Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Sludge Tank posted:

Jut lol if you dont open palm slam a pint of espresso before gym

An American (16 oz) pint of espresso would actually be the recommended dose for a large strongman according to 6mg/kg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

feelix posted:

That's loving insane, does anyone actually do this? I'm 210lb, here lemme just take 3 caffeine pills or slam FOUR cans of monster

quote:

The ergogenic dose of caffeine required to enhance neuromuscular performance during a single all-out contraction depends on the magnitude of load used. A dose of 3 mg · kg(-1) is enough to improve high-velocity muscle actions against low loads, whereas a higher caffeine dose (9 mg · kg(-1)) is necessary against high loads, despite the appearance of adverse side effects.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23669879

brb gonna pop 5 pills before my next squat sesh

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
im buying a house and setting up a home gym with rogue equipment. just a rack, barbell, and loadablr dumbbell handles. this will be the year i become a god.

any advice on home gym stuff? im thinking of setting up in the basement since it has heating and cooling, but it’s not tall enough for overhead movements while standing.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Yeah apparently anything less than that doesn't doesn't do anything in acute doses. Which means caffeine pills, cups of coffee and most pre-work outs are pointless out side of the general effects of caffeine.

Another thing is if you're a coffee fiend chronic caffeine use doesn't effect acute dosing for performance.

naem
May 29, 2011

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

that's a book, I had it as a kid

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
gently caress caffeine, how much thc do I need post workout for "recovery"

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

feelix posted:

Speaking of destroying your kidneys, apparently studies show you should take 5-6 mg/kg of caffeine pre-workout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgzOrvbYwqc&t=80s

That's loving insane, does anyone actually do this? I'm 210lb, here lemme just take 3 caffeine pills or slam FOUR cans of monster

I take 300-400 mg of caffiene within an hour of waking up every day, full redline or 2 200mg caffiene pills...

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

nooneofconsequence posted:

that's a book, I had it as a kid

It's also in that weird al song about palindromes

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Just lol if you don't snort turkish-ground coffee as soon as your eyes open in the morning.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I just drink coffee slowly all day every day, to maintain full caffeine saturation.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

ham_sanitizer posted:

im buying a house and setting up a home gym with rogue equipment. just a rack, barbell, and loadablr dumbbell handles. this will be the year i become a god.

any advice on home gym stuff? im thinking of setting up in the basement since it has heating and cooling, but it’s not tall enough for overhead movements while standing.

if you could set up somewhere with a concrete floor and taller ceiling (garage maybe?) i would recommend a weightlifting platform, bumper plates, and a squat rack

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

I just drink coffee slowly all day every day, to maintain full caffeine saturation.

Do you find there comes a point where it just doesnt work anymore and you get really strung out and cranky? I try and take a day or two off coffee every now and again but its amazing how much you dont realise how automated caffeine consumption can be

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

workout in your driveway and intimidate your neighbors

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

nooneofconsequence posted:

workout in your driveway and intimidate your neighbors

I do that but it's a bit cold right now. Would probably be extra intimidating now but I wouldn't want to get salt on my fancy bar.

Sludge Tank posted:

Do you find there comes a point where it just doesnt work anymore and you get really strung out and cranky? I try and take a day or two off coffee every now and again but its amazing how much you dont realise how automated caffeine consumption can be

I drink lots of coffee but also get 7-8 hours of sleep a night and get to bed early like an old. And try not to drink any 8 hours before bed. I'm mostly drinking it to enjoy it but it still wakes me up in the morning. I'd guess we're really in the same boat there.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

The older I get, the more caffeine affects me sleep. Used to be I could have pre-workout or an energy drink around 5 before the gym and be great.

Now, anything after around 12 PM makes me have a harder time falling asleep. Dunno why since the halflife is shorter than that.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank posted:

It definitely doesn't work any more but I don't get any downsides, either. Even if I have one right before bed I'll usually sleep normally. I am one with the caffeine.

It's 7pm and I've just made another one. Doesn't taste as good as the first cup of the day, but still good.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Because that's not how half-life works?

Caffeine has been shown to affect sleep up to 6 hours before bed

Considering that's a medical study with a p-value of 0.05, the actual time it's probably a lot longer

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I sleep 8-10 hours every night and wake up feeling good (apart from my shoulder, neck, elbows and soul).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

feelix posted:

Because that's not how half-life works?

Caffeine has been shown to affect sleep up to 6 hours before bed

Considering that's a medical study with a p-value of 0.05, the actual time it's probably a lot longer

Wait, what, that's not how statistics works at all

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Maybe if I give up coffee I'll be able to sleep forever. Scary thought.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So we die if we stop drinking coffee?

Checks out.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Guyver posted:

Yeah apparently anything less than that doesn't doesn't do anything in acute doses. Which means caffeine pills, cups of coffee and most pre-work outs are pointless out side of the general effects of caffeine.

Another thing is if you're a coffee fiend chronic caffeine use doesn't effect acute dosing for performance.

I take two caffeine pills which is 400mg which has a very, incredibly clear effect on me both in how I feel and look (I get real red lol)

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

So we die if we stop drinking coffee?

Checks out.

I never drink coffee and I am dead can confirm

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Wait, what, that's not how statistics works at all

What do you mean? With a lot of studies, I figure that they could show a much more generous effect if they chose a higher p-value. It's educated guessing on my part, but I figure that they could show that caffeine affects sleep after 8 hours at, for example, a p-value of 0.3. While that p-value is not good enough for a medical paper, it's good enough for me.

For the same reason, I don't think it's stupid to say things like "medical studies show beneficial effects up to 1g of protein/kg body mass so you should aim for 2g/kg to be safe"

Basically what I'm saying is that for things that aren't a big deal to overshoot (how long not to drink coffee before sleep; how much protein to eat), it's probably a good idea to overshoot the medical study recommendation, because those recommendations are at a very high level of certainty.

feelix fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 23, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

feelix posted:

What do you mean? With a lot of studies, I figure that they could show a much more generous effect if they chose a higher p-value. It's educated guessing on my part, but I figure that they could show that caffeine affects sleep after 8 hours at, for example, a p-value of 0.3. While that p-value is not good enough for a medical paper, it's good enough for me.

For the same reason, I don't think it's stupid to say things like "medical studies show beneficial effects up to 1g of protein/kg body mass so you should aim for 2g/kg to be safe"

Basically what I'm saying is that for things that aren't a big deal to overshoot (how long not to drink coffee before sleep; how much protein to eat), it's probably a good idea to overshoot the medical study recommendation, because those recommendations are at a very high level of certainty.

Yeah, I used to think this way also but it doesn't really bear out in the way statistical evidence is constructed. Like if you get a higher (poorer) p-value it just means that your effect doesn't have statistical evidence for an effect in the range you're looking. If you get an indeterminate p-value there are two possibilities - one you don't have enough people enrolled in your study or two there isn't an actual effect of what you're measuring. A "trend toward significance" is not a sophisticated way of understanding statistical evidence. If you show a significant sleep difference at 6 hours but not at 8 hours, it means there's something special about that amount of time not that "it's likely it's a much longer amount of time but you just can't really pick up the effect because of a stringent p-value.

Rewriting all scientific literature to say "if one is good, two is better, if they show 6 then it must be 8 or 10" is not only fallacious, it's dangerous and comically illogical.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Fartbox posted:

I take two caffeine pills which is 400mg which has a very, incredibly clear effect on me both in how I feel and look (I get real red lol)
That's that general effects of caffeine I mentioned. For an actual performance boost better start just grinding up the pills and snorting them off your gym's Ohio power bars.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, I used to think this way also but it doesn't really bear out in the way statistical evidence is constructed. Like if you get a higher (poorer) p-value it just means that your effect doesn't have statistical evidence for an effect in the range you're looking. If you get an indeterminate p-value there are two possibilities - one you don't have enough people enrolled in your study or two there isn't an actual effect of what you're measuring. A "trend toward significance" is not a sophisticated way of understanding statistical evidence. If you show a significant sleep difference at 6 hours but not at 8 hours, it means there's something special about that amount of time not that "it's likely it's a much longer amount of time but you just can't really pick up the effect because of a stringent p-value.

Rewriting all scientific literature to say "if one is good, two is better, if they show 6 then it must be 8 or 10" is not only fallacious, it's dangerous and comically illogical.

I understand this, but based on an understanding of how the things we're talking about work, it's pretty safe to assume that it is, in fact, an issue of not enough data causing a poor signal-to-noise ratio, not something extremely special about 6 hours and 1g/100kg. Step functions don't exist in nature, so at worst, you would get strong diminishing returns going above those values. There's no compelling reason not to stop drinking coffee earlier or not to eat a bunch more protein so why not?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
use your butt muscles to lift weights

also your arm muscles and your other muscles

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

CheesyDog posted:

sage advice

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

CheesyDog posted:

huh??

I'd like to know more about this

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
My p-value is pretty high.

The coffee helps.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CheesyDog posted:

at the same time or separate???

help i need this advice!!!!!!!!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

at the same time or separate???

help i need this advice!!!!!!!!

Clench your butt while you bench for more gains.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bamhand posted:

Clench your butt while you bench for more gains.
Your butt should always be clenched, really. Keeps ne're-do-wells from weaseling their way in there

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
After almost a decade of lifting weights, I benched 225. I attribute my incredibly rapid progress to my stellar upper body health -- I've only had 13 dislocations and four surgeries between my two shoulders

Strangely enough, the world seems the same, I feel like the same person, women don't seem more attractive and I have gained no insight on the nature of the universe

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cool guy bench was upgraded to 250 a few months ago, sorry.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I know you're lying because there's no way the cool guy bench threshold would involve 2.5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
That was on a lovely commercial gym bench too, I'm moving soon and gonna try to find a HARDCORE gym that has a THOMPSON FAT PAD and see what I can do