Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henker
May 5, 2009

The funny thing is the comic source material is almost austere in its grim darkness. There's barely any dialogue, instead it uses the dramatically lit, tenebrist-like black and white art to convey the mood of the world. I also think an important element is the fact that the "hero" of the comic is this weak, frog-like looking dude, not some muscly barbarian.

This? It's like someone took all the worst elements of the Conan universe and thought adding a bunch of "fucks" would make it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
So if that's a ridiculous KS-only success, will their future games move even further towards "get it all on kickstarter, or get a few scraps of a game from a retailer eventually?"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

I hate to keep being negative about the project, but jesus christ the tribes look exactly the same

If you dropped all the minis on the ground, how would you tell which is from which tribe without looking at the manual?

I don't know what you're talking about. Tribe Evil Pumpkin collects skulls. Tribe Vagina Dentata Mask collects skulls with the skin still on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m loving this reddit thread with people describing their favourite board games in the CMON style.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Henker posted:

The funny thing is the comic source material is almost austere in its grim darkness. There's barely any dialogue, instead it uses the dramatically lit, tenebrist-like black and white art to convey the mood of the world. I also think an important element is the fact that the "hero" of the comic is this weak, frog-like looking dude, not some muscly barbarian.

This? It's like someone took all the worst elements of the Conan universe and thought adding a bunch of "fucks" would make it better.
I even just read through the first book online and yeah, it doesn't look at all like what this game is. The tribes seem to be gigantic armies (one of which looked like some kind of lizard people), not these small same-looking buff dudes. Also, ehhhhh, the comic was not my tastes. Too much "dramatic art" over readability so half the time I couldn't really see what was going on. I don't mind Adrian Smith as a single frame artist, but as a storyteller, he's too confusing to me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Sig, or "I Can't Believe It's Not Planescape", got its physical copy to my doorstop yesterday.

Haven't had too much time to flip through it, but it's a successful thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Henker posted:

Conan would have an excellent chance of having the civilized people as cannibals, my friend.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Conan would have an excellent chance of having the civilized people as cannibals, my friend.

When you remember that Howard grew up around 1920s Texas oil boom workers, that makes total sense. Who knows what grim debauchery occurs in darkest Chicago?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well it's true but he goes even farther than that. I mean Howard's beliefs are literally that civilization is as (or more) brutal than anything in the wilderness, with the added kicker of making people into weak decadent amoral shitbags.

How he describes city guards facing Conan: piss scared that their weak fat asses will get owned

quote:

He knew, if the others were too stupid to know, the steel-trap muscles and blinding quickness of men raised beyond civilization's frontiers where life was a continual battle for existence, and he had no desire to loose the barbaric frenzy of the Cimmerian if it could be avoided.

These cops, btw, are quick to beat the poo poo out of regular people for info (and enjoy doing it).

quote:

Posthumo slapped him terrifically first on one side of the face and then on the other, and continued the interrogation by flinging him to the floor and kicking him with vicious accuracy.

'Mercy!' moaned the victim. 'I'll tell—I'll tell anything—'

'Then get up, you cur!' roared Posthumo, swelling with self-importance. 'Don't lie there whining.'

Dionus cast a quick glance at Conan to see if he were properly impressed.

'You see what happens to those who cross the police,' he said.

The Cimmerian spat with a sneer of cruel contempt for the moaning clerk.

'He's a weakling and a fool,' he growled. 'Let one of you touch me and I'll spill his guts on the floor.'

His biggest self-insert character hates cops and authority. The fundamental reality of his universe is that civilization weakens people and exploits them. He's a libertarian doofus but I like him despite it all.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well it's true but he goes even farther than that. I mean Howard's beliefs are literally that civilization is as (or more) brutal than anything in the wilderness, with the added kicker of making people into weak decadent amoral shitbags.

This is true, but also an oversimplification, and Howard's personal views are not so clear. Despite his disdain for authority, Conan eventually wins a throne, and then fights to keep it. He fully recognizes the benefits of civilization, and desires some of them, even though his crown rests "upon a troubled brow." Howard never wrote an end to Conan's life, so we don't know if he intended to have Conan eventually reject civilization entirely, but I doubt that he intended to.

Howard's Conan stories are not so much about promoting a libertarian viewpoint as "the correct answer;" it's more that he's countering the narrative of "civilization" as inherently or always superior, and also presenting his character as genuinely torn between his barbarous instincts and roots, and the allure and attraction of all the rewards civilized places have to offer. He was interested in the tension between savagery as a "pure" but unrelentingly harsh way to live, where a man's personal ethics and conduct are the only rules he has to live by, and the obvious rewards and benefits of civilization: wealth, learning, luxury, great achievements of architecture and science, etc. Conan openly disdains the corruption and greed of civilized lands, even while he can't bring himself to stay away from them.

And remember that his 1920s and 30s audience had the horrific brutality of WWI in recent living memory, and were witnessing the rise of fascism. It wasn't necessarily clear to everyone at that point that civilization would survive the 20th century, or if it deserved to, and Howard was evoking those fears with his stories.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

It should be easy to tell them apart once you take the description of each tribe into account.

Tribe of ___ - Blood-frenzied maniacs, their recklessness is their greatest strength, though it can often be their weakness.
Tribe of ___ - Hive minded, they move as one, to strike like a horde.
Tribe of ___ - Jacks of all trades, they are relentless and always prepared for changes in the tide of battle.
Tribe of ___ - Fearless berserkers, they leave a trail of blood where they go, even if some of it is their own.

...or were those all descriptions of the same tribe? I forget.

They're all the tribe of "Um...Ok."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Here’s an annoying KS for three different Japanese modular games. They could all be different Kickstarters, but nooooo. :mad:

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Anyone interested in Nemesis?

I haven't heard anything about the company before, and I'm not sure if I like the Aliens-but-not-quite aesthetic. But it seems to be really taking off.

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 20, 2018

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Luebbi posted:

I haven't heard anything about the company before, and I'm not sure if I like the Aliens-but-not-quite aesthetic. But it seems to be really taking off.

Well if the writing is any indication, it's made by a 14 year-olds.

quote:

"Jerry, big news! We’ve received the first transmission with some preliminary data. It seems it’s an auxotrophic, anaerobic, mineral-based trans-dimensional life form (what a mouthful). No DNA, XNA or anything else we could expect. Instead, a strange self-propagating crystalline structure. Outer skin layer? Pure Lonsdaleite! We've never seen more than few grains on Earth, and this thing is covered in it! Fifty percent tougher than diamond, go figure."

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Afriscipio posted:

Well if the writing is any indication, it's made by a 14 year-olds.

They're Polish. I've heard decent to good things about their other games, so I'm interested, though I wish I'd been paying attention when Lord of Hella was up.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
They also said in their FAQ that they'd hire professional english writers for the manual. I backed it now, will see what reviews say about it at release and then keep it or sell it on ebay.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Luebbi posted:

They did This War of Mine and Lords of Hellas.

I'm getting both, and have heard amazing things for both. Good enough for me :V

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If you want nerdy coffee table books, Tokaido's art is pretty drat great:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funforge/the-art-of-tokaido

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PSC have this WW2 2 player strategy card game project going, no money to back it so haven't really looked into it in any detail

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

If you want nerdy coffee table books that arrive in 2021, Tokaido's art is pretty drat great:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/funforge/the-art-of-tokaido

Fixed that for you.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
ADMIN of daShareZ0ne fame has put up a KS for a card game called the Devil's Level.

To quote the page,

ADMIN posted:

THE DEVIL'S LEVEL IS A CARD GAME WHERE YOU CONTROLL YOUR DEPRESSION LEVEL, HORNY LEVEL AND GENIUS LEVEL TO GET LEVELS OF 6/6/6 "THE DEVIL'S LEVEL"

WHEN YOU REACH 6/6/6 YOU WIN

THE GAME IS FOR 2 PLAYERS OR MORE. PROBLY AS MUCH AS 8 PLAYERS.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A Z0NE HEAD OR READ MY SIGHT, IF YOUR COOL YOU WILL LIKE IT.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BinaryDoubts posted:

ADMIN of daShareZ0ne fame has put up a KS for a card game called the Devil's Level.

To quote the page,

I have never backed faster

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
"I PROMISE IT WORK'S" --ADMIN

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Guy Goodbody posted:

I have never backed faster

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I don’t get it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The_Doctor posted:

I don’t get it.

"It" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here, do you not get ShareZone? Or the card game? Or the irreverent style?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"It" is doing a lot of heavy lifting here, do you not get ShareZone? Or the card game? Or the irreverent style?

All of... <waves arms in that general direction> that. Card games I get, but not the wrappings in this case.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

The_Doctor posted:

All of... <waves arms in that general direction> that. Card games I get, but not the wrappings in this case.

Here is the best way I have seen to describe daShareZ0ne: They (it's a group account AFAIK) follow everyone on Twitter who is named Jonathan Davis. If that doesn't help you, you're beyond helping.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

So "Hip memes: The cardgame?"

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I love ironically backing a lovely game almost as much as I love playing ironically dumb games! Please pour more warmed over UNO clones down my throat.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

@drilOPOLOY

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Evan Dorkin is working on this though?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

moths posted:

Evan Dorkin is working on this though?

How does that make it a good game?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

some loving LIAR posted:

Here is the best way I have seen to describe daShareZ0ne: They (it's a group account AFAIK) follow everyone on Twitter who is named Jonathan Davis. If that doesn't help you, you're beyond helping.

Oh, like @dril (also a group account, apparently). My boyfriend apparently gets this a lot more than I do. I showed him the KS and he's all for it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Crackbone posted:

So "Hip memes: The cardgame?"

Is a horny skeleton with IBS a meme now? Or is it a mascot? Or is it just a character?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did everybody who backed it get a message?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Guy Goodbody posted:

Did everybody who backed it get a message?

It was the best thing that happened to me today.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BinaryDoubts posted:

To quote the page,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lffg88WDRg

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No one fund this loving thing. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Just because you can't monetize your unfunny gimmick doesn't mean you have to hate on other people who can, dog.