Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

Oh, I'd actually prefer death.

You don't have to watch the ads though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd prefer it if theater seats were toilets so I can just poop and pee and enjoy my movie at the same time.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
Saw that Battlestar Galactica is on both Hulu and Amazon Video and figured I'd run through that again but the two part, three hour pilot that kicks the show off is unavailable on both services?! What the gently caress? Kind of disappointing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

amazeballs posted:

Saw that Battlestar Galactica is on both Hulu and Amazon Video and figured I'd run through that again but the two part, three hour pilot that kicks the show off is unavailable on both services?! What the gently caress? Kind of disappointing.

It's on Hulu, just looked. The series is Battlestar Galactica (2004) and the two part mini series is Battlestar Galactica (2003).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

veni veni veni posted:

I'd prefer it if theater seats were toilets so I can just poop and pee and enjoy my movie at the same time.

unironically if I could pay an extra $10 to watch movies on the TheaterShitter, a la DBOX, I'd be a very happy man

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
when i become rich you best believe i'm gonna turn my bathrooms into movie theaters. imagine watching a film while taking a hot bath

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Medullah posted:

It's on Hulu, just looked. The series is Battlestar Galactica (2004) and the two part mini series is Battlestar Galactica (2003).

I am an idiot and jump to conclusions without doing my own investigation. Thank you for correcting me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m at work right now and we’re all watching the 80’s Family Feud. It’s a great show when you have a bunch of people yelling jokes and answers at the TV.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

when i become rich you best believe i'm gonna turn my bathrooms into movie theaters. imagine watching a film while taking a hot bath

It speaks volumes about me that I thought this was gonna end with "while taking a huge dump."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’m at work right now and we’re all watching the 80’s Family Feud. It’s a great show when you have a bunch of people yelling jokes and answers at the TV.

70s Match Game is better (and on Prime)

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

precision posted:

I think the new iphones have built in projectors? I know for sure you can get mobile projectors for sharper image-tier prices.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 23, 2018

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Or just like watch on ur laptop

Unmature
May 9, 2008
MoviePass is a no brainer even if you go once or twice a month. I have three theaters within walking distance or a short Lyft to Drafthouse and use it at least once a week, sometimes three times.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

K. Waste posted:

It speaks volumes about me that I thought this was gonna end with "while taking a huge dump."

No one is stopping you from taking a huge dump in the bath.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
no i'm talking about having a bathroom that's big enough to have a full movie screen in it

i said "when i'm rich", not "when i get my next paycheck" :v:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

No reason to stop at a bathroom. You could fit an entire apartment, minus the walls, in the center of a full IMAX theater.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A movie theater where every seat is a jacuzzi, and there is a wait staff.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

precision posted:

I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. So far I've only watched a movie in a theater on a recliner with a blanket and on a bean sofa.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

precision posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how you get cholera

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Watched Gerald's Game last night and it is an incredibly mixed bag. The movie, based on a Stephen King book, is about a woman who ends up stuck handcuffed to bedposts after her husband dies during foreplay. I don't really recommend it, because some elements of the story are unbelievably stupid. When adapting a book, it can be a good idea to remove entire plot elements and in this movie they left in one of the dumbest things I've seen in a while. I almost want to recommend the movie just because parts of it are so stupid and jarring. Overall I think the movie does a pretty good job of keeping the story interesting despite nearly the entire movie taking place inside of a single room. Instead of Carla talking to herself throughout the entire movie, they have her converse with a calmer composed version of herself that she pictures walking around the room and giving her advice. It's a smart way of adapting a book where I imagine most of the action is taking place inside of the protagonist's head. This movie also features a scene that made me cringe and watch through my hands worse than anything else I can remember.

If you're curious about the really stupid thing: She pictures a hulking figure in the room at a few points in the movie, played by the guy who played Lurch/The Giant from Twin Peaks. Throughout the movie you think that she's just imagining this spooky figure because she's hungry and panicked and losing her mind. Her dialogue with her husband and herself (imagined inner thoughts) creates an entire weird history about this Giant as some kind of boogeyman that collects trinkets after people die. This dude only shows up a handful of times during the movie but every time it feels like he's stumbled in from some other movie and shouldn't be there. Near the end of the movie she hands him her wedding ring and escapes the house. The movie should end around here after she makes it to safety and recovers... Instead, in the final ten minutes there's an extended explanation for the boogeyman, who has a name and had been robbing graves and working his way up to killing people. He has been captured by police and is standing trial for his crimes. She confronts him in the courtroom and his face changes to that of her father (who had molested her, shown in flashbacks earlier in the film). The boogeyman really existed, but I don't know why he's in the story at all. He's not actually her father, he's just there in this movie but in a way that isn't a twist reveal so much as a moment where you go, "what? why was he there? how was he there? that doesn't make any sense" Just looked up the wikipedia for this, in the book the dude is called The Space Cowboy, so, it could've been worse.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Jolo posted:

Watched Gerald's Game last night and it is an incredibly mixed bag. The movie, based on a Stephen King book...some elements of the story are unbelievably stupid.

Jolo posted:

Stephen King

Unbelievably stupid comes with the territory. That said, I really enjoyed this movie and fully agree the last 10 minutes should not be there. I liked the imagery of the boogie man throughout. It made sense she would be seeing things. But leave it ambiguous. I didn't need a short film within the movie telling me the entire story of...Space Cowboy.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

It just made me think of the bit in The Disaster Artist where Tommy thinks that maybe Johnny should be a vampire or have a flying car.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jolo posted:

This movie also features a scene that made me cringe and watch through my hands worse than anything else I can remember.

When I watched it I thought that the child sexual abuse scene was the most uncomfortable I was going to be in the movie and then the degloving scene happened

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Haven't seen this posted yet, but here's another tool to help you find stuff on Netflix: http://flixable.com/

It shows what Netflix is getting everyday or recently added and also has a list of stuff leaving Netflix. The interface doesn't really make Netflix feel more spontaneous, but hey. No more linking lists from Polygon!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpSbeiPLB30

precision posted:

70s Match Game is better (and on Prime)

Best part of Match Game was you could tell what part of the day the show was filmed by how sloshed everyone was.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how you get cholera

I was going to go with hot-tub folliculitis, but with the way this administration is working things you're probably not far off.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

precision posted:

Biff's big screen TV/hot tub room in BTTF2.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/i-am-not-your-negro/

Free to stream. A documentary that seems necessary today, and feels like a gut punch all the way through. The hell-raising clips that the director uses to juxtapose with the narration can make everything seem futile, but there's lots of hope to be found in the ending of the documentary. I think it's on Amazon Prime, too, but it's PBS and not Amazon!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It is on Prime and it's very good. You can't stream PBS on your game console or smart TV most likely!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I am Not Your Negro is incredible. Sam Jackson narration is fantastic, and Baldwin's prose is just unbelievable. Definitely recommend everyone checking that out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Just as a regular PSA, Ken Burns' The Civil War is still streaming on Netflix. Given how often the service hemorrhages licensed content, hop on that poo poo.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Just as a regular PSA, Ken Burns' The Civil War is still streaming on Netflix. Given how often the service hemorrhages licensed content, hop on that poo poo.

This is one thing that I think has been almost continuously available for years and years, I check on it from time to time (it's great, definitely watch it) and I don't recall it ever going away.

It's also available for free through PBS' own streaming apps/site as well.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Has anyone given the prison movie Shot Caller (currently on Prime) a spin? I watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 the other day and this came up on my recommends. Trailer looks interesting.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Has anyone given the prison movie Shot Caller (currently on Prime) a spin? I watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 the other day and this came up on my recommends. Trailer looks interesting.

I liked it well enough. Jon Bernthal is great in everything, and the rest of he cast is solid character actors.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'd never watched Dallas Buyers Club (Netflix) because I didn't know what it was about and the title and poster made me think it was about a group of attractive Southern real estate agents that took on the big boys or I don't know. Anyway, it's not that. It's a fantastic true story deal about a Texan scumbag with a heart of gold and Matt McConaghy really does well.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

precision posted:

I'd never watched Dallas Buyers Club (Netflix) because I didn't know what it was about and the title and poster made me think it was about a group of attractive Southern real estate agents that took on the big boys or I don't know. Anyway, it's not that. It's a fantastic true story deal about a Texan scumbag with a heart of gold and Matt McConaghy really does well.

It's really good and Jared Leto is also amazing in it.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

red19fire posted:

I liked it well enough. Jon Bernthal is great in everything, and the rest of he cast is solid character actors.

The trailer seems to give away every major story beat of the movie, is there to it than that?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

The trailer seems to give away every major story beat of the movie, is there to it than that?

It's not really treading any new ground in prison gang movies if that's what you mean. But it's a lot of solid work from solid actors, violent and visceral fight scenes, solid cinematography; there's nothing terribly lacking and I don't feel like I wasted my time. Brawl in Cell Block 99 was more arcade-y and felt like an homage to exploitation films, Shot Caller feels more measured.

I would also recommend A Ghost Story on Prime. I would describe it as hitting the same notes as Interstellar in half the time. If I saw this after a brutal breakup, I'd see it 8 more times and cry at each screening. It sets a reasonable goal and achieves it perfectly.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 27, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Brawl in Cell Block 99 is explicitly a fantasy (a dark one). I mean the prison system is terrible, but the film takes it into literally absurd territory, and it owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is that Harith Iskander standup special Netflix is pushing on me as completely dire as the trailer makes it look? Because it looks terrible