Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a significance I'm missing with the first sentence or is it just a setup for the second one?

Thweek can't Thweek a Thweek who Thweek'd another pilot ability.

(Basically it stops it from stealing borrowed/additional/etc pilot abilities)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’m going to ask a dumbass question. When people talk about bumping other ships, they mean put their lower PS ship in a position when the other player will almost certainly hit it and have to stop right? What’s the advantage, other then that ship can’t fire on the ship it hit? Is it also for known positioning? You know where the other ship will be because you set them up to stop?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Funzo posted:

Im going to ask a dumbass question. When people talk about bumping other ships, they mean put their lower PS ship in a position when the other player will almost certainly hit it and have to stop right? Whats the advantage, other then that ship cant fire on the ship it hit? Is it also for known positioning? You know where the other ship will be because you set them up to stop?

Can't do actions if you're bumped

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Can't do actions if you're bumped

It’s more accurate to say you skip your perform action step (occurs immediately after you move) on the round you bump. If you get actions some other way or at some other time, you can still take them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Funzo posted:

I’m going to ask a dumbass question. When people talk about bumping other ships, they mean put their lower PS ship in a position when the other player will almost certainly hit it and have to stop right? What’s the advantage, other then that ship can’t fire on the ship it hit? Is it also for known positioning? You know where the other ship will be because you set them up to stop?

Bumping skips the Action step, so you know where they are 100% because they can't boost or BR and they can't get tokens.

I had a game where I set up a forced bump on my opponent's Soontir Fel and he just melted.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Funzo posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/26/turn-zero-block-party/

There's an article by 3x World Champ about blocking/bumping.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Bumping skips the Action step, so you know where they are 100% because they can't boost or BR and they can't get tokens.

I had a game where I set up a forced bump on my opponent's Soontir Fel and he just melted.

New player, 2018: Soontir?... Fel?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Strobe posted:

I heard from one of the local players today that this ruling is effectively to prevent a Y-Wing with Chopper as an Astromech from cannibalizing their BTL-A2 title after the joust if they took no damage.

Have to admit using chopper to ditch the BTL title is pretty genius.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

It totally is. I assume you can still do it if you take a damage?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

hoiyes posted:

Look, my buddy don't really play meta lists, okay?

We've actually never played with bombs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

TremorX posted:

It totally is. I assume you can still do it if you take a damage?

Yeah.
The precedent was already there with Pulsed Ray Shield that a ship can't take an ion token to recover a shield unless they are missing a shield. Doing so would allow a Kirakzh fighter to do a 1 straight move which they usually cannot.

The new language on shields is because every upgrade that allowed regen used the language "up to your shield value" until Chopper astromech was printed, which did not include that clause. So, as written, Chopper on a T70 X Wing with EPT could eat 5 upgrades to give the X Wing 8 shields instead of three. :yum:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

hoiyes posted:

TIE Interceptor ace. The guy only has 3 hull, so he cannot take a hit under any circumstance. He’s usually got 3 tokens to keep himself alive, but if he bumps and doesn’t get any tokens he will likely die that round.

I miss playing my triple interceptor list :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Icon Of Sin posted:

TIE Interceptor ace. The guy only has 3 hull, so he cannot take a hit under any circumstance. He’s usually got 3 tokens to keep himself alive, but if he bumps and doesn’t get any tokens he will likely die that round.

I miss playing my triple interceptor list :(
I think you missed that the OP was making a joke about the fact that Soontir has been completely pushed out of the meta.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I think you missed that the OP was making a joke about the fact that Soontir has been completely pushed out of the meta.

It’s too early for me ☕️

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Thanks for the education on bumping. Makes much more sense now.

When I first started playing I bought an Interceptor and Imperial Aces. I was incredibly excited to play a triple Interceptor list. Then I tried it and got utterly crushed.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Funzo posted:

When I first started playing I bought an Interceptor and Imperial Aces. I was incredibly excited to play a triple Interceptor list. Then I tried it and got utterly crushed.
By God and all his angels, you will learn an amazing amount about judging distance, working around debris, visualizing where you'll wind up after a combination of maneuver, boost, and barrel roll, and so on, flying triple Ints. TInts live and die by your personal ability to read your opponent's mind, and learn to put your Int exactly where you want it.

I really wish the Silencer had been Interceptor Mk 2.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Funzo posted:

Thanks for the education on bumping. Makes much more sense now.

They are extremely unforgiving. One mistake and your interceptor just vanishes. Everyone has that story about losing Soontir at range 3 through a rock to a tiny little shot.

TheCenturion posted:

I really wish the Silencer had been Interceptor Mk 2.

But...they are? The Silencer is a bit more forgiving due to having 2x the health, but also cannot stack defensive tokens, so it takes more chip damage when it's left in a bad spot.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

They are extremely unforgiving. One mistake and your interceptor just vanishes. Everyone has that story about losing Soontir at range 3 through a rock to a tiny little shot.

But...they are? The Silencer is a bit more forgiving due to having 2x the health, but also cannot stack defensive tokens, so it takes more chip damage when it's left in a bad spot.

The Silencer doesn't have native evade, has exactly one pilot that's got a pilot skill high enough to be used as an ace, and (to my mind, at least) doesn't have pilot abilities that synergize with the idea of being an ace arc dodger. It's also awkwardly costed. They're agile support ships.

Don't get me wrong, I like them for what they are, and I've had great fun flying a silencer (either blackout or kylo) with Omega Leader and Omega Ace, but it's not the same as flying Soontir, Carnor and Turr. I truly believe we'll see a "First Order Aces" pack for the silencer just like Imp Aces was for the Interceptor.

Interceptors, around when they were released, really reminded me of Interceptors in the old TIE Fighter game; you were slippery, you hit hard, but if you got hit once, there was that horrible crunching sound and half your cockpit displays died. Hit again, and you blew up.

Get rid of autodamage in all forms, and the Int isn't as bad. Maybe an agility bump to fight off red dice creep. Or some cool Interceptor specific ability like 'if your maneuver this round was a three, add one agility dice. A four, add two agility dice. A five, add three agility dice. A one or two, remove one agility die." I don't know. Something.

I just want the pure, technical joy of flying interceptors, living and dying by your ability to position yourself, and having to really REALLY think about what you're doing, to be viable. Three fast, slippery little remora ships. With Silencers, you can't run three and win the positioning game, as your PS is all too low. You can't fly two, because a) you're not going to be putting out enough damage, and b) you're going to be leaving points on the table. Silencers are great as a component in a mixed force, sure.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I think a triple interceptor list can win, with the right pilots and maneuvers. The meta moved a bit into arc-using ships for Harpoons, so being able to duck dive dip dodge evade arcs and getting into range can still be pretty good. Yeah it’s only 3 hull but if you move just right and get the tokens just right you can do damage. Throw Soontir and Carnor Jax in and you can get in close and deny actions and dodge arcs.

I hope in the future we will see something that can make Interceptors relevant again but it’ll take a title that reduces cost, or a 2.0 update but that’s s pipedream.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I should spend the rest of the year just playing Triple Interceptors at as many local game nights and tourneys as I can. I haven't picked up anything from the last two waves and I don't see myself doing so anytime soon.

I mean at some point I'll become a Grand Master at flying Tripceptors in the current meta, right?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

I think a triple interceptor list can win, with the right pilots and maneuvers. The meta moved a bit into arc-using ships for Harpoons, so being able to duck dive dip dodge evade arcs and getting into range can still be pretty good. Yeah it’s only 3 hull but if you move just right and get the tokens just right you can do damage. Throw Soontir and Carnor Jax in and you can get in close and deny actions and dodge arcs.

I hope in the future we will see something that can make Interceptors relevant again but it’ll take a title that reduces cost, or a 2.0 update but that’s s pipedream.

You can win games against top meta lists with arc dodging interceptors.
The really hard part is doing it 6-7 times in a day without melting your brain

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

I should spend the rest of the year just playing Triple Interceptors at as many local game nights and tourneys as I can. I haven't picked up anything from the last two waves and I don't see myself doing so anytime soon.

I mean at some point I'll become a Grand Master at flying Tripceptors in the current meta, right?

gently caress the triples, go for gold and play 5x Alpha squadron pilots with Autothrusters! :getin:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Icon Of Sin posted:

gently caress the triples, go for gold and play 5x Alpha squadron pilots with Autothrusters! :getin:

I prefer 5x Strikers if I'm going for low PS and zippy. I don't know if it's better, but it's certainly more fun swarming those little bastards around with their title.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Actually lost a game to Soontir on Sunday, Soontir, Inq and Ryad vs Ketsu Assaj. Very cagey ace player, almost never let me get a ship in both arcs, never let Assaj trigger stress, and didn't take a single shot at Assaj except to try and clear his stress. Only mistake was underestimating the speed and I managed to catch Ryad in both arcs once and beat her around enough that I finished her the next round. Got Inq down to one hull, but lost Ketsu on last turn so lost 35-52. Soontir lives! Of course his next game was Nym Miranda and he lost 0-100, because welp.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
If something doesn't do auto-damage, it has to be able to withstand auto-damage. That's pretty much X-Wing right now.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Turns out reliability in a dice game is super loving good. Who knew? :shrug:

Definitely not the Xwing devs

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

Turns out reliability in a dice game is super loving good. Who knew? :shrug:

Definitely not the Xwing devs

Strobe. Strobe, my man.

I saw something that you might love. A lot.

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f...20Squadron&obs=

Video of it in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3t1bjyx-I

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Icon Of Sin posted:

A dude won a regional in Sweden with that. It was only 4 months ago :stare:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

A dude won a regional in Sweden with that. It was only 4 months ago :stare:

That's the thing I like most about X-Wing:

Yes, there are objectively some ships and card combos that are better than others. However, they are rarely so much better that any given match is a foregone conclusion. When they are that much better, there is usually some kind of balance FAQ to reign it in.

The variance in the game, which takes many forms from simple dice to the skill of the players, means that if everything else is equal, that one variant factor can lead to virtually any list winning.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someone won the MD Regional with a Firespray :)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

That's the thing I like most about X-Wing:

Yes, there are objectively some ships and card combos that are better than others. However, they are rarely so much better that any given match is a foregone conclusion. When they are that much better, there is usually some kind of balance FAQ to reign it in.

The variance in the game, which takes many forms from simple dice to the skill of the players, means that if everything else is equal, that one variant factor can lead to virtually any list winning.
Meh, I still say that there should be zero ability to bestow damage in the game. Everything should be based on attack and agility dice, with various modifiers.

I mean, I like Kylo's 'you get to pick which crit they get next, but you still have to actually hit them with a crit' thing. 'Fly through this part of space, and you now take a minimum of two damage, period, full stop, that's that' on the other hand is stupid.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Bombs are definitely out of hand but well balanced auto damage will prevent us from returning to the palp aces or phantom hellscape of firing over and over and not doing any damage

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I agree, all damage dealt should be via a dice roll or based off of a crit card. The red dice are already set for 50% hit Rate, that’s close enough.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Some people (...those fuckers) asked for bombs to be better, and then the monkey's paw gave them the middle finger.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Trip report: Ion Kanan is really good. I think I'm going to take it to system open instead of dual shadowcasters (they suffer vs. big ships)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Trip report: Ion Kanan is really good. I think I'm going to take it to system open instead of dual shadowcasters (they suffer vs. big ships)

Just don't win, so it's not everywhere! (j/k gl have fun)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

enigmahfc posted:

Some people (...those fuckers) asked for bombs to be better, and then the monkey's paw gave them the middle finger.

Were they not paying attention when people got their wish for torpedoes to be better?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Icon Of Sin posted:

It’s actually a good list but it can take practice to visualize all the movements.

I’m not bad at it these days, I love the flexibility with changing the activation orders but even I lose a ship sometimes to bad dice

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Rolling dice ain't like dusting crops, boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I ran that Kaanan/Zeb/rFenn list from a few pages ago this weekend and it's the most fun I've ever had with the Ghost. I didn't win, but it was a really close game that came down to sFenn being able to stay JUST out of my turret range and plinking away at me at little at the time. The Protectorate is such a cool little ship.

About halfway in, I managed to draw sFenn into a narrow gap between two asteroids with the Ghost, blocking him. I 4-K'd Zeb out of the back and had rFenn attacking at range 1; I figured 3 un-boosted shots from Zeb and a loaded rFenn would take care of it, and after my rolls it totally more than should have. But he rolled nat evades and came out unscathed, and that was it for me. At the beginning of Combat he was even like "poo poo, you got me, good game, man." I don't mind losing at all when games totally swing that way, it was a great play and an even better comeback.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 24, 2018

• Locked thread