Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

MrYenko posted:

So a good friend of mine is looking to replace his wife’s ~2005 CRV, and was pondering larger vehicles. She’s an awful driver, and has ripped the bumper off the CRV THREE TIMES, pulling in and out of the garage (she’s an awful driver,) so he has specific desires of a new car. We talked about the new Volvo XC90, gently used Escalades/Yukon Denalis, etc etc.. Nothing checked all his boxes, until I mentioned to him that for his use case and requirements, (two kids in car seats, 360° parking cam, emergency assist braking, parking assist, occasional need for a six/seven pax vehicle, general household useage, suburbs and highways) a minivan is really the perfect vehicle.

He balked initially, since he DDs a 2010 6 speed M5, he obviously doesn’t want to be that guy.

And then we made it to the Chrysler website, and I got to watch him realize that the new Pacifica really does check every box on his wishlist. He grew angrier and angrier as he looked through the options list. He took his lunch break and actually went to a nearby Chrysler dealer to sit in one. He was even angrier when he got back from that, because he actually liked it.

I enjoyed the hell out of the entire process. :v:

Also, gently lowered and on non-poverty spec wheels, they’re actually kinda cool looking:

This is great.

:mad:: gently caress, maybe we do need a minivan.
:v:: You should go check one out.
**Time Passes**
:v:: So what'd you think?
:argh:: It was perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Pacifica is annoyingly great. I hate it because it's by all means the vehicle I should have in my garage.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's a nice looking vehicle. Perhaps it will lead to people looking at minivans again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

I feel like that would ruin the ride of a normally very comfortable van

Honestly even the 2018 appearance package does wonders. Better wheels and chrome delete is the key.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:mad:: gently caress, maybe we do need a minivan.
:v:: You should go check one out.
**Time Passes**
:v:: So what'd you think?
:argh:: It was perfect!

This is EXACTLY how it went down, and it was amazing. :allears:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
While combing through ZF's twitter account, I came across this bizarre twitter account.

https://twitter.com/tripleclutchca

I wonder when this will be a thing.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

See the Honda Civic Type R for your answer to "will people buy awful looking poo poo?"

I never liked the looks of it on any of the pictures but I saw one in person this weekend in blue and I thought it looked good.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Laserface posted:

A friend just bought the new swift sport because I said it looked neat. He went to test drive one and was really impressed. 26k out the door.

I'm gonna have a go and maybe do the same. Cheap and super fun he said.

I dunno, I keep comparing everything to the Ford Fusion Sports near me marked down to 28k. That's tough for most cars to compete with but you have to take it in white since that's all that's left.

Going back to manuals, I had to drive another goon's Mazda 3 to the hospital this weekend. Haven't ever owned a manual and haven't driven one in ages. I just don't get the appeal in terms of "feeling connected" to the car. All I like is being able to choose which gear you're in but paddle shifters cover that.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mr-Spain posted:

I never liked the looks of it on any of the pictures but I saw one in person this weekend in blue and I thought it looked good.

We saw one driving in the wild this weekend and my wife, who is not a car person, said "look at that wild Civic, I always wanted an awesome Civic when I was a teenager."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The Type-R looks absolutely ridiculous in an absolutely perfect manner. It's like an anime space ship, it stands out more than all but the most absurdly expensive cars, and the designers fully embracing that makes the car awesome. The Type-R looks special, compared to the RS which looks meh as heck.

Honda and Toyota are finally getting back to having distinct Japanese styling instead of copying the bland poo poo America creates and that's a good thing. There are some design fails of course but most of the complaining about how objectively "ugly" cars like the Prius or new Lexuses are come from myopic car nerds with extremely conservative taste and a weak theory of mind. It's like the curmudgeons whining about how the cool Japanese cars in the 80s and 90s just weren't nice like whatever boring poo poo they liked.

That Pacifica above looks sick af too, minivans are basically thick wagons and can totally be styled well if a company cares to. I'd rock the gently caress out of a stylish little van if a decent company made one, like a modern VW bus or even Mazda 5.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

dissss posted:

If you think a Sentra is bad rental car pray you never get stuck with an 'automatic' Punto

The selespeed designers have a circle of hell ready for them, it's genuinely awful. The dualogic that succeded it is still bad but doable. Main problem with Fiat and autos is that they have very cramped engine bays so they couldn't put say a 1.4 and an auto(the panda 100hp with its 1.4 requires literal olympic grade gymnastics when servicing) on a small city car(semiautos are more serviceable on the alfas and their 2.0+l variants). Their 1.4l petrol engine is another weird oddity, mostly due to lack of interest(Italian car taxes used the engine displacement as a metric to pick the amount of cash you needed to pay yearly so all italian car makers had a veiled interest into fitting the smallest engine possible into their city cars) . Depending on the model, is either a derivative of a mid nineties engine or an evolution of a late eighties unit. Guess what is the more modern one? The late eighties F.I.R.E.-derivative, which has been kept up to date since 1985. I could go right now to a FIAT dealer and buy a car with an engine that has been designed before i was born and updated over the years sorta like a ship of Theseus .

Another Punto that you shouldn't never even try to find, let alone drive, is the mk1 punto cabrio variant, a punto with a cloth roof, an additional ton of reinforcement and close to zero chassis rigidity. Slow as molasses and prone to collapse at the early convenience(any car crash in one of those is a death sentence, it makes the half EuroNCAP star fiat cinquecento look positively safe).

EDIT: I'd like to join to the chorus of "Shame about Suzuki being sorta unknown", my 2005 Swift is a joy to drive and the spare/accessories catalog is 100% stocked even today(with FIAT i would expect to not being able to fetch OEM accessories/spares after a couple of years of a model being discontinued instead of the decade and change of my Suzuki)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 22, 2018

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Wheeee posted:

The Type-R looks special, compared to the RS which looks meh as heck.

Now, when we say "special"...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Like that girl in class with the external orthodontics

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

MrYenko posted:

True, but you can also appreciate a poised, solid, well engineered car while driving sedately on the highway. Every Prius I’ve ever driven just feels substandard. Slow, goes around corners on the door handles, mediocre brake feel, just an awful car.

I mean, I’ve driven worse (a recent Nissan Versa rental comes to mind,) but Prius is awful in every way that isn’t reliability or fuel economy.

The loving Versa. Everything is wrong with that car.

I mean, who makes the decision of "we're going to put bluetooth in here, but only for the phone. If you want to play music you're going to have to plug in an aux cable".

It's like they were actively trying to make it as poo poo as possible.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wheeee posted:

cool Japanese cars in the 80s and 90s just weren't nice like whatever boring poo poo they liked.

80s and 90s Japanese cars were extremely conservative (with certain exceptions), which is why I like 'em.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Q_res posted:

Now, when we say "special"...

I think the Type R looks awesome.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

80s and 90s Japanese cars were extremely conservative (with certain exceptions), which is why I like 'em.

I am a huge sucker for the 6th gen Accord coupes. I'd still like to have one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

The loving Versa. Everything is wrong with that car.

I mean, who makes the decision of "we're going to put bluetooth in here, but only for the phone. If you want to play music you're going to have to plug in an aux cable".

It's like they were actively trying to make it as poo poo as possible.

What ?? How could that be? They'd have to intentionally design it to be less useful ?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

euphronius posted:

What ?? How could that be? They'd have to intentionally design it to be less useful ?

It’s actually really common on older cars - calls and media use different Bluetooth profiles so which both need to be supported by the car.

If you look in your more modern car that has both profiles available you’ll be able to disconnect one while leaving the other connected.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

euphronius posted:

My Wife's 2013 Mini cooper is that way. If you wanted to stream bluetooth media, you would have had to pony up for the Mini connected setup with the center screen for multiple thousands more. Bastards. As it is, it's got an odd adapter thing that plugs into both the USB and aux ports and has an ipod 32 pin connector at the other end. Works pretty well all things considered.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Mental Hospitality posted:

So many kids had these in high school, most with big gently caress off dual exhausts.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

dissss posted:

It’s actually really common on older cars - calls and media use different Bluetooth profiles so which both need to be supported by the car.

If you look in your more modern car that has both profiles available you’ll be able to disconnect one while leaving the other connected.

Not by like 2016 though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

My brother got one with an automatic even tho I told him not to get an automatic because they are garbage. About six months later the trans took a poo poo, he paid 1500 to fix it, and a few months later it got totaled :v:

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

D C posted:

So many kids had these in high school, most with big gently caress off dual exhausts.

How can you people talk about this one when the prelude existed at the same time. That was the ultimate Honda for me besides the S2000, DC2 integra and NSX.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MikeyTsi posted:

Not by like 2016 though.

In a Versa, it's probably because they need an entry-level radio to push you to spend more.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Kraftwerk posted:

How can you people talk about this one when the prelude existed at the same time. That was the ultimate Honda for me besides the S2000, DC2 integra and NSX.

I used to work with a girl who had a Prelude SH, it was a very cool car.

Edit:

This sounds familiar:

quote:

Nevertheless, almost every remaining potential coupe customer (read: the few who hadn’t jumped on the sport/utility bandwagon)

from http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/prelude/1997/1997-honda-prelude-sh/

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 24, 2018

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Kraftwerk posted:

Seeing as my wife had a 1999 accord V6 coupe at the time, with those bigass dual cans :quagmire: because she hated the headlights on the Prelude. The prelude also didn't have an option for a V6 either.

Speaking of which, you really don't see preludes driving around anymore. All the 4 cylinder 'hot' Hondas seem to have long since died, like the RSX and Integra of the time. I still see 6th gen accord sedans and coupes driving around almost daily. This is in Houston, where rust isn't a thing.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

BloodBag posted:

Seeing as my wife had a 1999 accord V6 coupe at the time, with those bigass dual cans :quagmire: because she hated the headlights on the Prelude. The prelude also didn't have an option for a V6 either.

Speaking of which, you really don't see preludes driving around anymore. All the 4 cylinder 'hot' Hondas seem to have long since died, like the RSX and Integra of the time. I still see 6th gen accord sedans and coupes driving around almost daily. This is in Houston, where rust isn't a thing.

My dad sold my 91’ Prelude Si with the 4WS while I was away at college for $1500. Only had 100K on it. Admittedly it had some damage on the door, but I was planning on fixing it.

I still sometimes get mad thinking about that. That thing was so much loving fun, especially with non-poo poo tires

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
All 10th gen civics look awesome, especially the hatch, Si, and Type R. I wish my Si had the type R exhaust though. The HDMI port is weird.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

Goober Peas posted:

Like that girl in class with the external orthodontics

You mean the girl that couldn’t eat sweets, so she stayed thin, had kind of low self esteem, and ended up with a beautiful smile?

I guess I’m saying make friends with the new type R now so that you can bang it later?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
"hatchback"

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

:colbert:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If I were in the market for a C-segment car my brain would explode trying to come to terms with the paradox of the Golf being the best car and also being a VW.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

wrong thread oops

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 25, 2018

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I am digging the carbon and pink accent lighting combo

https://twitter.com/Earlsimxx/status/956633511204671488

https://twitter.com/Earlsimxx/status/956633611746336768

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I like everything about the E63 except the stupid iPad instrument cluster.

I much prefer the M5 interior by comparison.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I don't think I like anything about that interior. Why are there so many air vents in the same place? Is there no room in the middle to send air to the rear passengers so you just have to shoot it straight from the front I guess?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

davebo posted:

I don't think I like anything about that interior. Why are there so many air vents in the same place? Is there no room in the middle to send air to the rear passengers so you just have to shoot it straight from the front I guess?

it probably has vents in the center console/armrest assembly that direct the air to the back seat passengers

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Is the harrisburg car show worth going to ?

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Is the...is the dash and the infotainment system both on the same tablet? That is loving hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

dk2m posted:

Is the...is the dash and the infotainment system both on the same tablet? That is loving hilarious
It’s two separate screens but designed to look like one continuous panel.