Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EthanSteele posted:

On the one hand G Reco is probably good, on the other hand it demands a lot of the audience (too much?) which is bad. Not even in an elitist "you weren't paying attention you pleb" way. it's extremely Tomino in that characters say things and do things with no regard for the audience so you have to piece together a lot and while you're paying close attention to what a character is saying trying to figure out what their actual deal is, there's stuff going on in the background of the scene that you'll miss. It's also really badly paced, which is another Tomino hallmark.

That you can see the exact moment a certain character is cured and just pretending to be sick is super cool. The fact that you can miss that moment is not.

On a third hand I found Raraiya kind of a superfluous character throughout the whole show, with early "oxygen deprived" Raraiya kind of annoying and later "healthy, normal" Raraiya just kind of pointless. She presumably existed to hint at greater goings on from up in space, but just having the G-Self itself around because it drops through the atmosphere does that on it's own. I understand some people like her for the humor she adds, or the character interactions, and normally I don't think it'd be something worth getting finicky about but G-Reco absolutely needed more time and even if cutting Raraiya would only add a minute or so an episode I think it's worthwhile because the show needed all the help it could get. I really wanted to see more of Towasanga and Venus Globe for instance, but the show had to rush through them so fast it never felt like I got anything more than a sightseeing "highlights" tour that pointed out a few obvious things but missed a lot of interesting opportunities so it could move on to the next thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Raraiya almost felt like a troll with how people theorized she was related to Loran or Lalah or whatever and then she was just Raraiya.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Raraiya almost felt like a troll with how people theorized she was related to Loran or Lalah or whatever and then she was just Raraiya.

I don't think that's a troll, I just think people had stupid expectations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Raraiya was worth including just for her interactions with other characters, especially her growing friendship with Noredo

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grwMSNNZcJQ

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I think people who thought "they're both brown skinned with white hair, therefor they must be related" are just idiots and you might as well expect Amuro and Heero must be related or something.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

To be fair Raraiya's last name was also Monday aka Moon Day, and its not hard to read that as a Loran connection.

But yeah people went too far with it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Raxivace posted:

To be fair Raraiya's last name was also Monday aka Moon Day, and its not hard to read that as a Loran connection.

But yeah people went too far with it.

It was more that people were guessing G-Reco's point in the UC timeline and coming up with "Somewhere near Turn-A, oh god will this all end with a Moonlight Butterfly?!"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Reco answered "where do they poop" so the show is A+ to me

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Something but something has been beat to death, but this is really good!

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

What exactly was the point of Twilight Axis, besides selling more models and making a mediocre attempt at linking Unicorn to F91? Nothing I've read really seems to explain the plot that well, and I can't find it to watch properly anywhere.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

What exactly was the point of Twilight Axis, besides selling more models and making a mediocre attempt at linking Unicorn to F91? Nothing I've read really seems to explain the plot that well, and I can't find it to watch properly anywhere.

Well, I assume the initial point was letting Ark performance do more Gundam fiction, because they've done some pretty good stuff. (Plot to Assassinate Gihren status: Still great).

As for the web animation, that was probably the fruit of trying to experiment with more small scale stuff that could keep things circulating between larger projects. This was basically finding the minimum budget approach where people would say "Yep. That's Gundam. I enjoy this product or service."

Obviously, they lowballed.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Okay the next episode preview is hilarious.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Xarbala posted:

Or if the show were just better paced overall it wouldn't feel like it needed a dozen more episodes.

The biggest problem in this regard was that for some reason the show needed to cram a fight into basically every episode, even when it was largely unnecessary.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

The biggest problem in this regard was that for some reason the show needed to cram a fight into basically every episode, even when it was largely unnecessary.

To be fair, that's the kind of thing that could well have been a Bandai mandate rather than by choice.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, that's the kind of thing that could well have been a Bandai mandate rather than by choice.

See, normally I'd agree, except somehow IBO got away with having breather episodes so :shrug:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

See, normally I'd agree, except somehow IBO got away with having breather episodes so :shrug:

Yeah, it seems a bit too quick for it to be a Bandai turnaround, especially since IBO, if I remember right, was in initial development since right after 00.

Still could be it, though, or it could just be Tomino trying to have something happen every week to keep The Kids interested in, or could be... who knows?

Most important thing is the show we got, and the show we got would probably work better with less fights.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

IBO got away with a lot that shouldn't have flown under Bandai's usual management, so I wouldn't consider that a suitable comparison. Especially considering the second season somehow escaped Bandai's usual interference.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think that's more just how Tomino prefers to run his shows since nearly everything he directed tends to have that weekly battle outside of an episode or two.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

AzMiLion posted:

The breaker games never got released in the us or eu, there's a english asian release though(make sure you get the break edition since that has all the dlc)

https://amazon.com has them, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
At least the battles managed to be pretty great throughout.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Still could be it, though, or it could just be Tomino trying to have something happen every week to keep The Kids interested in, or could be... who knows?

I'm pretty sure Tomino has stated in interview that it was his choice to put a fight in every episode precisely for the reason you theorized, and that he did so because he felt Turn-A passed under most kids radar since it was a slower show where he was allowed to not put a fight in every episode among other things.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

IBO got away with a lot that shouldn't have flown under Bandai's usual management, so I wouldn't consider that a suitable comparison. Especially considering the second season somehow escaped Bandai's usual interference.

From my perspective at least it got Bandai's usual interference early and the proof is that there's a second season at all, while the first season largely had nothing happen for much of it's middle so they could plan for said second season.

MonsieurChoc posted:

At least the battles managed to be pretty great throughout.

Eehhhh...it has some good fights, but it has some boring ones as well. The one that always stands out to me is the Yggdrassil fight. I remember watching that as the mobile armor sends out tendrils everywhere, destroying everything it touches and going "oh man, how are they going to defeat this". Then Bellri just turns on an invincible energy shield, flies right through the beam branches like they're not even there and stabs in to the central unit. It's a really underwhelming way to finish a fight.

tsob fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 22, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think that the 'every episode is a fight' thing isn't a mandate. multiple directors have talked about how the studio is at once controlling and willing to bend. Fukuda for example said they were super nice about allowing him to introduce Freedom Gundam significantly later and to just have episodes of buildup and consequence without fighting, but at the same time he was also willing to go "sure, we'll put in more Buster Gundam" when they asked him to. It seems like the key to getting what you want is to make sure you're willing to give them handouts if they ask. I assume wtih IBO "we're introducing new robots every other episode, even if they're not fighting" probably helped.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

G Reco is garbage. Even the mecha designs are saccharine, everything about that show feels like they tried to cover gundam in syrup so you'd swallow the bullshit they sorta but didn't really do the entire run.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

G Reco is garbage. Even the mecha designs are saccharine, everything about that show feels like they tried to cover gundam in syrup so you'd swallow the bullshit they sorta but didn't really do the entire run.

Weird take, dude.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I genuinely can't imagine calling G-Reco's unit design saccharine considering its surroundings. I mean it came out after Gundam Age and aired alongside Build Fighters and while the Recsnow is adorable as poo poo the rest is basically UC-styled stuff.

If you wanted candy colored overly-sweet Gundam poo poo, Age probably takes the lead in modern stuff and from there you're struggling against Build Fighters, SEED, and parts of Gundam 00. I'd say only IBO is a safe less-saccharine setup and even that has a fair few bits, they're just intentionally so. (like the Ryusei-Go Gundam being a cartoony superheroic mecha was a literal war crime attached to it.)

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I thought G-Reco was quite interesting and will probably rewatch it after I finish watching Overman King Gainer since now I can see the straight line that drew in Tomino's head between Turn A, Gainer, and G-Reco. Plus I love the mecha designs, they're super unorthodox and "organic" in a way lots of other Gundam shows would never try to be, again, showing the influence of Gainer's Overmen.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the rekuten looked like a knockoff toy you'd find in a dollar store

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely can't imagine calling G-Reco's unit design saccharine considering its surroundings. I mean it came out after Gundam Age and aired alongside Build Fighters and while the Recsnow is adorable as poo poo the rest is basically UC-styled stuff.

If you wanted candy colored overly-sweet Gundam poo poo, Age probably takes the lead in modern stuff and from there you're struggling against Build Fighters, SEED, and parts of Gundam 00. I'd say only IBO is a safe less-saccharine setup and even that has a fair few bits, they're just intentionally so. (like the Ryusei-Go Gundam being a cartoony superheroic mecha was a literal war crime attached to it.)

I guess you could say that the G-Self is intentionally cutesy, since it was designed to find and protect lost children. And it’s a killing machine with an (alarmingly ruthless) mind of its own, because of course it is.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Eh While I thought G-reco wasn't great, I have to admit the mech designs owned. There's a ton of great stuff in there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Eh While I thought G-reco wasn't great, I have to admit the mech designs owned. There's a ton of great stuff in there.

G-Reco genuinely has my favorite Gundam designs overall in recent memory so I admit bias but by and large I think it has one of the strongest and most distinctive lineups of machines in a long time, especially when you consider their choreography and how they are used. Even some average looking machines are elevated by how they are portrayed in-series while a lot of recent Gundam series have machines I like in theory which fail through boring execution.

I'm not sure what I'd consider my second favorite. I like Build Fighters a fair but but it feels kinda like cheating and to be honest I'm sort of 50/50 on a lot of its original designs, especially in Try. Age has a few standouts and a whole lot of trash. 00 has a few amazing units but is kind of bloated and I don't like some of its core aesthetic decisions. SEED has a couple of designs I think are great and a lot I think are atrocities. IBO has a couple of units I love (mostly Gusion and its variations I admit) but ends up feeling a little unmemorable to me due to weak choreography on a lot of the non-main units. I think 00 maybe comes out ahead but I admit the Flag line is probably what makes me think that and IBO would be higher if its non-Gundam units got to show off cool aspects more. (But that would also detract from the themes of the show so welp.)

I'm torn on Unicorn and Thunderbolt because I really like some aspects of both series but I just can't get onto the "ten billion things stapled onto a Gundam/Zaku" aesthetic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Grimoire is a sexy suit.

The Unicorn's Unicorn mode is brilliant in its simplicity. Its Destroy Mode is not.

I want my Thunderbolt Rick Dom.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Unicorn's Unicorn mode is brilliant in its simplicity. Its Destroy Mode is not.

Agreed.

Also the G-Reco mech designs own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Grimoire is a sexy suit.

I want my Thunderbolt Rick Dom.

Yeah, I like Unicorn more than Destroy mode and was always disappointed the latter basically ate the suit whole. I can't deny it's an incredibly distinctive visual but it's just less interesting than the non-transformed design.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Darth Walrus posted:

Weird take, dude.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The primary Gundam has Giant Oval eyes that remind me of those drat popsicles you can buy from any street vendor with bubblegum for eyes. Plus most of the color choices are from the pastel range through out the series. Add in just about everyone's generally cheery for no reason disposition and a straight up PINKU Gundam (which unlike the repaint clone in Seed/Destiny is just that way from the start and does absolutely nothing the entire run). I guess my point is the show felt like it was wrapped up in this aesthetic that didn't really provide much or drive anything in the show itself which seemed like a cover for the fact they didn't have much substance below it. I get others feel differently about the show.

I'm not saying these are inherently bad decisions, but coupled with the disarray I found the rest of the series to be I wasn't into it. G Reco reminds me of any special edition anime release in the early 00's. Well we know this ain't very good, but if we package it in a metallic limited edition thing people will soak it up. I will cop to being guilty of falling for that trick a few too many times. DONT FORGET IT WAS ANNIVERSARY GUNDAM :/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like G Reco's eyecatches. Dance-Off!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

a straight up PINKU Gundam

Uh, can you not tell the difference between orange and pink?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

a straight up PINKU Gundam (which unlike the repaint clone in Seed/Destiny is just that way from the start and does absolutely nothing the entire run).

I mean this is a weird take.

Gundam 00:

Gundam Age:

Gundam IBO:

G Reco:

calling it a "straight-up PINKU gundam" is silly because.. the G-Arcane isn't even pink while literally every other recent series has literal pink robots including the gritty war drama about child soldiers.

(It i sfair to say the G-Arcane is hilarious for being a transforming Gundam that never once transforms until a non-canon bonus special though.)

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

None of those are as cool as the pink Zaku from Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I mean this is a weird take.

Gundam 00:

Gundam Age:

Gundam IBO:

G Reco:

calling it a "straight-up PINKU gundam" is silly because.. the G-Arcane isn't even pink while literally every other recent series has literal pink robots including the gritty war drama about child soldiers.

(It i sfair to say the G-Arcane is hilarious for being a transforming Gundam that never once transforms until a non-canon bonus special though.)

More generally, criticising a gundam show for having a pink robot is odd considering the main character's rival in the very first gundam used pink robots exclusively until the final fight.