an easy home run.

Sim City 4 was probably "better" but it was so boring compared to 3000. The jazzy soundtrack and citizen caricatures and grime that cities could get with industry and stuff felt way more alive and interesting than 4. The environment creation stuff was really cool but everything else made it feel detached and distant and the Sim advisors were less interesting in general. The game just felt sterile. Cities Skylines is better about it but it doesn't feel lively like 3k did.

quote:

Homeworld 2 was better than 1. 1 was just a lovely gimmick level after the next until you get to actually fight something real on the very last mission.

Homeworld 2 Remastered is awesome because they fixed the scaling so you're not fighting five battlecruisers to every one you dare to make and also because they patched it so frigates actually have working armor now and don't immediately die. The campaign still doesn't make sense but it's a lot of fun.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 22, 2018

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
As a console kid I still remember looking longingly at screenshots of PC adventure games and Links golf games in awe and wonderment :allears:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Sim City 4 was probably "better" but it was so boring compared to 3000. The jazzy soundtrack and citizen caricatures and grime that cities could get with industry and stuff felt way more alive and interesting than 4. The environment creation stuff was really cool but everything else made it feel detached and distant and the Sim advisors were less interesting in general. The game just felt sterile. Cities Skylines is better about it but it doesn't feel lively like 3k did..

It took me a long time to admit to myself that I preferred 3000 to 4. I respect 4 a whole lot, but I prefer 3000. If it got an Intel Mac port like the one 4 got out of nowhere a few years ago, I would be so happy.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheScott2K posted:

640x480 with 256 colors and postage stamp QuickTime videos seamlessly laid on top really sold the gently caress out of some copies of Myst.

When I was at college I had my own Mac and got Riven and of course it looked beautiful. In college they had the 'big mac' which was a Mac with a massive (for the time) monitor with uber high resolution, it was in an office on its own separate to the other Macs and you needed permission to even use it.
I got to load up Riven on it and eagerly awaited how mind blowing it would look on this massive monitor in hi res, I especially wanted to see the tram journeys as they were awesome as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldfs0eqn4F8

I was all :saddowns: when the game appeared in a tiny window in the middle of the screen :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The original masters of Riven were lost a long time ago so we'll probably never see an HD remake unless the entire game is basically built back up from scratch. A great tragedy as Riven is one of the best adventure games ever made (not an unpopular opinion).

• Locked thread