Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Calaveron posted:

This movie was entirely too good

I honestly thought the premise at first was that Hugh Jackman was gonna fight the robot in the poster instead of control him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I might be late for the discussion but I just saw "Birdboy" and loved it. If anyone can find a screening, I high recommend it. It's like if the sequel to Ernest and Celestine was Princess Mononoke.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Camel Camus posted:

I might be late for the discussion but I just saw "Birdboy" and loved it. If anyone can find a screening, I high recommend it. It's like if the sequel to Ernest and Celestine was Princess Mononoke.

Birdboy: The Forgotten Children?

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

That's right. Here's a trailer, though honestly I went into it relatively cold and think I enjoyed it a bit more for it.

https://youtu.be/MmcVSs43A8A

The contrast between the cutesy style of the film and the brutality of the setting is well balanced, used to intensify dramatic moments and never played out for laughs.

It's cute, heartbreaking and very clever. My only complaint is that it's too short. It juggles a handful of storylines that have to do with ecological devastation, puppy love, fascist messaging, runaways and drug addiction to name the most prominent themes. By the end I wanted it to keep going just to see those issues played out more.

It's based on a graphic novel that I'll definitely pick up if I can find a copy.

Aunque hablo Español, no noté muchos sentimientos pues "Españoles" aparte de unas escenas limitadas que se broman de la cristianidad y las fuerzas fascistas de Franco. De hecho me pareció toda una película con sensibilidad Japonesa, tanto en los temas sobre la devastación del medio ambiente que se ven en las películas de Studio Ghibli que en el humor absurdista. Ya que lo escribo, me doy cuenta de que también comparte mucho con los escritores más celebrados de latinoamerica como Marquez o Borges. Si hay alguien que conozca más la literatura Española que ya la ha visto, quizás puede comentar un poco de las formas que constituye una película Española.

Camel Camus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 14, 2018

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

New Animal Crossing movie looking good

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Camel Camus posted:

That's right. Here's a trailer, though honestly I went into it relatively cold and think I enjoyed it a bit more for it.

https://youtu.be/MmcVSs43A8A

The contrast between the cutesy style of the film and the brutality of the setting is well balanced, used to intensify dramatic moments and never played out for laughs.

It's cute, heartbreaking and very clever. My only complaint is that it's too short. It juggles a handful of storylines that have to do with ecological devastation, puppy love, fascist messaging, runaways and drug addiction to name the most prominent themes. By the end I wanted it to keep going just to see those issues played out more.

It's based on a graphic novel that I'll definitely pick up if I can find a copy.

Thanks, I'll try and check it out. Maybe it's just the trailer, but that dub looks like it's horrible and I hope the original dialogue is an improvement.

Sure does look like Ernest and Celestine, you're right.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had a GBS thread planned for which the prizes would be small but accurate figurines from Trolls, but since that's no longer on my agenda, if you e-mail me your address at sendthemtopick@gmail.com, I will send you a random Trolls figurine. To my Animation Thread friends :tipshat:.

You can request a specific one if you want but I have a random assortment so they might not be there.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

starkebn posted:

Thanks, I'll try and check it out. Maybe it's just the trailer, but that dub looks like it's horrible and I hope the original dialogue is an improvement.

Sure does look like Ernest and Celestine, you're right.

It's standard Gkids dubing, heard the same cast in a lot of their animes. I don't think it'd drag the movie down for me.

I'm suddenly reminded though of getting hyped for Jack and the Cuckoo Clock Heart and movie complety sinking my expectations, 60% of the dubbing to blame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6DWVd6qCEs

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Wow I didn't even realize that the trailer was in English. The version I saw was subtitled and I'm glad for it. That dubbing is pretty distracting.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Has anyone heard of Big Fish and Begonia?

A friend had us watch it (with a fan-subtitle since it never got an official one), it's really loving pretty and very much a tearjerker.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 15, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Robindaybird posted:

A friend had us watch it (with a fan-subtitle since it never got an official one), it's really loving pretty and very much a tearjerker.

I was really excited for it and resigned myself to waiting literally forever for it to get subbed. How was the translation you used?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I was really excited for it and resigned myself to waiting literally forever for it to get subbed. How was the translation you used?

I'm no chinese speaker, but I feel like the translated dialogue flowed pretty smoothly and didn't contradict anything on screen

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

I just watched it and it is incredible. I've never seen anything like it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's a crying shame it never got a release outside of China, because it really is an incredible movie. I'd link to the fansubtitle, but I'm pretty sure it's :filez: and against the TOS

Also for those going in blind, there is a mid-credits scene.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
First reviewers are out for Aardman's Early Man, and they generally seem positive.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

It's a crying shame it never got a release outside of China, because it really is an incredible movie. I'd link to the fansubtitle, but I'm pretty sure it's :filez: and against the TOS

Also for those going in blind, there is a mid-credits scene.

It really has to get a release eventually because it definitely feels like the start of something big for Chinese animation. Not knowing whether that will ever happen though I will strongly recommend people look into the fan sub.

The movie feels very fresh and different, or at least very Chinese rather than the western or japanese storytelling conventions I am more familiar with. For starters all the Taoist inspired art is amazing, like there are background characters of little importance that have incredible detailed designs. Then the story itself being about reckless passionate young people making a huge mess of things for themselves and everyone else is a little different to how these things usually go.

It has a pretty dense mythology to it as well. My favourite part is how the soul keeper and rat matron (two beings who watch over the dead) are neither evil or good. The soul keeper in particular is like a corrupt businessman or government official, who seems to simultaneously enjoy tempting the protagonists into disaster but also offers passionate warnings and pity.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's some pretty amazing character art out there done in a very traditional style, including a couple of characters that never actually made it into the movie.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Is Big Fish and Begonia kid-friendly? That is, would it traumatize an 8-year-old?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robindaybird posted:

I'm not sure if CineD differs on this front, but generally the forums are more lenient on piracy if there's no actual legal way to get something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm not sure if CineD differs on this front

There's a stickied thread that clarifies the CD mods' position on the subject. Short version: don't ever talk about it, don't even mention it.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The Macaroni posted:

Is Big Fish and Begonia kid-friendly? That is, would it traumatize an 8-year-old?

It's pretty mature, and has a lot of misery. It's the only time I've seen an animated film protagonist get tearfully and angrily drunk in order to drown his sorrows, and it's treated seriously rather than played for comedy.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Got myself out of bed to see the one day only premiere of Mary and the Witch's Flower. Was not worth it.

The movies a mess with a very boring first act and by the end of it only two brief bits of animation ( Letting the animals out of cages, Final boss ) felt like it's own unique thing and not imagery lifted from other Ghibli projects.

Secret World of Arrietty and When Marnie was there are good movies but this movie feels like a soulless cash in for investors.

Most of the marketing and animation budget for this movie is focused on the magic college but as soon as orientation ends it never gets revisited or mentioned

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The Macaroni posted:

It really depends on the 8-year old, but I would err on the side of caution - as said, there's a lot of sad, miserable moments, and there's a lot of depictions of mass destruction that could scare a kid.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It looks like they started recording for Klaus sometime early December. It's gonna be like 3 years before the movie is finished I imagine? :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Got myself out of bed to see the one day only premiere of Mary and the Witch's Flower. Was not worth it.

This is really disappointing :(

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Short Twitter thread I found interesting, and figured some here would as well:

https://twitter.com/juliagalef/status/954827780180492288

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It's probably hard to find showings but the Breadwinner is lovely if any of y'all get the chance

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Shadow Hog posted:

Short Twitter thread I found interesting, and figured some here would as well:

https://twitter.com/juliagalef/status/954827780180492288

The disconnect for me is that I always found this sequence strange but not horrific, at least in the manner that an anecdotal bunch seem to have. I do find the East Coast-West Coast dichotomy interesting, but I think it's self-evident that nothing in the "Pink Elephants" number is nearly as terrifying as the sorts of Hellish poo poo the West Coast cats cooked up. Stuff like Saludos Amigos is actually more like a refreshing detour from the abject horror of Pinocchio or Bambi or what-have-you.

In general, I feel like the premise of this twitter thread is emblematic of a broader disconnect I have with how Disney films are interpreted. And it's not even me being particularly critical, I'm just thinking back to my childhood and wondering at what point people decide stuff like "Pink Elephants" is "nightmare fuel" which is "tonally... stylistically anomalous." Was there really no one else watching Sleeping Beauty and making GBS threads little baby bricks?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Thread has the cast for Incredibles 2
https://twitter.com/DisneyPixar/status/955504459274055681
:lol: at Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks being in the same movie, should have gotten more cast members from BB/BCS in it

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

What's everyones opinion on A Monster in Paris? I was pretty charmed by it and bought the soundtrack immediately

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What's everyones opinion on A Monster in Paris? I was pretty charmed by it and bought the soundtrack immediately

I loved the music and the A-plot about the monster, but the B-plot about the flooding river and the giant plants and the bad guys trying to foil it or whatever didn't stick with me much

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I still listen to La Seine once in a while, it's really catchy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-NbQvhzKM

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

K. Waste posted:

Was there really no one else watching Sleeping Beauty and making GBS threads little baby bricks?

quote:

And that is why generations of kids have suffered nightmares since 1941. The end

This is what I don't get, I can't say that I remember enough about Sleeping Beauty since I've only seen pieces of it, but I did see Bambi and that poo poo actually stuck with me as something I remember as being terrifying, where the whole forest transforms when the Hunter appears among other things. It actually made me hate hunting, which is something my father frequently forced me to do while also strangely making me watch Bambi as a kid... like, waiting to see my reaction to that scene. But nightmares from that Dumbo sequence? I've seen that sequence several times and as a kid I just found it "weird" and "annoying to sit through." Like, creepy and stupid. I'm not understanding the claim about what is nightmarish about it, but it's that it's just asserted and stands to get distributed as some explored case. I have the same feeling about Pink Elephants that I did about things in Underground Comix that come off the way Lex Luthor, as SMG put it, makes remarks about Looney Tunes. The only person that is capable of understanding it is the person talking. What is bothering me so much about the take is just that it seems like someone made a contrasting comparison and decided that one thing had shark eyes.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Boss Baby is good enough for an Oscar nomination.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Corrosion posted:

This is what I don't get, I can't say that I remember enough about Sleeping Beauty since I've only seen pieces of it, but I did see Bambi and that poo poo actually stuck with me as something I remember as being terrifying, where the whole forest transforms when the Hunter appears among other things.

It's just the usual "whoa this kids' cartoon is actually really DARK!" hyperbole. It's interesting to learn what was behind that sequence though, since at the very least it's somewhat out-of-place.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'd say that Loving Vincent being nominated is a disgrace, but it's the Academy Awards.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Looper posted:

It's probably hard to find showings but the Breadwinner is lovely if any of y'all get the chance

Not even playing near me. RIP

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's gonna go to Coco, anyway. It's gotten a bit predictable. (Not that Coco wasn't good enough to deserve it... Haven't seen the others, though. Only one I'm sure won't win is Boss Baby.)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Boss Baby is going to win :2018:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

It's just the usual "whoa this kids' cartoon is actually really DARK!" hyperbole. It's interesting to learn what was behind that sequence though, since at the very least it's somewhat out-of-place.

I just want to take it a step further and say it's lazy and wack criticism/insight to preface your example of actual animation history with a claim that you're not even going to substantiate. It's not just hyperbole, it's that they're not even interested in what they've presented, it's just a statement that I trip over while getting to the sequence. Ironically, it's out of place in a similar way to said Pink Elephant sequence.