Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Bradham's deal is up this year, right? He has to be a priority.

euphronius posted:

Kendricks and the center will be gone too.

Kendricks is signed through at least next year, but he is getting a lot of money. He has played pretty well this season, but if the choice is between him and Bradham, you keep Bradham. Kelce has had a monster season and is not going anywhere.

Blount - gone (Ajayi is the lead back now)
Torrey Smith - gone (Hollins could get his spot)
Robinson - probably gone (Jones/Douglas)
Long - 50/50 (I'm sure they'll try to bring him back, but cap is tight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Flip side of the question, is there anyone who we need to worry about leaving to get paid elsewhere when the eagles win the SB?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Foles will have value but he’s definitely no better than a third. Denver would make a lot of sense, Chicago as well.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Amy Pole Her posted:

Lol what the gently caress does Miami want with Foles?

That's what I said about AJ Feeley.

edit: and Byron Maxwell

edit2: and Caveman Kiko.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

very stable genius posted:

Flip side of the question, is there anyone who we need to worry about leaving to get paid elsewhere when the eagles win the SB?

No. They locked up all their core guys to long term deals

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

How long do we have Ajayi?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Holy poo poo how did I miss Ertz making 8 million next year

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

very stable genius posted:

The aforementioned Robinson is only making $775k, so he may go elsewhere for more money if the Eagles can't raise him.

The "big" names I've been worried about are both second stringers, but could get offers elsewhere: Trey Burton and Beau Allen.

Also, Bradham, Goode and Ellerbe are all FAs. I think they Eagles definitely want to keep Bradham, and Goode and Ellerbe would not be big losses, but you have have some linebackers.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Diqnol posted:

How long do we have Ajayi?

one more year.

e: also he's cheap as gently caress (under $1 mil) so if they think his knee has more than a season left they could look to extend him.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Holy poo poo how did I miss Ertz making 8 million next year

Not really sure what this means... Would you think that's high or low for Ertz?

Also, he's making over $10 million next year.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I'm still pessimistic/overly cautious on the Wentz return timeline.

If I'm the GM/coach, I'm loathe to bring him back before like week 5/6 (like, the London game or so), so I would keep Foles for next year to have him start the season

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

If I'm the GM/coach, I'm loathe to bring him back before like week 5/6 (like, the London game or so), so I would keep Foles for next year to have him start the season

Makes sense, but he's only signed through 2018. So if they want to get something for him, it's probably this offseason or never.

Perhaps they keep him unless they get bowled over with a crazy offer and then look to make a late training camp trade to a desperate team with a QB injury like they did with Bradford.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

aBagorn posted:

Expecting Wentz back and ready to play by week 1 is aggressively optimistic, even for Eagles fans in this thread

WhollyChao
Jul 16, 2005

Stand Up Or Give Up

TheChirurgeon posted:

Expecting Wentz back and ready to play by week 1 is aggressively optimistic, even for Eagles fans in this thread

I hope they have the sense to keep him out longer than that, tbh. Makes me think of RG3 getting rushed back to the field and that's terrifying.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I fully expect a regression, especially with the tougher schedule that winning the division creates. I don't want Wentz rushed back.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

a new study bible! posted:

I fully expect a regression, especially with the tougher schedule that winning the division creates. I don't want Wentz rushed back.

Yeah, if the Eagles get off to a slow start next season people are going to be screaming bloody murder for Wentz to be brought back, but I wouldn't even mind him missing the first eight games.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'd be fine with going full Sixers and sitting him out for the season if there's any concern of reinjury, but it's Carson Wentz so I wouldn't be surprised if he's back sooner than expected.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

euphronius posted:

Isn't miamis qb coming back from injury?

Kelce can be cut for 5 million in cap space it looks like

He's gone imho. I guess they'd probably redo his deal in the alternative.

Ditching Kelce would be retarded. He was phenomenal this year

If the Eagles win, Peters and Celek prob retire. Stone Hands Smith is cut, Blount walks, Howie fleeces the Browns for Foles, re-sign Bradham, some dumb team gives Pat Rob way too much money

Draft that LT out of MissSt I guess

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If the Eagles win, Peters and Celek prob retire. Stone Hands Smith is cut, Blount walks, Howie fleeces the Browns for Foles, re-sign Bradham, some dumb team gives Pat Rob way too much money

I'm with you on Celek, who should probably retire either way, but do you really think getting a ring while on the bench will be enough for Jason Peters? I think he comes back. He's only 36 years old! It'd be nice if they could get him to take a pay cut, but I'm still of the opinion that they should keep him around until they have someone better to put in his position. I feel like I've been saying that for around 4-5 years now because people having been calling it his last year for around that long.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

one more year.

e: also he's cheap as gently caress (under $1 mil) so if they think his knee has more than a season left they could look to extend him.

My guess is he is a camp hold out if deal not redone.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

My guess is he is a camp hold out if deal not redone.

good point.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

A year ago, there was talk about moving Kelce because he was coming off a mediocre year and there were some obvious potential replacements in Seumalo, Wisniewski, and maybe Tyler Orlosky. Now? Wis is the starting LG, Orlosky is out of the NFL, and Seumaulo suuuuuuuuucks. They're not going to cut bait on a center who just had arguably his best year and made All-Pro when there's no replacement readily available.

If Peters is done, I'm not so sure the Eagles are looking for a replacement. They're light on draft picks and Vaitai really hasn't been a problem.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think Howie has center down at the bottom of value of positions , that's all.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

NotWearingPants posted:

I think they want to keep Robinson because they need a slot receiver and the other guys project to be outside CBs.

I don't know what they are thinking about with Blount, but he only cost $1.25 million and apparently didn't attract much interest after putting up 1000+ yards for the Patiots last year. I'd say sign him as long as he's still cheap and let him try and win a job in camp.

I agree that Torrey Smith is probably gone, and I doubt the Eagles will miss him.

And as much as I'd like to keep him, it probably makes sense to deal Foles to Miami or Washington for a 1st round pick.

Likely Foles landing spots:

-Stays in Philly as backup, is released in February of 2019 as that's when his contract voids

However if he's traded his contract is for the full 5 years. These are the candidates:

-Cleveland :chloe:
-Buffalo
-Washington
-Denver
-Arizona
-NY Jets
-NY Giants if Eli leaves
-Jags if they cut Bortles
-Minnesota if they somehow manage to fail to resign all 3 QBs

The Vikings option is the one I'm hoping for as it'd be hilarious.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 23, 2018

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

euphronius posted:

I think Howie has center down at the bottom of value of positions , that's all.

Center is probably the least valuable position on the OL in general, but Kelce is really good and has always been a coach's favorite because he's abnormally fast for his position. I'm sure Howie will continue to look for some 7th rounder or UDFA to eventually take over for Kelce, but not for 2018. He's getting at least another year.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
x-post from News/Views.

The Eagles fan who ran into a subway pole got interviewed.

https://deadspin.com/an-interview-with-the-eagles-fan-who-ran-into-a-subway-1822330979

quote:

So how are you feeling this morning?

Emotionally, I feel great. The Eagles are going to the Super Bowl. Physically, I have a little bit of soreness but the good news is it’s just in the shoulder, arm, chest area and I feel better this morning than I did yesterday. Hopefully that will continue.

Have you gone to a doctor?

I don’t think it’s anything serious. I’m going to see how it feels. I may just get it checked out. But I feel great. It feels like I just worked out or something.

So what exactly happened at the subway station?

I think there are a couple of misconceptions. One, this all happened before the game and not after. Two, I was not trying to hop on that train or jump for it.

I was pregaming at my brother’s place. He lives in South Philly. We watched the Pats-Jaguars game, then headed down to the Linc. And a train was leaving the Linc and going into Center City; we were waiting for a train coming on the platform across from it. And I just saw Eagles fans, and it got me all excited.

At the end of it, when I was running toward the train I just wanted to give a final “Go Birds!” to the folks that were there. And that’s when the pole made a great tackle.

It’s amazing how many people have seen this thing that there are “misconceptions” about it.

I didn’t know about this until after the game. I was at the subway station when I got my first text about it, and they’re like, “Dude, is this you?” And I’m like, “It’s probably not, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I finally got it open and I was like, “Oh yeah. That is me.”

And it already had so many hits. My friends started flooding me with text messages, and I realized this might be bigger than I thought.

I actually met the guys who took the video from inside the subway. They were tailgating at the game and had lost their tickets, actually. And when they saw me, they felt like they were seeing Dawk. They got excited. They got pumped up. They said I put them in a good mood in an otherwise crappy situation.

Watching the video again, does it look scarier than it seemed at the time?

I feel very fortunate and very lucky that nothing worse had happened. It’s a little bit of a blur for me. Yeah, I hit the pole, I was on the ground and I got right up. But after seeing that second video where I actually hit the subway train it made me rethink a lot of things. I am very lucky.

How did you become an Eagles fan?

I was a 10-pound baby born in India. I moved to the states at a very young age, about a year and a half. And I grew up to be an Eagles fan. It doesn’t make any sense, right?

My parents were in Chicago for a couple years. We lived in Harrisburg for a year. But, for the most part, from third grade on I grew up in Lancaster County. I grew up watching Randall Cunningham. And that’s where the fandom started. I lived in Pittsburgh for 11 years. I lived in Jersey City for another 11 years—I wore my Eagles cap into New York City every single day. Now, I’m proud to say, I’m at home in the Philly suburbs.

:911:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was a second video where he hits the train ??

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

euphronius posted:

He spins into it due to his doughmentum

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

euphronius posted:

https://v.redd.it/j2cgbu9n7vb01

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

NotWearingPants posted:

That's what I said about AJ Feeley.

edit: and Byron Maxwell

edit2: and Caveman Kiko.

Kiko worked out pretty drat well so happy with that but Feeley was when we had nobody.

We have a long term starter who was injured. Jay cutler was a backup situation. Any other questions on rosters around the league I’ll be happy to help

Also you’re in for pain if you think Foles goes for a 1 but honestly low 2nd isn’t outta the question

Edit : actually i mean... Foles wins a super bowl... could he go for a low low 1?

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 23, 2018

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Pretty sure he was joking around. I hope at least, that was how I read it.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
By low i mean mid 20s Bc otherwise who is picking 29-32 still needing a Q...B...

*sees the Jacksonville logo on the bottom on my coffee cup*

My GOD.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ditching Kelce would be retarded. He was phenomenal this year

Kelce is a good center and a great blocker but needs to work on not snapping the ball straight into the dirt.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

rujasu posted:

Center is probably the least valuable position on the OL in general, but Kelce is really good and has always been a coach's favorite because he's abnormally fast for his position. I'm sure Howie will continue to look for some 7th rounder or UDFA to eventually take over for Kelce, but not for 2018. He's getting at least another year.

Center is WAY more important than you think. A great center will do a lot to help your line get organized and calling protections and poo poo. Trust me, I saw what happened when the Seahawks traded Unger. :saddowns:

That’s not to say QB can’t do that either, but man a great Center like Dallas’ Fredericks or Unger - Or Kelce- is hard to come by and well worth keeping when you have one. More so than keeping a guard of the same skill level, I would argue.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Go birds

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

rujasu posted:

A year ago, there was talk about moving Kelce because he was coming off a mediocre year and there were some obvious potential replacements in Seumalo, Wisniewski, and maybe Tyler Orlosky. Now? Wis is the starting LG, Orlosky is out of the NFL, and Seumaulo suuuuuuuuucks. They're not going to cut bait on a center who just had arguably his best year and made All-Pro when there's no replacement readily available.

If Peters is done, I'm not so sure the Eagles are looking for a replacement. They're light on draft picks and Vaitai really hasn't been a problem.

Moving Johnson over is still an option too, though he's working out so well on the right it may be better not to go through with that.

The only reason Foles is working out right now is the entire line has taken their game to another level, proud of all of them.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

windshipper posted:

Center is WAY more important than you think. A great center will do a lot to help your line get organized and calling protections and poo poo. Trust me, I saw what happened when the Seahawks traded Unger. :saddowns:

That’s not to say QB can’t do that either, but man a great Center like Dallas’ Fredericks or Unger - Or Kelce- is hard to come by and well worth keeping when you have one. More so than keeping a guard of the same skill level, I would argue.

Also Kelce's thing is that he's extremely mobile and is able to pull and get out in front of running plays and screen passes.

People (myself included) were down on him last year partially because it seemed that teams had figured out that they could destroy him with a big nose tackle because he's undersized, but that hasn't been an issue this year.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Moving Johnson over is still an option too, though he's working out so well on the right it may be better not to go through with that.

The only reason Foles is working out right now is the entire line has taken their game to another level, proud of all of them.

Kempski did an article praising Halapoulivati Vaitai's performance against Griffen in the NFCCG: http://www.phillyvoice.com/halapoulivaati-vaitai-owned-everson-griffen-eagles-nfc-championship-win/

quote:

I went back and looked at the game, and on the night, Griffen had two tackles, two quarterback hits, and no sacks. Only one of those quarterback hits came against Vaitai, and it was on a play in which Griffen got no pressure whatsoever, but Nick Foles ran into him on his own while unloading the football.

The Eagles did help Vaitai some, as Pederson noted. They chipped with a TE, chipped with a RB, rolled out the opposite way, had some three-step drops, screens, play action, and a steady diet of RPO's (run-pass options) that all helped slow the Vikings' pass rush down.

Still, I counted 10 occasions in which Foles took a traditional dropback, and Griffen was lined up one-on-one against Vaitai. Griffen got next to nothing in the way of pressure on those prime pass rush opportunities.

In what many (self-included) saw as potentially the biggest matchup advantage for the Vikings heading into this contest, it ended up being a decided victory for the Eagles. The underdog theme just never dies.

I wouldn't want to put too much faith in him after one game, but if somehow Vaitai can become a capable starter it would fill the Eagle's largest hole moving forward. And if Peters comes back for one more year, maybe that additional time/experience is just what Vaitai needs.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/nicky_robby/status/955986469574926339

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

NotWearingPants posted:

Kempski did an article praising Halapoulivati Vaitai's performance against Griffen in the NFCCG: http://www.phillyvoice.com/halapoulivaati-vaitai-owned-everson-griffen-eagles-nfc-championship-win/

I wouldn't want to put too much faith in him after one game, but if somehow Vaitai can become a capable starter it would fill the Eagle's largest hole moving forward. And if Peters comes back for one more year, maybe that additional time/experience is just what Vaitai needs.

Griffin did kinda make a huge gently caress up on that deep bomb to Jeffery by trying to swat the ball out Foles' hand as opposed to going for the sack.

• Locked thread