Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

No one cares that you didn't like it

Its the only statement I was trying to make that y'all thought was like some larger indictment. Everyone here cares that I don't like 0080 soo excuse me for thinking my opinions were important in here :wink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Its the only statement I was trying to make that y'all thought was like some larger indictment. Everyone here cares that I don't like 0080 soo excuse me for thinking my opinions were important in here :wink:

Just because you don't know the difference between pink and orange doesn't mean that anyone cares, actually

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

No one cares that you didn't like it

And nobody cares that you like the show with the really bad designs either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Don't be silly, nobody likes Age.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

But I don't like whatever your favourite show is?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well I mean if you like G-Reco you're beyond saving anyways

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ImpAtom posted:

I would have bought an MG Age3 Orbtial, but that's about it yeah.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I think not liking Turn A and/or War in the Pocket is punishment enough on its own. No need to salt the wound.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

0083 Stardu-*WHAT DID I TELL YOU*

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
My favorite Gundam show is the one with mobile suits

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dangerous Person posted:

poo poo taste, bro.

Now, the one with the Mobile Fighters? That one's good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I like Destiny not because of what it is, but what it could have been.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

My favorite is Turn A but the more I think about it the more I realize G-reco is probably my second favorite.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I post a perfectly good picture of a Grimoire and y'all still be yelling about colors

Shame, Gundam thread.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

G-Reco is always going to win the mobile suit design war because of THIS motherfucker:

Fear the Grimoire

Not empty quoting.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

G-Reco is always going to win the mobile suit design war because of THIS motherfucker:

Fear the Grimoire

probably my second favorite mook after the flag

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Char sets a high bar for suits with that color scheme in terms of importance and skill and the value of person inside them.

Most Gundam shows reserve that color setup for someone who has an impact. I did not feel that the lady in G Reco did anything to warrant that allusion.

Even looking at those images kinda red/pink still. Some of the Gunpla are more explicit, but the show (maybe it's my color correction software) doesn't scream this is an orange/grey suit and not a red/pink suit.

Char's colors were pink and red. the G-Arcane was orange and grey

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So was that G-Reco movie that Tomino was supposedly making ever actually a thing or should we stop assuming its coming?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

My favorite is Turn A but the more I think about it the more I realize G-reco is probably my second favorite.

I do want to check out G-Reco at some point, but I can't shake the feeling I'm either going to love it and not be able to shut up about its virtues in every conversation where it comes up, or absolutely loathe it with the fire of a thousand suns, and not be able to shut up about it when it comes up.

Basically, the problem is I'm insufferable enough already.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

It's not a long show so even if you hate it it's not like it was a huge time investment. Just watch it dude.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 23, 2018

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The mobile suits in G reco being all shades of pastel and cute doesn't even scan as a valid complaint, since the show is a huge critique of Japanese rearmament and it ties into how the real-life JSDF uses anime girls and saccharine mascot characters to promote itself. poo poo, there was even a story during G recos air period about how the JSDF did a full blown itasha wrap to a couple helicopters as part of a recruitment campaign.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Droyer posted:

:cheers:

I loving love G-Reco and I don't get people who hate it.

Edit: Then again I also liked Brain Powerd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can understand complaints about G-Reco but I feel like they get a bit overblown at times.

The pacing is loving insane, the characters act absurdly weirdly, the show has some of the weirdest exposition ever, and the plot sort of ends on a whimper. It has a lot of complaints that are totally valid and I can absolutely understand why someone would prefer something more straightforward and less Tomino. but I'd rather have something weird but ambitious over something standard and unexceptional.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Frankly I found the pacing and lack of straight exposition in g reco to be a breath of fresh air, after years of shows -even those ostensibly not for children - being so loving scared of viewers losing the thread that they sacrificed every iota of narrative elegance to handhold and spoonfeed.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I might dislike G-Reco even more then Destiny.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Watched another episode of Victory. I still love how desperate the resistance fighters are. They guilt trip children into becoming guerilla soldiers for them. Üso sees the fighting and panics about them dying, parachutes into the battle, drops a building on a dude, nearly gets captured, then passes out while having panic attacks about the guillotine. The whole show has the hosed up nihilistic feeling of late Zeta Gundam so far, and I kinda love it.

I also love that the Gundam parts are mass produced and other people fly them. And the huge dark energy axes on the bad guy suits this episode.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

It's pink

Yes it is, the first scene of Zeta is him flying it around and sensing Kamille. Some other AEUG pilot gets it once he hops in the Hyaku Shiki.

Quattro’s Rick Dias was custom red while the Rick Dias of Apolly and Roberto were black. When he got the Hyaku Shiki all the Rick Dias became red. Same goes for the Schuzrum Dias used by the Republic of Zeon in ZZ.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Also it should be pointed out that they retcon Char’s suit color to a darker red in Origin than the salmon color he had in MSG.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

RevolverDivider posted:

I might dislike G-Reco even more then Destiny.

As someone who watched all of Gundam AGE, this opinion is awful and I want to put it away in jail forever. Destiny is bad. AGE levels of bad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Don't be silly, nobody likes Seed.

AGE designs were good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

I know a poor soul who really loves Age a lot. He doesn't like Kio and echoes all of the common complaints about the show(lovely treatment of lady characters, lovely pacing, too long) but he's watched it like 3 times and he got ridiculously amped when they announced the Age DLC for Gundam Versus. He's straining at the bit to play Farsia next week, of all things, and that's one of the worst and dumbest designs in the show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Frankly I found the pacing and lack of straight exposition in g reco to be a breath of fresh air, after years of shows -even those ostensibly not for children - being so loving scared of viewers losing the thread that they sacrificed every iota of narrative elegance to handhold and spoonfeed.

I found the lack of straight exposition to both be a common staple of Tomino shows going back at least 15 years and it's heavy use likely to be a factor because of it's episode number rather than personal preference on Tomino's part. King Gainer had the same number of episodes and had the exact same issue, for better or worse, with exposition not being very obvious at times. Turn-A does it too, but it's not as noticeable because it has twice as many episodes to space out exposition and give the show more room to breath. I haven't seen Brain Powerd, but my impression of it from reading various threads related to it over the years is that it shares those traits too.

I vaguely recall Tomino noting in interviews that part of his motivation in G-Reco was to make the show more child friendly since he felt like he failed at that in Turn-A; so it has brighter colors because Turn-A had more washed out, pastoral colors, it has a fight every episode because Turn-A didn't and so on. Extrapolating from that it would seem he'd be inclined to make exposition more obvious, not less. And frankly, I think it is at times. Characters narrate their feelings quite openly, like Aida weeping about how she doesn't feel like she can take command when pushed about it, exposition is some times obvious, like the teacher asking Bellri to narrate Minovsky stuff during the orbital elevator ride and the show over explains some kind of obvious things; with the example I always recall being the big rig arms in episode 1 and Bellri talking to himself about how they work in a quite unnatural way. It doesn't always do that by any stretch, and certainly makes developments like Raraiya's recovery more organic but I think part of what makes the show so divisive in conversation is that people act like it's completely different from previous works, even by the same author and never includes open exposition; neither of which is true. Not that I'm accusing you of that mind, just adding it as an addendum since it's a common issue to my experience and somewhat relevant to what I was saying.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love G-Reco because its a show that establishes the lower class used to been eaten by others in the most casual way possible and then completely flies by that point.
Also its about how Tomino hates space elevators, and yo, I am with him on that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Space elevators are only cool if you have an orbital ring to tether them to. Orbital rings are cool and probably more feasible.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Dangerous Person posted:

But what about the Morbil Zoots from outer spaze?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zedd posted:

But what about the Morbil Zoots from outer spaze?

No no no, the Morbil Zoots came from Gundanium Alloy made in outer space.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you needed another reason to dislike the antagonist of Unicorn, here you go:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

loving Neo Zeon, kill them all.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Forget Full Frontal, who signed off on bringing Murphy Brown back?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwXulrMrrZU

New trailer for Clash at Loum part 2