Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What exactly does INTJ mean in terms of personality? Just your standard goon introvert?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Vargatron posted:

What exactly does INTJ mean in terms of personality? Just your standard goon introvert?

That you're VERY VERY SMART of course.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Vargatron posted:

That you are smart but will never be able to successfully apply it because everyone thinks you're a jerk.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
meyes briggs is good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Well F/T is kinda silly and those would never be opposite principal components but S vs N is the key conflict in the universe and explains all of human suffering, qtiyd

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Vargatron posted:

quote:

INTJ PERSONALITY (“THE ARCHITECT”)

It’s lonely at the top, and being one of the rarest and most strategically capable personality types, INTJs know this all too well. INTJs form just two percent of the population, and women of this personality type are especially rare, forming just 0.8% of the population – it is often a challenge for them to find like-minded individuals who are able to keep up with their relentless intellectualism and chess-like maneuvering. People with the INTJ personality type are imaginative yet decisive, ambitious yet private, amazingly curious, but they do not squander their energy.

Nothing Can Stop the Right Attitude From Achieving Its Goal

With a natural thirst for knowledge that shows itself early in life, INTJs are often given the title of “bookworm” as children. While this may be intended as an insult by their peers, they more than likely identify with it and are even proud of it, greatly enjoying their broad and deep body of knowledge. INTJs enjoy sharing what they know as well, confident in their mastery of their chosen subjects, but owing to their Intuitive (N) and Judging (J) traits, they prefer to design and execute a brilliant plan within their field rather than share opinions on “uninteresting” distractions like gossip.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

A paradox to most observers, INTJs are able to live by glaring contradictions that nonetheless make perfect sense – at least from a purely rational perspective. For example, INTJs are simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealists and the bitterest of cynics, a seemingly impossible conflict. But this is because INTJ types tend to believe that with effort, intelligence and consideration, nothing is impossible, while at the same time they believe that people are too lazy, short-sighted or self-serving to actually achieve those fantastic results. Yet that cynical view of reality is unlikely to stop an interested INTJ from achieving a result they believe to be relevant.

In Matters Of Principle, Stand Like a Rock

INTJs radiate self-confidence and an aura of mystery, and their insightful observations, original ideas and formidable logic enable them to push change through with sheer willpower and force of personality. At times it will seem that INTJs are bent on deconstructing and rebuilding every idea and system they come into contact with, employing a sense of perfectionism and even morality to this work. Anyone who doesn’t have the talent to keep up with INTJs’ processes, or worse yet, doesn’t see the point of them, is likely to immediately and permanently lose their respect.

Rules, limitations and traditions are anathema to the INTJ personality type – everything should be open to questioning and reevaluation, and if they see a way, INTJs will often act unilaterally to enact their technically superior, sometimes insensitive, and almost always unorthodox methods and ideas.

This isn’t to be misunderstood as impulsiveness – INTJs will strive to remain rational no matter how attractive the end goal may be, and every idea, whether generated internally or soaked in from the outside world, must pass the ruthless and ever-present “Is this going to work?” filter. This mechanism is applied at all times, to all things and all people, and this is often where INTJ personality types run into trouble.

One Reflects More When Traveling Alone

INTJs are brilliant and confident in bodies of knowledge they have taken the time to understand, but unfortunately the social contract is unlikely to be one of those subjects. White lies and small talk are hard enough as it is for a type that craves truth and depth, but INTJs may go so far as to see many social conventions as downright stupid. Ironically, it is often best for them to remain where they are comfortable – out of the spotlight – where the natural confidence prevalent in INTJs as they work with the familiar can serve as its own beacon, attracting people, romantically or otherwise, of similar temperament and interests.

INTJs are defined by their tendency to move through life as though it were a giant chess board, pieces constantly shifting with consideration and intelligence, always assessing new tactics, strategies and contingency plans, constantly outmaneuvering their peers in order to maintain control of a situation while maximizing their freedom to move about. This isn’t meant to suggest that INTJs act without conscience, but to many Feeling (F) types, INTJs’ distaste for acting on emotion can make it seem that way, and it explains why many fictional villains (and misunderstood heroes) are modeled on this personality type.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CheesyDog posted:

As someone who has been professionally trained to administer the MBTI, there's two types of results: INTJs and people who realize it's dumb and pointless.

For the purpose of getting employed, what's the right archetype to answer as?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Ive never heard of it administered before hiring, its usually done as a huge waste of company funds by consulting groups to synergize employee groups.

And the good ones are the two that have the biggest subreddits.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Inescapable Duck posted:

Probably been mentioned before, but MBTI is just horoscopes for nerds. Somewhere between that and the 'Which character from popular TV show are you?' quizzes.

I want a website that mixes and randomizes questions from a dozens of personality tests(and 'which <celebrity> are you similar to' tests) and then returns an equally clusterfucky personality description that makes no sense and doesn't have any real relation to any question asked.

And then I'll sell advertising space and retire.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also the exam is based on bizarre hypothetical questions that have seemingly little correlation with what you, the person taking the test, are actually like.

For instance I had to take it once and it said I should become an investigator when in reality I am a disorganized coward who is excellent at worming my way up through businesses.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Barudak posted:

Also the exam is based on bizarre hypothetical questions that have seemingly little correlation with what you, the person taking the test, are actually like.

For instance I had to take it once and it said I should become an investigator when in reality I am a disorganized coward who is excellent at worming my way up through businesses.

I took the ASVAB in high school and it told me I could be a tank commander or a dancer.

So I've got that to fall back on which is nice.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

La Brea Carpet posted:

I took the ASVAB in high school and it told me I could be a tank commander or a dancer.

There's a MOS for dancers? :shobon:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Lone Badger posted:

Apply for more jobs.

I had to fill in a grad school elective with an HR course the covered MBTI and some other assessments. You have no idea if the company is using a legit version (of a flawed assessment), some in-house bastardization of the legit version, or some other assessment that a random corporate person came up with.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pick posted:

That you are smart but will never be able to successfully apply it because everyone thinks you're a jerk.
I am an INTJ and this is 100% accurate

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Yawgmoth posted:

I am an INTJ and this is 100% accurate

you don't sound like a jerk to me

then again I'm not INTJ so I'm too stupid to tell

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm kind of ashamed that according to my most recent meyers-briggs test results (from like ten years ago) I am an INTJ, because the people who are jerks about it are almost all INTJs, but honestly I can't argue with the result itself

it is 100% a spot-on observation

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://www.npr.org/2017/12/04/568365431/what-can-a-personality-test-tell-us-about-who-we-are

The podcast is 50 minutes long (who's got time for that) but its still a good listen.

For the TLDL:

quote:

While the effectiveness of these tests can be endlessly debated, one thing is clear. With a few exceptions, most do not stand up to scientific scrutiny. They typically aren't peer reviewed and usually fail basic standards of validity and reliability. Adam Grant, a psychology and management professor at the University of Pennsylvania, has written of his concerns with the Myers-Briggs, particularly when companies use the results to guide hiring and firing decisions.

"It's a great way to weed out diversity," Grant says.

Full dislcosure: I got tested many years ago, and got ENTJ, "The Field Marshal" Hooah! Which should be surprising to literally no one who knows me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want to be a crew member of the timeship Enterprise J

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

N vs S is a huge divide for real and, surprise surprise, there's a reason why every internet forum on the planet makes threads about it and gets all Ns (usually mostly INTs at least with a mix of P and J). This is the opposite of the world at large where most people get S - obviously if nothing else there's something that caused us all to go online and talk about personality in the abstract okay, even if it's blithe dismissal. 60% of the world is nigh-incapable of abstraction and only thinks about what is in front of them and do what they're told. The Ns generally run the earth until the S folks band together under some charismatic leader and try and murder them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I took a test at the office and got The Hanged Man which should be a bummer, but Ive made peace with it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I would unironically prefer to have a tarot reading on a job assessment rather than whatever the gently caress mental evaluation companies are giving out these days.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

feedmegin posted:

There's a MOS for dancers? :shobon:

Ever since they let gays in the military, officer clubs have taken a fierce turn.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is clearly incentive to invent mecha, so your tank can dance.

Or just cut out the middleman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFNVJSuTShw

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nitr0 posted:

I just went out with a girl who was like this, she made me take these personality type tests on the internet, also she was bald cause she was tired of dealing with hair??? Welp that was fuckin dumb.

If you didn't go out with her because she is a crazy bald chick then it is controlling and misogynistic apparently so you are gonna have to give her a second date now. Sorry dude.

This thread keeps introducing me to new types of people I didn't even know I was annoyed with.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

therobit posted:

life keeps introducing me to new types of people I didn't even know I was annoyed with.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hrmmm. Hmmmm. Ill tidings the cards show true, no promotions until Q2.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
According to multiple tests I've completed my ideal job is "air traffic controller"

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

CheesyDog posted:

According to multiple tests I've completed my ideal job is "air traffic controller"

You’ve picked a hell of a time to quit sniffing glue.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Barudak posted:

You may now think the pay is poor, but you're getting laid off midway through Q4.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Barudak posted:

we've all been there

in three months it'll just be "the fates have spoken their words through me, your career will stay static 'til at least Q3" :rolleyes:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Vargatron posted:

I would unironically prefer to have a tarot reading on a job assessment rather than whatever the gently caress mental evaluation companies are giving out these days.

Tarot cards are real pretty.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's just like the gypsy woman said!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Halser posted:

you don't sound like a jerk to me
awwwww :3:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

La Brea Carpet posted:

So I've got that to fall back on which is nice.

The ASVAB said I was best suited to being an actress. I had a bit role in an independent film, in addition to hair, make up, crew and ‘animal wrangling’. I have an IMDB page, so I guess that stupid goddamn test got it sort of right?

All these personality tests are just excuses for dumb assholes. ‘Sorry I called grandma a oval office at the family reunion, it’s just my type A personality!’ ‘Look, I know I said the Holocaust never happened and got us kicked out of your cousin’s bar mitzvah, but you know us Pisces are are just natural skeptics!’ ‘I had no friends in high school, sure, but that’s because they were too vapid to understand my clearly superior INTJ personality!’

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
INTJ is shorthand for “bad husband”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well based on your test results we can say with 95% confidence that you will miss every meaningful baseball game in your childs life and when he becomes a celebrated athlete you will get 1/10th the page count dedicated to how his highschool coach forged him into the role model he is to kids everywhere.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I had to take the test for one of my college classes and got ENFJ. It tried to paint me as some kind of leader of men.

In my report about it, I wrote to my instructor that my horoscope is more accurate.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

INTJ is shorthand for “bad husband”

Don't forget bad father, as well!

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

hmm says here I got "bad post reader"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Pretty sure I was an INFJ back in the day when I took a few bullshit tests back in high school. Has this impacted my life in any way? Nope!