Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Now we know who the real terrorists are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
IMO dog murderers should be eviscerated while still alive and their bodies used to feed shelter dogs until they can be adopted.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Please don't feed shelter dogs substandard meat

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Whitlam posted:

Her boyfriend's family's dog is dead, hers is in a coma. The boyfriend's family's dog had been staying with them for a week because they're in South Australia, so she can't even be with the him now. They have CCTV and the woman who did it hung around for an hour, and the police don't think she's from Sunbury. Super hosed up.

Funny you should say they think that, because I heard from some buddies down Portland-way there's been a spate of baitings around some neighbourhoods there. Quite a way to go to mess with peoples animals though.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

AgentF posted:

Scott Morrison on the radio saying that tax cuts lead to a stronger economy that allows us to pay for health, education, NDIS etc. How do they get away with making such a backwards argument without being asked how we we could possibly pay for that stuff if we slash our revenue base?

The theory of supply side economics is that reducing taxes puts more capital in the hands of investors. this capital investments grows the economy and thus increases the overall tax take and economic wellbeing. For this to happen there needs to be unfulfilled demand for investment, and that the investment needs to be productive. Both of those assumptions are on shaky ground in first world economies.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

KennyTheFish posted:

The theory of supply side economics is that reducing taxes puts more capital in the hands of investors. this capital investments grows the economy and thus increases the overall tax take and economic wellbeing. For this to happen there needs to be unfulfilled demand for investment, and that the investment needs to be productive. Both of those assumptions are on shaky ground in first world economies.

But who buys the things?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Des
Des
Desssss
D
E
S

Fuuuck

Opinion: Australia becoming a republic would be a blow to democracy

Des Houghton

I HAVE a horrible feeling Australia will be a republic within two or three years.

And this great nation will be the worse for it.

Now the trendy republicans are trying to hoodwink us into accepting another form of government that is demonstrably inferior to the one we have at the moment.

Along the way a campaign to besmirch the monarchy is gathering pace.

However we must never forget that English settlement had a great civilising effect on this brown land.
Unfortunately, Australia’s head of state Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Australia is regarded by many young people as a dear old has-been. Regardless of what you think of her she remains our constitutional safeguard. She remains a permanent protector of our Constitution. Her very existence ensures out democracy, enshrined in the Constitution, stay inviolate.

Her Maj is 91 and she did look rather frail delivering her Christmas Day oratory.

Republicans are choosing their words carefully but I suspect they are quietly waiting for the Queen to die before they strike.

Republicans hope Prince Charles wont command the same respect when he inevitably becomes king.

Difficult questions remain unanswered.

If we do get a republic, who will be the first President of Australia? You tell me.

Will it be an elder statesman like Phillip Ruddock or George Brandis, or will it be Jonathan Thurston or Wally Lewis?

Will an elected head of state have the power to usurp the decisions of the parliament? Surely that would be a blow to democracy. So the republic was and remains a very bad idea.

God Save the Queen — from republicans.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Centrelink continues burning:

Guardian Au posted:

People phoning about disability, sickness or carers payments waited an average of 28 minutes and 17 seconds, more than three minutes longer than the previous year.

Those calling about unemployment were typically on hold for 30 minutes and 21 seconds, a year-on-year increase of about five minutes.

And young people and students waited on average 31 minutes and 15 seconds, an almost six minute increase.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/jan/23/callers-to-centrelink-wait-16-minutes-for-response-report

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Anidav posted:

However we must never forget that English settlement had a great civilising effect on this brown land.

Is it normal to call Australia a brown land? I've heard red land, very often. Maybe because WA is almost nothing but red. Or was he just being incredibly, and very openly racist? Slip of the tongue? Intentional racism hidden behind descriptive language?

Did this man also suffer a head injury? Are poo poo opinions just the symptoms of brain aneurysms masquerading as human behaviour?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Konomex posted:

Is it normal to call Australia a brown land?

Yes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It references the Dorothea MacKellar poem "My Country".

It is also referenced in TISM's "The Ballad of Paul Keating".

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 23, 2018

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

It references the Dorothea MacKellar poem "My Country".

It's also clearly a massive dogwhistle in that context though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just looks like an old person using a stale poem to appear patriotic to me.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Usually you'd phrase it as "wide brown land" which makes it more explicitly about the land itself, but yeah.. in the context of a civilising effect, jfc.

I'm not going to give the benefit of the doubt.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Triggering lefties amirite xDDDDdddd

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

"please spoonfeed me information about the ~brown people~ who inhabit this brown land"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Recoome posted:

"please spoonfeed me information about the ~brown people~ who inhabit this brown land"

You seem upset that I asked a thread that knows more than me who the prominent indigenous speakers/activists are because I have no idea and was only finding vague pages with no author or horse poo poo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've heard the words "brown land" with and without wide about a million times since the tennis started.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
lands wid

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hot take incoming

"John Howard regrets Gun Laws because it caused the rise of One Nation"

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I've never had my dogs baited but someone gave my duck rat poison once. It wasn't even bothering anybody - it didn't even quack. Weirdest thing ever.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

open

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

hooman posted:

But who buys the things?

Thats another problematic assumption. That demand expands to fulfill supply, and you dont need to worry about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hooman posted:

But who buys the things?

All of the people who now have jobs thanks to the job creators.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

A social worker acting on behalf of a Centrelink client goes through the same call system as the clients, gets put on hold, and charges the government via eg. NDIS for every minute

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-23/salim-mehajer-arrested-over-car-crash-before-court/9351818

quote:

Former Auburn deputy mayor Salim Mehajer will spend tonight behind bars after being formally refused bail over charges relating to a car crash that happened on his way to court for an alleged assault.
The man crashed his car on the way to court (he threw at EFTPOS machine at a taxi driver) and had an ambulance take him away in front of TV cameras. He's being charged for deliberately crashing the car to commit insurance fraud and to avoid court. His accomplices are probably going to be charged, too

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
They’re lifting the cap at Perth Stadium for the Scorchers semi-final. :getin:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

A grownup discussing the issues arising from Invasion Day Weekend:

quote:

After a lot of thought and questioning of myself I realised yes, I am Aboriginal but I am also Australian. A claim to identity I had to make peace with over the years. Apart from having other Aussies ask me ‘what am I really?’ when answering ‘Australian’ to their requests of my nationality, there was part of me that felt like a betrayal to not just mob here and now but to everything the old people went through.

What would they think of me? Would they be disappointed? Would they understand? Would they forgive me if they didn’t? It’s something I grappled with deeply. In the end, I saw that while I am informed by my Aboriginal identity, I am also informed by the Australian identity which inevitably (along with gay, male, middle age etc) gives me my identity. I couldn’t deny it, so I accepted it.

So anyway, I was going to do like a whole footnote kind of thing surrounding how I identify but I’m worried it’ll get missed somehow, so let me just quickly make my point here. To any sideline commentators who think you can take my words and use them against other Aboriginal people about how they identify, don’t.

Please stop trying to stir up poo poo over something you can have an opinion on but not a say in, and is something you generally know nothing about except from your few google searches or that conversation you heard one time. I don’t tell you you’re not actually Australian because your last name says you’re from elsewhere so you don’t get to tell Aboriginal people how they get to identify.

Yes, I know my last name says I’m from elsewhere but when my great, great grandfather was removed from the Daintree as a child, the police just decided to slap the name Oliver on him. He in turn, as an adult, made it his surname.

My journey has been ‘my’ journey. If any of my people want to identify as Kuku Yalanji, Gangalidda, Waanyi, Woppaburra, Bundjalung, Biripi or whatever their clan/nation may be, then that is their right to continue a lineage that has been on this land for thousands of years. Just because I see myself as an Australian, it doesn’t mean they have to. Thank you for your time (this is where I insert multiple smiley faces).

Anyway, digressing again (I warned you at the start I didn’t know what path this article would take, sooooooooooo many thoughts!). So, back to the whole ‘sorta, kinda left’ thing and the time I even contemplated the right. Yes, I know. I can already hear a symphony of gasps and the sounds of people dropping glasses and spitting out their drinks as others fall to the ground in a heap of shock and disbelief but seriously, there was a time I thought I could swing to the right if Malcolm were to become in charge.

Then Malcolm did become in charge and I saw he wasn’t actually a leader. He did what people told him because he actually cared more about keeping the top job than making things right for marginalised groups. He couldn’t lead a poo poo out of the lower intestine.

It's a bit rambley and long but its good. This is why I subscribe to New Matilda, really.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-23/salim-mehajer-arrested-over-car-crash-before-court/9351818

The man crashed his car on the way to court (he threw at EFTPOS machine at a taxi driver) and had an ambulance take him away in front of TV cameras. He's being charged for deliberately crashing the car to commit insurance fraud and to avoid court. His accomplices are probably going to be charged, too
He also got denied bail, suck poo poo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
poo poo's going down along the west coast of the US - from Mexico, to Alaska, all the way to loving Hawaii.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 23, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

poo poo's going down along the east coast of the US - from Mexico, to Alaska, all the way to loving Hawaii.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYRldZsVO9I

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Gorilla Salad posted:

poo poo's going down along the east coast of the US - from Mexico, to Alaska, all the way to loving Hawaii.

Good riddance america, Godspeed Godzilla

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Also I’m assuming you meant west coast because Alaska

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah west. Dumb mistake.

I still have vivid memories of all the footage from the Boxing day tsunami and the 2011 Japanese one. They were a loving horrorshows.

EDIT: And the warning's been cancelled. Tsunamis are one thing which just get to me. The wave coming in and just never stopping. Ugh.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 23, 2018

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
IM READY NEPTUNE TAKE ME NOW

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/australia-day-conservatives-brain-holes-enlargening/

Mostly stuff that's already been posted in this thread, but have you seen this Mark Latham's Outsiders video from the 9th?

quote:

Last, but not least (unless we’re measuring the amount it makes sense, then very much the least), we land at failed politician and failed television host Mark Latham, who now spends his days swiftly decomposing with the quiet dignity of an elder statesmen and lashing out on Twitter at anyone that blocks him with the very loud dignity of a cornered raccoon. Despite the tremendous efforts from the previously mentioned dipshits, Latham managed to embarrass himself the most by a very clear margin, delving into internet video to deliver his blisteringly cold take on the matter.

Latham’s piece of exceptionally ham-fisted satire imagines an Orwellian reality that logically* follows on from discussion about changing the date of Australia Day. This bleak piece of world-building imagines a horrifying future where the drawings of patriotic children are shredded in the kitchen and lovely middle-aged women are terrified to buy lamb chops for fear they will be caught out by the surveillance state. Words cannot possibly describe how nuts this thing is so I reluctantly insist you see it for yourself:

https://www.facebook.com/MarkLathamsOutsiders/videos/1799413400099991/

I like the article author Ben McLeay

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
When I was in Wellington/Napier last week, there were tsunami evacuation point signs and civil defence poo poo everywhere. Coming from Australia, the most tectonically stable place in the cosmos, poo poo was totally surreal.

On the flip side, we went walking through a field on a deer farm with knee high grass of the sort which would be host to like 5 tiger snakes per square metre back home, so there's that.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/matthew-guy-vows-to-teach-victorian-students-australian-values-20180123-p4yyry.html

quote:

The State Opposition has vowed to overhaul the Victorian curriculum and instil Australian values in students if it wins the state election.

And in a move that is likely to infuriate academics, the Coalition has flagged ditching sustainability, Indigenous histories and Australia’s engagement with Asia as cross-curriculum priorities.

While there is no funding attached to the commitments, the documents may reignite the culture wars.

The 16-page document, which features an Australian flag on the cover, says students need a “thorough grounding in Australian values and what makes Australia such a peaceful and prosperous nation”.

“Our secondary school humanities curriculum in Victoria is well meaning but fails to inspire children to understand and respect Australian history and values,” it says.

farrrrrt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They have a point, there's nothing Australian about sustainability, and we've never valued indigenous history or our regional neighbours.

• Locked thread