Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MightyJoe36 posted:

Probably because their garage is so crammed with junk that they can't fit their cars in there. That always kills me: $1,000 worth of useless junk crammed in the garage, and a $40,000 SUV/luxury car sitting outside in the elements.
It's not! That's the extra-infuriating thing! The garage has a few things in it, but it's definitely not stuffed to the gills, and when they open the side door to let their (barky) dog out, all I see in there is an expanse of concrete floor.

In an ironic twist, our garage-door opener froze up on us yesterday, so now our car is in our driveway, too. :( poo poo's getting fixed tout de suite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

One lady let her kid hang off the front of the shopping cart like a masthead, with how fast she was barreling around corners and how much everyone was a loving rear end in a top hat, it's a miracle that kid didn't end up hitting another shopping cart.
I've seen a kid topple over a shopping cart hanging off the side. Was pretty impressed actually, I thought their center of gravity would be way lower.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is it weird that I'd hate being nude canoeing or hiking? Doesn't sound any better than what I'd normally wear, and if I'm hiking I'm at least in pants and boots bc I'm going to be going through some nasty terrain with possible snakes or bugs or just pokey uncomfortable plants. I've also had fire ants bite my balls and rear end in a top hat once so. I'm keeping my clothes, thanks. Plus like, sunburn, mosquitos, ugh. Sounds horrid.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it weird that I'd hate being nude canoeing or hiking? Doesn't sound any better than what I'd normally wear, and if I'm hiking I'm at least in pants and boots bc I'm going to be going through some nasty terrain with possible snakes or bugs or just pokey uncomfortable plants. I've also had fire ants bite my balls and rear end in a top hat once so. I'm keeping my clothes, thanks. Plus like, sunburn, mosquitos, ugh. Sounds horrid.

Not at all. There are some things where being naked makes it more enjoyable, but I don't think hiking or canoeing are among them. The only time I've even heard of it being a thing was around hot springs etc but I think they only get naked once they get to them.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Depends on where you are, where we are it's mostly flat with wide trails so terrain is not an issue. I can totally see though if you are doing real hiking and camping why you would keep the clothes on, as they say "Nude when possible, clothed when practical".

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've also had fire ants bite my balls and rear end in a top hat once so.

Haha what? Why and how??

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Not at all. There are some things where being naked makes it more enjoyable, but I don't think hiking or canoeing are among them. The only time I've even heard of it being a thing was around hot springs etc but I think they only get naked once they get to them.

It's not like I'm naked traveling to the place, I'm not even naked the whole time I'm there. It's like a planned camp ground with a full staff and two restaurants, I'm not out in nature fleeing from bears or getting my balls and rear end attacked by fire ants

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually there are black bears on the hiking trails apparently but it's pretty infrequent since it's near actual civilization

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Big gay black dudes like to naked hike too, don't judge.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't want a bear to bite me in the wing-wang while hiking, so I'll keep my clothes on thank you

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't want a bear to bite me in the wing-wang while hiking, so I'll keep my clothes on thank you

If a bear wants some wang meat I don't think you're gonna have a say my friend, those jeans aren't gonna do poo poo. Might as well just get it over with

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Big gay black dudes like to naked hike too, don't judge.

lol yeah those do exist

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Iron Crowned posted:

A big enough bear can kill you just with the force of it's paw swipe, unless you're Troy Hurtubise it won't matter.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I know this is the peeve thread and they're often not rational at all, but why do any of you give a poo poo what a person does with their garage/driveway? I get being annoyed when people take up space on the street, but if their car is out of the way on their own property then problem solved. My only exception to this is this one guy in my neighborhood who apparently commutes in a semi truck. I'm not exaggerating at all, it's not just a lifted F350 or something, it's an actual Freightliner truck. That thing blocks sight lines around the corner, sticks out into the sidewalk, and just generally dominates any view down the street.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aesop Poprock posted:

Haha what? Why and how??

I was a little kid camping with my dad. I don't really remember how it happened but man I remember the aftermath.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

I know this is the peeve thread and they're often not rational at all, but why do any of you give a poo poo what a person does with their garage/driveway?
Just generally making GBS threads up the neighborhood. Two cars in every driveway plus cars lining both sides of the road make the place look like a dump.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hirayuki posted:

Just generally making GBS threads up the neighborhood. Two cars in every driveway plus cars lining both sides of the road make the place look like a dump.

It also means any visitors of theirs have to park on the street, causing further clutter and if it's a heavy street-parking area, possibly loving over residents without driveways.

This happened to me. I lived in a driveway-less apartment in Kingston on a street where some people had driveways and some had to street park. So unused driveways/garages, especially friday/saturday nights, meant I'd have to park blocks away from my place.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Hirayuki posted:

I believe this discussion now belongs in the First World Problems thread.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was a little kid camping with my dad. I don't really remember how it happened but man I remember the aftermath.

Jesus, I loved ants when I was a kid but this probably would have made me reconsider this immediately if they bit my testicles and rear end

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Aesop Poprock posted:

Jesus, I loved ants when I was a kid but this probably would have made me reconsider this immediately if they bit my testicles and rear end

I've been shot but the fire ants hurt way loving worse. Holy gently caress

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Hirayuki posted:

One of our dumbfuck neighbors has had two large vehicles parked on the road right up to the edge of our driveway, well onto our property, for months now. They literally have not moved, not even after we got a foot of snow (more at the foot of our driveway when the plows had to maneuver around the vehicles). The law clearly specifies a 48-hour limit on street-parked cars, but the abandoned-vehicle division of the local PD just shrugs at my complaints. Another of their vehicles is parked across from our driveway, although it disappears overnight when its driver takes it to work. They have a two-car garage and a two-car driveway. It's real fun trying to drive down our street (especially if someone is happening to drive from the other direction at the same time), much less get into or out of our own driveway.

Our other dumbfuck neighbors have a two-car garage and still park their loving cars on their driveway. People would kill for garages in this weather/climate!

Does your city not have a by-law office? My dad got his car ticketed two days in a row because he hadn't moved his car off of the street (24h max parking), and all because someone called.

He also had to get rid of another car that we didn't drive a year or two before that because an unknown neighbour called the by-law office.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Then you risk becoming "that neighbor" who is always spying on everyone and calling the city/cops over every little thing because they fear confrontation. Most of the time if you are polite and come to them first and express in a calm rational way why what they are doing is bothering you, they will at least make some effort to not be an rear end in a top hat.

If they continue being an rear end in a top hat after that then by all means call the authorities, but it should never be your first option.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Then you risk becoming "that neighbor" who is always spying on everyone and calling the city/cops over every little thing because they fear confrontation. Most of the time if you are polite and come to them first and express in a calm rational way why what they are doing is bothering you, they will at least make some effort to not be an rear end in a top hat.

If they continue being an rear end in a top hat after that then by all means call the authorities, but it should never be your first option.

On the other hand, If I see something that's making a mess I'll at least call the appropriate number to get it fixed or cleaned up. like for a damaged window on a bus stop or a malfunctioning street light I have called the council to report it so that they can fix it, or once I saw an abandoned fridge in a field right next to a no-flytipping sign so immediately called it in to get it disposed of properly.

I actually find it kind of fun sometimes - I get to use the serial numbers on lampposts after only seeing them for years and wondering what they were for, you never get to actually need those. It feels kind of special to say "Ok, Lights a, b and c at crossing 14a on the corner of [Street] and [Road] are fine, but light D is refusing to light the Wait light properly - sometimes it works fine, but it has intermittently refused to light up without being pressed at least 3 times..." or "The Lamppost 36534's bulb has burned out..." It's different enough that I actually find it a little fun. :3: I'd not confront a flytipper directly though. Too much of a coward.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Well, yeah. I was just wondering whether or not it's something the police handle or if it's something the city itself would handle.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MightyJoe36 posted:

Probably because their garage is so crammed with junk that they can't fit their cars in there. That always kills me: $1,000 worth of useless junk crammed in the garage, and a $40,000 SUV/luxury car sitting outside in the elements.

Well my car is designed to be able to stay out in the rain and snow, my electric smoker, mower, weed whacker, etc... aren't.

That being said, I do have enough room in my tiny, 1-car garage for all my stuff that has to stay in there AND still have my fiance's car park in there. I stay on the street simply because she leaves for work before me and gets home first, and the driveway is 1-car wide, so it's a lot easier than doing some kind of car shuffle...and she has a newer/nicer car so it makes more sense for me to park on the street and risk my mirror getting hit than her.

But I'm always just in front of my own home, nowhere near my neighbors' driveways, and it's a decently wide street with parking only on 1-side anyway so it's not a big deal.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well my car is designed to be able to stay out in the rain and snow, my electric smoker, mower, weed whacker, etc... aren't.

That being said, I do have enough room in my tiny, 1-car garage for all my stuff that has to stay in there AND still have my fiance's car park in there. I stay on the street simply because she leaves for work before me and gets home first, and the driveway is 1-car wide, so it's a lot easier than doing some kind of car shuffle...and she has a newer/nicer car so it makes more sense for me to park on the street and risk my mirror getting hit than her.

But I'm always just in front of my own home, nowhere near my neighbors' driveways, and it's a decently wide street with parking only on 1-side anyway so it's not a big deal.

How loving rich are you that you have a garage, 3+ heavy-duty appliances, and two cars, but somehow still justify being inconvenient to everyone else instead of, you know, using your expensive purposefully-designed car park area?

I mean poo poo, I've spent half my adult life wishing I had a communal driveway and here you are.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Jan 25, 2018

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Like he says, cars can always go outside, but stuff like a mower and weed whacker (which aren't "heavy duty" things, part of basic lawn maintenance) can't.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Store pet peeve: stores *cough* Target *cough* that start selling swimsuits Jan 1st. It’s 10 degrees out, and you won’t be able to swim until at least June unless you like water that’s 35 degrees. I wanted a new coat but nope! None! Ok except the XXL one on the clearance work but I don’t want to look like a literal clown. And the closest Burlington is a) 45 minutes away and b) is lovely and doesn’t have good coats. The good Burlington is an hour and 45 minutes away. gently caress you, Target.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

Store pet peeve: stores *cough* Target *cough* that start selling swimsuits Jan 1st. It’s 10 degrees out, and you won’t be able to swim until at least June unless you like water that’s 35 degrees. I wanted a new coat but nope! None! Ok except the XXL one on the clearance work but I don’t want to look like a literal clown. And the closest Burlington is a) 45 minutes away and b) is lovely and doesn’t have good coats. The good Burlington is an hour and 45 minutes away. gently caress you, Target.

Indoor/heated pools are a thing, but yeah, certain stores' tendency to believe that winter ends in early January and no one could possibly ever need hats and gloves after that* is infuriating.

___
*For context, I'm in Minnesota

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

docbeard posted:

Indoor/heated pools are a thing, but yeah, certain stores' tendency to believe that winter ends in early January and no one could possibly ever need hats and gloves after that* is infuriating.

___
*For context, I'm in Minnesota

I’m sure the people using indoor/heated pools already have swimsuits, and if they didn’t they could order online. For example, I recently had to stay in a hotel with a pool, and I brought one of the three swimsuits I own.

The only people I can think of that need swimsuits in winter are like, hardcore or professional swimmers but they have sports stores and also online for that, so they’re not going to be shopping for a bikini.

Bleh.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

I’m sure the people using indoor/heated pools already have swimsuits, and if they didn’t they could order online. For example, I recently had to stay in a hotel with a pool, and I brought one of the three swimsuits I own.

The only people I can think of that need swimsuits in winter are like, hardcore or professional swimmers but they have sports stores and also online for that, so they’re not going to be shopping for a bikini.

Bleh.

I am, I guess, taking the radical position that it is okay for a store to sell swimwear and also cold weather gear. Like they're not going to explode if they come into contact with each other or anything.

I assume. I'm not really in the clothing industry.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

docbeard posted:

I am, I guess, taking the radical position that it is okay for a store to sell swimwear and also cold weather gear. Like they're not going to explode if they come into contact with each other or anything.

But, but, planograms!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Thin Privilege posted:

Some people go to sunny places in the doldrums of January, February and March and might like a swimsuit.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Indolent Bastard posted:

Some people go to sunny places in the doldrums of January, February and March and might like a swimsuit.

Internet. And like I said, they most likely already have a swim suit.

The point is that 1/2 of the women’s section is now swimsuits and they are literally the first thing you see as you walk into the store.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm sure someone out there is buying them enough to make it profitable to start selling them then, otherwise they wouldn't do it. I mean yeah people could just order them online, but that goes for basically everything you'd buy at target.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

Thin Privilege posted:

Internet. And like I said, they most likely already have a swim suit.

The point is that 1/2 of the women’s section is now swimsuits and they are literally the first thing you see as you walk into the store.

They put swimsuits or lingerie by main entrances to department stores to arouse men, who have been proven to spend more money when aroused.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

docbeard posted:

I mean this is a really nice idea and I agree with you, but in practice once the swimwear comes out, it's taking up the places on the sales floor that used to be winter clothing, and the winter clothing itself is now on the clearance rack if there's any left at all, so the problem is really less that they are selling swimwear at all and more that they are selling swimwear to the exclusion of actual seasonally useful items

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MisterBibs posted:

Like he says, cars can always go outside, but stuff like a mower and weed whacker (which aren't "heavy duty" things, part of basic lawn maintenance) can't.

Seriously, I'd harder consider a ten year old lawn mower my dad gave to me when I got the house and a $50 weed whacker "heavy duty." And the smoke is pretty small, size of a dorm fridge or thereabouts, Christmas gift from the fiance this year.

That's the street view in front of my house...that's not actually my car, that's from about a year before I bought it. I park a bit further back than where that car is, the center of my car being more or less in line with my front walkway. I'm only ever in front of my own house, even if I have visitors who park on the street, I can generally fit 3 cars in the space in front of my house.

I do park in the driveway in bad weather, though, so that more of the street can be plowed, I don't risk getting my car hit by a plow truck, and to make it easier for cars driving by on the street since it'd be less than ideal conditions.

Trust me, I feel for the people who don't have off-street parking and get hosed over by people who do but choose not to use it, but that's never the case for my street. All single family homes w driveways, most with garages, and there's no homes on the other side of the street for almost the entire length of the street because of a large cemetery.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

Does your city not have a by-law office? My dad got his car ticketed two days in a row because he hadn't moved his car off of the street (24h max parking), and all because someone called.

He also had to get rid of another car that we didn't drive a year or two before that because an unknown neighbour called the by-law office.
I have been That Neighbor. A couple years back, when I was tired of the truck perpetually parked across the street from the same van (belonging to a different neighbor, or more precisely to his basement-dwelling dullard son), I called the Abandoned Vehicles Desk of the police department, the people responsible for this kind of violation per our township ordinances. Every week I'd call and leave a voicemail, until one day the dude picked up.

He said, "Look, we ran the plates, and it's registered to that address, so :shrug:." I argued that it didn't matter who owned the thing: it was illegally parked, period. He said people park on the street and go on vacations and stuff, and oh well. "What if you parked your car on the street and left for a week's vacation?" he asked. "I'd expect my car to have been towed when I got back, because it's illegal to park on the street for more than 48 hours." Motherfucker, those are the rules. Enforcing them is your job.

I didn't get anywhere else with him apart from an impressively Gallic combination of :geno: and :shrug:, and him insisting there was leeway and we should instead focus on being "neighborly". So I wrote a snail-mail letter to his boss, the chief of police. Within a week, the truck had that telltale neon sticker on the driver's side window; it was moved before it got towed.

But then here we are, two years later to the month, and both that truck and this van (along with two other vehicles that, while inconveniently parked, do at least move around a little bit) are still on this loving street, and why should I bother calling when I know poo poo ain't gonna get done?

I'm going to send my husband next door to talk about the van. They're otherwise fine neighbors, and they've come to us asking for us to please not use our side garage light because it shines right into their window, or to please trim up the pine bordering their property because it pokes 'em in the eye when they mow the lawn. And we've fixed the situation right away. So there's hope.

- - -

Another vaguely related pet peeve: People who stop at a red light a full car-length behind the car in front of them. WHY. :psyduck: If I still had my zippy little Corolla, I swear to Christ I'd pull into that gap. Is this just a metro Detroit thing? So many poo poo drivers here, but this behavior seems pretty loving weird on top of the usual bad driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Hirayuki posted:

Another vaguely related pet peeve: People who stop at a red light a full car-length behind the car in front of them. WHY. :psyduck: If I still had my zippy little Corolla, I swear to Christ I'd pull into that gap. Is this just a metro Detroit thing? So many poo poo drivers here, but this behavior seems pretty loving weird on top of the usual bad driving.

Definitely not just Detroit; happens lots in Toronto too. Maybe a Great Lakes thing?

One car length isn't too bad, but I'm talking three or four car lengths, in dry conditions, with excellent visibility. Why? Bonus points if they're blocking you from making a turn.