Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i'm cool with whatever, but im just a simpleton who is pleased with being able to watch a new star trek every week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Q presents in the aspect of a person but he is not a person in the sense that Data, Picard, or the horta are, and I don't think he has the same moral responsibilities as a person. If Worf redirected the ship to rendezvous with the Borg and it brought about the death of some of the crew, he would be morally at fault for their deaths. But that's because he has the same existential conditions as the people who died: he was born, he lives a life occupying a specific trajectory in space and time, he will die and cease to exist, and his coming death is always a concern to him. But Q, with his different access to time, knows that these concerns are illusory: a death today and a death 40 years from now are the same.

Potentially Q could give humanity, and all intelligent species, a cure for all ailments, physical, mental, and spiritual. He could save each (or if not each, an untold number) of living creatures from every moment of suffering they were to have experienced. If a person fails to act in ways to reduce and eliminate suffering of his fellow persons, that is immoral. But Q is not morally in the wrong for failing to do so given his very different status as an entity.

Q is aware that their little "trek" across the stars is all a TV show.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh was last night there finale?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Oh was last night there finale?

Nah there's still a few more

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I've been pretty harsh on STD watching only the pilot, but seeing a bit more I can see why people have said the show has gotten better. I still think it's a mediocre show and a terrible trek but I get why some people are able to get some enjoyment out of it. I'm just really morbidly curious where the ridiculous plot goes now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I actually think Discovery started mediocre, got better just before the break, and has now taken a nosedive with the MU episodes. I can’t wait to be done with this plot.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Q presents in the aspect of a person but he is not a person in the sense that Data, Picard, or the horta are, and I don't think he has the same moral responsibilities as a person. If Worf redirected the ship to rendezvous with the Borg and it brought about the death of some of the crew, he would be morally at fault for their deaths. But that's because he has the same existential conditions as the people who died: he was born, he lives a life occupying a specific trajectory in space and time, he will die and cease to exist, and his coming death is always a concern to him. But Q, with his different access to time, knows that these concerns are illusory: a death today and a death 40 years from now are the same.

Potentially Q could give humanity, and all intelligent species, a cure for all ailments, physical, mental, and spiritual. He could save each (or if not each, an untold number) of living creatures from every moment of suffering they were to have experienced. If a person fails to act in ways to reduce and eliminate suffering of his fellow persons, that is immoral. But Q is not morally in the wrong for failing to do so given his very different status as an entity.

This sounds like Christian apologetics.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Look, did Q cuck Picard or did he take Vash to make Picard jealous like, "Oh look I find this other human so much more interesting than you"?

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Then Q answered Picard out of the nebula, saying,

“Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge?
Gird up your loins like a Klingon,
I will question you, and you shall declare to me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I actually think Discovery started mediocre, got better just before the break, and has now taken a nosedive with the MU episodes. I can’t wait to be done with this plot.

The mirror stuff is definitely very different. It's very grimdark and tongue-in-cheek, kind of like a higher production value version of the late DS9 mirror episodes where Worf is dragging Garak around on a leash. I think it's more fun than the first half of the season but I'm pretty much ready for it to conclude.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PostNouveau posted:

Look, did Q cuck Picard or did he take Vash to make Picard jealous like, "Oh look I find this other human so much more interesting than you"?

Stewart left his wife for Jennifer Hetrick, so I think Picard won.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

So I've been pretty harsh on STD watching only the pilot, but seeing a bit more I can see why people have said the show has gotten better. I still think it's a mediocre show and a terrible trek but I get why some people are able to get some enjoyment out of it. I'm just really morbidly curious where the ridiculous plot goes now.

The main reason anyone even cares about the show is because it's Star Trek and there hasn't been any new Trek in a long time. Otherwise it's a hilariously lovely "prestige" not-cable drama about as deeply written as a 13 year old's goth poetry

I hope the next year is a huge improvement for the show but they've so thoroughly sabotaged most of their characters I can't imagine that happening unless the ship blows up or something and the new season follows an entirely different crew

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, but Q is real

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sisko punched Q and Q never messed with him again. In that punch Q realized sisko had wormhole alien blood and was thus off-limits.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mike the TV posted:

Even so, dozens of crew died in that specific episode when the Borg sliced open the Enterprise.

If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Sisko punched Q and Q never messed with him again. In that punch Q realized sisko had wormhole alien blood and was thus off-limits.

He still hosed with him for the rest of the episode, although admittedly only by omission.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Speaking of the Borg, in the season one finale of TNG with the reintroduction of the Romulans, were the missing outposts supposed to be the work of the parasite aliens, or was it something that was retconned to being done by the Borg, considering that's what they do in other episodes?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If I was a Q, my gesture to use my Q powers would be jazz hands

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sash! posted:

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Speaking of the Borg, in the season one finale of TNG with the reintroduction of the Romulans, were the missing outposts supposed to be the work of the parasite aliens, or was it something that was retconned to being done by the Borg, considering that's what they do in other episodes?

It was, IIRC, always intended to be the Borg, who at that point in development, were an insectoid hive mind and at some points may have been the Conspiracy worm-bugs, and I think it was supposed to be addressed in the next season opener? Then Season 2 happened with all the garbage production aftermath of Season 1, Gene’s increasing derangement, etc etc, and by the time things were straightened out, it was too late to mention the outposts lest you bring up the dread specter of… serialization.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sash! posted:

I would totally mime a blowjob.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sash! posted:

Rainbow farts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pieces of Peace posted:

It was, IIRC, always intended to be the Borg, who at that point in development, were an insectoid hive mind and at some points may have been the Conspiracy worm-bugs, and I think it was supposed to be addressed in the next season opener? Then Season 2 happened with all the garbage production aftermath of Season 1, Gene’s increasing derangement, etc etc, and by the time things were straightened out, it was too late to mention the outposts lest you bring up the dread specter of… serialization.

The original idea of the Borg (as they were later named), and the basic idea of Q Who?, was that they were the aliens communicated to at the end of Conspiracy. However it was decided that the effects and prop work would be prohibitively expensive and so the Borg were developed since their makeup could consist of white makeup, a bodysuit, some vacuformed pieces and a whole bunch of coax cable.

The Neutral Zone was always intended as a precursor to the full introduction of that enemy.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Epicurius posted:

That's why I love mock newspapers in TV shows/movies. They put in the headlines, and maybe, like in that example, some text, but most of it is either lorem ipsem or text they took from old newspapera.

when i make prop newspapers i use articles from the paper whos style im cribbing from the same date the show is supposed to take place on, or as close as i can get. from the SAME SECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and my layout is pixel. perfect. recreation. even tho nobody will ever see it or care, except me, i care.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Tighclops posted:

The main reason anyone even cares about the show is because it's Star Trek and there hasn't been any new Trek in a long time. Otherwise it's a hilariously lovely "prestige" not-cable drama about as deeply written as a 13 year old's goth poetry

I mean, not really. I know quite a few people who are enjoying discovery, and the most obvious thing they have in common is not having given a poo poo about previous star treks. Honestly this is probably a vast improvement over the pre-existing trekkie fanbase :aatrek:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Bohemian Nights posted:

I mean, not really. I know quite a few people who are enjoying discovery, and the most obvious thing they have in common is not having given a poo poo about previous star treks.
I've noticed this too. Anybody who's not really invested in Star Trek at all likes it, think the spore drive is a pretty nifty idea, etc etc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I actually think that Q represents a pretty big low-key theme in TNG which is one of the things people grasp for but do not find in most modern stuff: morality as something internal rather than just a narrative conceit or "the rules of the genre."

Picard is profoundly more limited than Q, but Picard has a moral and ethical grounding which he adheres to even when sorely tested. You could break Picard - the Cardassians get in the near occasion of doing so - but you can't compromise him without breaking him.

Q, by contrast, has power so profound it is just accurately summarized as "omnipotence." But when introduced, as I recall - and I could be forgetting a lot of old details of TNG here - he does not really have a moral perspective. Any limits he has set himself for the purposes of loving with people is just that: Creating a game where there are meaningful "stakes" and thus he can in some sense be "beaten." Q also is clearly not fundamentally satisfied with himself; his power did not come with wisdom or a relief from suffering, even if of course his suffering is much more distant and abstract than that of a starving Rigelian orphan.

Now I want to re-watch the Q episodes with this idea in mind. (And of course, the Sisko, for all his literary greatness, lacks this moral freight, so Q interrogates him once, gets popped in the mouth, and punches out.)

e: I also think Q is not looking for a Christ figure, which is another reason Sisko's got nothing for him. Picard as I recall is not portrayed as anything other than an exceptional, but not anomalous example of Federation society, vs. Sisko wormhole stuff. (Writing-wise that may not have been anywhere near decided yet at that time, of course.)

Nessus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 23, 2018

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I've watched every series of star trek. And that's why i'm glad it's dead.

They did nothing with it. It went nowhere and then they finally killed it with Enterprise. Old Trek was not cruelly put down in its prime. It was a sickly old man with Ebola, bleeding from every orifice. And yes, someone dug up the corpse and is now waving its arms about and performing a macabre ventriloquist show called 'The Orville' but if we ignore them they'll stop.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

:same:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bohemian Nights posted:

I mean, not really. I know quite a few people who are enjoying discovery, and the most obvious thing they have in common is not having given a poo poo about previous star treks. Honestly this is probably a vast improvement over the pre-existing trekkie fanbase :aatrek:

That's honestly one of the things I find most objectionable about Discovery, aside from some of its fans. I don't think new Star Trek shows should be chained to every penny-ante bit of canon from previous series, but it'd be nice if they added to the universe without making GBS threads over most of what came before it. TNG managed to do that, and that's one big reason why it gained such a following after the initial new-show controversy wore off. Enterprise and Discovery seem to have one thing in common: not giving a poo poo about consistency and just taking a wrecking ball to it. That's why I don't pay much attention to most post-DS9 Trek.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's honestly one of the things I find most objectionable about Discovery, aside from some of its fans. I don't think new Star Trek shows should be chained to every penny-ante bit of canon from previous series, but it'd be nice if they added to the universe without making GBS threads over most of what came before it. TNG managed to do that, and that's one big reason why it gained such a following after the initial new-show controversy wore off. Enterprise and Discovery seem to have one thing in common: not giving a poo poo about consistency and just taking a wrecking ball to it. That's why I don't pay much attention to most post-DS9 Trek.
I think continuity should be sacrificed for the sake of a better story but I do not think that it is somehow inherently valuable to throw it overboard. Like, continuity should never be more than a guide for the waveform of the story rather than shackles.

Which is why I can't blame them for not wanting to associate with all the stuff from TNG and on, but I think you could get goodwill if you went "Yeah we're assuming everything is fresh; many of your favorites will likely appear if we have a good story, but you shouldn't assume anything you didn't see on the screen is true just because it was in an episode in 1993."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Tighclops posted:

You're wrong and you're talking bollocks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you can't tell a good story in continuity, that's fine but then don't make a huge deal about how you are in continuity!

Make it a reboot or an alternate universe or a wholly different show, or at minimum just don't talk about it at all.

People running DISCO have talked about it. They have claimed it's in continuity. That's the main reason why it matters.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's frustrating that JJTrek basically gave them the perfect excuse to do whatever they want and they said "nah we're gonna call it a prequel to Kirk & Spock, specifically the TOS version of Kirk & Spock" anyway.

I mean. It doesn't REALLY stop them from doing much if they really wanted to. It's just irksome.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Nessus posted:

I think continuity should be sacrificed for the sake of a better story but I do not think that it is somehow inherently valuable to throw it overboard. Like, continuity should never be more than a guide for the waveform of the story rather than shackles.

Which is why I can't blame them for not wanting to associate with all the stuff from TNG and on, but I think you could get goodwill if you went "Yeah we're assuming everything is fresh; many of your favorites will likely appear if we have a good story, but you shouldn't assume anything you didn't see on the screen is true just because it was in an episode in 1993."

I don't think a story should be sacrificed to satisfy every little continuity thing, but I really resent the fact that Discovery has pretty much written off pre-TNG Trek completely. I get that it's seen as "dated", and that's fine. But I just don't see the point in having all these years of building up a universe just to jettison it when new shows come around.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Because jettisoning is what you do with dead weight.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Then why not jettison the whole franchise and sell a new show?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

skasion posted:

Then why not jettison the whole franchise and sell a new show?

because then you have to make an original IP instead of making money off creative bankruptcy. There's no point in originality when you can point at something beloved and say "THAT'S SO STUPID" and people eat it up and even join in saying that the beloved thing is stupid and worthless.

Star Trek is not the first to undergo this.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

HIJK posted:

because then you have to make an original IP instead of making money off creative bankruptcy. There's no point in originality when you can point at something beloved and say "THAT'S SO STUPID" and people eat it up and even join in saying that the beloved thing is stupid and worthless.

Star Trek is not the first to undergo this.

Ding ding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think it doesn't matter if the show uses or doesn't use continuity if whatever it does is boring and stupid anyway

The whole fact that we're even having this discussion about canon is a marketing tactic, and it works. I wouldn't bother leaving STD on in the background on TV on sundays if it weren't in some way connected with that other stuff I liked and I'm continuously nonplussed by it

e:fb by somebody more articulate than I am again aww motherfuck