Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Paracelsus posted:

That one isn't quite so guilty. He's OP early, but then people in the fantasy world start reverse engineering his work and putting their own spins on it so the power level evens out somewhat.

Sort of, but it is still mostly guilty. I'll call it a suspended sentence with community service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you want a good isekai type story you could also go read the web serial novel The Wandering Inn which while not an anime or even that similar to most light novels hits a lot of those story and setting beats rather well.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What are some good animes with tournament arcs or battle royale situations like in the Fate series?

I have seen and liked the following.
-Fate/Zero
-Baki(manga)
-Dragon Ball (martial art tournament)
-Hunter x Hunter(hunter exam arc)
-Naruto(exam arc)

Those are the type of things I am looking for. I am watching One Piece and haven't reached Dressroa yet. I know Yu Yu Hakusho has some tournament arcs but other than that I don't know what else to watch.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
You might as well watch Fate - Unlimited Blade Works next.

The second season of My Hero Academia has a fantastic tournament arc. It's a classic shounen, which it sounds like you enjoy.

I would stay away from Fate Apocrypha.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ulio posted:

What are some good animes with tournament arcs or battle royale situations like in the Fate series?

-Fate/Zero
-Baki(manga)
-Naruto(exam arc)

Those are the type of things I am looking for. I am watching One Piece and haven't reached Dressroa yet. I know Yu Yu Hakusho has some tournament arcs but other than that I don't know what else to watch.

Mirai Nikki

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Just knocked out the first recommendation I followed from this thread, ACCA. I feel like it had a pretty slow beginning and ending that kind of deflated a lot of the interesting narrative threads, but its middle section was fantastic and it was a charming joy to watch throughout. Overall I'm glad I watched it, and appreciate the recommendation!

Either Girls' Last Tour or Shinsekai Yori next, depending on how I'm feeling. Hopefully you guys continue to be trustworthy sources

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yu Yu Hakusho!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ulio posted:

-Fate/Zero
-Baki(manga)
-Naruto(exam arc)

Ring ni Kakero is a series of tournament arcs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

-Fate/Zero
-Baki(manga)
-Naruto(exam arc)

Have you seen Dragon Ball Super? Ignoring the stuff covering the movies it's basically two tournament arcs with a more normal arc stuck in between them.

also girls und panzer and gundam build fighters, if you're okay with tournaments that involve fighting in tanks/mechs. the first half of g gundam would also work if you want one with more stakes than some kids wanting to win.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eela6 posted:

You might as well watch Fate - Unlimited Blade Works next.

The second season of My Hero Academia has a fantastic tournament arc. It's a classic shounen, which it sounds like you enjoy.

I would stay away from Fate Apocrypha.

Ya those have been on my radar I will check them out. I have already seen MHA season 1 so I will start with the season 2 for that even though I thought the first season was a bit too standard.

GorfZaplen posted:

Ring ni Kakero is a series of tournament arcs

I will check it out. I am currently watching Ippo so I might wait to finish that before starting another boxing anime. Almost done with Ippo but it is a slog towards the end.

Endorph posted:

Have you seen Dragon Ball Super? Ignoring the stuff covering the movies it's basically two tournament arcs with a more normal arc stuck in between them.

also girls und panzer and gundam build fighters, if you're okay with tournaments that involve fighting in tanks/mechs. the first half of g gundam would also work if you want one with more stakes than some kids wanting to win.

No I haven't seen Dragon Ball Super. Is it worth checking it out? I remember a few episodes having really bad art.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the arcs that were recapping the movies were really rushed and bad, but once they get to the actually new material with the universe 6 tournament the art's pretty consistent, mostly because they basically stole all the animators from Pretty Cure.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/5d9c93ec32c116af11e8f79ad311a5b6.mp4

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you are willing to read manga instead, Negima has arguably the best tournament arc ever.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I'm going to... cautiously second this

like, whether or not this is a good rec really depends on what "tournament" or "battle royale" means in this scenario. if it's just any scenario where a bunch of people are told to kill each other and the last one standing gets a shiny thing, then, yeah, 100% go read or watch (preferably watch, and preferably dubbed) Mirai Nikki right the gently caress now because it rules.

but with that said, if you're looking for a really clearly defined shonen tournament, Mirai Nikki doesn't have that. it's way more like Fate/zero than the shonen arcs listed, where the series is ultimately concerned with something only tangentially related and the tournament kinda goes completely off the rails after a certain point instead of the tournament being the #1 driving focus of everything. (honestly, the protags spend a pretty good chunk of time trying to avoid participating.)

like, if you're looking for something along the lines of Fate, go for it, but if you're thinking more of the DB and HxH and Naruto tournaments... you'll probably still like it but it'll also probably throw you for a loop and seem like a bad rec for the question

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 22, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Eh I will give Mirrai Nikki a chance. I did watch the Big Order which is by the same author and man was that straight garbage.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ulio posted:

Eh I will give Mirrai Nikki a chance. I did watch the Big Order which is by the same author and man was that straight garbage.

I gave the first ep of Big Order a shot cause I liked Mirrai Nikki a lot and I was kinda mad that it was so bad.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

mirai nikki is good, i will vouch for it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Ulio posted:

Mirai Nikki is a loving amazing series, but it was probably also a fluke, given that Big Order is terrible.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Noot sure if this is the right place to ask but w/e

I like fighty animes, my girlfriend likes lesbian animes, and I've seen someone (Endorph possibly?) describe SYMPHOGEAR as a good lesbian fight-y anime. Is that true? The synopsis on wikipedia doesn't seem very promising but I have learned that anime synopsises are actually kinda bad at grabbing my attention.

edit: actually added anime name, this is what i get for 3am anime posting

Xun fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 23, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're talking about Mirai Nikki then no. If you mean Symphogear but forgot to mention its name then yes.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

If you're talking about Mirai Nikki then no. If you mean Symphogear but forgot to mention its name then yes.

ah gently caress yes it was Symphogear, sorry/thanks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xun posted:

Noot sure if this is the right place to ask but w/e

I like fighty animes, my girlfriend likes lesbian animes, and I've seen someone (Endorph possibly?) describe SYMPHOGEAR as a good lesbian fight-y anime. Is that true? The synopsis on wikipedia doesn't seem very promising but I have learned that anime synopsises are actually kinda bad at grabbing my attention.

edit: actually added anime name, this is what i get for 3am anime posting
Symphogear is fighty but it also has some weird fanservice. Animation is good for the most part, especially in the later seasons. Tone is all over the place in the first six or seven episodes of the first season, it starts really dour and turns into a character thing and then doesn't really have many action scenes until the last four or five episodes. The later seasons are way more action-packed and goofy but they don't really work without the first season. Lesbianism is implied but the only really explicit couple are Kirika and Shirabe and even they never actually kiss on screen, they just sing about it, and also they're only introduced in the second season. First season only has Hibiki and Miku, who are heavily implied but never actually voice any explicit 'I love you's, it's all 'you're my sunshine!'

Though they're introduced literally sleeping in the same bed, which, come on. Also the voice actors have literally just said they're gay without anyone backpedaling.

The show works mostly because the characters are really likable and vibrant and the show commits pretty heavily to their arcs. Later seasons lean more into goofy action comedy which is also a look that works well, the writer has a real head for wacky situations and triumphant turnarounds, though the third season really stumbles with how it tries to give Hibiki more of an arc. The second season has one of the most hilarious anime villains ever, a random white guy from Ohio who went to Harvard and does nothing but quote schwarzenegger movies while running screaming from any actual fight. Like I said however, the first season can be pretty all over the place in terms of tone, and you and your girlfriend would need to be willing to put up with some moderate fanservice. I'd describe it as more fanservice than your average shonen anime but less than, say, Kill la Kill. They dial it back noticeably after the first season but, yeah.

The singing premise is kind of goofy on the face of it, but it works really well in my opinion. The characters getting a power up being accompanied by them literally singing a big song is a nice shtick, and there's some pretty solid music in there. Plus they get more inventive with in the second season, with things like two characters having a fight that is also essentially a j-pop equivalent to a rap battle, and some of the lyrics do actually give some insight into the characters.

In Conclusion: results inconclusive. you can make your own decisions in this life, i can only hope to inform you.

Other suggestions for Lesbian Fight-y anime:

Canaan (More gunfights than shonen action, plot can be a little hard to follow but the action's really well done, the main character is female and in a fairly sweet relationship with a reporter girl that's pretty explicitly romantic though there are episodes where they aren't onscreen together, it's mostly towards the beginning and end of the series that their bit develops)

El Cazador De La Bruja (Another gunfight based series, it's a sort of soft western, the main characters have a good dynamic, unlike Canaan the plot and characters actually follow a pretty reasonable track, slightly less explicitly gay but the characters are onscreen together for the entire show)

those are two off the top of my head. if anyone else can think of any lesbian fight-y anime, please share so that we may all be blessed.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 23, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

those are two off the top of my head. if anyone else can think of any lesbian fight-y anime, please share so that we may all be blessed.

Kill La Kill :v:.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Revolutionary Girl Utena

Noir

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Akuma no Riddle I guess, I dunno how fighty it really is though also it's not great.

Madoka

Nanoha

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kill La Kill :v:.

KLK isn't the slightest bit lesbiany unless you misinterpret a line right at the end of the last episode.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rym6jnnhXJ0

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Watch Dirty Pair and then look at the picture a guy who worked on Cowboy Bebop drew of the Dirty Pair double topping Fae.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh yeah Re: Cutie Honey I guess?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Also, since we just had Devilman: Crybaby as a thing, there's also Devilman Lady/Devil Lady. As it progresses it gets several serious Yuri undertones, though far more male gazey than your girlfriend might appreciate.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

KLK isn't the slightest bit lesbiany unless you misinterpret a line right at the end of the last episode.

I meant it more as a poor joke recommendation really.

For a proper recommendation though; Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, maybe? It's got a bit of fighting in it, and it's a very sweet show in general :unsmith:.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kokoro Wish posted:

Also, since we just had Devilman: Crybaby as a thing, there's also Devilman Lady/Devil Lady. As it progresses it gets several serious Yuri undertones, though far more male gazey than your girlfriend might appreciate.

The anime maybe, as long as you're fine with everyone dying, but stay far away from the manga if you want gay stuff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I meant it more as a poor joke recommendation really.

For a proper recommendation though; Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, maybe? It's got a bit of fighting in it, and it's a very sweet show in general :unsmith:.

it has one fight scene that's played as a gag, come on now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hina Logic is a show from a couple of seasons ago that's ostensibly a magical girl battle show but it's set after the alternate universe invasion danger has passed and is mostly a slice of life cute girls doing stuff thing with a couple of battles thrown in. It's probably not really what you're looking for but it does have the bonus of pretty much ejecting the the 'sub' part of the main two girls relationship and mostly being text or at least as close to as these things ever get.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Are there any good series with a similar visual style to Katanagatari, or at least one that's as interesting?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

most of the stuff i can think of that's similar to Katanagatari would fall into kid shows, but when it comes to just good, visually interesting stuff i'd recommend working through Masaaki Yuasa and Kenji Nakamura's credits. Nakamura has a noticeable throughline in his use of color, but otherwise each series does take a different aesthetic. Yuasa pretty heavily changes his style between projects though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

it has one fight scene that's played as a gag, come on now

Lesbian as all hell, though, so it fits that end at least. If Xun's willing to step out of their comfort zone a bit they might dig watching it with their gf. :unsmith:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Are there any good series with a similar visual style to Katanagatari, or at least one that's as interesting?

besides the obvious examples like yuasa etc, sayonara zetsubou sensei is also very aesthetically pleasing and probably the best of the shaft house artstyle. aint nothing else that looks like Belladonna of Sadness. also casshern sins and madoka.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Lesbian as all hell, though, so it fits that end at least. If Xun's willing to step out of their comfort zone a bit they might dig watching it with their gf. :unsmith:

Well yes but if we just ignore the criteria the people asking for recommendations set up then this thread turns into just recommending the same few anime over and over.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yes but if we just ignore the criteria the people asking for recommendations set up then this thread turns into just recommending the same few anime over and over.

Why, that would never happen on such a dignified subforum as this!

*glances at thread title*

E:

Endorph posted:

lesbians of the galactic heroes

MODS!

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 23, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lesbians of the galactic heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you replace lesbian with a cast of almost entirely men and fighting with space ship battles and political intrigue legend of the galactic heroes is exactly what you're looking for